AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

5 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

@Arzalyn thanks! No it’s Bad yellers so the Bolt boyz are battleline.  The 3rd gutrippaz is just to hold objectives or to screen/replace a unit that dies. I want to try a battle with 3x10 hobgrots instead of the 10 GR and spell that will probably be a better list. I like Grinnin blades but a 20 inch double shot threat range is too good and 27” standing still allows me to be more defensive. 

the portals would be for black pit or nasty hex yes sadly gobsprakk isn’t the most reliable caster all his spells are 6 or 7 so you can never count on it (if I had 80pts I’d take 10 hobgrots instead of a spell see above) most of the time I cast mystic shield, arcane bolt, make a character a monster (for the ferocious advance extra VP t1 or t2) and choking mist (which is the best spell IMO stop a whole army running if they bunch up which means more time for me to score Vp, position t he Waagh and dakka dakka) 

egomaniak is pretty amazing on average it gives the Snatchaboss boss an effective 21 wounds AFTER save rolls love it! 

Oh I saw 3x Gutrippaz and immediately thought they were there to fill the battleline tax, didn't even pay attetion that the only way of taking 9x boltboyz would be with big yellers. As they aren't and if you are using them mostly to keep objectives/screen, trading one unit for 2x Hobgrotz looks like a good exchange.

I really like our spell lore, but I never thought about taking the spell portal for the reasons you said (no bonuses, little high cast values). Getting access to our whole lore is the main selling point of gobsprakk for me, there are some really good silver bullets in there and most of the time our shamans are too busy preparing potions to cast any of them.

I love the flavor of the Snatchaboss having his little grotz crew by his side! I just wished some of the attacks they make benefit from the VeW, as they would always have this boost while protecting the boss. I will surely give this combination a try when I get my Marshcrawler.

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

Da Curze of da early 'dition books!

Yeah, I just hope they don't change the battletome design much more until we get some love. I'm ok with it been a middle/low tier faction, just don't want it to go to the bottom of the barrel like Nighthaunt did for most of the 2nd edition... I hope we get some narrative focus in the next narrative releases as we are on of the edition factions, maybe we get some extra models/rules if this happen like they did with the legion of grief.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 1

I really don’t think Kruelboyz are a terrible army but they do need the game for a full 5 turns (I know every game should be 5 turns but at tourneys this doesn’t always happen sadly) 

This applies to all armies but especially Kruelboyz you want to have a plan about what battle tactics your going to do across the turns as well as make sure you score objectives. Gobsprakk and a Snatchaboss means you can try to turn a shaman or breakboss into a monster to get a 3 pt Ferocious advance (T1 or T2 tactic IMO) what’s great about this is with Gobsprakk (or a spare shaman) and choking mist you can let the opponent set up then if you get the spell off they can’t do FA tactic because they can’t run even if you can stop 1 monster of 3 doing it your up 1 VP now.  Or let’s say they set their army up and they have 2x10 skeletons and a necromancer in what’s obviously a set to do the 3x run we can use our Dirty trick to remove one or both of those units off the board once again denying them.  

take dat suckas is another great tactic to do (do 10 wounds don’t take 10 wounds) very easy to do and with boltboyz you can do this 27” away and not even move you army. 

Monsterous takeover, aggressive expansion, kill a battleline are another 3 you probably do without moving very far forward at all.  You want to get your enemy on the back foot and coming forward especially into the 20” boltboyz kill zone 19 dice with poison is pretty disgusting really.  if they have to engage to score then you can shoot them if they don’t engage grab a beer and win the game by sitting still. Mork is very happy to win with your head! 

there’s a few other cool trick too lethal surprise doesn’t effect out units so you can position a unit on terrain or near an objective so if they want to charge you they are probably taking D6 mortals before they even fight (boltboyz are the kings of this they get charged do unleash hell and lethal surprise Oof) 

I guess I’m trying to convey that the Kruelboyz are a different mindset to Ironjawz, I often am quite happy just getting a single gutrippaz on an objective to score it and goad the enemy to come at me if they tag the objective and I get the priority I’m going in but if they try to engage me head on I’ll waaagh them and possibly unleash hell as well (once did 21 mortal wounds to a Vampire Zombie dragon with unleash hell mwwahaha)

Sneaky boi’s need a good few games I believe to really start to see their full usage (and play against loads of armies too so you learn what to focus the boltboyz at etc…) 

Anyway that’s enough waffle for now :)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Smash said:

Anyone else feel like dirty tricks should've been D3 tricks rather than 3x 4+ rolls. Feels so bad not getting any. 

