46 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

On the off-chance people miss it on the Rumour Thread, GW have confirmed what CoS models won't be in the new Battletome.

Also crossposting the updated Warscroll best guess:

Spoiler
    1. • Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage
    2.  Freeguild General on Griffon
    3. • Battlemage on Griffon
    4. • Dreadlord on Black Dragon
    5. • Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage
    6. • Sorceress on Black Dragon
    7. • Steam Tank with Commander
    8. • Assassin
    9. • Battlemage
    10. • Black Ark Fleetmaster
    11. • Cogsmith
    12. • Runelord
    13. • Sorceress
    14. • Warden King
    15. • Doralia ven Denst
    16. • Galen ven Denst
    17. • Haskell Hexbane
    18. • Hexbane's Hunters
    19. • Flagellants
    20. • Bleakswords
    21. • Darkshards
    22. • Dreadspears
    23. • Ironbreakers
    24. • Longbeards
    25. • Black Ark Corsairs
    26. • Black Guard
    27. • Dark Riders
    28. • Drakespawn Chariots
    29. • Drakespawn Knights
    30. • Executioners
    31. • Gyrobombers
    32. • Gyrocopters
    33. • Hammerers
    34. • Irondrakes
    35. • Scourgerunner Chariots
    36. • Celestial Hurricanum
    37. • Kharibdyss
    38. • Luminark of Hysh
    39. • Steam Tank
    40. • War Hydra
    41. Steelhelms
    42. Cavaliers
    43. Fusiliers
    44. Marshall
    45. Alchemite
    46. Thalia Vedra
    47. Warhulk
    48. Cannon (whitefang confirmed)
    49. Elites (Big Axe Render)
    50. Big Religious Kit (Religious bits render)
    51. Unrevealed Unit 1 (e,g Warpriest)
    52. Unrevealed Unit 2 (e.g Witch Hunter)
    53. Unrevealed Unit 3 (e.g. Outriders)
    54. Unrevealed Unit 4 (e.g THE WAR WAGON)

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Thanks 1

i'm sad to see wanderer leaving the cities but i guess it's pretty logical. at least i don't have to convert them to AOS and  i can keep my 4K pts to play vers my tomb king and bretonian friends. hope they fuse the on 1 warscroll.

• Bleakswords
  • Darkshards
  • Dreadspears

i really miss Sisters of the watch and Sisters of the thorn because there is a big lack of women regiments in cities.

some units may overlap, too much base infantry/ranged infantry ?

Edited by Freemeta
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

some units may overlap, too much base infantry/ranged infantry ?

That has been a problem with the Cities battltome from the start, just a lot of redundant warscrolls that fill more or less the same role. Even more so if you consider coalition units. Let's see if the new orders system does anything to differentiate the different units a bit more. There seem to be dedicated human, dwarf and elf orders.

• Like 2

yep, ie: i'm not sure there is a point having 2 heavy cavalry warscrolls (except thematic army, maybe some very special rules).

"You’ll also be able to dip into many other battletomes with some flexible and thematic rules for allies" :

end of coalition?, expanded allies rules? same as before?

I really want to be able to choose from every order battletome, my reason to want to play CoS.

Edited by Freemeta

6 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

yep, ie: i'm not sure there is a point having 2 heavy cavalry warscrolls (except thematic army, maybe some very special rules).

"You’ll also be able to dip into many other battletomes with some flexible and thematic rules for allies" :

end of coalition?, expanded allies rules? same as before?

I really want to be able to choose from every order battletome, my reason to want to play CoS.

They might want to more tightly control the access of coalition units to allegiance abilites this time around. This was a problem in 2nd ed a few times, most prominently with Fulminators using Strike and Fade in Living City. I get it: It's not fun for either Cities or Stormcast if the best way to play either is using a bunch of Stormcast in Living Cities.

Let's see how they handle it. I would like to see different coalition options for different Cities. Ideally with limited access to allegiance abilites. Maybe even special allegiance abilites for your coalition partners to prevent abuse.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

That has been a problem with the Cities battltome from the start, just a lot of redundant warscrolls that fill more or less the same role. Even more so if you consider coalition units. Let's see if the new orders system does anything to differentiate the different units a bit more. There seem to be dedicated human, dwarf and elf orders.

