AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

34 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I'm trying to think what REALLY strong allegiance abilities they will come up with that could counter balance all of those nerfs and sideways changes... 

I'm going with "Myrmourn Banshees as Battleline" as my preferred allegiance bonus, please. They're just straight-up awesome now - Spell Eaters seems enormously overpowered and will probably get a rewrite at some point (though even if it was once per unit per turn and you couldn't roll multiple times against the same spell it would still be really strong), but they also seriously improved their attack profile.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

I'm going with "Myrmourn Banshees as Battleline" as my preferred allegiance bonus, please. They're just straight-up awesome now - Spell Eaters seems enormously overpowered and will probably get a rewrite at some point (though even if it was once per unit per turn and you couldn't roll multiple times against the same spell it would still be really strong), but they also seriously improved their attack profile.

It's a good thing I already have 12 painted that I couldn't field in 3.0. hopefully if they make them battleline, I might!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Darkrich said:

My last hope for the craventhrone guard, is characters have a bodyguard rule for them in their profile like fyreslayers do for hearthguard. 

The Scriptor Mortis does have a (pretty bad) version of that in its profile.

"Once per phase, you can allocate one wound or mortal wound that would be allocated to this unit to a friendly Nighthaunt Summonable unit within 6" of this unit instead"

So only 1 wound once per phase.

But more importantly... do NOT do that on Crossboos. They only have a single wound and cost 19 points per piece. Do it on  Chainrasps who cost literally half as much and don't meaningfully degrade the whole unit. Or on Spirit Hosts who have 3 wounds that can potentially be healed back up.

Crossboos will be among the worst bodyguards even if we get a very wide-ranging bodyguard rule

1 minute ago, The_Dudemeister said:

The Scriptor Mortis does have a (pretty bad) version of that in its profile.

"Once per phase, you can allocate one wound or mortal wound that would be allocated to this unit to a friendly Nighthaunt Summonable unit within 6" of this unit instead"

So only 1 wound once per phase.

But more importantly... do NOT do that on Crossboos. They only have a single wound and cost 19 points per piece. Do it on  Chainrasps who cost literally half as much and don't meaningfully degrade the whole unit. Or on Spirit Hosts who have 3 wounds that can potentially be healed back up.

Crossboos will be among the worst bodyguards even if we get a very wide-ranging bodyguard rule

My confusion is ...why are they holding out SO MUCH on the warscrolls? Why does every ability feel like a weaker version than anything else we see on other scrolls (or Order scrolls). I mean this is a bottom tier army in the current meta. What do we have that's so strong that could influence such toned down, weak abilities on warscrolls we saw. Hell, we even have some more 5+ saves now instead of 4+. I just don't get it. Everything we saw so far is boring and a nerf.. except Banshees who are now good but extremely situational. I'm just ranting off here, I apologize. These reveals really brought me down. The crossboos is probably the worst profile in the entire game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

My confusion is ...why are they holding out SO MUCH on the warscrolls? Why does every ability feel like a weaker version than anything else we see on other scrolls (or Order scrolls). I mean this is a bottom tier army in the current meta.

I'm also very confused. The two options are:

Either these warscrolls show the general direction of where the new codex will go. That feels scary because it just means more boring warscrolls that aren't even stronger. 

Or those are all designed with the current codex in mind. The sprue on the Scriptor says 2021 and it's easy to imagine how all that could've been released up to a year ago. Which is also scary as it shows a complete lack of insight of why Nighthaunt are so weak and that they didn't even think about points going down

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

It's a good thing I already have 12 painted that I couldn't field in 3.0. hopefully if they make them battleline, I might!

I ran them before this - they were bad, but everything in Nighthaunt was bad, and they would still occasionally wreck face. With +1 attack all the time instead of only if you managed to unbind a spell, flat 2 damage, easy access to +1 to hit, and the best magical defences in the game, without even a points increase? They're nuts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

I'm also very confused. The two options are:

Either these warscrolls show the general direction of where the new codex will go. That feels scary because it just means more boring warscrolls that aren't even stronger. 

Or those are all designed with the current codex in mind. The sprue on the Scriptor says 2021 and it's easy to imagine how all that could've been released up to a year ago. Which is also scary as it shows a complete lack of insight of why Nighthaunt are so weak and that they didn't even think about points going down

Oh yeah!  I forgot about the points man! Bladegheist took a huge hit, they lost whatever good thing they had (the reroll) but gained... Nothing. They're still the same exact average boring profile they were, that all the army has. And are still 190pts for 10 :D

It's mindboggling.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:49 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Or just make Ethereal "ignore all rend" and let positive and negative save modifiers affect it. That's another option that would make things more easy.

I have played a game like that. It's way more fun - you get to play with all the rules and have to better manage CP. I wouldn't say it broke the game but it did make a least two units per round as tough as SCE.  My NH still lacked offense but at least it didn't feel like I was getting completely steamrolled. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The_Dudemeister said:

We're the Anti-Magic faction now!

Myrmourn Banshees, man... buy'em, paint'em, field'em.

Yes, against magic heavy armies. Sadly the top tables are still ruled by armies that don't use that. Against Seraphon and Lumineth although those often benefit from spells cast upon themselves. Since the aura of a banshee unit is 12" wholly within, it means you pretty much need to be in their face to stop those. Against offensive spells it's the greatest ever I admit. Just keep these little details in mind. 

