Ironjawz: New unit ideas

Vasshpit

It's Monday so I thought I'd start up a new discussion on what new units you'd like to see added to the Ironjawz to help flesh out the army along the lines of Stormcast.

•Ranged is a given and I'd like to see javelin throwers over bows and maybe with shields. Low melee (for an Ironjaw at least) so the shield would help em when getting stuck in.

•Mega Gore Gruntas Chariot Boss. Two Gores, two wheels and a metric fark ton of Iron coming atcha with some Gruntas buffs to boot.

Just a couple ideas.

Warchanter and/or Megaboss on a Gore-Grunta. They just can't keep up with the Brutes, and I'd love to be able to support the Gore-Gruntaz as well.

In an audio drama I listened to recently, they have these Battlewagons with a Weirdnob on board blasting everything. THAT is something I'd like to see for some firepower!

12 minutes ago, Dez said:

Warchanter and/or Megaboss on a Gore-Grunta. They just can't keep up with the Brutes, and I'd love to be able to support the Gore-Gruntaz as well.

Yeh that would be super cool. Maybe give the characters Grunta metal tusks or something to give them rend!! ;) 

12 minutes ago, Dez said:

Battlewagons with a Weirdnob on board blasting everything.

I want this! Sounds amazing.

Everything @Dez said!

18 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

•Ranged is a given and I'd like to see javelin throwers over bows and maybe with shields. Low melee (for an Ironjaw at least) so the shield would help em when getting stuck in.

Not keen on this idea. While I would never ever rule it out as something an Ironjaw would do, I think it goes against the army theme. They are all about being these hard Orruks who panel beat their armour with their fists! Having a unit that throws javelins doesn't seem to fit in with them, and I'm not sure it would make a cool model. Having characters on Gore-Gruntas or a massive Battlewagon rolling around with a Weirdnob blasting stuff sounds cool, in theme and would would make excellent models! I think it would be cool to have the Weirdnob being quite big and fat as he is bloated with magic from all the Ironjaws which is why he needs to be in the Battlewagon.

20 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

a massive Battlewagon rolling around with a Weirdnob blasting stuff sounds cool

I'm just thinking about the literal bandwagon from Mad Max: Fury Road! Someone did a 40k Ork conversion of one and it looked amazing. An AoS version of this would be amazing - bunch of Warchanters dumming on the back with the Shaman upfront casting off spells.

14 minutes ago, Dream said:

@Gaz Taylor

They could make an ardboy ranged unit or artillery piece.  Orks not strong enough to fight but they want to join the good waaagh.  Anything to attempt to snipe out a important character would be very nice.  Actually I would just take any ranged unit.

Think that would be cool for Greenskins but to me doesn't fit into Ironjaw (especially having Orruks not strong enough to fight! What are they doing in the army!!!). Maybe some big beastie that a megaboss has beaten into submission?

I would rather have something that gets Brutes into combat faster than some artillery piece or shooting unit. Mind you I think some sort of Drop pod/Rok flung by an off board catapult would be cool! 

2 hours ago, Dez said:

Agreed. Also a given.

2 hours ago, Dez said:

In an audio drama I listened to recently, they have these Battlewagons with a Weirdnob on board blasting everything. THAT is something I'd like to see for some firepower!

Also very cool! Didn't they have these in 40k at one point? Weird boy towers?

Could be designed in such a way to duel kit a Mega Gore Boss chariot.

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Everything @Dez said!

Not keen on this idea. While I would never ever rule it out as something an Ironjaw would do, I think it goes against the army theme. They are all about being these hard Orruks who panel beat their armour with their fists! Having a unit that throws javelins doesn't seem to fit in with them, and I'm not sure it would make a cool model.

I can see your point. In the Ironjawz painting guide there is reference made about the Skybashas airships. So we know that all Ironjawz aren't just the "hulk smash" cliche.

I'd imagine it takes wits to build and operate such a vehicle.