What are the odds that they have little to no change to the non human stuff and they are still redundant lol?

The faction will still need several waves with stuff like the tank and mages staying around. Really hope they will do a non human wave or two, but GW track record for that is kind of meh................

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Do you guys have any idea as what I could use the Shadow Warriors?

Black Ark Corsairs have a sword and crossbow loadout.

1 minute ago, RyantheFett said:

What are the odds that they have little to no change to the non human stuff and they are still redundant lol?

The faction will still need several waves with stuff like the tank and mages staying around. Really hope they will do a non human wave or two, but GW track record for that is kind of meh................

I personally expect lots of warscroll rewrites. The other 3rd ed tomes have certainly had them.

Anyway, redundant units are not the worst problem to have as long as they are broadly on the same level. But I would expect at lest a few cases of "there is no reason to use this unit over that other one". I'm hopeful they can pull it off better in this book than in the Stormcast tome, at least.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Top pick right now would Freeguild Steelhelms. Just cut off the bow and boom (or keep it lol). If we are lucky they will have spare shields and sigmar bits to use on them as well.

Most elves double up so its not too bad right there.

Only the Demigryph Knights seem to be the problem child.

5 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's objectively a cool box, but personally I am kinda on the fence. I'd probably get it if one of those units of Steelhelms was replaces with Fusiliers, but I'm not sure I want 20 of those guys. Still, that limited edition battletome is kinda tempting.

I agree. It's a bit disappointing these launch boxes are SOLELY aimed at 2k Matched Play players. And the rest of us have to wait for Vanguard or even a Christmas Battleforce to get a wider range of units to use in AOS or Warcry.

Conversion or proxy ideas (any advice or ideas welcome lol):

• Freeguild general
    1. Freeguild Marshal comes with 3 weapon options so one of those should work.
  • crossbowmen/handgunners/freeguild
    1. Steelhelms depending on how many extra bits.
    2. I already mix them with Dwarfs for a mix unit and they look pretty good together.
    3. Pirates come with a lot of extra bits, have both melee and range options, and pretty sure they are mixed race crew in the lore.
  • volley gun/helstorm
    1. Maybe if you got several you could throw two or three together on a big base to equal the new big cannon lol..... this one is not easy and you would need a spare base of the right size.
  • pistoliers/outriders
    1. Dark riders/darkespawn knights. I like the mixed units look, but may not be everyone's taste.
    2. Freeguild Cavaliers seem to have a lot of extra bits so maybe a bit of kitbashing will be easy
    3. Still may get something new ?????
  • freeguild greaswords
    1. Mix with other races like hammeres or executioners.
    2. Pretty sure we are getting a new version of this so hype!
  • demigryph knight
    1. ..................................................................... i got nothing lol
    2. maybe a new model yet to be revealed!!!
  • phoenix
    1.  dragon or griffin
  • phoenix guard and wood elves
    1. Double them up with the dark elves.
    2. If you feeling spicy can try to mix them with extra steelhelms weapons to give them a more unique freeguild look.
  • sisters of the thorn/wild riders
    1. Dark riders/darkespawn knights
    2. Once again the new Freeguild Cavaliers seem to have a lot of extra bits and I could see some quick kitbashing to have some very unique freeguild units.
  • Noble Prince/Anointed
    1. Mages seem like the easy answer and no change required. They look like they can do magic lol
  • Shadow Warriors/ Sisters
    1. Mix and match with other non human units like pirates and dwarfs who both have melee and range options.
    2. Steelhelms spare bits kitbashing, which I hope they come with a lot of spare bits to do this.

Really tried to keep it simple with the only mix and match being heads and arms. GW going with analogues is really cool concept and hopefully they keep doing that for the faction!

