Do you have an easy project and a hard project?

polarbear

Hi all, curious about your painting habits.

I've found that I operate at peak happiness if I have an easy project and a hard project going.

Right now, I am putting in a lot of work on each Bonesplitterz model I have, while I've found a super lazy way to drybrush my way to okay results on all these Stormcast models I have.

Sometimes I want to be detailed and work hard to make a good looking mini (for my standards anyway), but a lot of the time I just want to throw on some videos and half-watch them while drybrushing and washing an assembly line.

It's nice to not have to concentrate hard every time I sit down to paint, because I don't always feel like concentrating but I do always want to make painting progress.

What is your painting habit?

That's a nice idea, I think it would work for me. I usually lose momentum when painting if the next batch seems too daunting or samey, so introducing a bit of variety in this way without losing focus completely would be great.

I think my hard project would be batch painting units and my easy project would be either individual models (to work out colour schemes for the next batch) or bits of scenery (which are often a quick drybrush or two and that's them done).

Sounds like a New Year's resolution incoming! :)

I always have a intricate model on the go. However i will paint it over a peirod of months alongside my back log of multi model units.

Usually i try to paint something from a different army to avoid me getting bored of certain colors (Seriously did my wood elves all together and couldnt stand the site of greens and browns for months afterwards.

The "easy" models reign me in as i find i can quite easily get over enthusiastc with the larger models and not allow them enough time to dry or possibly not get enough value for money in terms of painting time.

My last completed set was Nagash alongside a group of Hexwratihs, Then Grail Knights and then Ironbreakers.

Now im painting a Mortis Engine alongside some Space Marine color schemes experiements for my new chapter army.

I do it within the parameters of a single army. 

Hard being the basic troops and easy being the heros. 

Hard because of the sheer numbers of models to paint. But Hero's are easy because you can take your time and really enjoy the process. Plus, having painted 30/40/60 basic troops in a particular scheme you have a really good command of it before going into your heros. 

I don't do easy and hard - I just do "heavily varied."

I get bored of painting multiple models for the same army easily, so I get through my hobby bouncing through multiple projects. 

Right now, my painting table consists of the following:

1 Knight Vexillor

5 Blood Warriors

5 Silver Helms

6 Giant Snowmen (Kings of War Christmas Themed army)

Arkham City Bane (Batman Miniatures Game

1 Iron Warriors Land Raider

1 Nurgle Heldrake

3 Nurgling bases

1 Giant Sharkman (DeepWars)

I don't usually, but right now I am slogging through Ardboyz and also painting a skink Starpriest. The skink is a for a painting competition in my local GW, where you bought something under £20 and a base or layer paint, that got wrapped, and on the 1st of December everyone who entered got one at random and have to use the paint bundled as the primary colour. Fortunately I got Slaanesh Grey, which I think is a nice colour and I don't own, as my collection is rather orruk-ey (green, red, metallic, brown, bone). 

So for the skink I am pulling out all the stops, whereas the ardboyz I am doing to a reasonably good standard, which I think I am settling in to being my unit standard, since I am usually a character painter.

I don't have an easy and a hard project. I have a project where the next step is something that's difficult, time-consuming, or not working out as well as I would like it to be, and a distraction project, so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time not working on the hard part of another project.

It's less that I choose a "hard" project to work on, and more that I choose a project, and I come to a task that's hard for me to overcome. Painting on models that have already been painted on before is a mental thing I can't get past (I don't know why). Using my cordless drill is big (though learning to use green stuff has helped in that endeavor. Priming is probably the biggest challenge I have, because I've never had a good experience with priming (Bad coverage, grainy coverage, taking a lot of time to prime, etc).

I do have easy and "hard" projects or mainly just more time consuming but still no showcase look or anything.

The nurgle stuff that I have on my thread falls into the easy side with them being mainly (not totally) painted by drybrushing and washing and I do have couple pics of my Stormcast there too which Im painting to look nice imo but not go too long into the deep end :) just something that takes time and looks fine but no showcase.

I really love painting the nurgle stuff sometimes, its so relaxing and you get results fast, atleast for my standards, like a Blightking a day and 10 wolves in like two n half days. 

I have waaay too many army projects and Im working on trying to make some other project as easy as my nurgle one. Its always a nicer feel when you can put a finished mini into the glass cabinet rather than looking at the piles of boxes and grey frames, especially when you actually can think of a colour scheme that is fast and easy to paint, yet you dont feel like youre painting something crappy looking and way lower standard than your normal painting. 

I think it all comes to the colours you pick whether you can even achieve an easy project.

5 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

I fall in love with different armies every day. I hate painting troops, i think small model count armies are the only way for me to get stuff done reliably.

Exactly this. It took me about a year to paint my Freeguild, and I can see from the newer models how much I've improved, which kills me.

its taken about the same time to do my Scourge Privateers, and 60 corsairs nearly killed me. 

Having said that, I really enjoy painting the models, and find it extremely relaxing, but after a while the standard troops become a chore  

Still stuck utterly in modelling and sculpting.

I try to have a hard and an easy project there, but found it hard to differentiate before diving in. I sure thought my unit of 10 Chaos Warriors would be a "fast and easy", but they are my hardest and slowest yet, as there is a lot of fine detail to be sculpted. On the other hand, my Slaughterpriest turned out comparably easy and is nearly finished.

In the end, I am a "lots of projects at once" type, with currently a unit, a character and a behemoth in the works, with two near completion units shelved. I guess it will be similar painting, but we will see.

I swore to myself my giant would be my first painted model when I got back into the hobby and he is turning out to be a drawn out affair, though nearing detail work.

I'm sure I could do things more effeciently, but going where my mood takes me is less draining and I'm still making progress and get everything to the same standart, so I am happy with my haphazard approach.

I don't play games with my mini's so I don't need to paint lots of troops. I paint what i'm enthousiastic about at that moment. It helps that I base my models around a story, so I know 'who' i'm painting. For the cult of slaanesh i'm working on I decided that every unit should consist out of 6 models (the sacred nummer of slaanesh) and most units have a banner (love painting banners). Because the units are small I can treat every model like a character. I want to enjoy painting every single model. 

I do have a tendency to buy a model or bits when I have a cool idea for a conversion, but it can take Months before it gets painted.

3 hours ago, elfhead said:

I do have a tendency to buy a model or bits when I have a cool idea for a conversion, but it can take Months before it gets painted.

Amen to that lol :D 

Just painted a conversion for inq28, which had been lying on and off my desk for something like one n half years. 

I'm predominately a modeller, and work in monthly cycles around my paycheck, painting takes very much a back seat to building or designing cool conversions or kitbashes.

When I do paint, it's mostly short bursts, so I'll pick up a character or a small handful of miniatures and paint them start to finish in 1 to 2 days. Even my big models will usually be done in that timeframe

Archived