AoS 3 - Ironjawz Discussion

Arzalyn

I’ll kick this off then with a list that I’d love some thoughts on!

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact: Armour of Gork 
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)**
- Artefact: Destroyer 
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)*
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)**
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)**
3 x Morgok's Krushas (90)**
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1960 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 116
Drops: 4

usual plan that this kind of list has, decided that the two Underworlds bands could be cool for objective holders/screens if needed, they also don’t give up Broken Ranks like Ardboyz screens

Edited by JonnyTheKing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

I’ll kick this off then with a list that I’d love some thoughts on!

I run a similar list with some tweeks.

Instead of the shaman and the 2 warbands i run 4 units of pigs and 3 chanters. I feel like the shaman is a trap in pig heavy lists. against list that dont have magic doms you still have a hard time getting that spell off and against magic doms he is just cancelled out. I get that it has it uses when you can teleport your chanters but i have never had big problems with that as long as you play the boards the right way

14 minutes ago, mrteige said:

I run a similar list with some tweeks.

Instead of the shaman and the 2 warbands i run 4 units of pigs and 3 chanters. I feel like the shaman is a trap in pig heavy lists. against list that dont have magic doms you still have a hard time getting that spell off and against magic doms he is just cancelled out. I get that it has it uses when you can teleport your chanters but i have never had big problems with that as long as you play the boards the right way

Think the two warbands are worth it or should I just take 3 more pigs?

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Type: Ironjawz
    - Army Subfaction: Bloodtoofs
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Mighty Waaagh! Leader
    - Boss Choppa and Rip-toof Fist
    - Artefacts: Armour of Gork
    - Mount Traits: Fast ’Un

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)**
    - Spells: Bash ’Em Ladz

Orruk Warchanter (115)**
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome

Orruk Warchanter (115)**

BATTLELINE

Orruk Brutes (160)
    - Brute Choppas,Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha

1 x Orruk Ardboys (170)*

1 x Orruk Ardboys (170)*

Orruk Brutes (160)*
    - Brute Choppas,Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha

1 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)*
    - Jagged Gore-hacka

Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)*
    - Pig-iron Choppas

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

**Command Entourage

TOTAL POINTS: (1970/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

I am looking to cut my teeth on AoS 3.0 with this list if I can ever get a game in. I have several thoughts about it however. 

I am bringing blocks of ArdBoyz as an anvil, screens, and objective holders. The idea is to screen and protect my brutes and gore-Gruntas from a melee alpha strike and later in the game run toward backfield objectives and try to rally them to full strength so I have 10 bodies to contest that objective. That’s 20 wounds with a 4+ save that can be brought back on a 4+ with a Warchanter nearby that have a 6+ ward save. They seem like a tough battleline to shift, like you need to commit to get rid of them, the perfect objective holders and screens to protect my hammers. 

The Brutes I am wondering how to run. 1 big block of 10 with Jagged Gore-Hackas? 2 MSU with Choppas? Drop 5 and bring 3 more pigs? The idea is they’re a hammer that hits hard and can deny factions with 1 wound models that would be going for objectives, or hunting bigger targets to get their bonus. A versatile unit that can cleave through rank and file such as skeletons, zombies, dryads, chaos marauders, Skaven and other small but plentiful targets and deny them objectives, or big game Hunters to take down or cripple monsters like Ogors, BCR, Magmadroth, Gargants etc. 

Gore-Gruntas in a unit of 6 count as 12 for contesting objectives and are the main hammer. They just delete whatever I hit with them and that’s their job. They can also move after combat toward objectives or to hit the next target. Moving away after combat to open distance then circling back for a charge for more mortal wound spam also seems viable. I could drop 5 brutes to bring 3 more of these fellas for a total of 12. 

The Shaman is here for back up support, I can run mystic shield on my Maw-Krusha to get him to a 2+ save, I can run Hand of Gork to get my brutes into the fight, I can try to counter spell enemy casters. 

With the command entourage I can run Arcane Tome in addition to Armor of Gork which gives me the ability for another mystic shield, and Bash ‘Em Ladz. Armor of Gork gives offensive and defensive buffs to my MBMK, and the AT gives even greater utility. 

People have suggested to me to drop the shaman as well as running a core battalion only to get as close to a 1 drop as possible. If I run a unit of 10 brutes and drop the shaman I can have a 1 drop army. Otherwise if I keep the Shaman but run a squad of 10 it’s a 2 drop army. At worst I think I am looking at a 5 drop with 2 Artifacts that bring a ton of utility. 

Any thoughts or suggestions for my list or any of my thoughts and reasoning behind my choices? Thanks all! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellas, I am facing abit of trouble against Nighthaunt, Daughters of Khaine and Skaven (Clan skyrre) lists. Which are the only factions that I end up fighting against other than one sylvaneth player.

