Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

at 100 it's too cheap for what it does. 
Even more so when all other battalions are more than double that and do about one half as much.

If it was 250, it'd still be taken.

I don't see them making anything in the current AOS books legacy yet. It's in the everchosen book. They don't have enough new range to re-release it. 
Chaos isn't stormcast, we don't get 8-12 new models every 4 months. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that on face value 100 pts is cheap for what the battalion does.  But I also think that sacrificing models in the units and the fact you need 8 units to complete it does even that out somewhat. 

Really hope it doesn’t go up by too much, but if it does, that the cyst battalions come down by half. 

16 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I agree that on face value 100 pts is cheap for what the battalion does.  But I also think that sacrificing models in the units and the fact you need 8 units to complete it does even that out somewhat. 

Really hope it doesn’t go up by too much, but if it does, that the cyst battalions come down by half. 

I agree with you on the unit sacrifice, but on some, it makes less than optimal units just amazing. Warriors and Marauders mostly. I think on some swaps, (14<--15 blight kings) its more than worth the trade for one model. 

I don't know where its going in price. I can't say. But rumors are that S2D units are going down in prices as well. I'd love for Knights and warriors to go down. (Chosen are a joke on their price and effectiveness. ) and that could more than offset the price of the battalion going up.

The newer battalions are very overpriced. I ran the Blight battalion and it peformed ok. The shooting was pretty much a waste of time in almost every game. 

On 6/4/2018 at 9:05 PM, WatcherintheWater said:

One thing you could try is a lighter color drybrush on the mud. Might make it stand out a little more. You could also try to add some more small bits here and there. to break things up. Light colored static grass like swamp reeds, skulls, rocks, that sort of thing.

Good job on the head tentacles, btw!

Ah, thanks very much for the feedback man, I have indeed done all of those things now and painted the base rims black and they look loads better. 

On 6/4/2018 at 9:54 AM, Soldier of decay said:

So I just ended a tournament with a feel bad loss and I have no idea how I could have stopped it.

i played sylvaneth and it was knifed to the heart. He immediately put wildwoods all over his side of the board including on top of his objective.

i could not advance at all. He never swung at me but casting spells to make the woods explode took 500 pts of my army off the board by turn 2. 

It felt like all I could do was stay on my objective and try for a minor victory. The only way to stop it was kill his two tree lords casting all the spells but he left them deep in the woods so I couldn’t get there.

Any ideas. 

I am by no meanings an expert in Sylvaneth.

But this looks kinda fishy.

In order to arouse the forrest the wizzards have to be within 6" range while your units have to be in 1" range of the forrest.

This should be charging distance to the wizzard. I am also curious how he got it all off on a constant base.

You have to roll a 5+ before the damage to figure out the forest explodes or not. This is a 1/3 chance. If he got 4 explosions off every round he should have casted

12 spells to be in average. Did he cast that many spells or was he just lucky to always get the 5+ off

18 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

I am by no meanings an expert in Sylvaneth.

But this looks kinda fishy.

In order to arouse the forrest the wizzards have to be within 6" range while your units have to be in 1" range of the forrest.

This should be charging distance to the wizzard. I am also curious how he got it all off on a constant base.

You have to roll a 5+ before the damage to figure out the forest explodes or not. This is a 1/3 chance. If he got 4 explosions off every round he should have casted

12 spells to be in average. Did he cast that many spells or was he just lucky to always get the 5+ off

My opponent was casting 6 spells a turn and was getting lucky on his 5+ to arouse, but also cast a spell that made them explode. Giving him 7 chances a turn to do d3 to multiple units at a time.

It was a 1” bubble but the way the map was and with only 1 objective I couldn’t avoid going through the forests. Also since multiple bases can be one forest his wizards were 6” from a forest plate and he daisy chained it down another plate. I had to cross two forests long ways to get to his army. Also when I got to charge finally I lost 2 more blightkings because the forest is also deadly terrain. By that time his entire side of the board was forests, he had 6 I believe. 

Ultimatly just sounds like I got unlucky and not much I can do. Endless spells will make it more interesting next time and we’ll as 30” unblind.

I'm thinking that with summoning being free of the burden of reinforcement points, this could be a way to include some pusgoyles into my plaguetouched warband. I have been paying way more attention to how many contagion points I generate and it's A LOT. usually I summon my three trees and I dont even bother generating them anymore. Often I generate 30-40+ thats either about 6 drones, or 40-50 plaguebearers reliably every game. Sure some will be late game but thats fine!

I think pusgoyles suffer a bit from being low numbers. If I have a unit of 2 and a LOA with them, I can summon a unit of 3 drones to pad the numbers a bit. The drones will benefit from the LOA keywords granting the loci. Also if in range of glotkin (who I use virtually every game) will be able to add another attack. Also, the LOA's command ability specifically says "If this model is your general you can use this command ability..." but thats ok because Glotkin's doesnt! So, if you make the LOA your general, he can take a command trait (which is something I couldnt do with glotkin being my general) and still be able to use the Lords of Nurgle command ability Glotkin has when I NEED it.

