AoS 3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Arzalyn

New Swampcalla looks rad! Though I'd say the existing Swampcalla is even better - which is convenient since that model will be available for a long, long time. Still nice to see alternate sculpt of something a lot of players seem to use multiples of. The clawed staff is spectacular.

Had a few games with the Kruleboyz now, and one challenge I've been having is getting a tarpit units to those far off objectives. Been footslogging my Gutrippaz with an unmounted Killaboss behind them, and placing Boltboyz to one side with a Shaman, but I always feel a bit stretched thin on the scenario. Any more experienced bosses know how to deal with this issue outside of the Supa Sneaky command trait? Are there speedy allied units I should be considering?

7 minutes ago, Smidley said:

Had a few games with the Kruleboyz now, and one challenge I've been having is getting a tarpit units to those far off objectives. Been footslogging my Gutrippaz with an unmounted Killaboss behind them, and placing Boltboyz to one side with a Shaman, but I always feel a bit stretched thin on the scenario. Any more experienced bosses know how to deal with this issue outside of the Supa Sneaky command trait? Are there speedy allied units I should be considering?

I heard some people had great success using Rippa's snarlfang as allies to do exactly this. Spider ridders and a skitterstrand could work as well.if you prefer to stay only with our own keyword, the vulture killaboss could work. Good movement, monster (count as more models for capture) and can pack a decent punch if you need to remove some models from there.

• Like 1

The Big Bird is a pretty handy unit for Kruleboyz exactly as it is both a fast and flying monster, point are tight though, but I think he has a place, could switch with Gobsprakk for this purpose as well.

The army is not all that competitive though no matter what, it ironically is pretty well balanced and has pros and cons and need to sacrifice stuff to gain other stuff, problem is some other armies, who also happen to do MWs on 6s a lot, can do everything without compromise ;)

4 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

The Big Bird is a pretty handy unit for Kruleboyz exactly as it is both a fast and flying monster, point are tight though, but I think he has a place, could switch with Gobsprakk for this purpose as well.

The army is not all that competitive though no matter what, it ironically is pretty well balanced and has pros and cons and need to sacrifice stuff to gain other stuff, problem is some other armies, who also happen to do MWs on 6s a lot, can do everything without compromise ;)

Absolutely. They’re done really well & easily expandable. Hobgrot cavalry, Orc cavalry, some monsters. The range can diversify without the fear of making stuff obsolete with ease.

19 hours ago, Backbreaker said:

What do you think about taking a Troggboss (gloomspite gitz), with a Sloggoth, a unit of trolls (gloomspite gitz) and one/two mirebrutes?

You end up with a bunch of trolls hitting on 2s rerolling 1s for only 1CP.

That sounds like good fun! Also an excuse to get a Dankhold Troggoth!

What would your thoughts be for the rest of the army? Boltboyz and hobgrot screens?

2 hours ago, wolyhammer said:

That sounds like good fun! Also an excuse to get a Dankhold Troggoth!

What would your thoughts be for the rest of the army? Boltboyz and hobgrot screens?

A snatchaboss with 3*3 boltboyz. I don't know if there is something else to complete our battleline requirements. But it gives a good backline for the troll circus!

I'm going to a tournament on the 26th, it's a big event, and I wanted some advice about what to bring. There's some wiggle room, but here's the stuff I probably won't change (partially because it's stuff I already have painted, partially because it's what i know works for me):

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast 315

Swampcalla Shaman x2 210

Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth 180

20 Gutrippaz 360 (Although I have considered dropping them down to 10)

6 Man-Skewer Boltboyz x2 480

Rippa's Snarlfangs (Allied) 70

This puts me at 1615 points, and I have a strong leaning to taking another Mirebrute because of how well they've performed in the past. I'm mostly thinking more Chaff at this point to protect and bubble wrap my stuff. My main choices are a block of 20 GSG Shootas for 140, and 10man squads of Hobgrot Slittaz for 80. I'm curious what you guys think about the list, and what to add in.

1 hour ago, Aztok said:

This puts me at 1615 points, and I have a strong leaning to taking another Mirebrute because of how well they've performed in the past. I'm mostly thinking more Chaff at this point to protect and bubble wrap my stuff. My main choices are a block of 20 GSG Shootas for 140, and 10man squads of Hobgrot Slittaz for 80. I'm curious what you guys think about the list, and what to add in.

