AoS 3 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Clan's Cynic

The reviews are starting to come in and with a sub-forum hopefully on the way, figured it made some sense to begin a new topic.

Written Reviews

Video Reviews

Points Values

• Runefather on Magmadroth - 360
  • Runesmiter on Magmadroth - 340
  • Runeson on Magmadroth - 330
  • Auric Flamekeeper - 90
  • Auric Runefather - 125
  • Auric Runemaster - 125
  • Auric Runesmiter - 135
  • Auric Runeson - 80
  • Battlesmith - 150
  • Grimwrath Berzerker - 105
  • Doomseeker - 85pts
  • Fjul-Grimnir/Chosen Axes - 160

• Vulkite Berzerkers with Handaxes - 170
  • Vulkite Berzerkers with Slingshields - 160
  • Hearthguard Berzerkers - 160
  • Auric Hearthguard - 125
  • Molten Infernoth - 70
  • Runic Fyrewall - 55
  • Flame-spitter - 55
Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

• Clan's Cynic changed the title to AoS 3 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Only been able to watch first half of the video but quick early impressions- I’m going to miss the -1 to wound aura from hermdar and the battle shock immunity has been gutted, but it’s good there’s a -1 to wound prayer now and the other lodges look decent. 

Was worried there’s be no bodyguard rules but they’ve turned up on the runefather warscroll- deflect to a unit on a 3+ AND that unit can still make a ward roll, which is nice.

• Like 1

The hgb going up to 160 seemed bad at first but maybe blocks of HGB with fathers/sons could still do work. The melee heroes are quite killy for their points and the retinue is a strong bodyguard rule 3+ passoff into a 4+ ward. 

Speed seems like it might an issue though and the army is quite fragile now.

• Like 1

So overall impressions now I’ve seen all of the review- really want to be positive but sadly the two main things I wanted to see from this book- a reason to (even at a casual play level) want to take any units but hearthguard berserkers, and one (just one please!) unit with an unbind on the warscroll. The issue remains that anything you could use to buff vulkites you’d have been far better using on hearthguard. Will I still put vulkites in my list? Probably but doesn’t mean I’m not going to be grumpy about doing it. 

On the bright side the hero choices are amazing now- runefathers and runesons on foot feel perfect to run alongside hearthguard thanks to the retinue rules and the runemaster sounds awesome- might have to dedicate an artifact for a spell book on him now the ash cloud rune has changed though. 

overall at a glance it feels like survivability has dropped right down, but the killing power of the on foot heroes has increased and hearthguard still have incredible potential. But if you like a mix of different units there’s some painful changes here.

• Like 3

At a glance it looks like Vostarg and Lofnir are the winning Lodges. I think everybody expected Hermdar to be nerfed into a oblivion and that came true.

Lofnir I think will edge out because Magmadroths are still looking pretty good and +2 Wounds/+3 Traits is just far more reliable than getting +1 Hit/Wound on the charge with Vulkites.

Greyfyrd is still in that spot where they're not bad, but not very good either and might see some use in specific meme lists where you want to run loads of Heroes on foot for the hell of it. Not allowing them any benefits to being on Magmadroths is a bit weird and seems done for the sake of making them different. 

Surprised and disappointed we didn't see any new Lodges though. We were already lagging behind other books in numbers of sub-factions.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Azamar said:

So overall impressions now I’ve seen all of the review- really want to be positive but sadly the two main things I wanted to see from this book- a reason to (even at a casual play level) want to take any units but hearthguard berserkers, and one (just one please!) unit with an unbind on the warscroll.

HGB are really costly now. I think that going full HGB will be a bit over-the-top. But with just 5-10 to protect a fully kitted Runefather (or blenderson) or even the dude with 4+Rally can be a pain in the ass.

Flamekeeper with Vostarg can be good. There are crazy-ton of things to do if someone kill your vulkites, improving their dmg, rend, attacks, charge, durability (4+save with shields), etc... Not sure if it will do something in competitive play but I think that can surprise a lot of people and take some 3-2

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beliman said:

HGB are really costly now. I think that going full HGB will be a bit over-the-top. But with just 5-10 to protect a fully kitted Runefather (or blenderson) or even the dude with 4+Rally can be a pain in the ass.

Flamekeeper with Vostarg can be good. There are crazy-ton of things to do if someone kill your vulkites, improving their dmg, rend, attacks, charge, durability (4+save with shields), etc... Not sure if it will do something in competitive play but I think that can surprise a lot of people and take some 3-2

Sadly no retinue for the battle smith but I’m thinking for me a runefather and Runeson on foot, Runemaster and 2 units of 10 hearthguard (as retinue for the father and son) make a nice core for about 1000 points, especially in a greyfyrd lodge. Might then add a battlesmith and some vulkites to park on an objective with still room for a magmadroth and some other toys in 2000 points. 

Or I’ll just go wild, convert all my old daemonslayers into grimwrath berserkers and have at it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't like the fact that the Retinue is Runefather/Runeson only. It's a huge durability nerf to every single Priest and Totem hero and also combined with the improved melee stats on the Runefather/Runeson also just blows Grimwraths and Doomseekers out of the water as being...anything. Why play a dedicated melee hero who's about the same/worse in melee who also doesn't get free bodyguards?

