AoS 3 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Clan's Cynic

The Krondspine is certainly a strong addition to most armies, but I think it's a bit wasted on armies without wizards.  The Runes will work on the Magmadroth units so I'd probably stick with them.  Though not having used either one, I could certainly be mistaken.  Guess I'm a bit opposed to the Krondspine out of principle.  The mechanic for killing it is too dum and out of sync from normalcy, and unnecessarily so...seems like something the Fyreslayers would hate and want to destroy.

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

The Krondspine is certainly a strong addition to most armies, but I think it's a bit wasted on armies without wizards.  The Runes will work on the Magmadroth units so I'd probably stick with them.  Though not having used either one, I could certainly be mistaken.  Guess I'm a bit opposed to the Krondspine out of principle.  The mechanic for killing it is too dum and out of sync from normalcy, and unnecessarily so...seems like something the Fyreslayers would hate and want to destroy.

I personally don’t really like the fact that rhe kronspine exist.

then again I’m not much of a fan of the model.

but the reason why I’m here in the chat is less about talking about my thoughts on the kronspine but rather to tell you beard-things that the beasts of the moulder pits of clan mors are burrow-digging a tunnel to the next dwarf hold somewhere in dubai.

I’ll be meeting a friend of mine and we’ll be playing a small 1k game against each other.

him with his red…. Beards and me with my beasts yes-yes.

ps: anvils of apotheosis heroes will be used, so definitely nothing gamebreaking to see 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:44 AM, Hannibal said:

I'm thinking a lot about Herohammer Fyreslayers and these are some questions I can't answer myself. What do you think? 

1) Krondspine incarnate. It literally gives half your army all out attack for just 1 cp. Nice model too. 

2) Runefather OR Runeson on Magmadroth. Sure, you can't put the additional relics on them and they won't get +2 ro their wounds characteristics, but you gain a fast beatstick that you're otherwise missing. You can still give the free Relic to them and they will still get a mount Trait. 

I'm a Greyfyrd man but the Magmadad is a great pick. Lots of utility with great CT and artefact options!

So my dear beard-thing friends.

The game was sadly canceled

as a family member of my friend has sadly suffered a sudden heart attack and had to be driven to the hospital.

we currently don’t know how he is doing but with a bit of luck everything will be fine.

as for the game. It probably will be postponed till I’ll be traveling back to dubai meeting him again at some point for now my holidays have ended and thus I have to travel back home to skavenblight.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:30 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

So my dear beard-thing friends.

The game was sadly canceled

as a family member of my friend has sadly suffered a sudden heart attack and had to be driven to the hospital.

we currently don’t know how he is doing but with a bit of luck everything will be fine.

as for the game. It probably will be postponed till I’ll be traveling back to dubai meeting him again at some point for now my holidays have ended and thus I have to travel back home to skavenblight.

Sorry to hear that, hope things work out for the best.

I'm thinking of jumping back into Fyreslayers this year as I've got about 2000 points sitting around half painted and really like what I see from the new book. Not that I'm going to be chasing tournament wins, but should make for some fun games. I also haven't played much this past year, not once with the last GHB, not a fan of Bounty Hunters and just needed a break. I also find the Krondspine lame.

Anyway, I've come up with a list that I can put together fairly quickly with minimal purchases, and it's based on the new points/GHB. Would appreciate any thoughts, although it is pretty straightforward.

Lodge: Greyfyrd

Grand Strategy: Day is Ours/Masters of the Forge

Battalions: (Needs work): Galletian Command, Warlord

Runemaster: General, Master Priest, Arcane Tome, Heal

Runefather(Galletian Command): Axe of Grimnir

Runesmiter: Runic Iron, Volatile Brazier, Prayer of Ash

Battlesmith: Nulsidian Icon

2x 10 Vulkite Berzerkers with Handaxes, Karl, Horn Blower

1x 10 Vulkite Berzerkers with Slingshields, Karl, Horn Blower

3x 10 Hearthguard Berzerkers with Broadaxes, Karl, (One's in Galletian Command)

Runic Firewall

Molten Infernoth

Should come out to 1970 Points. Basic strategy is to be able to counter attack nicely, and it's not a huge deal if I don't get to choose the first turn. I wet with all Broadaxes because they seem to be able to out damage Poleaxes when paired with the Master Priest ability. Having them at rend -2 2 damage for basically turns 2 and 3 or being able to pair them with Rune of Searing Heat if there is a super tough unit I need to crack seems very good.

