Why do you accept this mess?

Battlefury

Was a bit dubious about this being a negative winging thread but your follow up comment @Battlefury and the high quality of responses has been a good read. I think some people forget that not all of us are super competitive gamers. Most of the things on the list here are pretty irrelevant to my enjoyment because of how I play. I make and plan lists to give good exciting games with my regular opponents rather than to play the meta game for example.

The price rise is disappointing, especially with GW making record profits. A more modest, gradual price rise would have been better for everyone.

I've been spending the last month slowly painting up a unit of five Blightkings and I am getting heaps of enjoyment painting these fantastic models. I am loving the hobby right now. 

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Lol because while very true I was the opposite.  I was playing a lot of historical in my late 20s and 30s (with those 40+s you mention fair enough) and just around 40 got so fed up with it I switched to AoS.  Historical really is its own thing.

I started Freeguild for the overlap with historicals, I am currently kitbashing historicals with future models and loving the Victrix vikings, they might be their own thing, but with some care, you can use them with fantasy or sci fi perfectly well.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:53 AM, Battlefury said:

I would like to know your opinion about the state of acceptance due to specific points:

1. Prices increasing with each new release.

2. Rules bloated. It sometimes takes more than 4 books / releases to have all of the rules together.

3. Power level increasing with new releases, leaving older armies behind.

4. GW basically neglecting certain factions, wich just don't get anything new and up to date.

5. Models being locked behind paywalls, or big box sets, for a long period of time.

6. FAQ debacle.

7. Massive FOMO

Why do you accept this mess? Looking for individual opinions here.

cheers///

I personnaly don't but i wasted so much money in it that i'm trapped and almost everyone else makes me feel bad because i don't accept it. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:53 PM, Battlefury said:

I would like to know your opinion about the state of acceptance due to specific points:

2. Rules bloated. It sometimes takes more than 4 books / releases to have all of the rules together.

4. GW basically neglecting certain factions, wich just don't get anything new and up to date.

5. Models being locked behind paywalls, or big box sets, for a long period of time.

6. FAQ debacle.

7. Massive FOMO

cheers///

Ahhhh the joy of painting models, playing friends, having fun, and not thinking about 1-7 ever because,

JOMO about things that don't matter.

• Like 4

Sadly I agree with these points. For now I only want to respond to:

"2. Rules bloated. It sometimes takes more than 4 books / releases to have all of the rules together."

It's getting worse and worse. It might be ok for someone who plays only one army and already knows most of the rules by heart.

The madness increases with each additional army. Then you have a situation where army A has rules spread across Battletome, General's Handbook (endless spells), White Dwarf nr 467 and Broken Realms Kragnos and latest errata. Army B to be played in full needs the Battletome, GHB, White Dwarf nr 471, Broken Realms Teclis and the errata. Army C...

I'm in this actual position. It's a pain to return to an army you haven't been playing for a while. Finding all the stuff, then searching for rules during my games across several different books is a pain and I end up with some rules overlooked or played against the rules. I've had such a game with my Ossiarch Bonereapers last weekend. It took me way more time to search for the rules than plan my strategy. I appreciate that GW has started to update factions more frequently but I'm afraid current method doesn't work. What I suggest is to bring all the rules online into one file. It's ok if it's not free. I think it would be even better to make it some kind of subscription or even better to link it with Warhammer+. And this way subscribers would have all the information in one place and updated several times a year.

• Like 2

These posts are sort of weird in that anyone posting in here, including the author, "accepts this mess" to a degree. Because you're still investing your time and energy into its existence or a belief its  somehow redeemable, or that GW just need to be convinced enough to make a change, which simply isn't true. 

In all the areas that matter to GW, its not a mess. Its the most polished, complete, marketable, profitable, accessible form the company has ever been in, from their perspective. You can get on board with any level of it, or not at all, as you choose. But the consensus by every metric is that more people than ever agree with the direction GW are going 

Because the other hard truth is that the hobby of playing with beautiful little models in any number of systems is more diverse, accessible affordable, than ever before, by an order of magnitude. If you dont want to do things GW's way but want to maintain the hobby, it's never been easier on literally every front.

