WHFB Characters -> AoS

What characters would you like to see reused in AoS, or dont want to make a comeback at all? Or do you think AoS should create its own unique characters?

Normally i go first, but i have to think about this one for a bit.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

I would love to see some kind of Necrarch-line if SBGL complete with double cast Vampire lords (but weaker in melee). Thats pretty much the only thing I miss from the SBGL which otherwise a really good tome.

Edit: Since we're talking characters. Zach or Melkhior. Seems like these sneaky death lords also have a viable reason to "somehow they returned." :D 

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 1

• Gitzdee changed the title to WHFB Characters -> AoS

Personally, I am have not problem with the WHFB characters that are already in the game. AoS is Warhammer after all. For most of the returning characters that we have right now, there is at least some amount of justification for why they are still around (Sigvald is probably the weakest character in this regard). I have not problem with characters like Tyrion or Malerion being added, either. There are good reasons to have them return to the setting.

But AoS needs to be careful with this kind of thing. Among a lot of people who are unfamiliar with the game, there still is a prevalent misconception that "AoS is that game where everyone is a god and nobody ever dies". Coupled with the less-defined geography of the setting, I have seen people say they are not interested in AoS because they feel like battles have no impact on anything. I think having a lot of returning "immortal" characters contributes to that.

I think overall, the switch from WHFB to AoS, painful as it was, was a big opportunity to for the writers to free themselves from the burden that working within a highly established, highly detailed setting like the Old World brings with it. Going back now and re-introducing a lot of characters that, while they might have been interesting in WHFB in their own right, are not that important in the grand scheme of things, I think would be a miss-step. It would just make the Mortal Realms even more about the relationships between characters that are actually from another world that died before any of the people in the setting even existed.

The Mortal Realms have enough going on as a setting that they should be able to furnish most character archetypes natively, and in a way that actually interacts with the setting itself. Unless the relationships between these old characters are really important to what the writers are trying to do, I am strongly in favor of just introducing new characters.

• Like 2

I havent played whfb that much so im not that deep into the lore. I know about Throgg but i think we wont be seeing him back with the new Troggoth king we recently got. I dont feel any need to see any of the old O&G characters back. I like Gordrakk, Gobsprakk and Skragrott. Dont like Kragnos but i guess i dont need to like all Destruction characters. I hope we get to see some good new Gitmob, Spiderfang and Bonesplitterz characters 4th edition. 

I know its the undead thing to be uhm... undead but i would like to see some more new characters enter the main stage and battle Nagash for the throne.

7 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I know its the undead thing to be uhm... undead but i would like to see some more new characters enter the main stage and battle Nagash for the throne.

Realistically, we know that one of the reasons why we have all those undead characters still running around is just because we got the Nagash and Mortarch kits in the end times and they were not about to throw the molds for those expensive centerpiece kits into the trash after half an edition. But more recently GA: Death has actually been pretty good about introducing new characters.

I would agree that there are so many possibilities for new stories it might be a waste to just retell the old ones.

But then i just recently had my old WHFB 5.Ed Champions of Chaos book in hand and mused about those that actually never got a model or more than a few pages of fluff 

Count Mordrek is just SUCH an interesting concept. Immortality as a curse might no longer count as "new" but it does work quite well in AoS over the top storytelling. 

https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mordrek

• LOVE IT! 1

I have but one glorious name for you... Azazel!! 

He'd be a seamless fit for A of S. He's an immortal daemon, so no need for a tricksy explanation for his presence. He's got personal history with Sigmar. And can you imagine the field day they'd have creating a gorgeous new model for him? One in the vein of the new Be'lakor. C'mon, he's owed it, considering his old model was pretty poor, even back when it was released. 

Or Dechala, I suppose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koala said:

I DO like Dechala. 

She has kind of been made obsolete by DoK Melusai ( looks) and Sigvald (being Slaanesh's arrogant little b****) tough. 

They could do a fantastic new model of her. She's another character who got a bit of a dud sculpt back in the day. 

I think she'll be best remembered for her shade of lilac. 

• Subscriber

While I do get the idea behind wanting AoS to be it's own thing, GW only have themselves to blame for how they've been knocking it out of the park with their updated sculpts. They've proven this with older previous characters getting modern imaginings like Sigvald, Belakor, Gotrek, Kroak, etc

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Valkia_the_Bloody - Could happen as she exists in AoS. An evil counterpart to Yndrasta

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Arbaal_the_Undefeated - Chaos heroes on demonic mounts is a tad over done, but a specific Khorne one on a giant fleshound would be very cool. 

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Egrimm_van_Horstmann - Likely way to big to be done justice, but a two headed chaos dragon is something that would work really well in the AoS style. 

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Orion - A nice counterpart to Alarielle, would likely be Kurnoth now?

both, new and old characters. i really like to see how whfb characters evolved, coming back in a new form.