Yeah I felt like I alway use the -1 to wound trick on first turn one the most since it’s guarantee to happen and feels useful

2 hours ago, Smash said:

Anyone else feel like dirty tricks should've been D3 tricks rather than 3x 4+ rolls. Feels so bad not getting any. 

yep 100%, last game I got 0 for trying "disappointin' act"... but I play them just casually and for fun so a bit of crappy randomness can be a source of laughs as well at least 😂

• Like 1

On average you should get at least one from the 3 dice I think in about 40 games Ive maybe not got at least one 4+ maybe 3 or 4 times but yes it’s still a chance. 

-1 to wound is great but I use that the least 

covered in mud is my go to if I can get a decent terrain piece in my deployment zone if I can get 2 4+ then that’s the shaman and boltboyz unable to be targeted with missle weapons or spells that require a visible target which means they can pretty much only be charged…. And then I have unleash hell 

if I’m not bothered about the enemies shooting or magic then I use one of the others lethal surprise I just love but the -1 to wound or disappearing acting are also getting useful 

@W1tchhunter

gobsrakk

snatchaboss

breakboss

shaman 

marshcrawler 

3x10 GR

1x9 boltboyz 

Portals/purple sun 

full list is a few posts back :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

On average you should get at least one from the 3 dice I think in about 40 games Ive maybe not got at least one 4+ maybe 3 or 4 times but yes it’s still a chance. 

-1 to wound is great but I use that the least 

covered in mud is my go to if I can get a decent terrain piece in my deployment zone if I can get 2 4+ then that’s the shaman and boltboyz unable to be targeted with missle weapons or spells that require a visible target which means they can pretty much only be charged…. And then I have unleash hell 

if I’m not bothered about the enemies shooting or magic then I use one of the others lethal surprise I just love but the -1 to wound or disappearing acting are also getting useful 

@W1tchhunter

gobsrakk

snatchaboss

breakboss

shaman 

marshcrawler 

3x10 GR

1x9 boltboyz 

Portals/purple sun 

full list is a few posts back :) 

I dont think u can put mud on the shaman actually as he is a hero..?

I think in particular disappearin act should not require the 4+ as we still need to beat wounds and it cant target reinforced units.. so already fairly restricted 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NCFCpaul said:

I've been using Kragnos in mine, which gives the option of 3D6 charge making the Gutrippaz more effective. 

Anyone else have thoughts about Kragnos or ways to utilise him effectively? 

check out Season of War on youtube, they have a fairly recent video discussing Kragnos (both in Kruleboyz as well as other armies)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, woolf said:

I dont think u can put mud on the shaman actually as he is a hero..?

I think in particular disappearin act should not require the 4+ as we still need to beat wounds and it cant target reinforced units.. so already fairly restricted 

Yes you are correct stupid me :) 

On 3/10/2022 at 12:34 AM, Sangfroid said:

Hey guys, @Abstract_duck the marshcrawler is actually not bad for 150 pts his main role is to stand close to snatchaboss so I can bounce the egomaniak wounds on to him (Then hope to heal some back) he is also great for buffing the breakaboss, snatchaboss and vulcha attacks as these guys do nicely benefit from the +1 to hit. Lastly he can tank a few things if needed and his snipe is pretty usefull too now with command points. A bit niche but people sometimes get sloppy with character placement and if you snipe out the champ then no command abilities unless in range of another hero. If he also got VW then would be very good for 150 I think (Weird why the whole army doesn’t just get it it!) 

Interesting! I hadn't considered that the Crawler is a good target for Egomaniak - especially because it doesnt lose it's functions such as the buff & grab if it loses a few wounds, while other units such as gutrippa's do.. I'm, going to have to consider the crawler a bit more in my lists! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering kruleboyz for escalation league but no idea what to use at 750.

The rules at 750 are: no allies, only battle tome artifacts, and no models over 240 pts. 

I have 2 dominion boxes plus 2 more boxes of Boltboyz and a Beast-skewer killbow. 

I'm considering buying a Brekka-boss

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Megaboss Badgash said:

I'm considering kruleboyz for escalation league but no idea what to use at 750.

The rules at 750 are: no allies, only battle tome artifacts, and no models over 240 pts. 

I have 2 dominion boxes plus 2 more boxes of Boltboyz and a Beast-skewer killbow. 

I'm considering buying a Brekka-boss

Thanks!

At this points range and with those restrictions, you could try something similar to this:

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy: Sever the Head
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)*
- General
- Command Trait: Supa Sneaky
- Artefact: Mork's Eye Pebble
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*
- Lore of the Swamp: Choking Mist

Battleline
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)*

Units
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 725 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 46
Drops: 1

You can trade the 3 boltboyz for a man-skewer if you don't need the second battleline. Basically sneaky the boss at their front line to how them there and shoot with the buffed 6 boltboyz to take out the relevant targets. The artefact is most a safety tool if you end going second against a strong shooting list.

13 hours ago, Megaboss Badgash said:

Looks fun but seems like capturing objectives would be a challenge.

