AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

I figured it is time to switch the discussion thread with the start of a new edition. 

I also know a lot of Nighthaunt players are down on the faction, but I remain excited. My first list is going to be a two drop, as I think being able to choose to go second will be a way to give the army a boost. 

I was also interested by the list that can be found at Goonhammer here:

Goonhammer Article with Nighthaunt List

So let’s start by talking about what lists we’re planning to try and what our experiences are with actual gameplay.

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Well honestly, I gotta share your optimism! It’s the new edition after all, and we have no idea what that could possibly bring for us. I doubt our 3e Battletome will come with anything other than some scenery and maybe a new hero, but that’s fine cause we got a lot of love model-wise last edition.

For lists, I’m probably gonna try and out something together for the Reikenor’s Condemned subfaction, because I have a lot of Glaivewraiths and Grimghasts that I would like to put to use lol

5 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I was also interested by the list that can be found at Goonhammer here:

Goonhammer Article with Nighthaunt List

Being a Legion of Grief exile I intuitively looked for bloodsucking allies to compensate for NH's weaknesses. Mannfred is a great choice with being a fast, flying and self-sustaining MONSTER. Speaking of instinct, I have the urge to fill my list with more meat like 20x Bladegheist Revenants and 20x Grimghast Reapers, but that's a thing of the past I guess.

7 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Being a Legion of Grief exile I intuitively looked for bloodsucking allies to compensate for NH's weaknesses. Mannfred is a great choice with being a fast, flying and self-sustaining MONSTER. Speaking of instinct, I have the urge to fill my list with more meat like 20x Bladegheist Revenants and 20x Grimghast Reapers, but that's a thing of the past I guess.

Is LoG confirmed dead? I haven't been following what they did with that.

1 hour ago, JustAsPlanned said:For lists, I’m probably gonna try and out something together for the Reikenor’s Condemned subfaction, because I have a lot of Glaivewraiths and Grimghasts that I would like to put to use lol

Unless I’m missing something, that doesn’t help Reapers, does it? 

15 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Yeah I do see Mannfred as having a lot of potential. I don’t care for the model, and am going to start a new army this edition, so I don’t think I’ll try him out. But I think he could be a lot of fun. Honestly, there’s several decent options in Soulblight. 

7 minutes ago, Btimmy said:

Is LoG confirmed dead? I haven't been following what they did with that.

Yeah. The new GHB lists which books are still matched okay legal, and the one that features LoG is not there. 

How I see ghosts in 3.0:

• Emerald Host:
  • Warlord (for extra CP and artefact):
    • Dreadblade (Fell wind)
    • Krulghast
    • Guardian of souls (wychlight lantern, shademist)
    • Chainghasts
  • Battle Regiment (for minimize drop):
    • Olynder (soulcage) - general
    • Spirit Torment
    • Hexwraiths x5
    • Hexwraiths x5
  • Hunters of the Heartlands (to ignore monster roars)
    • Chainrasps x30
    • Reapers x30
    • Bladegheists x10
  • Grand Strategy - Hold The Line 

Lady O with bodyguards and torment for OlyBomb, reapers with GoS and rasrps with Krul as hammer and anvil, gheists with ghasts as MSU, Dreadblade everywhere for winding, scoring, warding and distracting.

Another one

• Reikenor's Condemned
    • Warlord (for extra CP and artefact):
      • Spirit Torment (Fell wind)
      • Krulghast (Ruler of the Spirit Hosts) - general
      • Reikenor (Soul Cage)
      • Chainghasts
    • Battle Regiment (for minimize drop):
      • Guardian of souls (Corpse Candle, shademist)
      • Spirit Hosts x6
      • Myrmourn x5
      • Black Coach
    • Hunters of the Heartlands (to ignore monster roars)
      • Chainrasps x20
      • Reapers x30
      • Bladegheists x10
    • Grand Strategy - Hold The Line

Spirit Hosts with Cruciator - anvil, Reapers with GoS - hammer, Reikenor as Mortal Spam, Coach as distraction (and source of Spirit Hosts), Rasps as suicide squad for scoring, myrmourns with GhastHeists as MSU.

@Ranzou

Those are both pretty interesting. I especially like how you put your core units in the Hunters in the Heartlands battalion. One of the things that I'm really interested to see is where average drops come in at. 

