Tale of Two Moderators :)

This is a bit later than originally planned, but myself and @Overread have decided to embrace "New Rules New Army" and we're each going to build and paint up a new AoS army!  Because sharing is caring, we'll be posting up our progress on TGA and allow you to comment, cheer and make suggestions*.  Our ultimate goal is to build our armies up to (at least) 2000 points and with luck meet up a Warhammer World somewhen next year** for a game or two.

We're both fans of the Tale of Warlords format, so going to be following something sort of similar with a few odd changes.  Firstly we're not setting communal goals, real life often throws curveballs and we're doing this as a fun hobby project.  Next up, we've agreed that we'll be posting up regular progress posts to keep everyone up to date with where we are even if the visible progress may be small.

* what have we let ourselves in for?!
** date may vary depending upon pandemics, plagues and other events

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Yep new rules new army - or at least finished army! 

Myself I will be working on a Slaanesh force themed lightly around Ghur. I'll freely admit some of these models for me are built, but my primary weekly/monthly output is going to be focused on motivation toward painting - a skill that I've dismal skills in and put so little time into over the years compared to the rest of my hobby. So this project is, for me, all about paint more so than anything else. It's about having a force that will stand on the tabletop with paint, that will look better than a sea of grey! 

My force will be starting simple with a Viceleader and Deamonettes with a view toward growing and fleshing out a full demonic force with some mortal allies. I'm also starting it simple so that I can grow painting toward more complex models later rather than try to bite off too much early on and ending up leaving them till last or simply not doing a job that's good enough for my standards. 

And heck along the way I'll be replacing some of the battles that might take place in reality with some short writing bits on the adventures of the host as it grows from a mere handful of demons into a powerful host designed to sweep away all that RuneBrush has in a tide of painful depravity! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

The past few months have been slightly traumatic for two of the armies I collect for Age of Sigmar, seeing both my Legion of Nagash and Legion of Grief armies disappearing from the list of Pitched Battle options available in AoS 3.  The mod challenge has given me is the perfect excuse to do something I have been wanting to attempt for some time – create a visually unique army that might stand a chance at receiving a painting  nomination at an event (which has been on my hobby bucket list for a while).  Posting my progress publically should keep me on the straight and narrow of getting things finished too.

One thing I've personally found useful in the past is setting a few realistic but challenging constraints, so here's my initial ones for this project

• My army needs to have a solid narrative focus and be playable as both a Path to Glory force and a Matched Play army
  • It needs to be playable in a GW store and at GW events, so I need to stick to Citadel miniatures & conversions
  • Lastly there needs to be a conversion or two (possibly using the Anvil of Apotheosis rules)

Deep down I knew that I had to create a Soulblight Gravelords army, not only would it ensure I continued the work of the Great Necromancer (all praise Nagash), but it also meant that I could continue painting my Cursed City miniatures and use the basing scheme I had invented for those - basing is one aspect I don't really enjoy and normally put off doing.

Composition wise, I am aiming for something monster heavy.  Not only have monsters have been given some nice boost in the new edition, they're also aesthetically  striking on the tabletop.  Another reason is that I'm a notoriously slow painter and large models mean I can use my airbrush to speed things along.  I will need to include some non-monsters unit because a path to glory force containing just a Zombie Dragon and Terrorgheist isn’t going to win me any friends!  As with Overread, I've actually made a bit of a start on the models (couldn't help myself), but not done any painting yet. 

My hobby desk currently contains ten Cursed City skeletons based and undercoated and a Terrorgheist assembled ready for basing.  The crazy heat we've had in the UK meant that I've also started on my Zombie Dragon conversion - but more on that in a future post 😉

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

Oh this is awesome, I really look forward to seeing the progress!

As the bane of both your existence with my constant derailing of the rumour thread, I am really grateful for all the hard work you put in and I am really excited to see your armies take shape! Do we have any word on Kragnos' relationship to Mawcrushers or other types of drakes?