The Battlesmith might seem a bit redundant, and maybe it is, but I feel like having him be able to put his aura out to my Vulkites will make them last a bit longer, as I would focus on deploying them in front of my Hearthguard to soften up the enemy. The 4+ Rally helps versus shooting and the Nulsidian Icon is obviously great.

I'd like to have Curse on one of the Priests, but I feel like if I'm taking Day is Ours( have more Galletian Champs than the enemy) I might want to be able to heal my heroes if I needed to. It would probably be better to get Curse in there and just go with MotF... Hmm.

This will probably struggle against some match ups, but I can always tailor it to include other artifacts if I want. I have a Runefather on Magmadroth if I want to change things up, and while playing this and learning the army more I can paint up more Vulkites to maybe try Vostarg in the future.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I know it's a smaller community for Fyreslayers but figure there's some really passionate players in it too.

Been talking with some other players at my local shop about Fyreslayer unit variety and what we'd like to see, and I came up with something I haven't heard yet.

Fyreslayers are nigh-naked dwarves willing to take huge risks for Ur-Gold and have a close association with fire and lava, right? So here's the pitch: lavasurfing fyreslayers. A 3-model unit of dwarves surfing big lava waves, set on 50 or 60mm bases, or maybe large cavalry bases.

And before you ask, this isn't just because Lego is putting out a Bionicle tribute set with Toa Tahu surfing on a rock on a lava-themed display stand.

• LOVE IT! 1

Heya! 
With the new season and the way how Galletian champs and BTs are working now, I want to try out FS (as we don't have any at all in our local meta), with the will to play the most famous slayer of all: Gotrek. 

As I'm fairly new to FS, and as I liked @Chronos's last list and choices, I kinda used it as my base with some modifications:

Spoiler

Army Faction: Fyreslayers
- Army Subfaction: Greyfyrd
- Grand Strategy: The Day is Ours!
- Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER
1 x Auric Runefather (120)
- General
- Command Traits: Leader of the Duardrazhal
- Artefacts: Axe of Grimnir

1 x Battlesmith (150)*
- Artefacts: Nulsidian Icon

1 x Auric Runesmiter (120)*
- Runic Iron
- Prayers: Prayer Of Ash

1 x Auric Runemaster (130)*
- Artefacts: Arcane Tome
- Spells: Levitate
- Prayers: Heal

BATTLELINE
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (300)**
- Karl
- Berzerker Broadaxe

10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (300)***
- Karl
- Berzerker Broadaxe

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers with Fyresteel Handaxes (160)***
- Karl
- 2 x Hornblower of Grimnir

OTHER
1 x Gotrek Gurnisson (480)*

1 x Grimwrath Berzerker (110)**
- Artefacts: The Daemon Slayer

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Warlord
**Galletian Command
***Galletian Veterans
TOTAL POINTS: (1870/2000)

-Run & charge oath on the Grimwrath.
-10 HGB as runefather's retinue, 10 HGB as Grimwrath's "retinue" with the new heroic action.
-I have 130 pts left, and I'm thorn between two choices: adding a 2nd runesmite w/ Ember storm (extra prayer and GS choice) or Firewall + Infernoth Invocations (dmg + opponent's move nuisance). What would you suggest?
-I do feel like I lack some bodies... Maybe swap the grimwrath for another unit of vulkite. But I'll see on the table first, before considering these kind of changes. 

I would consider 3 options for the 130 points:

Runeson + Invocation(whichever you like most): galletian champ + utility

Swap the Grimwrath with a Runeson and add a unit of Vulkites: more bodies with little less damage

Add 1 unit of aurics: some bodies that can sit on a back objective and still do something or a good screening unit

I don't think a run and charge Grimwrath is working good in galletian command as he will run away from the HGB unless you give them run and charge all the time. A Runeson would work better if you don't play very aggressive. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tarogrim said:

Runeson + Invocation(whichever you like most): galletian champ + utility

Swap the Grimwrath with a Runeson and add a unit of Vulkites: more bodies with little less damage

I don't think a run and charge Grimwrath is working good in galletian command as he will run away from the HGB unless you give them run and charge all the time. A Runeson would work better if you don't play very aggressive.

I was intending on playing with the run & charge prayer on the HGB to make them run with the grimwrath. That's why I planned to add the 2nd runesmiter. 

I like these two options though. Not the auric one.

I can see it working theoretically, however in my gaming experience charging with hearthguard never worked for me as they always went out of their bubbles. But that might just be my inability. Maybe this tactic is the solution for my problem 😉

Would be great to hear how it worked out

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 6:13 PM, Tarogrim said:

Would be great to hear how it worked out

With the 130 pts left, I went for a Flamekeeper and an invocation (going back and forth between infernoth and rune wall). For now.

