Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

I suppose the Lumineth don't know everything that goes on in Hysh... They missed the Cypher Lords, for once.

One thing that bothers me a little about the Lumineth is that bit about them razing whole towns and killing innocents for the greater good. Why can't they simply be awesome and heroic elves... *small sigh*

Oh, and GW could've given them better "civilian" clothes. Out of their armour, they look like they are wearing jumpsuit ;)

Overall, though - they are pretty great, yes.

GW makes a point of ensuring that no faction is squeaky clean (and in fact usually has a darker streak), that way every player can feel like the hero in their own story. To that end, no faction is ever perfect.

Arrogance and a sense of superiority is an inherent failing of the Aelves, but it's important to note that just because many of the Lumineth are comfortable with razing villages and killing civilians in the name of defeating Chaos, this doesn't mean it's a universally accepted practice.  Even if the Lumineth as a whole aren't awesome and heroic, that doesn't mean your army can't be. Indeed, that's as good an explanation as any for why they might end up fighting against their own people, should the occasion arise.

I agree that the jumpsuits are a bit . . . odd? That said, there's nothing to prove that those are actually the garb worn by civilians. Most of the battletome art shows the Lumineth in robes and other classic "elegant medieval" forms of dress. It could be a style of garb exclusive to their martial traditions.

Then again, maybe the Lumineth invented the track suit. Speed is a thing in Hysh, after all.

13 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

And looks like our weather report for this week will be true - More Lumineth incoming this Sunday (announcement for pre-order next Saturday):

2122288805_ScreenShot2021-03-19at10_08_03.png.67a538f3ce8ae8237e653bf2ef475df5.png

They just took off all the Battletomes from their website: 

711121642_ScreenShot2021-03-19at10_07_10.png.bf404abf98a66b0903400893d8b46302.png

Not 100% guaranteed of course, but it really looks like we do not have to wait much longer until things are moving. 

Oh heavens, I don't want to get hopeful, but I'm thinking you might be on to something there!

Edited by OkayestDM
  • Like 4

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really hope our terrain is super niche/weak.

So that your not punished for not taking it every game. It's a beautiful model, I just cannot stand the thought of having to lug it around to every game, or miss out on powerful rules, and that doesn't even touch on the idea that auto include faction terrain makes every game table look sort of similar. I like my tables to be diverse.

Lumineth don't need another super strong buff piece of any kind, especially one that costs no points. 

So yeah, bring on reroll 1's to cast within 6" or +1 bravery or something. Useful, but not reliable, or overly powerful.

Edited by Athrawes
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 2:59 PM, ArchaicArc said:

Wow. Yikes. Jesus, what a compliment! Thank you SO much!

ok, the recipe for the armor is actually not that hard to,do at all, but an airbrush makes it a lot easier. First prime the model black, and then basically réprime it green (I use molotow green). Then spray on the gold in zenithals, I used three shades of scale 75, going from necro gold all the way up to citrine. Just make sure that the original colour is still poking out in the recesses. And then your basically done! I do a very basic edge highlight of the shoulders, helmet and shield with citrine, and then a spot highlight of silver on some random corners. To finish I take some cheap oil paint, mix it with white spirit and then use it to line the recesses.

Thanks again for the huge compliment!

Hey credit where credit is due. Lumineth had been on my radar for awhile now, I’ve been wanting to do a “frost elves” theme ever since the cities of sigmar book came out  with phoenix guard and frost Phoenix featuring heavily. I’ve been interested in this theme again ever since the model range got released but most Lumineth schemes seem to focus on warm sun related colors and terrain and that wasn’t what I was going for. I’d never seen someone nail that cold atmosphere with the lumineth until your post.

I have an airbrush and am familiar with molotow and think very highly of their paints, to the the extent I’ve started exclusively using them for my airbrush primers. I think I will experiment with the green primer now that you’ve mentioned this, I’d never considered using green.  Up until now I’d only been using black or occasionally purple (great for models with a lot of skin, I love their purple). I haven’t used many greens in my paint schemes yet so that will be interesting. 

I feel like we are both at a very similar place in our airbrush learning experience because I think I understand exactly how you got the effect that you did with the airbrush now that you explained it, I recognized all the terms you used so you didn’t lose me. I’ve mostly been using vallejo metal color and valejo liquid silver/gold for my metallics since so far they are the best metallics I’d used. The info about scale 75 is a huge help to me, I had been trying to find another similarly good metallic range that had more variations in metal tones. Vallejo are  great at achieving beautiful traditional gold/copper/silver by mixing them with eachother but I had been encountering issues mixing non traditional metallic colors like green gold or blue silver by trying to add colored inks to them without ruining the metal finish. Mixing my own regular non metallic colors was easy and fun and usually I prefer to do this, but the metallics I had trouble with because it was impossible for me to get the specific metal colors I wanted after trying several different methods. 