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

@RuneBrush if you're leaning toward conversions then a unit of zombies can really provide an awful lot of conversion opportunity, you can take any sort of model/unit and zombify it by putting the limbs at awkward angles and having the heads twisted. Though it also means a lot of models to paint 😧

Also for differentiating your dragons and terrorgheists I've found replacing the rocks they stand on with bits of terrain and walls etc to be really great for them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lightbox said:

@RuneBrush if you're leaning toward conversions then a unit of zombies can really provide an awful lot of conversion opportunity, you can take any sort of model/unit and zombify it by putting the limbs at awkward angles and having the heads twisted. Though it also means a lot of models to paint 😧

Also for differentiating your dragons and terrorgheists I've found replacing the rocks they stand on with bits of terrain and walls etc to be really great for them.

Cheers.  My intention is zombie lite initially as I know having lots of models to convert & paint will take me forever (always far too tempting to put extra details on).

The plan is that the Terrorgheists will have some scenery added to the bases in replacement for the rocks - at least on the ones I build in the future.  Big decision there is what scenery!  The mausoleum works really well but has been done to death (ba-dum-tish), but I'm not convinced the sigmar themed terrain will look right.  The Zombie Dragon isn't going to use the Terrorgheist kit as a base 😉

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Cheers.  My intention is zombie lite initially as I know having lots of models to convert & paint will take me forever (always far too tempting to put extra details on).

The plan is that the Terrorgheists will have some scenery added to the bases in replacement for the rocks - at least on the ones I build in the future.  Big decision there is what scenery!  The mausoleum works really well but has been done to death (ba-dum-tish), but I'm not convinced the sigmar themed terrain will look right.  The Zombie Dragon isn't going to use the Terrorgheist kit as a base 😉

I cut up some of the seraphon engine of the gods terrain to give my terrogheist a nice wall to stand on. If you don't mind lots of sawing then that kit would give loooooads of terrain bits. Some of the new settlement ruins coming out could work, make it seem like your army is attacking a filthy sigmarite city ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Can’t wait to see what you come up with and I’m jealous. If work wasn’t so silly at the moment I would be joining in!

I hope that you all make this a regular tradition.

I would say annual, but a new army every year would be a fairly tall order. 

• Like 1

I'd shame you for stickying this, but mods are gods (and I'm a sucker for Tale of Warlords stuff).

All hail our mod overlords.

Hail_Ants_in_Episode.jpg.1fca35ab021ae5d2d2da648314b3796d.jpg

ETA: Still begging for a Rumo(u)r Sub-Forum so we can get social interaction out of the one rumor thread that might be helpful and into the rest of the general discussion.

Edited by Fairbanks
Paltry begging, of course.
  • Like 2

And by means of giving an update (whilst managing to achieve nothing much at the same time :P ) behold my super rough slaanesh plan

https://pileofpotential.com/Overread?project=91068221

And no that is not all that I plan for this project that's just the messy sorta overarching plan for everything Slaanesh! But it gives you some idea of my strengths (buying and building) and my weakness (everything after that!). So I will do a proper one of these for starting the army.
And now for the start of a force, which going by the rules the smallest forces are now 750 points (the rules don't actually have an entry for 500). 

https://pileofpotential.com/Overread?project=27979903

Got to amid I still find the whole "reinforcements" side to army building overly complex and limiting. I get why GW does it and I see the bonus in allowing more varied units and options for middle weight units to get a place in the army without always being overwhelmed by big full compliment troop blocks, but gosh darn it "troops" of just 10 models with command just seem visually wrong to me. Then again GW has been cutting banners from infantry units, so perhaps the next generation of deamonettes won't have banners and we'll get a generic banner hero instead. Which makes far more sense its just likely a good 10 years off :P

Still as my core weakness is paint this beginning of demonic incursion is simple; deamonettes for the most part. Something to cut the pincers on in terms of painting. Not that diverse, not that interesting and perhaps even a touch simple narrative wise. Yet from small starts do great things arise 

So first step - clear the desk and find my rattlecan of primer! The Grey shall become the White (wizard?!) 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

In an effort not to be outshone by @Overread, I gathered together the models I have assembled so far and took a bad photo for everyone to look at!