Also, I swapped Levitate spell for Ghostmist spell.

So I had the chance to play a few games, most notables were, in terms of learning:

-Seraphon: Skink spam, endless spell spam - Purple sun, shards of valagharr, gnashing jaws (yah, with a move of 4", just perfect!), with all the hero needed around.
Really annoying matchup but depending on the scenario it's easier than I thought: basically it revolves around the negation ability of the Nulsidian Icon. 50% chances of negating spells + endless spells, and wards all over the FS Castle kinda helps to mitigate the dmg coming from spells/endless spells/shooting. But as long as the battlesmith is alive, it can tank. And if there are too many losses on a unit: boom, rally on 4+. 
The no LoS prayer + spell really helped for screening my heroes against Galletian sharpshooters skinks. The Seraphon pyramid was really annoying though: I hid behind the battleforge, and the pyramid was a constant threat. Manageable with heroic recoveries + d3 heal, but still. Annoying.
I made a mistake by not covering/screening enough around the Battlesmith, so at some point the Purple Sun got a chance to get inside my 1": I failed my 4+, he rolled a 1, the battlesmith died. Planetary Alignment stuff, y'know :D
The ability to run & charge with grimwrath and a unit was a threat for him as well, so he didn't commit a lot.

If the objectives are not too scattered, and turning around the centre of the map (Prize of Gallet, realmstone cache, Jaws, Twist, this kind of stuff): Just rush and turtle there. Difficult for the seraphon to contest.
We played Only the Worthy iirc - it was a bit annoying. Honestly, the game in itself was annoying. I played the same matchup with a StD list (I played StD), and I did the same thing: Rush objectives, and rolling for saves, removing models, bringing them back, etc... The FS was much more tanky though, thanks to Nulsidian Icon (OP stuff). 

I've not played yet vs the Thunder lizard list, but I think overall it will have better results: These are stuff I can actually kill.

-Ogor: Meatfist list. Kragnos, 5 tyrants w/ Brawlerguts, 3*4 leadbelchers.
We ended on a draw, because I left 1w on a tyrant, thus not allowing me to score the Grudge BT iirc. Or something like this.
The Flamekeeper was the MVP. 1st screen with vulkites, they died on the shooting and charges, had some HGB dying on the charges as well (ranking up the Flamekeeper), strike first w/ a unit of HGB, fight on death with the other, activating the grimwrath and triggering the 2nd unit of HGB to hit (united in command) caused a lot of dmg on his turn. Super strong. 
We finished the game with Gotrek, Flamekeeper and Runemaster alive on my side. 3 leadbelchers on his. I score my GS, he doesn't. 

-New BoC: Allherd list. 2 shamans, Shaggoth, beastlord, 2*3 dragon ogor, cygors, gors and other stuff. 
My friend just started with them, tried some stuff mostly, struggled a lot playing his BoC, but in the hands of an experienced player, it is a super annoying BT. MWs output thanks to zoning abilities: 18" from the board with heroic actions, within objective range with cygors, terrain range with artefact, etc...
Nulsidian Icon doesn't help. Meaning we have to mostly rely on ward saves. A lot of expendable stuff for BTs, moving quite fast, hitting okeyish but nothing we can't handle. 
Very scenario dependant I think. But crazy zoning. Woaw.

Overall:
The army is super tanky, delivers reliable dmg, and works perfectly with a lot of tricks (charge in combat phase, strike first, fight on death). Having to remember everything is the complicated part! :D
The movement part is a bit meh.

I've made some changes with games going on, and Leader of the Duardrazhal is not that interesting with Gotrek. 
I mean, most interesting runes would be +2" on move and charge. And the -1 rend. But Gotrek already deletes stuff, so... I swapped for Spirit of Grimnir. Triggering enhanced effect is much stronger on the rest.
I was using Leadership of the alpha on the Battlesmith, but on some matchups I just can't afford losing him, so I went for the resurrection ability.
I didn't use the run & charge prayer as well as the run & charge combo with the Grimwrath (even though I took the Oath). But just having them and telling my opponents I had them allowed me to put some extra pressure on my opponent "just in case".

