Using Dispossessed in AoS 3.0

Lord Krungharr

Didn't see a thread specifically for this topic.  I'm getting eager to make some rune-crafted armylists for my first full foray into Order.  What are people's thoughts on the classic Dwarf units and how to play them currently?  

Warden King seems like a good general with an Amulet of Destiny, probably wouldn't take more than 1 though with the limits on CAs.  But an extra attack for Hammerers seems pretty good.

I'm thinking 2 Rune Lords is good.  Possibly 3 for getting off all 3 prayers per turn (1 being the generic Curse).

Only got my tome a couple days ago, but not real sure about the Cogsmith however in an all Dwarf army.  He could benefit the Gyrocopter/Bombers but I think only Greywater Fastness, and those are moving fast anyways so the Cogsmith couldn't keep up.

For battleline, looks like pretty much everything qualifies with a Warden King as general.  Ironbreakers seem solid with a 3+ save.  Longbeards already have the rend but only 1 attack and only a 4+ save with the rendy axes.  I'd probably go with Hammerers with that kit (which is hard to find by the way).  MW on 6s plus the damage....great with a Warden King and rend prayer from the RuneLord.

Irondrakes are a must.  Wish they wouldn't have legended the Cannons though.

Now given their slowness, it does seem the only viable way to mitigate that with short folk is with allies or coalition units.  Luckily the exotic Dwarves can handle this.  Though it would be cool to see an army of all Dispossessed.  Dwarves don't like magic very much so I'm reluctant to rely on the Soulscream Bridge or Boatman spells.

Any dedicated Dwarf players play in 3.0?  

I have a full dispossessed list and you're about right with all of it and it looks pretty similar to mine. I've got 30 hammerers, 20 irondrakes, 30 ironbreakers (who are now used as 10 man screens), 10 longbeards for the passive buff and to use as a bodyguard for the general, and some copters, all led by a warden king and two runepriests.

Although I do bring 20 irondrakes outflanking in living city they tend not to feel as good as they used to now that the bridge is toast. So many armies now have such obscenely good shooting just leaves me kinda cold on paying 160 for them when they might only get to double shoot one time all game. They also have fairly poor range as far as ranged units go, which combined with being slow and encouraged to stand still makes them an irritatingly static unit.

The cogsmith is useless, I converted one into a second runepriest.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Didn't see a thread specifically for this topic.  I'm getting eager to make some rune-crafted armylists for my first full foray into Order.  What are people's thoughts on the classic Dwarf units and how to play them currently?  

Warden King seems like a good general with an Amulet of Destiny, probably wouldn't take more than 1 though with the limits on CAs.  But an extra attack for Hammerers seems pretty good.

I'm thinking 2 Rune Lords is good.  Possibly 3 for getting off all 3 prayers per turn (1 being the generic Curse).

Only got my tome a couple days ago, but not real sure about the Cogsmith however in an all Dwarf army.  He could benefit the Gyrocopter/Bombers but I think only Greywater Fastness, and those are moving fast anyways so the Cogsmith couldn't keep up.

For battleline, looks like pretty much everything qualifies with a Warden King as general.  Ironbreakers seem solid with a 3+ save.  Longbeards already have the rend but only 1 attack and only a 4+ save with the rendy axes.  I'd probably go with Hammerers with that kit (which is hard to find by the way).  MW on 6s plus the damage....great with a Warden King and rend prayer from the RuneLord.

Irondrakes are a must.  Wish they wouldn't have legended the Cannons though.

Now given their slowness, it does seem the only viable way to mitigate that with short folk is with allies or coalition units.  Luckily the exotic Dwarves can handle this.  Though it would be cool to see an army of all Dispossessed.  Dwarves don't like magic very much so I'm reluctant to rely on the Soulscream Bridge or Boatman spells.

Any dedicated Dwarf players play in 3.0?  

Yes, and I do have to say, them being extremely though, and having some solid shooting as well as buffing units, makes them a reliable army.

although their slowness can be tiring.

I personally enjoy using the dwarfs in a tempest eye army, to be able to mitigate that slowness, for at least the first turn.

and having a +2 to the charge roll really does make them an incredible choice in that coty

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Didn’t the organ gun have had like some great looking dwarfen crewing models?

Yes. There's a dwarf cannon that can be built as an organ gun with dwarf crew. I bought 2 just before they dropped it from the game 🙄.

There's a merc company that allows you to field 2 of them plus a gyrocopter... But no one talks about merc companies Anymore... I'm not even sure if there still in the game.. Pity.. 2 cannons were pretty cool.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

Longbeards can be quite decent, and they give you a hero-like effect that could help you.

