Did You Order Dominion From GW USA?

Just an informal survey of a sort.

GW put up Dominion preorders two weeks ahead of release. That would give them plenty of time to pick and pack orders placed in that window so that they could ship the orders on release day.

Currently my over $700 order, placed in under two minutes from the instant preorders went up, sits there, untouched.

(I also, once again, don't have the current White Dwarf from my subscription, but that's pretty much normal.)

So, the question(s)-

Did you place your Dominion order from GW directly? 

Did you have it shipped to your home as opposed to a store?

When did you order?

Did you get yours yet?

Thanks.

If you look on GW's site, they're currently projecting delivery "within 25 days" for all orders. I recently bought something from FW, and it took them about 10 days to ship it, but that wasn't a preorder obviously, was FW, and I have no idea how representative that was. I know someone who preordered a 40k codex through GW's web store and it didn't get put in the mail until a full week after the release date. Again, I don't know how representative that is. 

Another reason not to order from GW directly IMO, along with paying up to 15% more and not supporting a local games store. 

Edited by yukishiro1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

When did you order?

Did you get yours yet?

Yes

Yes

On the first day of Preorder

No, but I got a shipping notification 4 hrs ago (9PM EST) that I will have it via UPS on Friday (thinking that UPS likes to deliver to my neighbors, I'll probably get it Saturday or Sunday when my neighbor realizes that my package is not his.)

Thanks, all. 

@novakai, your insight shows me something I feared might be the case.

They clearly had the ability, with a pre-order window of two weeks, to pack up the orders of those who ordered early, and get them shipped ... somewhere. They are simply not handling orders like mine despite proving they are capable of doing so. Yes, I see the delay message, but this was two weeks out and they showed they were picking orders for the product and getting them shipped in time.

For whatever reason, they just are not taking care of a segment of the population.

From now on, if I order anything from them directly, it'll be limited edition stuff only.

I'll be using Miniature Market for the rest. Good communication. Quick service. Real time inventory levels so you don't get lied to about what the have on hand (as opposed to several other popular Internet-only stores who have failed me and do nothing to promote ground-level recruitment). Loyalty program. Etc.

I've spent just over $3200 with GW direct in 2021 so far, just over the half way point of the year. Going forward, most of that will be going elsewhere.

Thanks again, all, for the info.

granted I am not sure if my location made it easier to get my preorders in on time.

my state is one of the best at getting its vaccinations so there less COVID restriction and I believe its somewhat close to one of GW distribution center.

pretty much everyone i knew got Dominion on the same day I did.

6 hours ago, novakai said:

granted I am not sure if my location made it easier to get my preorders in on time.

my state is one of the best at getting its vaccinations so there less COVID restriction and I believe its somewhat close to one of GW distribution center.

pretty much everyone i knew got Dominion on the same day I did.

I'm in a similar (possibly same) state that borders one of their distribution hubs and mine still hasn't been picked, as confirmed by their email response this morning. 

All I know is that I won't be preordering direct ever again. 

yes

home

When did you order?

<1hr into preorders

Did you get yours yet?

It's out for delivery today. I am 1 shipping day away from their facility in TN. 

I ordered from GW only as a contingency. I also ordered from my FLGS (20% cheaper, and get it on launch day).  As soon as my GW copy shows up I'm calling them and arranging a return to my local GW store.  I think this is a great method if you're worried about something selling out / GW cutting your FLGS allotment.  Inconvenient for GW maybe but that's what they get for the horrible way they do all this. 

• Like 1

Yes

Yes

When did you order?

Two hours after preorders went live on the 19th

Did you get yours yet?

No. Got notification last night from UPS that it shipped, but according to the tracking info only the label has been created. I'm not expecting it until next week which is a bummer because I have time to paint this weekend and, more importantly, motivation.

I ordered two copies, one third party and one from GW direct shipped to my home. I wanted both the swag bag that came from the in-store purchase and the objective markers from the direct order option XD

My third party order arrived earlier in the week while my GW order is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I very much agree that GW should be able to do better.

Well, again, the GW site says to expect shipping delays due to COVID precautions. I know that Ingram & Baker & Taylor, the two major distributors in the bookselling trade, along with the smaller Barnes & Noble distribution center (two of the three of which are, like GW's major Eastern USA hub, are in Tennessee, curious that) are all still running on reduced staff due to social distancing. My local Warhammer store is still closed to gaming and hobbying and has a new limit on the number of people allowed in the store at a time. Maybe GW is just one of the fair number of companies who are being extra careful. Cases are back on the rise in the southeastern USA.