Edited by That Guy

7 hours ago, That Guy said:

TLDR; Open the salt banks, it sucks for us, sort of.

I still ordered the Arena of Shades box. The models are cool and I'll have fun painting them up.

That is what this hobby is all about!

Having 30 Bladegheists might be a bit much now but I'm sure I'll use them all in at least one game this year!

Scriptor Mortis. 150pts, hahaha! Craventhrone 95pts is ok.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Boggler said:

I still ordered the Arena of Shades box. The models are cool and I'll have fun painting them up.

That is what this hobby is all about!

Having 30 Bladegheists might be a bit much now but I'm sure I'll use them all in at least one game this year!

Scriptor Mortis. 150pts, hahaha! Craventhrone 95pts is ok.

I ordered it too. Being slightly worried and disappointed so far doesn't mean I don't love the models, I did own a few banshee, but I didn't have a lot of bladegheist. The box will be a nice build. I can still see a use for all of these units, especially how deep our toolbox has already been so far. When Idoneth got their update, some people were similarly worried about some of their builds. The tomes made sub-factions interesting and opened up a plethora of toolbox options to build the armies of the Idoneth. The overall battle trait enhanced the play experience and magic, lore and even artifacts directly boosted these traits or added upon it. While I was overall pretty negative and salty about the initial info of the Arena of Shades box, I still believe Nighthaunt can definitely become competitive through the book update. It will be an exciting time and nerve wrecking one for sure. We currently aren't very frontloaded, so the pressure on the book being good is a lot bigger. Let us al pray to the great necromancer himself, for we shall need his guidance in these daring times till the book drops. That book has to make our backpack feel like it's loaded with stones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I ordered it too. Being slightly worried and disappointed so far doesn't mean I don't love the models, I did own a few banshee, but I didn't have a lot of bladegheist. The box will be a nice build. I can still see a use for all of these units, especially how deep our toolbox has already been so far. When Idoneth got their update, some people were similarly worried about some of their builds. The tomes made sub-factions interesting and opened up a plethora of toolbox options to build the armies of the Idoneth. The overall battle trait enhanced the play experience and magic, lore and even artifacts directly boosted these traits or added upon it. While I was overall pretty negative and salty about the initial info of the Arena of Shades box, I still believe Nighthaunt can definitely become competitive through the book update. It will be an exciting time and nerve wrecking one for sure. We currently aren't very frontloaded, so the pressure on the book being good is a lot bigger. Let us al pray to the great necromancer himself, for we shall need his guidance in these daring times till the book drops. That book has to make our backpack feel like it's loaded with stones. 

Yeah I'm also getting the box. My pre-order was already done. I'll end up with 16 banshees total. I guess I can do 2x8? And 30 Bladegheist. Really curious if I'll be able to play all of those. Hell, maybe chainrasps will come in units of 20s now, huh?

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Like 1

I just had a thought that kinda scares me. GW has a tendency to make units that aren't selling well stronger and kind of cycle through them like that everytime they update books. Maybe Bladegheists are just normal fodder now but Harridans and Glavewraith will have real strong warscrolls, like Rend -2, 2 damage each, battleline and can be massed. That would make me real sad because I don't own nor like any of those models :(

Edited by Jabbuk

8 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

I just had a thought that kinda scares me. GW has a tendency to make units that aren't selling well stronger and kind of cycle through them like that everytime they update books.

Its a sad reality. Everything Nighthaunt already sells. Its a beautiful army and doesn't need good rules to please the stock holders.

"Every one of these warscrolls took a serious hit, even those bumped up in other ways, and everything staying the same points feels like a sick, Nagash-level joke at this point."

That goonhammer summary of the rules preview pretty much nails it. Time to learn to live with the fact that we got bin guy again... And this time, he seems to revel in kicking armies that are already down. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Elmir said:

"Every one of these warscrolls took a serious hit, even those bumped up in other ways, and everything staying the same points feels like a sick, Nagash-level joke at this point."

That goonhammer summary of the rules preview pretty much nails it. Time to learn to live with the fact that we got bin guy again... And this time, he seems to revel in kicking armies that are already down. 

Hahaha oh man, 'bin guy'. I hadn't heard of that one. I presume it's the same talented individual who did the Bonesplitterz "update" to 3.0, proceeded to clean all the warscrolls, didn't add a single thing and called it a day. Transforming the army into a boring army with no personality (or strength) whatsoever.

Gotta say, some of you had crazy unrealistic expectations. We knew the Scriptor Mortis and Crossboos. If you expected more than what they showed, you haven’t been following the previews. 

Also, the trend has been for warscrolls to be simplified and lose some abilities. I’m not surprised to see Bladegheists and the Spirit Torment lose some abilities. 

My biggest concern is that Myrmourns and to a lesser extent Crossboos did not go to 2 wounds. Those are tiny units to be at 1 wound a pop. 

I’m sure there will be synergies in the books. All of the 3.0 books have had good stuff in them. 

• Like 2

If our book ends up being another total flop Im probably done with the hobby.

The last necron book was a headscratcher that felt overcomplicated and nerfed the models in my collection, and NH's original tome felt oddly cobbled together and poorly thought-out since the get go.

I dont fancy another 3 or more years playing a door-prize army in my area's FotM meta-chasing super competetive crowd.