What's wrong with square bases?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think GW are pretty aware that this was gonna be a problem straight from the get go. but i think, moving forward, we will see rounds being a requirement becoming the norm more and more. pretty much everyone measures from the base, and i wouldn't be surprised if the rules got rewritten as well. that means i gotta rebase some 150ish skaven sooner or later....:(

1 minute ago, Arkiham said:

Isn't that the point of hobby?  To hobby.

I don't understand people's resentment if doing it.

ofc i see ur point, and yes this is part of the hobby indeed. but i can't help to feel like i have wasted money on texture paints, paints and especially time on the squares. i started this army last summer as well so its not like a several year old army with would feel more "okay" i guess. this just seems lazy and stupid by me because i somewhat always knew that some day, in time, I'm probably gonna have to rebase them. id rather spend my time painting or modelling, even though the aesthetic reward will be there once they're all on rounds

10 minutes ago, Kosmion said:

ofc i see ur point, and yes this is part of the hobby indeed. but i can't help to feel like i have wasted money on texture paints, paints and especially time on the squares. i started this army last summer as well so its not like a several year old army with would feel more "okay" i guess. this just seems lazy and stupid by me because i somewhat always knew that some day, in time, I'm probably gonna have to rebase them. id rather spend my time painting or modelling, even though the aesthetic reward will be there once they're all on rounds

Trust me, once it's done it feels so much better.

I didn't want to start, but once I did I really got in to it,  felt so refreshing.

5 hours ago, Auticus said:

My opinion.

I have a deep collection of many armies.  Most are on squares obviously.  I am not rebasing a single model because I put a lot of time into the whole model, base included, to just destroy the bases because of some perceived minor advantage.  I didn't sit down in 1998 cackling when I painted my demons going "yesss yessss I can't wait for 2016 where one of you will get to attack more than my opponent...  let the hate...FLOW THROUGH YOU"

The same goes for my old models on 25mm rounds that are now shipped with 32mm rounds.  I'm not rebasing.  Or altering my bases to accomodate 7mm difference that someone who is hyper competitive feels will be "screwed over" because of it, because in my mind that is the most inane thing ever.

Now I have no problem doing any current models on whatever base it comes with.  This is how I've always done things.  But there's 0% chance I'm altering my current models.

If that means I don't get to play in your events that require this, I'll do my best to sleep ok at night.  I will run events where it doesn't matter so long as its obvious you are using what came with the model because I fully understand aint no one got time for that, and we'll both just have to be ok with that.

Your Mileage May Vary.  You want to run squares?  You're welcome to in my events.

This. But this doesn't just apply to old fellas, it applies to new people buying their first army parts used off of eBay.

13 hours ago, Arkiham said:

For the better part of three decades all my bases were Goblin Green, Bilious Green drybrush, add white, drybrush edges, paint the sides Goblin. Done. I had never viewed the bases as part of the model at all. In fact, I found it downright silly to put any kind of decoration on the base. Was that log or skull reallyb moving up the battlefield with the wizard all game long?  Nah,  that's goofy. 

Anyway,  I could easily rebase thousands of old models. 

But. 

Then I sculpted my own scenic bases. Hours per base. Lots of details. No effing way am I ripping up these little art projects.

I don't destroy part of my old hobby creations.  I just make all-new ones! ?

On 9/2/2016 at 11:04 AM, Nico said:

Just an observation - 1 inch reach is wide enough to clear a 25 mm round base if models are touching (which they would be). It does make a marginal difference in another sense as you can pack a few more models into a horizontal line on squares and thus get a few more attacks in some situations.

I'm ambivalent about the wider issue. 

25mm is less than 1"

.98425"

---just realized this is an old necro post

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping the not so old thread. I just really wish the can find a solution to keep the mixed base for a while (even in tournament). We just had a small (17 players) local event in montreal on sunday, and i still can't really see an issue with some unit on square vs round. Top table was 2 tzench (skyfire), 1 ironjawz and 1 sylvaneth (all round based).

The best painted army was a Chaos nurgle, all square based. Fantastic aesthetic, base perfectly matching his display board. 

The TO included a house rule that state that unit with 1'' attack only if they are adjacent to an opposing model, and 2'' reach need to be in base contact with an allied model in contact with an opposing model to negate the small base advantage. But i don't even thing that necessary.

1. Most unit that can benefit from smaller base are often weak battleline unit with a low damage output anyway. Behemoth do not get benefit from it.

2. Also, new repacked army tend to be stronger army than old one (Tzench, bonesplitter, beastclaw, ect.). Squeezing a couple more attack from aelf spearman won't prevent you from being tabled by 18 skyfire in round 2.

3. I repeat, GW is still selling square based model.

Honestly at first i was inclined to say squared > round, but the more i play the more i find it to be irrelevant. Even when measuring base-to-base.

It's kind of nice to not play in tournaments.  I'm simply overjoyed to play at all, I don't care about the bases.   I actually like to keep my bases perfectly black; something appeals to me about the contrast of a fully-painted miniature sitting atop a simple monochromatic base, it really makes 'em *pop.*

On 14/04/2017 at 3:01 AM, Arkiham said:

If you have a full time job and family your hobby time is limited. Having to spend that on the very dull and repetitive process of basing rather than working on new projects is a pain,  especially when it's already been done once. Likewise I costed Rebasing my entire Chaos army using gee dub bases at €400+. I think mdf looks ugly and I'd much rather spend that money on more minis. 