What battalions are you thinking of? Because if you're worried about drops a second mirebrute would push you out of a 2 drop with 2 battle regiments. If that's not a concern, the mirebrute is a great pick.

Shootas also favor lower drops while equivalent points of hobgrots can spread out better. 2 units of hobbos will speed bump 4 fulminators twice as long as 1 unit of 20 shootas would. 

Beyond that I always try to include a killaboss somewhere if I'm bringing 20 Gutrippaz, but it's always hard to find the points. 

29 minutes ago, Tomplex said:

What battalions are you thinking of? Because if you're worried about drops a second mirebrute would push you out of a 2 drop with 2 battle regiments. If that's not a concern, the mirebrute is a great pick.

Shootas also favor lower drops while equivalent points of hobgrots can spread out better. 2 units of hobbos will speed bump 4 fulminators twice as long as 1 unit of 20 shootas would. 

Beyond that I always try to include a killaboss somewhere if I'm bringing 20 Gutrippaz, but it's always hard to find the points. 

I'm not really thinking about battle Regiment honestly, I don't have enough space for two regiments without throwing two more sub commanders in, and that's a LOT of points in heroes that are quite small. I was mostly thinking about warlord detachment and then having a brute or two just sitting outside of battalion range.

Edited by Aztok

I should restructure my list so you guys can see what I'm thinking, sorry for not doing so earlier:

Warlord Battalion:

Sludgeraker (General: Egomaniak)(Relic:Arcane Tome)

Swampcalla

Swampcalla

6 Boltboyz (reinforced)

Battle Regiment:

Mirebrute Troggoth (Fast 'un)

20 Gutrippaz (Wicked Stikkaz, Banner, Musician, reinforced)

6 Boltboyz (Reinforced)

Rippa's Snarlfangs

Chaff

Chaff

Chaff

No Battalion:

Mirebrute Troggoth OR Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof

Honestly I don't think I should bother with a battle Regiment, I'm a defensive army so I'm not particularly worried about going first or second unless it's corner deployment, and even then I get to bunker up hard. What has been your guy's experience with Battle Regiments?

50 minutes ago, Aztok said:

Honestly I don't think I should bother with a battle Regiment, I'm a defensive army so I'm not particularly worried about going first or second unless it's corner deployment, and even then I get to bunker up hard. What has been your guy's experience with Battle Regiments?

Having the say on who go first is strong, but I think Kruleboyz is a army that suffer a little to try to get this benefit. Unless you go 1 sludgeraker + shamans and boltboyz spams its hard to get it, as most of our heroes don't fit the battle regiment if you take more than one of them. To be a one drop you loose the mirebrute, another sludgeraker and any killaboss version other than the stabagrot one. Sure you can pick one of these and do a two drop, but them you start to loose the choosing power to any one drop list and anything more than that just get worse. I personally don't think you should warp your list too much around the battle regiment unless your units fit in there normally (kruleboyz don't) or if you can get a really low drop with it (like max 2 drop, which you will not get taking the warlord).

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 7:55 AM, Aztok said:

I should restructure my list so you guys can see what I'm thinking, sorry for not doing so earlier:

Warlord Battalion:

Sludgeraker (General: Egomaniak)(Relic:Arcane Tome)

Swampcalla

Swampcalla

6 Boltboyz (reinforced)

Battle Regiment:

Mirebrute Troggoth (Fast 'un)

20 Gutrippaz (Wicked Stikkaz, Banner, Musician, reinforced)

6 Boltboyz (Reinforced)

Rippa's Snarlfangs

Chaff

Chaff

Chaff

No Battalion:

Mirebrute Troggoth OR Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof

What allegiance? Big yellers?

Had another game against Maggotkin, and I'm going to split up my 20block of Gutrippaz. Every game I spread out my guts a little bit more. Now I'm running 2 10man squads and 2 10man Hobgrots as chaff to protect my power units. I just wish Gutrippaz were like 10 or 14l5 points cheaper.

• Like 1

Quite a hero heavy list for my next game. I normally run 9 or two units of 6 Boltboyz, just having one unit of 6 is more so I can fit all the heroes in. Gobsprakk's on the list as I recently used the Killaboss so I'm up for having some fan with magic.

One thought I'm having is how many standard units is best to run to get on objectives?

List:

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Kruleboyz
     - Subfaction: Big Yellers
     - Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
     - Triumph: Indomitable
LEADERS
Gobsprakk (280)
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)
     - General
     - Command Traits: Egomaniak
     - Artefacts of Power: Mork’s Eye Pebble