Best all-cavalry army

neiras3

Hello everyone,

I would like to create a ~1000p army with only cavalry and perhaps a monster-dragon as a leader, but focusing on cavalry battleline. Is it feasible? Do you guys have any idea of what to choose? I thought of Order Draconis (dragonlord + dragon blades), Soulblight (bloodknights + VLoZD) and Slaves to darkness (chaos knights + some monster).

Maybe you have experienced such an army and I would like to know the pros and cons and if it is feasible or not.

Thank you very much!

Slaves to Darkness will probably be you most economical. You can get both Chaos Knights and Chaos Marauders Horsemen plus a Chaos Lord on Manticore.

Chaos Lord on Manticore 300pts

5x Chaos Knights 200 pts

5x Chaos Knights 200 pts

5x Chaos Marauder Horsemen 100 pts

5x Chaos Marauder Horsemen 100 pts

5x Chaos Marauder Horsemen 100pts

1000/1000pts

Ok serious post. It depends a few things

size, best looking, most fun? Or best table top potential, finance.

You could run 2 units of 5 chaos knights 3 units of 10 marauder horsemen and a Lord on manticore, this looks great costs are ok but doesn't do alot on the table.

You could run 2 units of 5 bloodkights and a vlozd, again amazing look, good on the table but costs alot unless you proxy.

You could run some seraphon cav, 2 units of 10 saraus knights, a saraus old one on carnosaur and a troglidon, looks amazing, cheap to buy. Meh on the table.

There's a surprising amount of choices but it depends what you're after most.

Love the guys on the hens... hahaha

OK Arkiham you are right. I would like a combination of all (I know it is extremely difficult). Priorities are:

1) Table top potential (probably the most difficult issue)

2) Best looking

3) Others (for blood knights I would proxy dragon blades and paint them red for example)

I saw a few days ago a guy running 20 chaos knights + chaos lord on daemonic mount + chaos spawn but he was a newbie (more or less like me) so I could not get much info about it...

Thank you all guys!!!

3 minutes ago, neiras3 said:

Love the guys on the hens... hahaha

OK Arkiham you are right. I would like a combination of all (I know it is extremely difficult). Priorities are:

1) Table top potential (probably the most difficult issue)

2) Best looking

3) Others (for blood knights I would proxy dragon blades and paint them red for example)

I saw a few days ago a guy running 20 chaos knights + chaos lord on daemonic mount + chaos spawn but he was a newbie (more or less like me) so I could not get much info about it...

Thank you all guys!!!

I think your best bet would be Order and not limit yourself to a faction.

That way you have more options available. Brettonians are good, elf riders are fast but fragile, Demigryph have a little more staying power and with the upcoming mounted stormcasts you get even more options. From all those options it should be possible to get a fairly good list. 

BTW: @Sarkazim shared his experiences with an army of Dark Riders, might be good to check it out. 

For myself, the closest to a all cav army I'd be willing to take is.

9 Skullcrushers, 3 units of 3.

Mighty lord of chaos on Skullcrusher. 

2 gorebeast chariots of khorne

Chaos lord of khorne on Daemonic Mount

2 units of 10 chaos knights. 

Unsure how much that costs but something like that 

The saraphon cav list isn't too boring as it's one of the few hero-hammer list if you use i think the blood claw starcost. Get 4 carnasuars all buffing each other and going nuts. Then the saurus knights flank, and control the baord while your dinos gobble up enemy armies. 

Best Looking?

Well, a Bonesplitter Snaga Rukk comes in at 1000pts on the dot. :-)

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Maniak Weirdnob (100)

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
- Bonesplitterz Battleline
5 x Savage Boarboyz (120)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)

Units

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (40)

Total: 1000/2000

I have the models but I still have to paint 1 Dragonlord and 3 Dragonblades for it to be complete.

I have tried though the Dragonlord Host + 2 Dragon Nobles in 1000 pts games and I tabled my opponents with ease.

What I feel is that this list is do or die. You either crush your opponent in one fell swoop or you get stuck.

Have in mind that all the Dragonlords must be equiped with the Dragonhorn for maximum mayhem... :)

I haven't sat down and made a list because they're my son's army, but it seems like you could make a really great looking mounted army with the Seraphons. With their Carnasaur heroes, mounted flyers and calvary, and all their monsters that have lizards on their backs. I don't know about rules wise, but visually it would be stunning.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

This question makes me sad a little bit, because for the most part they compendium'd then dropped a load of cavalry models across the board #ripbretonnia. I do wonder whether there will be pony riders in any form for the human and elf factions in the future, because the current offerings (I think for all factions to be honest) are a bit weak, and a true cavalry army is a bit bland. I guess because they have knights, marauders, vanguard and chariots, that chaos aren't the worst in the world.

On another rant note, and just incase you needed reminding again, I want my Pegasus and ponys back GW! :D

3 hours ago, Nubgan said:

I guess because they have knights, marauders, vanguard and chariots, that chaos aren't the worst in the world.

Don't forget Skullcrushers, Bloodcrushers and Hellstriders.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, neiras3 said:

@Siegfried VII have you tested this one? I really love the models...

I've ran this list a few times - it's different!

With the horns blowing, and rerolls to hit, the once per battle ability of the Battalion to move in the hero phase really makes this a huge one hit wonder - although I've only managed to get it to work effectively the once!

Against armies with set up shenanigans it suffers, since you really have to focus everything on Turn 1 to get the full effect. And even when playing against armies that deploy 'normally' it's relatively easy to mitigate against the first turn carnage by feeding it with some dragon fodder, and then retaliating with the heavy hitters - at least that's what my opponents have been doing!

But, it is a glorious sight to behold those 3 Dragons and their DragonBlades charging straight off, all horns blaring!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 10:55 AM, Siegfried VII said:

I have the models but I still have to paint 1 Dragonlord and 3 Dragonblades for it to be complete.

I have tried though the Dragonlord Host + 2 Dragon Nobles in 1000 pts games and I tabled my opponents with ease.

What I feel is that this list is do or die. You either crush your opponent in one fell swoop or you get stuck.

Have in mind that all the Dragonlords must be equiped with the Dragonhorn for maximum mayhem... :)

So, I just pulled the trigger and picked this list up. I have a question about running the two battalions. Now, because you take two battalions, may you trigger the ability for that first battalion say turn 1 hero phase and then trigger the second battalions ability in a later hero phase? What is the benefit of running two battalions?

5 minutes ago, Slick_Kid said:

So, I just pulled the trigger and picked this list up. I have a question about running the two battalions. Now, because you take two battalions, may you trigger the ability for that first battalion say turn 1 hero phase and then trigger the second battalions ability in a later hero phase? What is the benefit of running two battalions?

Yes you can do that and use the battalion abilities in different turns and it can be beneficial as you wipe off the screen units on turn 1 and then hit them again with the second wave on turn 2 if you like.

The second battalion enables you to go from the first turn "Double Dragon" on your opponent which is cool, it limits the deployment drops helping you to get the first turn priority pick and also gives you an extra artifact to use! :)

On 1/30/2017 at 1:55 PM, Siegfried VII said:

I have 2500 points of Draconis, he is correct it is do or die. 

If people know what to expect, it usually can be countered during deployment. If they don't, its usually a turn 1/2 table.

Archived