Death & the Divine undead previews

Sception

Well at least bar the Apocalypse the Underworlds warband is coming out this year and some of the Warhammer Quest stuff too hopefully.

One thing I joked about earlier but now has actually got me quite torn; do I rebase everything onto rounds now?

I only really play games against my brother and we don't particularly mind if (mostly in my case) most of our models being on squares. I also am reluctant to rebase since The Old World was announced, he however has no interest in going back to that. 

If Soulblight Gravelords get a lot of new kits for battleline and everything else, I'm almost contemplating starting afresh.

If the current skeleton kit remains and Grave Guard/Black Knights remain I'd be less inclined to do so. Love the waiting game lolz.

Morathi’s book is dated in August, if you make a count from 3 month to 3 months it ends like this.

BR1 August-Br2 November (BR1 released)-BR3 February(BR 2 almost sure is going to be released in March, maybe because of 1 month full delay we had in December)-BR4 May. We have enought space to get into 3.0 in summer.

If we are in this case, and ends being 4 books (Morathi, Teclis, Alarielle, Malerion (?) ) with 5 factions with rules in, we end with 20 armies with some new rules.

But, we have 24 armies and CoS is repeated. Yes, ok, that’s fine. But Slaneesh will get a full release, so we are now in 23, and what if destrucion factions get their stuff in the new edition? 19 armies, fits perfect now.

That’s my theory about original schedule, but how it’s going to end because of covid is something I don’t know.

2 minutes ago, KK9T said:

I have no idea how their release schedule works but having new models  in new packaging sitting in a warehouse seems like a good sign that we should see them this year.  Anything can happen, but I’m optimistic. 

Yeah I tend to agree with this. The fact that the leak all but guarantees that the Vamp Lord is in its packaging with the new faction name "Soulblight Gravelords" makes me optimistic. However, it is obvious that COVID has really shifted the release schedule of things. I'm sure GW plans on keeping the order in which they release things the same, but I wonder if they will start to double up on releasing certain products that were not originally planned to be released together. For instance, the new Daughters of Khaine BT reveal was kind of random and they said it will be released the same time as the Slaanesh BT. I realize that Morathi is playing a HUGE part in the Broken Realms so I can see the argument that is why they are getting a new BT, however I just assumed that BR: Morathi was DoK's big thing right now and I personally wasn't expecting a new BT for them. So I wonder if due to COVID they are doubling up on some releases. If 3.0 was originally supposed to be here this summer, they may want certain releases out by or before that time. Alternatively they could just push back 3.0 release as well. We are seeing this on a smaller scale with Warhammer Underworlds, they pushed back the first four warbands a month and then are doing a two warband release in May. Granted this is smaller scale than big AoS stuff but could possibly be a hint at how they may try and "catch up" on releases.

16 hours ago, Sception said:

I would /like/ for destruction to be in the starter box, and to be the main thrust of the 3e narrative.  As for predictions, though, really, the non-stormcast faction could be anything at this point.

Just a shame one of the factions has to be stormcast, though.  There is a such thing as too much attention.  It's bad even for stormcast players, who are expected to effectively completely replace their army every couple years as a big new range of units 'just like the ones you already have only better' comes out.  All the design attention that in other factions might get spent on balancing and bringing up the units that are already there instead get put into new units instead.

Better than being left completely to languish, but still.

I don't think it necessarily 'has' to be Stormcast. We're only two editions in and 2.0 was presumably underdevelopment at a time they were still trying to make Stormcast as prominent and popular as the Space Marines are. In the time since 1.0 they seemed to drop that attitude and shy away from treating AoS as Stormcast + Friends + Enemies the way 40k is Space Marines + Friends + Enemies.

With that being said, Stormcast are still the 'face' of AoS, different to how WHFB didn't really have one and although they don't dominate the lore and releases, they're still used very prominent for promotional material which suggests to me they'll bank on Lil Timmy recognising them and grabbing a starter box based off that more than say... Freeguild vs Ironjawz might.

If somebody told me 40k's 10th starter set would be Eldar vs Orks I'd laugh in their face, but if somebody told me 3.0's starter was Sylvaneth vs Ossiarchs I'd be very, very, doubtful of it but I wouldn't think it an impossibility.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Not to get hyped or anything but... Lord of the Mortal Realms? Gravelords??

