The Painting Contract - December 2021

TheOtherJosh

Hello folks and welcome to the Painting Contract for December 2021, the last contract of 2021!

If you don't know the rules they are:

Each month you post an amount of models that you agree to try to paint/build/convert/sculpt. This can be terrain or models for Age Of Sigmar, Warcry, Blood Bowl, Blitz Bowl, Dungeon Bowl, Warhammer Underworlds, Warhammer Quest, Gorechosen, or HeroQuest

On the 28th of the month the contract closes and you can then post your progress images so that they can be critiqued, shared and boasted about. It is a great way to get involved in the community and to get inspiration.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone share their progress!

Enjoy!

@Mohojoe  @TheOtherJosh& special thanks to @Kramer

Last month was very successful (I'll make a post about that in November's forum later today) and this month with Christmas break I should have LOADS of time to paint, so here we go:

Paint 3 Necron Warriors

Paint 2 Canoptek Plasmacytes

Paint 3 Canoptek Scarabs

Paint 2 Skullreapers

Paint 2 Morghast Harbingers

Paint 1 Mortisan Boneshaper

Build 3 Skorpekh Destroyers

Build 1 Skorpekh Lord

Build 10 Necrons Warriors

Build 3 Canoptek Scarabs

A pretty aggressive pledge, we'll see how things go!

• Like 1

I'm aiming to finish my Corvus Cabal, which will be used as Chaos Marauders. Seven models to go to get my initial ten finished then should have my first 500 points of my army done and I can try playing the game. Working on the unit champion today then will batch paint the remaining six.

If that gets done I'll work on getting my Chaos Warrior unit up to 20 models and then add another 10 to the Marauders.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, Mako said:

I'm aiming to finish my Corvus Cabal, which will be used as Chaos Marauders. Seven models to go to get my initial ten finished then should have my first 500 points of my army done and I can try playing the game. Working on the unit champion today then will batch paint the remaining six.

If that gets done I'll work on getting my Chaos Warrior unit up to 20 models and then add another 10 to the Marauders.

Finished off the champion today, sort of...only realised once I compared him to the rest of the unit that I'd painted his trousers the wrong colour 🙈 oh well, should be fairly simple to fix. 

Spoiler

Screenshot-2021-12-02-at-15-48-16.png

The other guys: 

Spoiler

Screenshot-2021-12-02-at-15-48-33.png

Screenshot-2021-12-02-at-15-48-48.png

Screenshot-2021-12-02-at-15-49-08.png

Still need to paint up shields and paint the bases but will wait till the rest of the unit is done and bash it out all in one go.

• LOVE IT! 2

I'm getting a bunch of French historicals today, as well as Les Grognards heavy weapons, so I'm going to make something from that. A few (60) fancy coats will fill out my "body bin" nicely and give me something to paint when I don't feel like using stuff that I plan for other uses.

Build and paint 10 Grenadiers in a historical fashion.

Make a plan for some conversion with Grognards and Admech parts for nice Stargrave teams, and a few for Frostgrave as well (fancy coats are always useful).

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Made some more progress, finished off the next four marauders and based the eight I have done. Two more to paint for the initial ten, not happy with one of my conversions however so need to do that first. 

Screenshot-2021-12-06-at-08-51-46.png

Really happy with how they turned out.

Screenshot-2021-12-06-at-08-51-28.png

Full squad so far, still need to paint up the shields also.

Edited by Mako
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

Haven't done one of these in a while, but figured I should at least try. Got a silly 1k Skaven army I am gonna try and finish for a tournament this weekend. After that, the hope is that I can wrap up at least a few projects to a decent point so I can feel better about starting a new project for the New Year! lol Wish me luck!

So I got to do:
1 more Stormfiend
Unit of 3 Stormfiends
1 Doomwheel
1 Bombadier

Already finished the half done Stormfiend and the Ratling Gun conversion shown below. 
1550174718_Skaven1k.jpg.5bd324f6e62f3cda55838d38f7a17447.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Here are a bunch of Blightkings for you:

84751758_20211207_0834311.jpg.2fcb42f5b1e7570c9e2531181baed788.jpg

I inadvertently painted them in the official colour scheme. And I thought I was being so unique giving them white cloth, too! :D Makes sense, though: White shows dirt super well, so white cloth is perfect on them.

Anyway, these guys are definitely a good choice for a beginner army. I had a lot of fun just slopping washes onto them. I might expand them into a 1000 point Nurgle army. It just seems so imminently achievable. Very relaxing and quick to paint.

I also used Citadel barbed bracken on the base of a mini for the first time with these guys. Personally, I strongly dislike how static grass tuffs look. I always feel like they look like they belong into a different world from the miniatures next to them, because they are so thin and soft. I feel the chunkier plastic of the bracken more closely matches the "art stlye" of the mini, if that makes any sense. Even if it's out of scale. The basing theme on these guys is supposed to be a jungle or forest floor. I like it well enough, but I think I'll need to figure out some other stuff I can put on there for bigger models like the Pusgoyle Blightlords I will have to paint next.

20211206_211545[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 6

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Here are a bunch of Blightkings for you:

84751758_20211207_0834311.jpg.2fcb42f5b1e7570c9e2531181baed788.jpg

I inadvertently painted them in the official colour scheme. And I thought I was being so unique giving them white cloth, too! :D Makes sense, though: White shows dirt super well, so white cloth is perfect on them.

Anyway, these guys are definitely a good choice for a beginner army. I had a lot of fun just slopping washes onto them. I might expand them into a 1000 point Nurgle army. It just seems so imminently achievable. Very relaxing and quick to paint.

I also used Citadel barbed bracken on the base of a mini for the first time with these guys. Personally, I strongly dislike how static grass tuffs look. I always feel like they look like they belong into a different world from the miniatures next to them, because they are so thin and soft. I feel the chunkier plastic of the bracken more closely matches the "art stlye" of the mini, if that makes any sense. Even if it's out of scale. The basing theme on these guys is supposed to be a jungle or forest floor. I like it well enough, but I think I'll need to figure out some other stuff I can put on there for bigger models like the Pusgoyle Blightlords I will have to paint next.

20211206_211545[1].jpg

They look awesome, LOVE the bases!

3 minutes ago, Mako said:

They look awesome, LOVE the bases!

Thank you for saying that. I always feel like a bit of a fraud when it comes to basing because I always just throw some Miliput on there for hight, cover everything in sandy texture paste and leftover bits and slap a bunch of semi-random colours all over them. Or just buy pre-built bases, haha.

47 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I utterly failed last month and lost motivation totally. This month I will complete my 5 knights of Khorne. Which given we are a week in and I have not picked up a brush since early November may be tricky.

Maybe I should just pledge to paint something and enjoy it again

I totally feel that. Sometimes, painting the models you actually need for your army can be a bit of a chore. Personally, if I am really not feeling it, I just paint a small hero or something as a refresher.

Maybe you could try not batch painting your guys? I know it's faster and more consistent, but I always find it a bit soulless. If you go model by model, at least you will have one guy completely done after a day or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I totally feel that. Sometimes, painting the models you actually need for your army can be a bit of a chore. Personally, if I am really not feeling it, I just paint a small hero or something as a refresher.

Maybe you could try not batch painting your guys? I know it's faster and more consistent, but I always find it a bit soulless. If you go model by model, at least you will have one guy completely done after a day or two.

Definitely doing something besides batch painting is needed. I have been on these 5 models for ages now. So a change is needed. I am eyeing up one or two interesting projects on the side. For example Talisman has lots of individual models, so may be a fun project.

• Like 1