Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

4 minutes ago, Allonairre said:

While I am asking dumb questions, on a Bale wind vortex is the range of protection of Hysh increased by 6? Currently I find it a bit frustrating as wholly within 9” is very short, sometimes I wonder if a unit of 30 could even cast the spell on itself. 

Yes! It becomes 15 inches! 🙂 

This is old news, but I’m just looking through the unit rules again as I try to re-familiarise myself with the Lumineth before the new units come out, and I have to say I’m still a little confused as to why Eltharion isn’t a Wizard. I understand from a balance point of view he’d be a little nuts haha, but from my understanding he was a wizard in his old form right? I guess after his soul was reformed he couldn’t do it anymore, or didn’t want to. 

13 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

This is old news, but I’m just looking through the unit rules again as I try to re-familiarise myself with the Lumineth before the new units come out, and I have to say I’m still a little confused as to why Eltharion isn’t a Wizard. I understand from a balance point of view he’d be a little nuts haha, but from my understanding he was a wizard in his old form right? I guess after his soul was reformed he couldn’t do it anymore, or didn’t want to. 

That’s a bit murky because technically only the Talisman of Hoeth gave him the ability to cast spells. They changed his lore several times, so he might actually have been a mage too at some point, but at least in the later editions it’s the Talisman which made him a Wizard, as far as I know.

I’d love him to be able to cast though. Because he always was able to do it, he feels a bit incomplete without it. But yeah - probably balance is the actual reason why he can’t. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

That’s a bit murky because technically only the Talisman of Hoeth gave him the ability to cast spells. They changed his lore several times, so he might actually have been a mage too at some point, but at least in the later editions it’s the Talisman which made him a Wizard, as far as I know.

That is correct! He was never a mage on his own in any of his incarnations throughout the years.. always with the use of his talisman and at some point he didn't even have that (his blind swordmaster version). So fluff-wise it is the way it always was..

It would be nice to be a wizard but if I'm honest I would prefer a couple of wounds more on his profile to make him more viable as he dies very quickly from mortal wounds.. 😝

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Where are your archers to cover your wall of shields!

It does sound like you made a couple of mistakes which would’ve changed things quite a bit. 3+ saves instead of ethereal, Protection of Hysh as well might’ve been handy against such a killy opponent. 
Also I HATE random turn rolls, me and my group houserule it out because it’s been more of a detriment than fun in our experience. So I can understand why that hurt you quite badly, but I also understand a lot of people aren’t lucky enough to be able to houserule it out.

I’d be interested to see how you go in another game. 

I only could afford 1 squad at 1000pts! My list is as follows:

-Eltharion (did very well, though I had some bad luck with his saves)
-General Cathallar w/ Gift of Celennar, Fast learner, Eclipse (never was able to cast) and Ethereal blessing (didn’t get to use)
-20 wardens w/ Ethereal blessing (got wiped on the double turn down to 2 guys, but the casualties managed to kill the sisters in return with the cathallar’s ability so yay?)
-10 wardens w/ Protection of Hysh (did a hail-Mary charge on a chariot w/ an awakened statue of Khaine and forgot to use aether quarts again. Come to think of it this would have been the best target for  the darkness of the soul ability and archers)
-10 sentinels  w/ speed of Hysh (I was nice w/ this unit and didn’t hero snipe turn 1, which probably lost me the game)
-5 Dawn riders w/ Lambient light (I moved them way too far forward and forgot to charge them because of Game rust, admittingly, which would have helped later on with the hordes of sisters)

I agree the random turn order sucks Ork balls, but I play to prepare for tournies so I gotta think about it. IT happens, but Until they get rid of it may as well use it, right?

8 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Horde breaking? Do you mean the Crystal Touch of the Blood Sisters? Just a quick heads-up, its one dice per Melusai, not per model in the target unit. So its better against smaller units. 

If you played it like this, forget that I said anything. But thats a common mistake with abilities like this.

Nah, I meant the Medusa thing and was confused. The Medusa hits everybody in a unit within 12”, which my opponent didn’t tell me about till it happened. Killed 8 even before the big fight, so next time I think I will have protection of Hysh on the Cathallar as a “Just in case” ability.

6 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

@Acid_Nine Don’t worry, there is really a lot to remember with the Lumineth, AoSReminder is a godsend when playing them. And even using that tool, my head was spinning the first few times playing them. And all that thinking about their abilities and what to do can lead to making general strategic/tactical misses. 

I’d recommend playing Syar when you start out with them. This lets you get used to Aetherquartz fast, and 2 AQ are super useful in itself. You also can experiment with the extra spell and other AQ abilities more, and not just use them for better saves. 

Your Warden are great, but they still have only one wound, especially if you don’t have Protection of Hysh/Teclis, they still can die fast. But also make sure to remember the better stats when they are attacked and your mortal wound ability. This alone can make sure that your opponent has to roll for batteshock which you then can make really hurt. 