Remember you can super sneaky your hobgrots to capture an objective or block your opponents units for taking objectives + your breakerboss can fast un, then move and use a CP to run 6". thats 16" move on turn 1.

Dont think you will lack movement for this point size and you pack a pretty big punch from boltboyz and breakerboss

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Megaboss Badgash said:

Looks fun but seems like capturing objectives would be a challenge. 

I was considering something like this for objective play but it lacks punch. 

This point level stinks for KB...

Sure, it has few bodies for capturing objectives, but from my experience playing at this point range this doesn't matter that much. I recently played in a 750 points tournament and most games were over by the end of turn 2. Its mostly a matter of using your strong units to take their strong units first. You have two powerful damage projection pieces, the Troll and the buffed boltboyz, they should be able to clean the strongest units your opponent have and you shouldn't have much problem taking objectives after that (as they will have few models to do so).

• LOVE IT! 1

Hey guys, quick rule question for Kruelboyz player:

Choking mist: 

Choking Mist is a spell that has a casting value of 7 and a range of 24". If successfully cast, pick a point on the battlefield within range and visible to the caster. All units within 6" of that point are affected by choking mist until the start of your next hero phase. While a unit is affected by choking mist, subtract 1 from the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons used by it (to a minimum of 1), and it cannot run.

Does you check the units once the spell is cast and thoses units stay affected until the next hero phase, or once they leave they are not affected anymore and it's just while they remain in the 6''?

2 hours ago, broche said:

Hey guys, quick rule question for Kruelboyz player:

Choking mist: 

Choking Mist is a spell that has a casting value of 7 and a range of 24". If successfully cast, pick a point on the battlefield within range and visible to the caster. All units within 6" of that point are affected by choking mist until the start of your next hero phase. While a unit is affected by choking mist, subtract 1 from the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons used by it (to a minimum of 1), and it cannot run.

Does you check the units once the spell is cast and thoses units stay affected until the next hero phase, or once they leave they are not affected anymore and it's just while they remain in the 6''?

I interpret same way as @NauticalSoup, I think about it as a "flash grenade", it goes off and all in radius are blinded (choked) until next hero phase :)

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 12:49 PM, W1tchhunter said:

Gosh this thread has died a bit... Kruleboyz not doing well huh haha. 

Their performance took a nose dive right out of the gate. They have over-pointed units and janky, random rules that have you rolling more dice than you should just to get basic benefits. It's crazy that they have to roll 4+'s to use their Allegiance Abilities. They only have one decent sub-faction that forces you to lean into shooting. Melee-focused Kruelboyz armies are basically non-existent because of this and heavily limits list building. Hence why there's nothing really to discuss about them.

People were afraid of Boltboyz at first, but everyone realized you can't win many games with a small handful of tissue-paper-wearing shooters and no bodies. And then the rest of the army just falls apart against any kind of moderate threat. Kruelboyz are the flimsiest army in the game (barely any armor saves, no ward saves, no easy-to-achieve debuffs), and they don't have the damage to make up for it.

Gutrippas are unplayable, imo. They're so bad at their cost-performance. They need to be 140. But there are a number of things that need to come down in points to make melee armies viable. For instance, I think the croc should be sub 300, he's very swingy and dies quickly to any focused fire. The birds are pretty useless warscroll-wise...I don't know how cheap they would need to be to get used.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Sitting here with a fully primed Kruel army that I have no incentive to paint because bringing them to the table is rough. Still, we can pray to Mork that the GHB will offer some significant points drops for everything, and maybe they'll get back on their feet.

• Like 1

Funnily enough it's not that their units are bad per se. Badly costed maybe, yeah. But in terms of "what they do & how" Kruleboys are okay.

No, their problem is that the range plays like the designers stopped 2/3 into the intended miniature (and unit) range.

Gutrippa Cavalry, a non-hero monster, *some other unit* need to be released for them to get a push in list diversity. That & enough of a point drop that you can properly layer your units. Screen Gutrippaz with Hobgrots, counter attack with Gutrippaz (and the Kruleboys Whaaagh), all while shooting at stuff with a moderate amount of boltboys.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rachmani said:

Funnily enough it's not that their units are bad per se. Badly costed maybe, yeah. But in terms of "what they do & how" Kruleboys are okay.

No, their problem is that the range plays like the designers stopped 2/3 into the intended miniature (and unit) range.

Gutrippa Cavalry, a non-hero monster, *some other unit* need to be released for them to get a push in list diversity. That & enough of a point drop that you can properly layer your units. Screen Gutrippaz with Hobgrots, counter attack with Gutrippaz (and the Kruleboys Whaaagh), all while shooting at stuff with a moderate amount of boltboys.

More units (especially good ones) would only make the ineffective options we have now even less desirable by comparison. It's not a range problem, the army is just kinda bad.

• Like 1