So, if I give my Lord of Afflictions Virulent Contagion and Rustfang, that's all cumulative, right?  Is -3/-4 Rend something that gets much use in game?

I'm putting my Maggotkin on the battlefield for the first time in a few hours... picking spells/items/traits.

1 hour ago, grungolah said:

So, if I give my Lord of Afflictions Virulent Contagion and Rustfang, that's all cumulative, right?  Is -3/-4 Rend something that gets much use in game?

I'm putting my Maggotkin on the battlefield for the first time in a few hours... picking spells/items/traits.

Rustfang reduces the save roll by 1 and doesn't actually effect the units save characteristic on the warscroll.  Effectively the same thing but could matter depending upon what rules are flying around in any given phase/combat. He'll get an additional -1 rend from the trait Virulent Contagion. So Festerpike would be at -2 Rend, the Tocsin will be -3.

So, all that careful planning and I still forgot!  My first game of folly in AoS and Nurgle:

1000pts,  Nurgle Vs Sylvaneth,  both of us fairly new.   I took 30 marauders, 4 Pusgoyles,  Sorcerer and LoA.  He played 20 dryads,  Tree Lord something,  Spirit of Durthu (2+ save with artifact) ,  and a dryad wizard.  He didn't have 2 battleline units,  but probably not important.   

He slaughtered the Marauders with the Tree Lord and Dryads.  I in turn eliminated the Tree Lord with Pusgoyles and dryads with LoA.   Durthu took out LoA.  Several rounds of slugging it out and Durthu removed the Pusgoyles for my loss. 

Mistake 1: I forgot about the corruption cycle for all but 2 turns.   Should have accomplished a lot more. 

Mistake 2: I used 2 dice for battleshock when it appears now I should have used 1.  Gave away 12+ too many models. 

Mistake 3: Marauders, without Nurgle synergies,  aren't great.   I will use my Blightkings next time. 

Mistake 4: I put stuff on LoA to kill 2+ save models, but then chose not to charge the 2+ guy...  This cost me the game.  I forgot about both the trait and artifact while killing  Dryads... 

Mad props 1: Rotbringer sorcerer casting successfully 2 Streams of Corruption.   Especially useful bringing down the dryad wizard and lowering Durthu's damage table.  

Mad props 2:  Entropic Chimes.   Now,  I knew this was handy,  but it did not occur to me how handy...    It's so crazy I assume I did it wrong.   Run with hero > end movement > spend corruption points to place Gnarlmaw by hero that just ran > can now charge?  

Mad props 3:  LoA,  even without those rend and save stuffs,  was a monster.   I should have removed the entire unit though. 

I'm going to study harder and try again! 

7 hours ago, grungolah said:

So, all that careful planning and I still forgot!  My first game of folly in AoS and Nurgle:

1000pts,  Nurgle Vs Sylvaneth,  both of us fairly new.   I took 30 marauders, 4 Pusgoyles,  Sorcerer and LoA.  He played 20 dryads,  Tree Lord something,  Spirit of Durthu (2+ save with artifact) ,  and a dryad wizard.  He didn't have 2 battleline units,  but probably not important.   

He slaughtered the Marauders with the Tree Lord and Dryads.  I in turn eliminated the Tree Lord with Pusgoyles and dryads with LoA.   Durthu took out LoA.  Several rounds of slugging it out and Durthu removed the Pusgoyles for my loss. 

Mistake 1: I forgot about the corruption cycle for all but 2 turns.   Should have accomplished a lot more. 

Mistake 2: I used 2 dice for battleshock when it appears now I should have used 1.  Gave away 12+ too many models. 

Mistake 3: Marauders, without Nurgle synergies,  aren't great.   I will use my Blightkings next time. 

Mistake 4: I put stuff on LoA to kill 2+ save models, but then chose not to charge the 2+ guy...  This cost me the game.  I forgot about both the trait and artifact while killing  Dryads... 

Mad props 1: Rotbringer sorcerer casting successfully 2 Streams of Corruption.   Especially useful bringing down the dryad wizard and lowering Durthu's damage table.  

Mad props 2:  Entropic Chimes.   Now,  I knew this was handy,  but it did not occur to me how handy...    It's so crazy I assume I did it wrong.   Run with hero > end movement > spend corruption points to place Gnarlmaw by hero that just ran > can now charge?  

Mad props 3:  LoA,  even without those rend and save stuffs,  was a monster.   I should have removed the entire unit though. 

I'm going to study harder and try again! 

Yeah marauders would be marked with nurgle so are affected by ALL buffs that dont specify nurgle demons. You did the entropic chimes right. 

hi guy noob question here . I have read a lot of great tactic and list building here but i a little confuse . For exemple the blight Drone i have read a lot of tactic whit the Drone and the lord of Affliction for the +1 attact but when i look at the drone on the AoS APP on my phone its say that the get mortal wonds on 6+ instend of the +1 attack. Same for the GuO its comment abbility is différant online and i dont see a profile for the bell or the bileblade...