Getting hyped is fine. I'm REALLY pumped for the Gravelords, lol! But I'll hold my expectations for the upcoming review on a tight leash. Could be a bunch of Lumineth stuff and just a shilouette for the Gravelords or something dumb like that. 

For the time being I am actually quite content if we get to see more from the Cursed City stuff!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Causalis said:

Could be a bunch of Lumineth stuff and just a shilouette for the Gravelords or something dumb like that. 

Pretty much exactly what I'm expecting.

The lineup's probably thin on the ground if it's just Lumineth and Gravelords though. If Cursed City is closer to what Overkill was for Deathwatch/GSC (IE the models are literally monopose versions of generic units in the codexes/battletomes) I could see them showing more of that off.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

I actually do expect we'll see the official Gravelords announcement.  The 'lords' in the title is too on the nose for me.  Maybe I'm wrong, and if not I won't be too disappointed since it looks like we'll be seeing a fair bit more Cursed City stuff - all three of the silhouettes on the preview look to be cursed city models, so no matter what else I'll be busy updating the Cursed City preview thread.  Maybe I'll have the energy for a separate 'Lord of the Realms' preview thread, I don't know.  The last one was fun.

We also might see the OBR warband coming for underworlds, which would be cool.

On top of everything else, the white dwarf should be out this weekend, with expanded anvil of Apotheosis rules for FEC and OBR, some narrative battleplans for a some battles between the two, and maybe some additional FEC formations.  That'll be cool, as well as being a more prominant example than we've seen elsewhere for inter-death alliance conflicts, which lends some credence to the idea that the Broken Realms campaigns may be setting up for a 3rd edition of 40k that doesn't have grand alliances as we've known them so far.  If that's the case, I may have to eat my hat on the whole 'anti-nagash' undead thing.  Which I wouldn't like, but I know some would, and it would certainly be an interesting development.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 4:29 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

Pretty much exactly what I'm expecting.

The lineup's probably thin on the ground if it's just Lumineth and Gravelords though. If Cursed City is closer to what Overkill was for Deathwatch/GSC (IE the models are literally monopose versions of generic units in the codexes/battletomes) I could see them showing more of that off.

If Gravelords get confirmed, I think we will see at least one model. Although it could be one we have already seen, like the axe zombie or new vampire lord.

13 hours ago, Sception said:

I actually do expect we'll see the official Gravelords announcement.  The 'lords' in the title is too on the nose for me.  Maybe I'm wrong, and if not I won't be too disappointed since it looks like we'll be seeing a fair bit more Cursed City stuff - all three of the silhouettes on the preview look to be cursed city models, so no matter what else I'll be busy updating the Cursed City preview thread.  Maybe I'll have the energy for a separate 'Lord of the Realms' preview thread, I don't know.  The last one was fun.

We also might see the OBR warband coming for underworlds, which would be cool.

On top of everything else, the white dwarf should be out this weekend, with expanded anvil of Apotheosis rules for FEC and OBR, some narrative battleplans for a some battles between the two, and maybe some additional FEC formations.  That'll be cool, as well as being a more prominant example than we've seen elsewhere for inter-death alliance conflicts, which lends some credence to the idea that the Broken Realms campaigns may be setting up for a 3rd edition of 40k that doesn't have grand alliances as we've known them so far.  If that's the case, I may have to eat my hat on the whole 'anti-nagash' undead thing.  Which I wouldn't like, but I know some would, and it would certainly be an interesting development.

A lord of the realms preview thread would be cool!

Also I am excited to see those expanded AoA rules, I am super stoked that it looks like they'll be continuing to support it!

16 hours ago, Sception said:

On top of everything else, the white dwarf should be out this weekend, with expanded anvil of Apotheosis rules for FEC and OBR, some narrative battleplans for a some battles between the two, and maybe some additional FEC formations.  That'll be cool

I subscribe so got mine already. Haven't read the fluff yet but there's no formations but lots of pages of new Death stuff, including Anvil and whatnot. 

• Like 1