The Grimwrath oath system continues to be an anchor pretending to be a buff. Bad enough they previously had to select from a list of options not as good as a 5+ ward in melee that only one Grimwrath in a list can have, but now it's not even on their Warscroll. Not that anyone would ever take a Grimwrath ally but point is they gained nothing from all of these changes.

All of the Ur-Gold Runes except the two they previewed are basically unchanged and there weren't any sneaky allegiance abilities they were hiding from us, either. I think future lists are going to be pretty much Lofnir with a pack of HGB led by a Runefather and/or Runeson. Auric HG lost all reason for existing, Vulkites still don't seem worth taking seriously, the Flamekeeper will just get shot to death turn one. Runemaster and Runesmiter are OK maybe but not anything very interesting.

• Like 2

I absolutely ****** hate once-per-battle stuff. And these points hikes are way to crazy to even believe if I didnt see them myself. I honestly dont like what im seeing outside of making Gotrek a full on god now.

The lodge abilities are all meh at best. I feel Greyfyrd will win out to keep heroes alive for more buffs and keeping the Runefather/HGB death star alive. Lofnir would be okay if Droths werent waaaaaay overcosted. Like how did GW justify 360 when a Maw-krusha is 480. The Droths profile change, while an improvement, isnt that great overall compared to other hero monsters.

Im legit disappointed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmac said:

I don't like the fact that the Retinue is Runefather/Runeson only. It's a huge durability nerf to every single Priest and Totem hero and also combined with the improved melee stats on the Runefather/Runeson also just blows Grimwraths and Doomseekers out of the water as being...anything. Why play a dedicated melee hero who's about the same/worse in melee who also doesn't get free bodyguards?

Royal Retinue should absolutely extend to the Priests and Battlesmith imo. The Aurics are described as being protectors of the priesthood and last edition the Battlesmith even had the rule about a unit rallying around him when he dies to protect the standard.

Doomseeker not receiving it does make sense and the Grimwrath has an Oath that lets him act as the Retinue.

• Like 2

I wont repeat more but as i have been saying one week,all in this book is a nerf of old book.

Now hewrthguard 160 points is a joke,got a huge nerf in his aura and now cost 40 points more(if we count tye nerf of the box together)

Vulkites with pick lost 50%damage

Vulkites axe more or less the same but useless due to base 33" and 1" rangue.

Aurics lost his use and arent bodyguards.

So now we havent any unit that be even close to competitive.

Also lost +1 save of battlesmith and rune of ash,and lost -1 wound of hemdar,also run6 and charge of vostarg,inmune moral etc.

Lost every cp.

I know i have been very netagive all this week,but now that tome is full revealed everyone can see how EVERYTHING is worse than old book.

Yes have some tricks fun to play,as 400 points of allys getting runes(useless for gotrek that only can use the +2 mov),the can attack with father and one unit,or when the priest die get a free infornoth. Not competitive but fun.

Im open for ideas,but mathammer dont have any unit that be even close to our old hearthguard 40 points cheaper,with better aura,with +2 save,-1 wound and attackimg first allways being inmune to moral.

Oh and fyreslayers were allready middle\botton tier and this book is weaker so we gonna go direct to the botton

53 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I’m here just grinning that they turned the Soulbound official Fyreslayer drink into a huge power buff. :D 

It was an Heirloom in the 2.0 Battletome as well and did the same thing. 

Not having to take your Lodge artefact and then Ash-cloud Rune/Icons might diversify the artefacts taken now at least.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

All goes around about playstyle and the buffs that you get them.

Vulkites both are very poor damage for their cost and having 33" bases and 1" range makes them attack half models,but if you want a screen unit ahead of your hearthguard that stay there to be charged and attack when die i would use axes,and id you bring them only to camp one objetive all the game and not go to combat then pick and shield.

Hearthguards: are the same without buffs,if you give them extra attacks then poles are better and with extra damage then broadaxes are better.

Its soon to know,but i would use 2 droths,one with father and other with priest,now that we havent bodyguards the priest on foot are useless  and with the big base of magmadroth would be good use the reroll chants and not the extra rangue of prayers.

Nop,take in consideration that with new coherency is very hard to get to figth more than 5 of each 10 vulkites.and also mass no rend attacks isnt good(both gouls fec or wyches of dok have same or better stats than vulkites and cost 60 points less)

• Confused 2

? I have posted many doom post this week,but only answer to people asking advices  is also doom? If you cant do maths to see if a unit is good or not and ask for others advice so they do the maths and then dont like the answer?

Vulkites with axes cost 160(and ignoring the fact that with new coherency they only can attack half of models) and for 160 points they dish out 8'8 no rend damage or 13 if you charge.

Hearthguard cost same 160(and dont have coherency problems) and also dish out 8'8 damage but with rend1. So from competitive point of view the vulkites dont have any use.

And btw if you dont like see my post you can select the option of ignore me and so you wont see any of my post

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nothing wrong with Doko stating his opinion, alot of things do look weaker at least right now, matchmaker certainly matters but new books get released over time and new point costs are introduced etc so it's hard to say how it will be for the Fyreslayers moving forward. I'm excited to try out new stuff and hope I can figure out ways to win matches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1