Also, make sure to not forget Darkness of the Soul, the Warscrolls spell of the Cathallar. This is such a good spell against threats like a nice block of 20 Witch Aelves for example. Choosing and using your spells correctly is also really important for a Vanari-focused army. 

@Allonairre The Lore of Wind/Hurakan could potentially have a teleport spell which normally lets you re-set up your units, which would mean you could put them back into a Shining Company. Not super likely, but not impossible. As a command ability, yup, the Bannerblade or the Lord Regent would be the logical choices for something like that. 

I need to get the AOS Reminder printed, yea! I like Zaitrec so I wanna continue pushing to play them, but I will take Syar under consideration. Darkness of the soul is bloody great and I wish I was in range T1 for it! I did take turn 1 so I could get my buffs off before the enemy shot me to hell, which may have also lost me the game because I was too aggressive with my movements. I think I may continue to do 1,000 points just to get more experience, and switch up the lists a little.

but yea... despite the lost, I want MORE

8 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

So quick question, is it possible to pose the pikes on the Wardens aiming higher up, to have a more realistic pike formation? 

Yes, I’ve seen some people doing that, for example Phil Kelly. I don’t exactly how though, as I didn’t do it myself. 

26007361-FB28-4579-B4F2-5BAECC22575B.jpeg

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yep mine’s around the same now I’m going all in with a full army. Gotta love AU prices -_-

Depending on the status of the new units and army options I may still need 20 more wardens and sentinels.... 

(I may have gotten distracted and purchased and built 2k plus of DoK after LRL launched...)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ragest said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/23/find-out-what-makes-the-hurakan-faster-than-a-speeding-arrow/

The new set of rules are wonderful. Pure tactical, not broken or NPE rules, not making mortals, not killing anyone, just there for good players that can use topns of options.

That's the way

You will be surprised what people can find NPE. But, my mind palace has already come up with some static plays you can run on people. 

Just now, whispersofblood said:

You will be surprised what people can find NPE. But, my mind palace has already come up with some static plays you can run on people. 

Yes, i had some discussion yesterday about getting a CP 2+ was NPE, same as having JUST 1 attack 2+/2+

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragest said:

Yes, i had some discussion yesterday about getting a CP 2+ was NPE, same as having JUST 1 attack 2+/2+

Some people either don't really play the game or are not good at all at playing the game..

That is the only explanation I can find regarding the comments I see sometimes in the facebook posts or in this forum.. And I try my best not to get angry at those people as they are driven by ignorance... still they poison the well and create false and negative sentiments regarding certain units and armies..

That said I must say I'm SO MUCH excited for these rules.. It may some that I'll self the mountain part of the army because of this but these kind of rules are just what I want for playstyle.. Fast, fragile and strategy in the movement phase! This is going to be an awesome army with great choices! The hype train has left the station!!! 🤩

• Like 6

I’m mad keen to hear about the Vanari side of things. I’m so keen on the Bladelords and Ballistas, I hope they talk about one/both of them tomorrow! And these fast wind bros seem like an incredibly welcome addition to the army, being fast units to harass or help grab objectives.

High elves for the win!

9 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

People are going crazy over the rules, but they seem to forget this stuff is only for Hakuran. You're not going to see Bladelords or Dawnriders flying 16" into anything.

And they think you can pile in even if you didn't charge, and people think hurakans can go away like skinks... And suddenly hurakans will be NPE.

Edited by Ragest
  • Like 1

People throw around the term NPE a little too liberally. I know I’ve mentioned a couple of Lumineth abilities, and their output of mortal wounds, potentially being NPE, but to say these wind bro rules are is a little dumb. They seem fun and tactical to me, giving some options to probably quite squishy units. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 7:55 AM, SirSalabean said:

Right do I double down on wind temple and get two lots or get one of each wind temple and earth temple models? This is on top of one of each new model and two lots of blademasters 

Oh man... THIS is a great question... I mean... not to go broke or anything, but dang it, I'm leaning towards one of each and 2x Bladelords.  Definitely 2x blade lords.  I so want to have them  with LoE and get some slice n dice going on.

But then again, to focus on the Wind Temple is very tempting!  And less $$.  I guess it's a good problem to have?  So, if one was to go Go with the Wind, you'd get what?  The Hurakan, Wind Mage, Wind Spirit, and all the heroes? :P (and Bladelords, cause blade lords!!)

Now, HEALING?!?!  Just wow.  Now, How does healing work in AoS?  Am I to read that as: heal wounds on a Hero (ie single model) , or regain models in a troop?  Or only heal at the end of a combat?  But since it's a spell, you can only cast it during the Hero phase yes?  

And being a new player to AoS/Lumineth, what's NPE?

• Like 1