Why are so many players hostile?

Shadowcortax

21 hours ago, Popisdead said:

.  Cause they can find unique combos and rules people can often miss that more causal players can learn from.  

Really?

I haven’t met a single only for the win player who made a winning list by themself.

They usually seem to be waiting for a guy who played that army for years, who then finds and uses a pretty good list

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

My favorite is when someone tilts when losing to you because they KNOW that they're vastly more intelligent than you, but the dice bear out this terrible injustice upon their ego. I like a little salt with my sweet tear tea.

Every opponent when I roll that 12 on the damage of a single Doom rocket!!

or when my favorite Doomwheel

drive-races 48inches to the other end

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Every opponent when I roll that 12 on the damage of a single Doom rocket!!

or when my favorite Doomwheel

drive-races 48inches to the other end

The beautiful moment as your opponent realizes he has a big enough hole in his rear that I can shove my ironclad through.

More or less echoing (and agreeing with what a lot of other people here have been saying), but there's a good amount of people out there that have a defeatist attitude, which drastically lowers their chance of winning, making them even more upset. On and on it goes. Its a form of long-term tilting.

Added to that, I find that far too many players (on both sides of the positivity scale) tend to view stat profiles/damage output/combos as the deciding factor in what wins a game. That's a kind of thinking that interacts poorly with defeatist attitudes and "my faction is weaker than.." kind of thinking. 

Any faction in the game, with a very small list of exceptions, can beat any other faction in the game, provided there's a semblance of plan thrown into the listbuilding, and the deployment/movement phase being executed properly. Thats it. 

There's plenty of doomsayers. My advice would be to ignore them completely. I don't tend to, but that's just me ;)

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Mayple said:

can beat any other faction in the game, provided there's a semblance of plan thrown into the listbuilding, and the deployment/movement phase being executed properly. Thats it. 

Yes planning our steps and choosing the right list is always the correct response to stronger looking armies.

Just have a look at my 3Doomwheels list, that on their own killed a Nagash 

All part of the plan.😁

definitely no lucky

rolls.

that 40 inch movement was all skills😂

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Haha 1

I'm a guy who got into the hobby because my friends love the game and showed it to me. They knew me well enough to show me an army that fit in my aesthetics perfectly and I fell in love with it instantly. My friends are the type of players who play for the love of the game, who love to toss ultra-competitive lists at each other and muse we could go 3/2 (at least) in tournaments, throw together fluffly lists just for a what-if, play narrative games to relive lore moments, craft our own narratives, and play stupid stupid lists that violate all sorts of rules, all just to have fun. These are the players you want to surround yourself with. Players who love to play and don't care about win records or the best builds.

I'm also a guy who has felt that pain that comes after putting a considerable amount of time and monetary investment into an army, who became attached to it, and the got sidelined, tabled, ridiculed, and told I was wrong for wanting to play it.

My army is Nighthaunt. And I have been laughed at for telling others I love them. And I mean literally laughed at. It's become a sort of a meme or unspoken rule among the greater AoS collective that you can love the way Nighthaunt models look, but you can't love to play them. They are only there to paint and look pretty or hold up as a shining example of power creep or some other GW failing. And it gets frustrating. It narrows down your potential playing group encountering people like this. And it drains you when you have to constantly fight against it and tell yourself to stay positive. And what's worse? When you do well and they have to tear you down for it.

But ultimately the choice is yours who you play with. You can simply choose to not play with the negative players, even if they are your friends. You might change their attitude, too,  if they see you always playing with positive players and having fun. Ultimately that's what I did, I just stuck to playing with people who made every game a laughing roaring good time. And win or lose we'd BS over the highlights, the things we did well and our screwups.

Oh, and take breaks. When things get to you it's okay to step away for a bit and regroup. Give it time and grow your personal playerbase.

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, EnixLHQ said:

I'm a guy who got into the hobby because my friends love the game and showed it to me. They knew me well enough to show me an army that fit in my aesthetics perfectly and I fell in love with it instantly. My friends are the type of players who play for the love of the game, who love to toss ultra-competitive lists at each other and muse we could go 3/2 (at least) in tournaments, throw together fluffly lists just for a what-if, play narrative games to relive lore moments, craft our own narratives, and play stupid stupid lists that violate all sorts of rules, all just to have fun. These are the players you want to surround yourself with. Players who love to play and don't care about win records or the best builds.