-Felix Jaegar

-The Green knight (gilles le breton)

-A serious female halfling/goddess(Rhya/Esmeralda/Hyacinth) avatar? (btw i would love to have a  new faction/army themed around badass fighting Mother (could be gholemkind with a mother earth thematic)

-Leonardo da Miragliano

-Astragoth

I think Aekold Helbrass would work well from a background perspective as his touch revived things so it would kinda work if he got revived himself.

Egrimm Van Horstmann I'd like to see cause I think it would make for a sick triple kit for Chaos. Egrimm on Baudros, Galrauch and perhaps a generic Chaos Lord on Chaos dragon.

But if I could revive anyone it would be Count Mordrek the Damned! He was like the almost Chaos spawn version of Gotrek, hoping for the sweet release of death but basically the Chaos gods didn't want him to die so he suffered mutation after mutation while retaining his sanity, which might have made things even worse for the poor sod.

I also always loved Valnir the Reaper, who also got resurrected once before by Nurgle as Papa Nurgle loved him.

I also always really liked Krell and Arbaal the Undefeated. 

Oh and another dude that definitely deserves a comeback is none other than Engra Deathsword IMO. The artwork is iconic, the design splendid, he was suddenly missing after his Everchosen was slain.... there's much that could be done with him!

All of my picks are pretty darn unlikely but oh well, I hold them dear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koala said:

I would agree that there are so many possibilities for new stories it might be a waste to just retell the old ones.

But then i just recently had my old WHFB 5.Ed Champions of Chaos book in hand and mused about those that actually never got a model or more than a few pages of fluff 

Count Mordrek is just SUCH an interesting concept. Immortality as a curse might no longer count as "new" but it does work quite well in AoS over the top storytelling. 

https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mordrek

Just saw your post after I replied... oh yeah - and Imagine a model with a hulking stance like Ushoran but with more armor and tons of mutations breaking through his armor. It would be magnificent! Like Godrick the grafted but cool!

It would kinda treat on Morghur's shtick tho... 🤔

Sooo many, some of the ones I really wanted have actually come back, Ushoran (Goodness) Kroak (Sweet Tepok), and Archaon (Cool). I find this is where my absolute weakness for AoS lies and where it undoubtedly, to me, trump on Old World. When Characters return as Demi Gods!   on My biiiiiig List of “Please Mr James Workshop, please give me”

MORGHUR, Just a beefed up version of Morghur with a a Spectacular Base with Spawn and twisting victims and branches, maybe a few more Horns and Arms.

All The Vampire Patriarchs - Abhorash, Vlad, W’soran, all returned, but still very happy to see the big man Ushoran (Actually just arrived today teehee)

Tyrion, Kurnoth/Orion, Malerion- Just teased so long.

Grombrindal, I feel the Dwarf Gods, muchmlike the Chaos Gods belong behind the Scenes, Grombrindal is their Face! 

Grimgor - Gork and Mork also behind the scenes, Gordrakk is ok, But I want a Grimgor Uniting the Orruks, Maybe with a More animalistic touch showing his past link as an incarnate, Not quite being a centaur, that would be ridiculous for Orruks to have 🙄

Nakai - The Kroxigor kit is so cool, Lets go a step further and Bring Back Nakai!  A roided Rage filled Unit of a Kroxigor. 

Kholek Suneater, I just want a model of the Big Bad Shaggoth. I’m so glum that Shaggoths never got a cool plastic kit. 

Throt the Unclean - I could only imagine with a Massive mutated Throt would look like, with a big base being carried on a Brood Horror. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 7:07 PM, Gitzdee said:

What characters would you like to see reused in AoS, or dont want to make a comeback at all? Or do you think AoS should create its own unique characters?

Both. I expect a lot of new unique characters, but at the same time, old characters returning in some form (no need to copy&paste old books in to AoS).

20 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I havent played whfb that much so im not that deep into the lore. I know about Throgg but i think we wont be seeing him back with the new Troggoth king we recently got. I dont feel any need to see any of the old O&G characters back. I like Gordrakk, Gobsprakk and Skragrott. Dont like Kragnos but i guess i dont need to like all Destruction characters. I hope we get to see some good new Gitmob, Spiderfang and Bonesplitterz characters 4th edition. 

Huge missed opportunity with Ushoran for that last part. Not a fan of how they rewrote his lore.

In terms of characters returning, I'd just like to see magic focused vampires again. Mannfred used to be an incredible wizard, now he's 'just' a 2 caster with no buffs, same as all the other 2 caster wizards in the game, or worse. Necrarchs aren't represented whilst the other main bloodlines are. Vyrkos to some extent filled this niche with reroll casts, but they took that away.

My fear with AoS is they're focused too much on 'balance' and competetive play, all my armies (I have 4) have seen vast reductions in choice and variety to the point when I'm making armies I just have the same items and traits every single time. They've made unique characters incredibly hard locked (soulblight in particular) to the point you HAVE to use them in their subfaction. Traits and items have been cut in half or worse, magic choice is all disappearing.

Playing some Old World has really made me miss the customization and choice/variety even more tbh.

• Like 1