Do i use the profile on the APP or in my Maggotkin battletome

Thanks and sorry for my poor anglish

16 minutes ago, Splax said:

hi guy noob question here . I have read a lot of great tactic and list building here but i a little confuse . For exemple the blight Drone i have read a lot of tactic whit the Drone and the lord of Affliction for the +1 attact but when i look at the drone on the AoS APP on my phone its say that the get mortal wonds on 6+ instend of the +1 attack. Same for the GuO its comment abbility is différant online and i dont see a profile for the bell or the bileblade...

The app and gw website are entirely unreliable. The battletome is fully correct (though you will want to look at the errata for chaos!).  There's still quite a few out-of-date warscrolls on the app and the site, and the app has a couple of incorrect warscrolls for specific models too. 

On 6/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, sal4m4nd3r said:

I'm thinking that with summoning being free of the burden of reinforcement points, this could be a way to include some pusgoyles into my plaguetouched warband. I have been paying way more attention to how many contagion points I generate and it's A LOT. usually I summon my three trees and I dont even bother generating them anymore. Often I generate 30-40+ thats either about 6 drones, or 40-50 plaguebearers reliably every game. Sure some will be late game but thats fine!

I think pusgoyles suffer a bit from being low numbers. If I have a unit of 2 and a LOA with them, I can summon a unit of 3 drones to pad the numbers a bit. The drones will benefit from the LOA keywords granting the loci. Also if in range of glotkin (who I use virtually every game) will be able to add another attack. Also, the LOA's command ability specifically says "If this model is your general you can use this command ability..." but thats ok because Glotkin's doesnt! So, if you make the LOA your general, he can take a command trait (which is something I couldnt do with glotkin being my general) and still be able to use the Lords of Nurgle command ability Glotkin has when I NEED it.

:P and summoning doesn't seem a bit strong to you eh? :P:P

Summoning has always been an issue, even when points had to be allotted. There was no way to really reliably stop someone from dropping literally ANYTHING on the table. Yeah, you had the opportunity to deny the spell, but eventually there'd be a Bloodthirster in your face (usually on like, turn 3). Highly impactful, and I'll admit to using such shenanigans on occasion?.

That being said, I'm all for the new approach. No more summoning from outside of your alliance, so no more LoC autocasts for aforementioned BTs?

But what about not being able to deny summoning? It's no longer a "spell".

Denying the point accumulation becomes supremely important. It's not that hard to slow down the accumulation of contagion points, for example. Deny your backfield to your opponent, something you should be doing already, and he won't get 3 CP for that.Putting a cheap chaff unit near a gnarlmaw and risking the paltry one MW will deny the d3 CP there. This will certainly slow the accumulation of points, at least for Nurgle. I'm sure that other suitable ways to mitigate these points will become evident when the new book hits the shelves and people start using them.

It's going to take a lot of finesse to accumulate, and then decide what to do with these points. As well as when and where to deploy these (probable) small units.

Seems as though it's back to the drawing board, kids.

Anyone feel like discussing their list ideas so far?

Local GW is kicking off the new edition with a 1000 points tournament on release - I realize some of these point-values might see adjustments, but here's what I'm thinking of bringing:

Spoilpox Scrivener - 100

Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle x2 - 120x2

Plaguebearers 10x2 - 120x2

Nurglings - 100

Putrid Blightkings 5x2 - 160x2

Plenty of bodies for holding objectives or screening my casters, 2 casters to deal with all the new magic, a batch of nurglings to drop in enemy territory for extra contagion points early on, blightkings to hammer and splash healing to other units - And a scrivener to buff the plaguebearers and carry The Witherstave. Might bring The Bountiful Swarm instead of The Witherstave to make use of the new rules regarding unit cohesion.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:53 PM, Splax said:

Delete the Warscroll in the App and download it again, worked for me :)

5 hours ago, Avvien said:

Local GW is kicking off the new edition with a 1000 points tournament on release - I realize some of these point-values might see adjustments, but here's what I'm thinking of bringing:

Spoilpox Scrivener - 100

Nurglings - 100

Plenty of bodies for holding objectives or screening my casters, 2 casters to deal with all the new magic, a batch of nurglings to drop in enemy territory for extra contagion points early on, blightkings to hammer and splash healing to other units - And a scrivener to buff the plaguebearers and carry The Witherstave. Might bring The Bountiful Swarm instead of The Witherstave to make use of the new rules regarding unit cohesion.

I think plagueBearers rely a Lot in Numbers u should Take 1x30 and Drop spoilpox

10 hours ago, Avvien said:

Spoilpox Scrivener - 100

Nurglings - 100

Drop spoilpox 

Maybe add gutrot or Festus or lord of plague instead of the second poxbr

Add 10 plagueb to the unit of 20

-100-120+80+140

Archived