The vampire from the Underworld warband will be my Zombie Dragon rider

Edit: it's 505 points assembled and 1095 if I include the VLoZD & Vargheists 😉

IMG_20210803_063552_963.jpg

Edited by RuneBrush
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was a little while since I posted an update!  The past couple of weeks have largely seen me working on my Zombie Dragon conversion - I'm still not 100% ready to reveal it to the world as there's still quite a lot left to sort including things like finding the "perfect" sized piece of scenery to prop the flipping thing up with (which needs to be 55 ~ 60mm tall 🤦‍♂️)

However, here is the rider - broadly it's a simple kitbash, but underneath I've flatted off the base of the chair a bit and drilled out holes for pins.

received_694877724804021.jpg.ca9da1c130c6174452c2a3725a4a3844.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Zombie Dragon conversion has plateaued whilst I wait for a load of bits to arrive - have been struggling to blend the chair into the dragon body, so basically ordered a load of bones to try some ideas out 🤣  Am also pilfering the wall, steps and tree from Yndrasta which I think should provide the extra support on the base I need.

What this does mean though is that I've made a start painting the unit of skeletons from Cursed City!  Only at the base colour and wash stage on this five, I'll get the other five up to this level and then do all the edge highlights in one hit.  Pretty happy with the colours as I didn't have a clue what I'd do until I started.  I'm going to try and incorporate the purple into the armour of the dragon and vampire elements too, though will be shading it with blacks so that it's a slightly different hue.

E9bMoqyXEAEiL-N?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!  Progress isn't quite as fast as I'd have liked as real life has been fairly busy.  All ten skeletons now have their base coats on and I've started the process of highlighting

Apologies on the quality of this photo*, but the "cheeky bonus Watch Captain" has had his metallics and bone highlighted.  Two highlights are sadly needed on the metallics which will slow progress down a bit.  I have also worked out how I'm highlighting the purple, though I've taken the decision to replace one of the pots of paint as it's an old one and the consistency isn't great (GW reformulated all their paints in the latter part of 2018 and this one is prior to that).

* I've no idea why, but my phone has really struggled to take a decent photo of the skeletons so far.  Will try again over the weekend as this picture isn't doing the model justice at all!

I'm still waiting for the bitz I ordered the other week for the Zombie Dragon, apparently there was a problem and the mail bag didn't get picked up 🤷‍♂️  The terrorgheist has now been based and undercoated though!  This means that once I get the skeletons finished I'm ready to crack into that model (a few airbrush sessions are on the cards) - I probably need to work out I'm painting it at some point as I don't even know the colours I'm going to use 🤔

I'm going to give @Overread a gentle nudge now!

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

A gentle nudge isn't good enough - I need a freaking push off a cliff edge kinda nudge! ;)

Though more seriously I hope to get some paint on models this weekend and get some feedback

Like your painting on that skeleton! The dabs of colour on the cape (almost looks like you used contrast paint?) give it that mottled soiled/worn look of an old bit of cloth never cared for since its owner passed over to death. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Overread said:

Like your painting on that skeleton! The dabs of colour on the cape (almost looks like you used contrast paint?) give it that mottled soiled/worn look of an old bit of cloth never cared for since its owner passed over to death. 

Cheers 😁  Cloak current is super simple and just Daemonette Hide with Magos Purple contrast over the top so far!  Couple of edge highlights helps to make it pop a bit more.  The contrast is a lot more pronounced in the picture than it is in the flesh - potato cam strikes again!  I've also matt varnished it to remove some of the sheen that contrast always leaves behind.  Look forward to seeing some pics of your models soon!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Blimey - long time here with no update!  Hopefully you'll all be pleased to hear that I've almost finished my monumental zombie dragon conversion...  Tiny bit more filling required and should get a photo up in the next day or so!!!

Can’t wait as I’ve had a sneak peek at it and can’t wait too see what else you have completed in it!

• Like 1

Somehow the weather gods were kind to me today and not only did I manage to finish the last bit of filling, but I actually got the blessed thing undercoated!

Rest of the pictures in a spoiler snippet as I can't work out how to scale them down 🤣  The inner cavity of the chest is actually sculpted - something I'm really not an expert on (and yes it will be mostly covered up).  I really underestimated the physical size of this model too - it genuinely dwarfs any other AoS model I own and is taller than my plastic Imperial Knights.  I think I got up to 7 or 8 separate kits that's been used for this...

The chest armour, chair and vampire have all been left as separate models - in fact the vampire is three pieces as I've left the cloak and weapon separate so that I can actually go to town on the armour.

Spoiler

ImageImage

ImageImageImage

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 7

• 4 weeks later...