Do you guys have any experience in what to focus on when fighting against these three armies as Ironjawz.
Another question, how do you guys run with the bloodtoof rule, are they only able to move after they have fought in the battlephase? Example, if a group of gore gruntas and a maw krusha are fighting against some battleline unit, and I pick my maw krusha to fight, and it kills the battleline unit. Are my gore gruntas eligible for the effects of the bloodtoof because they were in combat at the start of the combat phase, or do they have to fight?

In my own collection I got 3x3 Gore Grunta, 20 brutes, 30 ardboys, double cabbage, 3x warchanters, 1 weirdnob, and ironskulls boys. So I am able to build most lists, and getting Kragnos soon too.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played some Kruleboyz, and I was interested in trying out Ironjawz, mainly because I've gotten a hold on Kragnos. But, I was wondering how interesting Ironjawz are to play (at least, for me.. Different people have different preferences). I'd rather not mindlessly charge, and are more interested in the tactically interesting factions. How would Ironjawz measure up, compared to say Kruleboyz or just other factions in general. 

Edited by Abstract_duck

• 1 month later...

So I just noticed the ardboys are "No Longer Available Online" on the GW site. Bit concerning seeing as ironjawz only has 3 options for units as is. I hope it is just a re-boxing to the red AoS3 box, over the white box. I doubt they would bin a unit for a book that just came out and has one of the biggest followings of customers. 

1. Yes, Violent Fury buffs the mount as well - it targets an "Ironjawz Unit", not an orruk, and the mount is part of the unit.

2. Strength From Victory specifies "...and add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of this unit's melee weapons, excluding those of its mount." (emphasis mine). So only the rider gets the buff.

Edited by Bobberto

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't played IJ this year and decided to take this list:

Spoiler

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Command Trait: Touched by the Waaagh!
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)*
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121
Drops: 1

to a 3 game event this past weekend. I had been playing NH Nagash to mixed success at my previous two events and felt like something else. Also, my Rogue Idol arrived and I was curious to see what it could do.

Hold the line and Inspired in the off chance I get a Triumph. One drop to keep people honest during deployment.

It was also my first time using MBMK/Arcane Tome/Touched by the Waaaagh. It combos nicely with Fixin Beat and the Idol for +1-4 to cast, usually for Mystic Shield and sometimes for Hand of Gork. Having one dispell also helps but against magic dom or Prized Sorcery its impossible to keep up. You'll really have to know your opponents lore and hope that whatever spell your wish to unbind is realistically possible. 

The Get'Em follows the herd. I was going to take 5x3 GG's but opted for one unit of 6 in case I matched up against Sons or Seraphon Thunderlizard. I didn't.

Deployment was to basically threaten an Alpha. Look for holes to Hand of Gork. Buff up with Violent Fury and go. If there was an opportunity to Smashin'n'Bashin through some screens/weaker units then that is what I'd try and do. Otherwise if my opponent went conservative, I'd give the turn away.

All in all I'm happy with the results. My opponents were great and the matches were fun and that's basically what counts in the end. I realized that I don't play enough games anymore so I'm rusty and made mistakes on things. Switching factions doesn't help but I just wasn't feeling the Waaagh for a few months...

Here are the games:

Spoiler

image.png.3bf2757d935046a5c050778448234f00.png

Feral Foray - DoK - Morathi and the Bowsnakes

If you've been playing AoS for the last year then you've played vs this list at some point. You either love it or hate it or you learn to beat it.

Personally, I felt it was a good matchup and I felt I could make some good trades on everything except for Morathi who'd trade well vs my whole list. Really, that 3 wounds cap is super strong and I'm very interested to see what's in the new DoK book. Will she keep her warscroll? Keep the hero phase fighting/shooting? Lots of questions DoK players will be concerned about!

I deployed in my castle. My opponent deployed her castle. She had screened with the Witch Elves then a layer of Sisters and then the Stalkers behind that. She kept a Khinerai in the sky and had the other unit on the side. Morathis in the middle. The terrain was fairly symmetrical and balanced. Nothing LOS blocking but it didn't matter really.

Looking at the situation I felt if I went first I could take out the screens/Khinerai, punch through with the Idol and get my 2 wounds on Morathi without taking much damage in return.

I took the chance.. MBMK put Mystic Shield on the Idol and sent him, the 6GG and a 3GG across the board. The 3GG took out some Khinerai, the 6GG took out the Witch Elf, another unit of Khinerai and then put 2 wounds onto Morathi. The impact mortals and the 2" reach allowed me to get some attacks onto the Shadow Queen. The Idol saw that the Witch Elf screen was now gone and piled into the Sisters taking out 5-6 of them. The big guy did take 8-9 damage in return, mostly due to her spiking some mortals and me not making any saves. Still, his work was done.