34 minutes ago, Dez said:

The closest I can see Ironjawz having to ranged is Da Boyz that are big enough they can throw things like a discus.

"Oi Fartsmella! Watch me throw dis Moongrot Shaman at Nozemina! HUR HUR HUR!!!"

Ya beat me to it! Id personally like to see a reimagining of Rugluks Armored Orcs into the Ironjawz theme. Just my opinion. I really dig crossbows. And seeing an Ironjawz wield one, that would take 3 grown men to lift, would make my nerd pants wet.

How about a grunta with some kind of warmachines strapped to its back?

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I'm just thinking about the literal bandwagon from Mad Max: Fury Road! Someone did a 40k Ork conversion of one and it looked amazing. An AoS version of this would be amazing - bunch of Warchanters dumming on the back with the Shaman upfront casting off spells.

Me thinkz me crapped myslf, boss...

Now that would be dakka

I think overall this comes down to if you focus on a particular sub-faction, you're likely going to have weaknesses in your army that can't easily be filled.

I kind've echo what Gaz said, I'd prefer that the Greenskinz got a bit more of the ranged and warmachiney type stuff. The way I see Ironjawz is these are the big guys who while not dumb, really really prefer to smash stuff with their own hands. If they need some ranged stuff, get those weakling other Orruks or Grots to bash down the walls with the warmachines to get the Ironjawz access to the fight.

I guess somewhat similar to Brettonians, where the Knights didn't care for attacking from afar but if they needed to used the Peasants for that duty.

In terms of what I'd like to see, it's a bit tricky. This comes from some factions and ideas and themes are a lot easier to expand upon than others. Stormcast are obviously being billed as the Space Marines of AoS. Just come up with some new task, or some new mount and you whack a Stormcast on. 

Ironjawz are bigger better and more armoured Orruks. How far can you really take that theme? Can you go even more armoured? Can you go much bigger than a Maw Krusha? It's a bit difficult to expand much further without some overlap on existing units.

Possibly a short ranged unit is where it naturally leads to in adding something new. 

15 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

personally like to see a reimagining of Rugluks Armored Orcs into the Ironjawz theme. Just my opinion. I really dig crossbows.

Yeh I agree with this. Before the Bonesplitterz book I had considered Orruk Boyz with bows for generic battleline if I wanted to go out of faction. I was going to use Rugluds crossbow boyz for these to keep the theme a bit better.

Think the Ironjawz would suit a pair of massive brutes, man-handling a siege bow, loaded with scrap iron, similar to Detritus from the Discworld series's Piecemaker. A hail of razor sharp, super-sonic projectiles to turn enemy units to mush.

Brute shield bearers with throwing axes would work well for a theme, heavily armoured shock troops, with a re-roll on their save due to the shield and a short range attack that can be used after a run move, similar to the Ice Hunter's spear. Trade off would be worse melee attacks than regular Brutes. Heck, you could do this one with a Forgeworld conversion kit approach easily enough.

Agree with the idea of a Weirdnob or circle of Weirdnobs on a chariot, and Gore Grunta charriot would be cool

On 12/09/2016 at 6:12 PM, Vasshpit said:

Ya beat me to it! Id personally like to see a reimagining of Rugluks Armored Orcs into the Ironjawz theme. Just my opinion. I really dig crossbows. And seeing an Ironjawz wield one, that would take 3 grown men to lift, would make my nerd pants wet.

That is an amazing idea!!! 

But I agree with some of the things people have said. Ironjaws are basically "Hulk Smash!" with a slightly bit more intelligence, so I personally would like to see them hitting things close and personal rather than from afar, but Rugluk would be great here.

I just want their allegiance abilities. And for them to not suck like beastclaw. 

New units won't be for a loooong time anyway. If anything a Gore-Grunta chariot would be the most likely. I can't see any sort of ranged or shields for brutes. Throwing choppas maybe, but the Ardboys already have shields and they could easily forge some kind of crude and brutality effective warmachines. But brutes are brutes...no sense in changing that theme

Archived