From my perspective, GW continues to suck at the things it has always sucked at, and that's a feature not a bug. My expectations are realistic and low, so I'm not remotley invested in that sense. 

Like any corporate directed franchise, the artistic direction and vision is long sacrificed. There's no novelty left, only cannabilisation of existing lore and tropes and other more commercially successful franchises. That's just what happens to these artistic properties when creative direction is lost or farmed out.

GW art is rubbish now, but it's intended as a replica of models rather than a the vision of a few auteurs. I accept that and move on. It's not like as an adult with expendable income its hard for me to find artistic and creative inspiration elsewhere. Plus now that I'm not 15 anymore I'm not particularly wowed by the initial riff on existing eurocentric history and mythology that comprises the Old World anyway. The best of Warhammer from that era is less the lore and more the self consciousness and joy with which it was imbued. The nature of GW in the 21st century, like most cottage industries become commercial empires, is that they become, by design, impervious to personality. Duncan Rhodes treatment is a perfect example of this.

My hobbying benefits from having a massive second hand market by which models I like and would never purchase full price are made cheap, and I can use those models in any number of superior rulesets as well as the few decent GW ones.

Their financial sucsess means an increasing release schedule of great models which I'm going to be able to get at easily half their retail value if I'm patient. Usually I fund them by selling models from GW into said guaranteed marketplace. 

The thing so many people seem to miss about GW- you buy their stuff, *it's yours*. You own it. They even *tell you that themselves*. You don't have to use their rules, you don't have to call them the things that they call them, you don't have to follow the lore slavishly like a personal faith. 

Basically- it's only as much of a mess as you allow it to be. You lock yourself in. Nobody else.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, Aeryenn said:

The madness increases with each additional army. Then you have a situation where army A has rules spread across Battletome, General's Handbook (endless spells), White Dwarf nr 467 and Broken Realms Kragnos and latest errata. Army B to be played in full needs the Battletome, GHB, White Dwarf nr 471, Broken Realms Teclis and the errata. Army C...

I was under the impression that the WH AoS app is always up to date. I like my books and initially dismissed the app, but it is actually... nice.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I was under the impression that the WH AoS app is always up to date. I like my books and initially dismissed the app, but it is actually... nice.

Generally it is, but not always. Sylvaneth has a couple of rules missing there thanks to Faqs deleting rules and undoing those changes in latter Faqs...

16 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

Generally it is, but not always. Sylvaneth has a couple of rules missing there thanks to Faqs deleting rules and undoing those changes in latter Faqs...

also, for some reason, the app doesn't include Battle Tactics (either from GHB or faction specific) to the best of my knowledge and ability to search for them :D

On 1/17/2022 at 8:53 AM, Battlefury said:

6. FAQ debacle.

7. Massive FOMO

cheers///

As a player since WFB 6th edition - things are better than they ever used to be. Maybe except for FOMO, but it's on you, not on them so it's easy to ignore. 

I'd welcome any better alternatives but so I have not found any. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lucyferiusz said:

As a player since WFB 6th edition - things are better than they ever used to be. Maybe except for FOMO, but it's on you, not on them so it's easy to ignore. 

I'd welcome any better alternatives but so I have not found any. 

I agree with everything here. However, I do think 6th edition was the best edition of any Warhammer GW ever produced. They went into it with a coherent vision and they largely stuck to it through the entire edition. Additionally, it was the only one where literally every army got an army book, in addition to the introduction of Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms. These army books? Also the best. Why? Several were subjectively narrated by a member of the race. Dark Shadows was so exciting. Storm of Chaos, for all its flaws in execution, was an absolute ton of fun for the people involed (especially at da-warpath). In retrospect, it was a real privilege to live through that edition. So much fun.

• Like 5