2 hours ago, Christopher Rowe said:

Well, again, the GW site says to expect shipping delays due to COVID precautions.

I mentioned my thoughts on that above. I've been relaxed in my expectations from them throughout Covid on regular weekly stuff. This is different. This was a two week window for their biggest release of the year.

Crucially, they also proved that they could pick and ship orders within that window and get them to their own stores for release day. The facts point to them simply not putting in the work for orders to homes.

You've already ordered from them. They have no incentive to ship your stuff fast. They'd rather ship stuff to stores fast to get it there on launch day so people who haven't bought it yet can make purchases. The preorders make it to the store too because if you're sending some you may as well send all of them.

This is the reality of GW as a company. They care about the $. You can wait because you've already paid. 

On 7/8/2021 at 9:35 AM, thubivision said:

Yes

Yes

When did you order?

Two hours after preorders went live on the 19th

Did you get yours yet?

No. Got notification last night from UPS that it shipped, but according to the tracking info only the label has been created. I'm not expecting it until next week which is a bummer because I have time to paint this weekend and, more importantly, motivation.

Mine was just delivered, probably the last person to get theirs who preordered direct from GW. I guess that's what I get for living in the rural backwater of San Francisco. Lesson learned I suppose.

1408102862_ScreenShot2021-07-14at11_53_17AM.png.810a4eb4e5c9a889c25bc29ddd6503e7.png

GW might have 2 weeks 

However during those 2 weeks GW was delivering regular parcels and packages as well as preparing for Dominion. They couldn't just shut down the rest of their ordering and packing process and whilst they didn't have a big release in those two weeks other than Dominion, remember that Dominion is a major shipment event. It's way larger than most regular orders and likely works at GW's maximum capacity to process. 

BEFORE you add covid safe working conditions, which means fewer staff working at once, fewer interactions between staff and a different means of working around the warehouse (one way systems etc...). So not only is each staffer working less efficiently than they were before covid, they are also working with fewer staff. It's a bottleneck GW can't shift. I'm sure they've moved things around to make it as good as they can, but they can't just throw up new supersize supersafe warehouse to operate from. 

A one week delay is pretty acceptable. Heck there are people in the EU who waited months for their post because it left GW and entered the mess of import/export that is Brexit's fallout. That's not just GW, but other products and shipments too. 

GW are already under stress to get their parcels out the door for a regular order day; for a big new edition which sparks sales of stuff across the whole range (yet lots will order Dominion, many will also order a book and a new box or three of models), its just a much bigger volume of material to push out the door all at once. 

In the end this is reality of today and GW are far from alone. A lot of firms have had similar issues. I've seen firms shut down orders, pause production and stop certain product lines just to catch up with the volume of orders going out. Or having to restructure to work safe; or just having stuff going out but it not reaching people in good time because of the postal bottlenecks. 

• Like 1

@OverreadI hear ya, and am generally sympathetic to the current situation for businesses, not just GW.

It's just that people who had it shipped to GW stores got theirs day of release - proving that GW could pick, pack, and ship orders for individuals. They had the capability. That undercuts my sympathy.

BTW! I learned yesterday that you can go into GW stores to place pre-orders to bypass the queue system. That's right, you can jump ahead in line - ahead of people ordering from independent shops and ahead of people at their home - by going to the actual GW stores. Dunno how I feel about that.

Well that makes sense since the queue system is mostly designed to try and limit/prevent scalpers taking all the stock in seconds and users from crashing the website at launch of major releases. If you're in the physical store then chances are you can't stand there at the computer making 50 orders to each of your various accounts and different addresses and such. So you're basically a proven customer. 

As for shipping on the day chances are its just that GW ships to stores before shipping to customers. Likely because those customers have to travel to the store to get their product, so they are more inconvenienced than you sitting at home. Plus the last thing GW wants is people turning up to the stores and not having products - that leads to way more complaints than a bit of late post - esp in the current times where travel to stores is a less common and more risky event (eg people might well be taking all proper precautions and the store visit is a very rare trip for them as opposed to just popping in casually).