I finished the turn controlling 5/6 objectives and completed Ferocious Advance with my trailing GG/Chanters/MBMK I felt pretty good and took the 5pts.

Morathi fought back and killed a few pigs.

Her turn she did DoK stuff. She went for Conquer on one of her objectives and had Morathi freed herself up in the hero phase by killing the rest of the unit of 6GG's. She then went on to charge the Idol and killed it but only after the Stalkers shot at my unit of 3GG holding her other obj. She killed 2 and the Champion used Inspiring Presence on himself to stick around!

In the end, she held two obj and killed a Monster for 5pts. Tie game!

I won priority and took it. Even though I wasn't in a bad spot to give it away.

I went for Conquer and knew I could burn at least 1 obj this turn. the 3GG's spread out to zone Morathi out and the MBMK cast Mystic Shield on himself and went all the way in to the Stalkers. (36" move is fast) When the Stalkers redeployed I could still hit the Sisters as an option but in any case I felt the game was over since I was controlling the whole board and the DoK were tightly packed into their starting castle. The MBMK went into the Stalkers and took out 11 of them. I scored 6 pts and was ready for the swingback.

DoK chooses Slay the Warlord and I go Finest Hour to get to that hated 1+ save. She puts everything into the MBMK and it survives with plenty of wounds to spare. The MBMK got a 6 on his redeploy and Morathi falied her charge! She also only manages to get her 1 obj for 1pt. its now 11-6

She gets priority and happily takes the double. She chooses Bring it Down and then miscasts for 3 mortals on Morathi leaving her with just 3 wounds left. It just wasn't meant to be. Morathi did manage the charge but the MBMK was still alive after all the blood settled and she only had 2 pts for her 2 objectives. It was funny not having to have the MBMK attack back because Morathi already did her damage to herself. You can't make this stuff up if you tried!

My T3 I brought in a unit of 3GG to finish Morathi, burn an objective and hold everything else on the board. 7pts and it was now 18-8 going to T4

We called it there as we were running out of time. Too much chatting AoS I guess! Great game, great opponent. Smashing and Bashing won me that game for sure.

Honestly, I was very impressed with how the list went after game 1. I used to have a lot of trouble vs this list with my Big Waaagh list in 2.0. Morathi just trades well.

I had a lot of time to chat about it with the folks at lunch and based on what else was being played I felt pretty good. I didn't want to face Zombies because I left the Brutes at home so I was hoping for some SCE or even Kragnos.

I'm a bit tired tonight so I'll write the report for my last two games tomorrow.

As always, thanks for reading!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, broverpowerd said:

Any recommendations?

Kill his necromancer and Radukar asap.

Ignore the zombies unless you can remove most of the unit off the table.

Make sure to hit Vhordrai with a Destroyer Cabbage and a unit of buffed pigs. SOB is deceptively hard to kill in that army.

A buddy at my FLG runs it often. I've had greater success bringing a block of 10 brutes.

Waaagh!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

The megaboss arrived, love the sculpt and started working on him. 

image.jpeg.c08da3a849795b404817f14cf3bc2d29.jpeg

I will be building his base up a bit to better match these guys. But even taking into account the added base size of my other Megabosses, this guy is smaller than the original.

As he comes, he would fit better on a 50mm base, as he is somewhere between the brutes and megaboss in scale. Less bulky overall than the megaboss, with hands/head scaled more like brutes/savage orruk kits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Took the following to a one day RTT @ Rogues Den in Jim Thorpe. This meta is pretty... meta, but weirdly, not meta. There's always a few guys playing meta stuff, and competition is pretty solid.

List Name: Bloodtoofs
 - Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
 - Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- General
- Command Trait: Mighty Waaagh! Leader
- Artefact: Armour of Gork
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
UNITS
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)**
- Jagged Gore-hackas
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)**
- Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)*
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)*
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)*
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1 x Gore Choppas
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
**Bounty Hunters
TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 141
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4 DROPS: 4

Sort of standard, I guess. Anyway, I tried to get it to a 3 drop, knowing most builds sit at four. Given the current point arrangement in the battletome, I was just too far down in points so in went Orksputin, my Shaman.

Ended up going 3-0, scoring 101 battle points over three games.

Round one was a Kairos meme list featuring the following:

Kairos, Changecaster with aura of mutability, Curseling, Fatemaster, 20 Kairics, 9 flamers, 3 screamers and assorted endless spells. Scenario was Head on Collision. I won the roll off and decided to deploy first so I could determine turn order. I deployed my murder bacon outside move and shoot range of the flamers, and allowed him first turn. He got all his spells up - Purple sun, mirror, Horrorghast. I went, got teleport off on the mawkrusher, and used Mighty Destroyers on two buffed murder bacon unit and one unbuffed murder bacon unit. I also got the charge buff off on a reinforced pig unit. Off to the races. He used Fateweaver to force my supercharged pigs into a short charge, but with the Krusher, and 12 pigs hitting his line, he was left with Fateweaver, a changecaster and 5 Acolytes as we went into turn two. He did some spells, I unbound purple sun for the lulz, then he scooped. Final score was 41 to 5.