I'm also a guy who has felt that pain that comes after putting a considerable amount of time and monetary investment into an army, who became attached to it, and the got sidelined, tabled, ridiculed, and told I was wrong for wanting to play it.

My army is Nighthaunt. And I have been laughed at for telling others I love them. And I mean literally laughed at. It's become a sort of a meme or unspoken rule among the greater AoS collective that you can love the way Nighthaunt models look, but you can't love to play them. They are only there to paint and look pretty or hold up as a shining example of power creep or some other GW failing. And it gets frustrating. It narrows down your potential playing group encountering people like this. And it drains you when you have to constantly fight against it and tell yourself to stay positive. And what's worse? When you do well and they have to tear you down for it.

But ultimately the choice is yours who you play with. You can simply choose to not play with the negative players, even if they are your friends. You might change their attitude, too,  if they see you always playing with positive players and having fun. Ultimately that's what I did, I just stuck to playing with people who made every game a laughing roaring good time. And win or lose we'd BS over the highlights, the things we did well and our screwups.

Oh, and take breaks. When things get to you it's okay to step away for a bit and regroup. Give it time and grow your personal playerbase.

This is the same kind of thing I came across with my Nighthaunt and Ossiarch Bonereapers, hence the reason I started this thread.  I try to do so, but sometimes people can be..... people?

I felt like I needed to contribute.

I stepped out of AoS because I noticed myself getting into a negative mood whenever rules were discussed.

Honestly? I don't think GW is good at making them. Base AoS is good (the 6 pages), but battletomes and supplements just overcomplicate things, not always with noticable positive effect. They are not worded very well, and not balanced very well. Like psionics in D&D.

They often manage to capture a certain feel, but it's quite evident that, if you're later in a cycle, you suck early on, and then other factions match up badly.

AoS turns out to be rather benevolent in GW land, by the way. I recently purchased the Necromunda rulebook, and found out it is basically expensive toilet paper until you buy more books (you need the price of 3.5 times the plastic of your gangs in paper at the moment). 40k does a similar thing, and I'll never start that as a result.

Yep, that’s also a problem, if you’re not playing in an isolated group, it’s impossible to change anything, make house rules, ignore FAQs or to leave addons completely out of your games. Another constraint over which the single player has no control, and where fuming on the internet is basically the only possible action one can take.

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 1

Its the internet - People are generally very negative or at least have a very firm idea of what they believe in. I feel like its very hard to make people change their mind even if you come up with compelling arguements. It also depends on where you look - There are very dedicated faction facebook groups where as the general AoS facebook group is kinda ******. Twitter from my experience is a lot more positive. 

From my experience a lot of people would rather whine that X is OP and needs to be nerfed instead of sitting back and thinking that maybe they didnt play that game the most optimal way, or maybe they can optimize their army, or they could have played better etc. It seems to me that many people arent interested in becoming better, and instead they believe they should be able to play however they want and if they lose, the game is obviously ****** because they play flawlessly every time.

As @zilberfrid mentioned, the rules also cause a bit of a buzz from my experience. The rules are often times not at all clear and sometimes you need to read every little word multiple times and people understand things differently, especially people that arent from the UK/US and might not be flawless at english grammar. Some people insist on twisting and turning every little sentence to their advantage too. Creates awful situations at times when nobody really knows the "correct" answer but have an idea that interpretation is correct.

You also have the obvious keyboard warriors that dont really know what they are talking about. They might not even play the game regularly but they read something, somewhere about X faction, hence that must be the truth and they will preach the same thing. 

Edited by Kasper

14 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

I've only seen one game with that faction and they won!

I think all factions can win if you know how to play them and have a good strategy and that the dice God blesses you!

I think it comes down to a sort of mob mentality. Like high school cliques or the popular clubs. Either you're in or your're not. And when you're not it's easy to look down at you.

It certainly takes more energy to see someone new, or who plays differently than you, and openly accept them and play with them. Games take longer and the player often needs assistance, at least for the newer ones, and it requires the other player(s) to change their mental gears back and forth. You're also taking a risk; that player may end up socially different or incompatible to you. It's so much easier to stay with your in-crowd and shun/spurn anyone who doesn't make the effort to get on your level. And that makes it easier to see anyone who brings a perceived advantage to the table as unworthy, because they haven't earned it or don't deserve it.

Not only that, but that sense of belonging and collective outsider shaming is an addictive high. A well-documented one.

It takes really strong people to stand up to that and try to make the gaming experience great for everyone. And that makes everyone here doing that for themselves and others really great people.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1