You’ve sold me on buying some scale 75 to play with in the airbrush. Just by looking at your models it is obvious those metal paints look excellent. It looks like they have a wide range of color variation to them as well, so I thank you for setting me on the path to fiddling with that paint range for hours and hours haha.

Anyhow, thank you for the information, it was very useful to me and opened up some doors for me when it comes to getting more varied and interesting metallic colors. I’m always interested in hearing about knowledge, products, and tricks good painters layer to get great results. And it was pretty cool to see someone nail a cold/frost lumineth scheme so I could have proof it can be done and look wonderful! 

Two questions going forward since I am still in the process of learning new “advanced” panting techniques. I’m familiar with using diluted mineral spirits to make my own oil washes as you mentioned, as I am currently in the process of practicing this on my current ironjawz project ever since I learned of this method a few months back. It is a game changer. Right now I only have black, umber, and magenta. Did you use black/umber, or some other oil color? I’m still learning how to incorporate more colors in my oil washes.

Second question is I am curious how you got your skin colors. Skin is of course very difficult and time consuming to blend, so you often have to zenethal models with a lot of skin the skin tones at the beginning of the painting process. I’ve done things like ironjawz Brutes where it was necessary for me to zenethol the entire model the skin tones first then have to go in by hand and apply all the metals. 

Lumineth don’t have much skin showing so it appears you were safe to zenethal the entire model those nice scale 75 paints, yes? That would have left some of their skin metallic, and you’d have needed an opaque skin tone with a lot of covering power to go over the places where skin is showing. Is this correct? What paint did you use for the skin and cloth that effectively covered the metal zenethal you started with, if that is how you achieved your scheme? If I wanted to do a similar zenethal with metal colors of my own I would be very nervous about the paints I currently use not having the covering power to not bleed through a bit of metal if I wasn’t careful. I’ve never trued but I’d like to at some point. What paints did you use on the skin and robes/non metal areas?

Edited by setr
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Athrawes said:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really hope our terrain is super niche/weak.

So that your not punished for not taking it every game. It's a beautiful model, I just cannot stand the thought of having to lug it around to every game, or miss out on powerful rules, and that doesn't even touch on the idea that auto include faction terrain makes every game table look sort of similar. I like my tables to be diverse.

Lumineth don't need another super strong buff piece of any kind, especially one that costs no points. 

So yeah, bring on reroll 1's to cast within 6" or +1 bravery or something. Useful, but not reliable, or overly powerful.

Honestly, I'd be fine with that. Maybe even something like the Bonetithe Nexus abilities. Nice enough if you get them, but not game-changing or awe inspiring.

That said, I'm getting 2, just because they look awesome and I want to use them as regular terrain pieces.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

They aren't raising whole towns - just parts of them : ). They are pretty much normal High Elves who always had this - who cares about some human collateral damage? They die like flies anyway attitude - which partly makes sense for a long-lived species like them. If the BR Teclis hints we have seen so far are correct, you'll see more of their heroic side in the next book. But yeah, they are not just pure good, heroic elves. Warhammer generally doesn't do that, and Warhammer HE specifically always amp up their "we are the best" attitude. And Hysh also leans into that. You can always have your guys or nation be like that though. You can see for example in the book that the Zaitreci aelves have a more lenient/nice attitude against other magic users. 

The Cypher Lords likely are from Xintil which, at least until recently and maybe still largely is, under human control. 

______

And looks like our weather report for this week will be true - More Lumineth incoming this Sunday (announcement for pre-order next Saturday):

2122288805_ScreenShot2021-03-19at10_08_03.png.67a538f3ce8ae8237e653bf2ef475df5.png

That weather forecast is... so cute :)

Anyway - razing parts of towns is one thing, but killing innocents while doing so is... meh. But yeah, I know - no squeaky clean factions and all that :) It's just that a bit hard to identify with a faction that does that.

Regarding Xintil - you know, one thing I'd actually very gladly pay for would be some sort of "Guide to the Mortal Realms" kind of book. A book that would give more details on what exactly all these places look like, who control which parts etc. So far, we're getting snippets... Not saying GW should define *everything* about the Realms, but a more in-depth description (and more art!) would be nice.