Ah yes, the grumblings. Moan about it and it will happen.

"Religious fanatics these days, pah! I remember the old days when Flagellants had a 2+ save..."

Edited by EntMan
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I built my box of Irondrakes, and now still have all those Ironbreaker bits.  Anybody know where to get some cheap Dwarf bodies to make some decent Ironbreakers?  Didn't see anything on Spellcrow for just bodies.

You coul look for basic dwarf warriors on ebay, and upgrade them to Ironbreakers. The cheap LotR dwarves have quite a different shape.

Though the shape is mostly just a cone, you could try and greenstuff it.

Hmmm, I haven't greenstuffed tiny things in quite a long time.  This could be a good project for green stuff stamps.  Maybe with little dowel segments, then stamp little things to glue onto the dowel segments.  But I'll see if there are any cheapo dwarves on eBay.  I got a good deal on some old Miners but many others seem pricy.  Miners will be my Longbeards, or when I get more other units for battleline, a giant unit of Hammerers for the MW potential.  

In the meantime I've got my first Cities list idea using the other units I have or are on the way.  Living City.  Not an event winner but seems fun nonetheless.

Duardin Living City v1.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, I haven't greenstuffed tiny things in quite a long time.  This could be a good project for green stuff stamps.  Maybe with little dowel segments, then stamp little things to glue onto the dowel segments.  But I'll see if there are any cheapo dwarves on eBay.  I got a good deal on some old Miners but many others seem pricy.  Miners will be my Longbeards, or when I get more other units for battleline, a giant unit of Hammerers for the MW potential.  

In the meantime I've got my first Cities list idea using the other units I have or are on the way.  Living City.  Not an event winner but seems fun nonetheless.

Duardin Living City v1.JPG

Perhaps the Frost Phoenix can be a kitbash from a Gyrobomber and/or Gunhauler, and the Dracothian Guard can be Blood Bowl Deathrollers (if you need to keep GW, otherwise look at Scribor, Atlantis or Titan Forge)

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, will pollock said:

anyone know if a pair of gyrocopters in living city would be any good? debating running them in a mixed list.

I think they were a lot better in AoS 2, where big units of low save models were more common, but they look cool and I would love to see a Living City customisation of them.

• Like 1

My dispossessed list is

Warden king

2 × Runelord

10 longbeards

3×10irondrakes

3x10ironbreakers

2×20 hammerers

2×gyrocopters(i have the points to switch for bombers if needed, but prefer the speed of a copter)

Hammerers always in Hunters of the heartland.

I play hammerhall using the warlord trait that gives nearby units +1 to hit and the artifact that gives reroll 1 in woundig in melee, this makes hammerers brutal. Both runelord have curse just in case. 

Edited by Nordrim
  • Like 1

I've been hankering for some hammerers. 

What are some good ways to generate CPs for the Dwarves?  They get the City Adjutant guy pretty easily, but that's usually good for just 1, and half the time.  Seems like with our slowness we'll need that run 6" quite a bit.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:17 AM, will pollock said:

anyone know if a pair of gyrocopters in living city would be any good? debating running them in a mixed list.

Of course I haven't tried it yet but seems like they would be a pretty good unit.  Fairly cheap but they can pose a decent threat (even if not a real big threat) to weak units.  And if you have a CP they could move after they unload the guns on something.  Dropping the bombs on the way, could clear out that lonesome unit of zombies that you couldn't otherwise get to, for example.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:17 PM, will pollock said:

I'm a fan of Gyrocopters. Their movement is super high, they are cheap, they get a small mortal wound bomb once per game for bonk a hero and their horde killer attack is pretty nice against bigger blocks of enemies.

I think their role has changed since 2nd ed, though. You used to be able to easily push a unit of 3 to a point where they could properly delete a 5+ save, 1 wound horde unit. That has become harder in 3rd ed, because to-hit stacking was lost and some other synergies are no longer available (Knight-Azyros). Instead, I would not run them as a small, annoying harrassment unit that you can sacrifice to deny the opponent an Unleash Hell at some point.

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm a fan of Gyrocopters. Their movement is super high, they are cheap, they get a small mortal wound bomb once per game for bonk a hero and their horde killer attack is pretty nice against bigger blocks of enemies.

I think their role has changed since 2nd ed, though. You used to be able to easily push a unit of 3 to a point where they could properly delete a 5+ save, 1 wound horde unit. That has become harder in 3rd ed, because to-hit stacking was lost and some other synergies are no longer available (Knight-Azyros). Instead, I would not run them as a small, annoying harrassment unit that you can sacrifice to deny the opponent an Unleash Hell at some point.