Round two was  Morathi and the Bowsnakes. This is a super tough matchup with Khinerai  being a later drop to assassinate my support pieces. His list was something like this: Shadow Queen, Morathi, Priest with arcane tome, 15 melee snakes, 5 melee snakes, 10 bow snakes, 2 units of 5 Khinerai, viper spell. This game was a slog. We played Realmstone Cache. I forced him to go first, and got a lucky double. At the end of turn two, he had morathi, shadow queen, and Khinerai, but was still in the game. We ended up going all five rounds, and the final score was 24 to 21.

Round three was against the guy who wins most events there. He was playing BOC with Belakor. Shaggoth, Belakor, Doombull, 2 reinforced bullgors, 1 double reinforced bullgors, 2 units of screening hounds, some beasties, and some ambushing gor units. Scenario was a disaster for him. The mighty and the cunning. Once more I made him go first, and he screened me out with hounds. I used mighty destroyers to clear a path with the pigs, but wasn't able to kill much of value. Turn two, I won the roll off and took the turn; from here it was a cleanup exercise. He scrooped. Won 36 to 5.

In the end, I played a total of 9 rounds out of 15. Another player went 2-1 with Ironsunz and placed 3rd; the DOK player I played round two placed 2nd. The event was solid, and I muse on how game three went if I didn't get the double. I likely still win the game, because buffed pigs rip through minotaurs and BOC in general, and I could score tons of points just killing his units, especially since they would have to be on objectives to engage me. In short, I do think Ironjawz are really solid this edition, and are really positioned well in the meta. The list played exactly how I wanted it too; I didn't place too much thought into scenarios and how ironjawz play into them, as I really wanted to maximize aggression and just try to table my opponents. The Brutes are sort of a waste and may be swapped out for three more pigs once I can get my hands on them. Overall, good event, and I look forward to trying a double krusher list next.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Lanoss said:

So what builds has everyone thought of since the Supplement drop? 
Hordes of Ardboys seems my first action. 

Imao the biggest strength of the new ardboys is in numbers. A double-reinforced unit with the ard boy boss around it could be pretty hard to crack. Yes, sure, before they were rallying at 4+ and they didn't need a dedicated cheerleader specific for themselves, but they used to come in units of 5 not 10. Is 760 points though

• Like 1

Ardboyz are too expensive to justify bringing massive reinforced units for what they are. 

They might be too expensive to bring any number. Contemporary units in this niche of 'low quality 2W models with good saves' are mostly either significantly better, significantly cheaper, or both. The boss won't be your general so the rally mechanic is probably useless due to range - a megaboss tapping 3 units with a 6+ rally is probably better anyway if you really want to throw away CP on rallies. Means you'd be bringing him to double the damage output on the otherwise quite marginal shield bashes, or you just aren't buffing them and hoping the warchanter gets you there. Due to 32mm bases you'll need stikkas possibly even for 10 man units and the buff only working when you GET charged is a massive downside to using these as an offensive unit.

Kind of a shame because at least old cheap 80 point units of ardboys had a niche as an extremely affordable utility unit for capping and screening. New ones are in a very uncomfortable spot, I think they needed to have some kind of MW defense, or to be cheaper, or to have more utility. The ability to weather lots of low rend attacks isn't particularly useful to IJ as a whole, and overinvesting in a huge mediocre unit is asking to get blown out.

Ragerz are (tragically because I think thematically and mechanically they are extremely boring high-efficiency brutes with no shirts) the true performance highlight of the supplement. They'll probably get nerfed into the ground once we start seeing 15 ragerz spam lists outperform alternatives. Big pig swarms seem kind of tedious both from a hobby perspective and the whole momentum tracking thing which isn't what I find compelling about IJ so... overall this supplement is kind of a miss for me, doesn't make me want to return to IJ, at least not until we see the inevitable points changes shuffling around the units in the viability heirarchy.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

'low quality 2W models with good saves

Are they low quality though? 2W, 3+ save, 2 or 3 3+/3+/-1 attacks is a Stormcast profile. I expect them to go down to 200, but that's all. For me, this will already provide for some real choice between Ardboys (expensive, but more board space, more wounds, better save) and Brutes (cheaper, hard-hitters). As I said before, I'm really excited with the prospect of Da Choppas infrantry army with Warchanters-driven engine.