The first list I plan on trying is:

Emerald Host

Battle Regiment:

Lady Olynder (general)

Dreadblade Harrow (Pendant of the Fell Wind)

Krulghast Cruciator

20 Grimghast Reapers

20 Grimghast Reapers

10 Hexwraiths

10 Chainrasp Horder

10 Dreadscythe Harridans

Black Coach

And then Reieknor outside the battalion. 

My thinking is that at two drops, I'll probably have the drop most lists. I doubt too many lists will be on drop. I would take second almost every game, knowing I can hide my units in the back or off the board to prevent a turn 1 alpha against most forces.  That would set me up to either take a double turn or to at least avoid getting doubled 1 into 2 and have an additional command point. I think it would realistically prevent me from being double until rounds 3/4 unless I choose to be as players will probably want to take the second turn in round 3 a lot now. I like the idea of dictating the flow of the game, and think it fits in well with the movement shenanigans that the army can do. 

I might try something like this. Taking Mannfred is too tempting.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Reikenor's Condemned
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Warlord

• Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380) - Allies
  • Reikenor the Grimhailer (165) - Lore of the Underworlds: Soul Cage
  • Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (135) - General - Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts - Infernal Lantern (Artefact): Beacon of Nagashizzar
  • 20 x Grimghast Reapers (310)
  • 2 x Chainghasts (75)

Vanguard

• Spirit Torment (115) - Artefact: Corpse Candle
  • 20 x Bladegheist Revenants (380)
  • 20 x Chainrasp Horde (190)
  • 20 x Chainrasp Horde (190)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 113

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

What's the consensus on our updated endless spells?

I’m still not impressed and don’t own them to test them out. 

I think Emerald Lifeswarm is really good though. On the turn you cast it, you get 2D3 wounds or models back. Adding that with other things like the Black Coach, Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, Spirit Torment, and Lady Olynder makes for some solid resurrecting for an anvil style unit. 

• Thanks 1

Of all of our models I would suspect the Torment of being made a Priest if they retroactively give out the tag. 

The GoS is more the healer type but I doubt they will rewrite it out of it's wizard status.

*edit* actually come to think of it; with BR designed with 3rd Ed in mind... one wonders why the KC isnt a priest. 

Edited by Neck-Romantic

7 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

Updated for 3.0

Please give a gander and correct me where I've messed up or misled.

Also, if you've got some lists that are rolling opponents, I want to see them. I'll feature them in the guide and give you credit.

You need to correct the mininum size for Bladegheists in your "Cheap Hero Hunting" trick to 10.

Furthermore you should at least mention allies. Their restrictions are negligible and they can be part of core battalions.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Neck-Romantic said:

Just wasnt sure if they counted for the new ability sets

Yeah, until Forgeworld releases a new Monstrous Arcanum it counts per the GHB (unless it gives moved to Legends). 

As is, I see a lot of potential running two with a Krulghast. 

Or the mounted KoS; give it an all out attack order and +1 attack and fling the Mourn at scary targets. 

Bonus points if a Torment is nearby for Frightful rerolls

Im more excited that the Mourn will see more use for Roar and Demolishing terrain pices

Edited by Neck-Romantic

7 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Or the mounted KoS; give it an all out attack order and +1 attack and fling the Mourn at scary targets. 

Im more excited that the Mourn will see more use for Roar and Demolishing terrain pices

You can’t give All Out Attack and +1 Attack as they happen in the same phase and units can only receive one command ability. 

1 hour ago, dmorley21 said:

Did something take away the keyword? It still has it in the app. 

6 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Picked up a Vorgheist flesh craft studios Mourngul alternate sculpt; hope they are made Monsters

53 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

The Vorgheist is an amazing model but currently the Mourngal is not legal for matched play. If its not in the GHB then its not legal. The App or Warscroll builder has no bearing on a units legality. 

Considering other FW units were dropped, many are thinking a supplemental FW codex will be released eventually with new points and overhauled warscrolls. Thats what they did with 40k.

Hey guys, I know there is some doom and gloom in this faction right now. We were recently rated as one of the worst 3 factions in 3rd edition so thats nice lol 

However I did want to point out one gain: Getting access to full Soulblight Gravelords as allies is pretty huge. Blood Knights, Radukar the Beast, Terrorgeists, and Vengorian Lords are all solid additions to our list. Terrorgeists and Vengorian lords/Lauka  are solid options for capping monster-based objectives. 

I have a tourney this weekend where I am fielding a bunch of Grimghast Reapers, Harridans and a Vengorian Lord. I will let yall know how it goes. 

• Like 2