And if you rather keep your models as is using them in your Dungeon and Dragon games really work out great................... Especially if you stuck as the forever DM.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Corsairs would be the best choice. Both units have cloaks, a melee profile and a ranged profile.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this announcement. It's still very much possible to field a mixed army and it's good to see the coalition options are staying. I'm not really a big fan of the old world project but knowing that the wanderers are to be wood elves again takes some of the stress of this situation. 

I'm very interested by the idea of new Kurnothi. If those models end up being cool and become a part of Slyvaneth, I could use them in a living city army. That would make me want to pick up some wood elf/wanderers kits to use as proxies. With the old world on the way, I know I won't have to worry about making the decision now. 

As for the new kits- optimistically hoping for 7 kits- I'd love to see a big artillery kit, some smaller artillery, some elite infantry, two foot heroes, a war altar type thing and some flying cavalry. 

• Like 2

My biggest disappointment is GW keeping the dark elf names for the remaining elves then telling us explicitly to use any squatted units as proxies. They could've switched to a more generic name instead of dreadspears, darkshards, etc. idk, it's a strange way of trying to keep your copyright names in a book.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I get that. I am always super drawn towards infantry heavy armies as well. But I also know that there is a pretty big gap between my enthusiasm for having an infantery army and for painting it. So I have to pace myself, haha.

Personally, I’m much more terrified to paint the cavaliers lol. Those things are awesome, but crazy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RyantheFett said:
  • demigryph knight
    1. ..................................................................... i got nothing lol
    2. maybe a new model yet to be revealed!!!

I think Demigryph are more suitable for proxing the new Freeguild Cavaliers: both are heavy armored cavalry and probably are similar in size. I doubt they will reveal a thicker cavalry unit, maybe a "lighter" one. We'll see :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fulcanelli said:

I think Demigryph are more suitable for proxing the new Freeguild Cavaliers: both are heavy armored cavalry and probably are similar in size. I doubt they will reveal a thicker cavalry unit, maybe a "lighter" one. We'll see :)

I think chances are good that they will even share the same 75mm base size. Old Freeguild cavalry was generally on 60mm bases but the new Cavaliers seem larger.

1 hour ago, Freemeta said:

at first glance there is more (or pretty much 50/50) dark elf warscrolls than human ?

It's 17 dark warscrolls, 9 dispossessed warscrolls, 14 current human warscrolls and probably 14 new human warscrolls for a total of 54. In the previous (current) version of cities there are 30 Self warscrolls out or 63. I'd love to see a few mixed units but otherwise I think the balance of the new book is pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My cynical read is that they've already said Wood Elves and High Elves would be a focus of TOW's initial coverage, whereas Dark Elves won't. In the long term we'll probably also see Dark Elves get removed, but right now they won't be getting a TOW-reboxing the way Helves and Welves probably will (but will still be purchasable and useable in TOW with their PDF) so they're fine keeping them in CoS.

Similar to the Horus Heresy plastics recently being quarantined to Legends in 40k, despite the models being more easily and cheaply available to more players than ever. 

Obviously the response to this post is "okay but what about Dwarfs/Dispossessed?" to which my answer is that is they've done a lot more establishing Dispossessed than the other WHFB leftovers. 

Again, just cynically theorising and probably reading too much into it.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My cynical read is that they've already said Wood Elves and High Elves would be a focus of TOW's initial coverage, whereas Dark Elves won't. In the long term we'll probably also see Dark Elves get removed, but right now they won't be getting a TOW-reboxing the way Helves and Welves probably will (but will still be purchasable and useable in TOW with their PDF) so they're fine keeping them in CoS.

Similar to the Horus Heresy plastics being quarantined to Legends in 40k, despite the models being more easily and cheaply available to more players than ever. 

Obviously the response to this post is "okay but what about Dwarfs/Dispossessed?" to which my answer is that is they've done a lot more establishing Dispossessed than the other WHFB leftovers. 

Again, just cynically theorising and probably reading too much into it.

Its a solid take on the situation and I agree with most of it.

My big question from all this is when/if they try and remove those darkelves what will they say to the players then? Sort of feels like GW kicked the can down the road and will have to deal with all of this again in a few years again lol.