Today the list looks like this:

Spoiler

Army Faction: Fyreslayers
- Army Subfaction: Greyfyrd
- Grand Strategy: The Day is Ours!
- Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER
1 x Auric Runefather (120)
- General
- Command Traits: Spirit of Grimnir
- Artefacts: Axe of Grimnir

1 x Battlesmith (150)*
- Artefacts: Nulsidian Icon
- Aspect of the Champion: Fuelled by Ghurish Rage

1 x Auric Runesmiter (120)*
- Runic Iron
- Prayers: Prayer Of Ash

1 x Auric Runemaster (130)*
- Artefacts: Arcane Tome
- Spells: Ghost-mist

1 x Flamekeeper

BATTLELINE
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (300)**
- Karl
- Berzerker Broadaxe

10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (300)***
- Karl
- Berzerker Broadaxe

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers with Fyresteel Handaxes (160)***
- Karl
- 2 x Hornblower of Grimnir

OTHER
1 x Gotrek Gurnisson (480)*

1 x Grimwrath Berzerker (110)**
- Artefacts: Draught of Magmalt Ale

1 x Molten Infernoth (40)

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Warlord
**Galletian Command
***Galletian Veterans
TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

The most difficult side of the army I've experienced so far imho is the 1st turn battle tactic. Kinda difficult. Maybe considering a tunnel master...

Also, is it possible to score Beastslayer with Gotrek? It only mentions "a friendly Hero". Not a FS hero.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

After playing around 10 games including two tournaments (and winning one of the two), i realize only know how insane HGB become when played by 15. They really reach a critical mass where they become incredibly hard to play around for the opponent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully he will have interesting rules. Would like him to be really slappy with 7 Attacks 3 dmg on the charge or something like that. And a lone agent ability with a 4+ ward if there are no friendly models close. Would not mind if he costs 200 points. 

This is just pure wishlisting, but I don't want him to be just another grimwrath/doomseeker/runeson

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 5:19 AM, Malakithe said:

Hammers are cool right?....right? And I noticed he doesnt have nearly as many runes all over him as normal. No crazy elaborate headdress either...perhaps a preview of a new design plan

New design ? For me it's super obvious this isn't even an AOS figure, but a warhammer battle figure of Ungrim Ironfist which they recycle for AOS as well because why not lmao.

Edited by ledha
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Is that the new vanguard box?   I'm thinking of jumping back into the magmahold with list I saw on Goonhammer.

- Army Faction: Fyreslayers

- Subfaction: Greyfyrd

LEADERS

Auric Runemaster (130)

- General

- Command Traits: Master Priest

- Artefacts of Power: Volatile Brazier

- Aspects of the Champion: Tunnel Master

BATTLELINE

Vulkite Berzerkers with Fyresteel Handaxes (160)

Auric Hearthguard (120)

Auric Hearthguard (120)

OTHER

Grimwrath Berzerker (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Is it stupid?  Seems like it.  Is it fun?  I think so...reminds me of when I used to have Bonesplitterz w a bunch of Big Stabbas.  And it would be neat to kitbash bunch of unique Grimwraths from cheapo Vulkites.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 2:01 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Is that the new vanguard box?   I'm thinking of jumping back into the magmahold with list I saw on Goonhammer.

- Army Faction: Fyreslayers

- Subfaction: Greyfyrd

LEADERS

Auric Runemaster (130)

- General

- Command Traits: Master Priest

- Artefacts of Power: Volatile Brazier

- Aspects of the Champion: Tunnel Master

BATTLELINE

Vulkite Berzerkers with Fyresteel Handaxes (160)

Auric Hearthguard (120)

Auric Hearthguard (120)

OTHER

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Is it stupid?  Seems like it.  Is it fun?  I think so...reminds me of when I used to have Bonesplitterz w a bunch of Big Stabbas.  And it would be neat to kitbash bunch of unique Grimwraths from cheapo Vulkites.   

I think the grimhold exile would be a great addition. His ability to give run and charge to units 6" around is hard to use with units of vulkites, but 6" wolly within is more than enough to affect a lot of grimwrath berserkers that you send full speed toward the ennemy army.

• Thanks 1

Ooh, heck yeah!  I didn't realize the new guy did anything.  Perhaps I'll bash one together, as I don't want ANOTHER vanguard box.  Wondering though if taking a Battlesmith (whom I converted into my Auric Runemaster) would be worth it for the anti-spell bubble.  Gonna be tons of annoying endless spells and wizardry flying around soon.  I could re-kitbash on of those with the Icon on some other staff.

I'm turning the Flamespitter and Runic Fyrewall into my Magmic Battleforge...instead it will more like a Magmic Oil-well, so I need to make a construct with a big runic valve to turn the magma on/off.  That'll save me $50.  Its' about the right footprint too, and since the ward save thing is tablewide I think, actual size doesn't much matter.