2 hours ago, erasercrumbs said:

It's kind of nice to not play in tournaments.  I'm simply overjoyed to play at all, I don't care about the bases.   I actually like to keep my bases perfectly black; something appeals to me about the contrast of a fully-painted miniature sitting atop a simple monochromatic base, it really makes 'em *pop.*

You'd love transparent bases then. Plain black to me makes the mini look unfinished, no matter the quality of the paintjob.

Something like this:

warhammer_32mm_bases.jpg

On 4/25/2017 at 3:15 PM, broche said:

Bumping the not so old thread. I just really wish the can find a solution to keep the mixed base for a while (even in tournament). We just had a small (17 players) local event in montreal on sunday, and i still can't really see an issue with some unit on square vs round. Top table was 2 tzench (skyfire), 1 ironjawz and 1 sylvaneth (all round based).

The best painted army was a Chaos nurgle, all square based. Fantastic aesthetic, base perfectly matching his display board. 

The TO included a house rule that state that unit with 1'' attack only if they are adjacent to an opposing model, and 2'' reach need to be in base contact with an allied model in contact with an opposing model to negate the small base advantage. But i don't even thing that necessary.

1. Most unit that can benefit from smaller base are often weak battleline unit with a low damage output anyway. Behemoth do not get benefit from it.

2. Also, new repacked army tend to be stronger army than old one (Tzench, bonesplitter, beastclaw, ect.). Squeezing a couple more attack from aelf spearman won't prevent you from being tabled by 18 skyfire in round 2.

3. I repeat, GW is still selling square based model.

Honestly at first i was inclined to say squared > round, but the more i play the more i find it to be irrelevant. Even when measuring base-to-base.

And 25mm Marines, and bikes on squares still show us in 40K GTs and nobody cares (GW even still sells some 40K minis on squares like the Catachan Sniper). Are we really going to be less inclusive of legacy armies than 40K?

That, plus Longstrikes, and Daemon infantry show that GW does not make bases with consistency, but simply to cater to model poses.

And if we are going to dictate bases on some perceived advantage, should we not do the same for models themselves, especially in a game that runs on true los? You can't use the old metal Lord of Change, hes too small. You must buy a new one.

6 hours ago, AGPO said:

If you have a full time job and family your hobby time is limited. Having to spend that on the very dull and repetitive process of basing rather than working on new projects is a pain,  especially when it's already been done once. Likewise I costed Rebasing my entire Chaos army using gee dub bases at €400+. I think mdf looks ugly and I'd much rather spend that money on more minis. 

If you have full-time job and then commute an hour and a half each day (45 minutes each way), that also sucks up your hobby time.  And your family time....  And your dinner time....  And your sleep time....  And gas and car maintenance costs eat into your money, so your hobby budget goes down....  Sigh....

...What were we talking about?

Speaking of Space Marines, I have about 60 to 70 painted up Space Marines, from Tacticals to HQs, all on 25mm rounds.  I keep thinking to myself that I will someday get around to rebasing them, but that day is a ways off.  I would rather add to an army and get more games in than redo something that was (and still is) acceptable.  I have no qualms whatsoever about square bases in Age of Sigmar, ESPECIALLY if playing games measured model-to-model.

2 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

You can't use the old metal Lord of Change, hes too small. You must buy a new one.

Thats not true! One of my friends had one of the old Khorne Bloodthirsters on top of a giant pile of skulls (He did a cardboard pyramid and glued cheap plastic skulls to it) in a base of the same size of the new Bloodthirsters. They have bot the head at the same height :D And it was much more cheaper that buying a new Bloodthirster. He is a Oldhammer dude.

I really like both! However what I do have to say about the subject is that there is a very clear distinctive difference in poses for models that where made for the WFB range and those that where made for the AoS range. As a result I like both square and round bases, but what matters more is how the model will eventually look on it.

In quite some cases I've found myself liking square bases more for a very natural base (as a perfect square is very un-natural) to break the visual form.
On the other side I like round bases for urban settings, factories or generally urban 40K because of the many perfectly square (human made) materials I'll use for such a base.

In the end of it, it's the model that requires the base, there most certainly is a game propperty to bases also but there are also many ways to migate the difference between square bases and round bases. As a rule of tumb you could even say that models on square (smaller, which is often the case) bases need to be .5" away from each other. Which doesn't solve the solution completely but prefents bodging down mini's. 

For Narrative play the difference shouldn't matter. For Competative play I think it's fully possible to include House-rules that state a model should be on such and such base. This was done for WFB in the past aswell. 

Cheers,

What I do is keep the square bases and then put them with bluetac on top of rounds if I play someone who minds that.... the corners of a 20mm square will stick outside the 25mm round, but for base2base contact and ranking up for ranges etc. those corners won't matter. If one bothers the rounds could be sprayed in the same color as the base rims on the square bases...or not 

when gaming vs. THAT dude is done, the rounds come of and they'll still look nice on the shelf/display board etc...

personally I want to rebase my armies to rounds, but that is because I like how they rank up better. I have too many blocks of infantry that are numbered with rank 1,2,3....position 1,2,3 to fit in the movement trays. Some units rally are a hassle to rank up on squares....in tired of jigsaw puzzle units

Archived