I could see them getting better, when the hordes come back.

Das with the current cost of most 6-5+ 1 wound models, I’m not certain we will see those models to often.

maybe with a decrease in points for those struggling hordes (excluding pinks) we could see the return of the gyrocopter again.😊

18 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've been hankering for some hammerers. 

What are some good ways to generate CPs for the Dwarves?  They get the City Adjutant guy pretty easily, but that's usually good for just 1, and half the time.  Seems like with our slowness we'll need that run 6" quite a bit.

Generating CP:

First of all, there are the non-city specific ways.  You of course have the Adjutant, which gives you one on a 4+.  Then there is heroic action, which gives you one on a 4+.  The Warlord Battalion can also give you an extra CP once per game (you have to choose that you want to receive it at the start of your hero phase though) - note, this is in addition to the extra enhancement.  Alternatively, the command entourage can also do so, but there you have to choose between CP and an enhancement, and it is hard to say that the CP would be more important than the enhancement.  Additionally, if you only care about running, you can stick a hero and a troops unit into the vanguard battalion for one free use of at the double or forward to victory per game.  You can also choose the "Skilled Leader" command trait for getting a CP on a 5+ in your hero phase.  An easy prayer to add to your runelords is "Guidance", which can give you a CP on a 5+, and since you get a free prayer enhancement that is pretty trivial to add... but it does man that you can't take curse.

Next up, city specific.

Hammerhall has "Banners Held High", which can give you a CP on a 6+ for each unit with a banner in your army.  Massed dwarfs = lots of banners, so there is a reasonable chance you can get some CP from this one.  Also can choose the command trait "Academiate Prodigy" to start the game with an extra CP... but a CP on turn 1 isn't really worth taking a command trait for.

Anvilguard has the illicit dealing for d3 extra CP on turn 1... if CP stuck around turn to turn this might be worth it, but since that will only be there on turn 1, it isn't really worth it.

Tempest Eye has the "Seerstone Amulet" that gives you a CP on a 4+ in your hero phase (reasonable if you have already grabbed the arcane tome and possibly the amulet of destiny on a hurricanum).  You can also take the spell "Celestial Visions" to get a CP on a spell cast of 7.  This could be worth taking if you have multiple wizards and already gave one Aura of Glory.

Hallowheart can take the command trait "Warden of the Flame" for an extra CP on a 4+.

Greywater Fastness can have the command trait "Seat on the Council" for an extra cp on a 4+ - however, you would probably do better to stick a general with "Drillmaster" next to some irondrakes for re-roll 1's to hit.  Also has the "Magnificent Macroscope" which gives you an extra CP on turn 1 - but once again, it goes away after turn 1 making it notably less useful.

Settlers Gain gives you "Strategic Mastermind" for an extra CP on a 4+ each turn.

Finally, for some unit specific stuff.

The Lord-Imperitant can issue a command without a CP being spent every turn (no restrictions for stormcast only).

You can make Aventis Firestrike your general (Hammerhall only) and you get an extra CP on turn 1.  Note, aventis is basically a Taurelion with an arcane tome, but he only affects Hammerhall/Hammers of Sigmar units, so if you want to run hammerhall and an arcane tome on something else, he is actually worth it (note, also can give +1 to hit to your units, meaning you don't necessarily need to take a hurricanum).

Note, all other stormcast hero's that get some sort of CP manipulation are restricted to stormcast only.  No other hero's in the cities have abilities that grant extra CP, nor do any that I could find from other coalition options.

Overall, I would recommend Tempest Eye if you are running dwarfs that want to get into melee.  The extra 3" move turn 1 can get them up the board fast enough to get into position, and they also get a static +1 to their run rolls for the whole game.  Note, this stacks with the +1 to run from the various dwarven musicians, meaning that turn 1 you are guaranteed a run of at least 10", and turns 2+ you are guaranteed runs of at least 7".  Tempest Eye can also allow you to take the Zephyrite banner to be able to re-roll charge rolls for units wholly within 12" of the bearer, saving you some CP there as well, and of course you are going to take a runelord as your general with "Hawk Eyed" to give the +1 to wound bubble for shooting.

• Thanks 1

@readercolinWow, thank you very much!  I'm looking forward to getting my Start Collecting Greywater Fastness box today to nab a Warden King and 10 more Irondrakes.  I'll probably convert the Cogsmith to a Runelord, as I just don't see the Cogsmith being too valuable.  2021 was the year of Destruction for me; 2022 will bring Order.

• Like 1