Oh, and chronology with some more specific dates. I'm still puzzling over how long the Age of Myth and Age of Chaos were, how much time has passed since Sigmar unleashed the Stormcasts etc. All of this makes the Realms a bit... vague for me.

22 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

GW makes a point of ensuring that no faction is squeaky clean (and in fact usually has a darker streak), that way every player can feel like the hero in their own story. To that end, no faction is ever perfect.

Arrogance and a sense of superiority is an inherent failing of the Aelves, but it's important to note that just because many of the Lumineth are comfortable with razing villages and killing civilians in the name of defeating Chaos, this doesn't mean it's a universally accepted practice.  Even if the Lumineth as a whole aren't awesome and heroic, that doesn't mean your army can't be. Indeed, that's as good an explanation as any for why they might end up fighting against their own people, should the occasion arise.

I agree that the jumpsuits are a bit . . . odd? That said, there's nothing to prove that those are actually the garb worn by civilians. Most of the battletome art shows the Lumineth in robes and other classic "elegant medieval" forms of dress. It could be a style of garb exclusive to their martial traditions.

Then again, maybe the Lumineth invented the track suit. Speed is a thing in Hysh, after all.

Hmmm. I'm looking at the art in the battletome and I see no aelves in civilian garb...

And - I know, I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to this stuff - I'd really prefer if the battletome said: "There are these eight Great Nations that are most influential, but there are few others. Feel free to fill in the blanks and use the rules from the main Nations for your own creation". Without such a byline, I'd feel like I was doing something illegal (rules-wise) when coming with a Nation of my own...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

That weather forecast is... so cute :)

Anyway - razing parts of towns is one thing, but killing innocents while doing so is... meh. But yeah, I know - no squeaky clean factions and all that :) It's just that a bit hard to identify with a faction that does that.

Regarding Xintil - you know, one thing I'd actually very gladly pay for would be some sort of "Guide to the Mortal Realms" kind of book. A book that would give more details on what exactly all these places look like, who control which parts etc. So far, we're getting snippets... Not saying GW should define *everything* about the Realms, but a more in-depth description (and more art!) would be nice.

Oh, and chronology with some more specific dates. I'm still puzzling over how long the Age of Myth and Age of Chaos were, how much time has passed since Sigmar unleashed the Stormcasts etc. All of this makes the Realms a bit... vague for me.

Hmmm. I'm looking at the art in the battletome and I see no aelves in civilian garb...

And - I know, I'm a bit pedantic when it comes to this stuff - I'd really prefer if the battletome said: "There are these eight Great Nations that are most influential, but there are few others. Feel free to fill in the blanks and use the rules from the main Nations for your own creation". Without such a byline, I'd feel like I was doing something illegal (rules-wise) when coming with a Nation of my own...

The “parts” thing was meant to be a joke, I know what you mean. : ). On the other hand, in this example the Lumineth saved the whole town and population from being killed by demons. They just think that closing the gate and thereby denying further demonic invasions is worth the sacrifice of apart of the town and population. Not saying it’s good or something to identify with, but you can make an argument from their POV. You definitely don’t make any friends that way though. : ) 

Agreed,  we sadly still have very few information about large parts of the realms. They are slowly adding more details, and we might see a bit more of Xintil in BR Teclis, with likely Settler’s Gain Yllurai Xhen being part of the story. But because the setting is so big, they can only touch so much of each of the realms. I’d 100% buy a “Guide to the Mortal Realms”. Hopefully, we see something like that in the future! 

The setting is kept in vague on purpose, I don’t think they’ll totally change that because of the creative freedom it provides them. But we’ll see more and more details if the setting stays popular. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

Hell yeah they did, they also seemed to imply the new range is also going up too, but I’m just going to expect the BR book and not get too hopeful haha. But at least we can see the stats and fluff of the new units :D

Would be a shame if Lumineth weren’t up for pre order in Lumineth month next to Lumineth focused broken realms. 

I think it will be a big summer blooooooowww out for Lumineth. Based on the Hedonites release that weekend was big with all the Hedonites and daughters stuff. Expect big! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

Would be a shame if Lumineth weren’t up for pre order in Lumineth month next to Lumineth focused broken realms. 

I think it will be a big summer blooooooowww out for Lumineth. Based on the Hedonites release that weekend was big with all the Hedonites and daughters stuff. Expect big! 

Just in time for the tax returns, and it's also payday next week. I'm ready! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremierty said:

Hi everyone ! As I had to change place during lockdown I don't have the assembly manual for the dawnriders :/ could someone send it to me ? That would be awesome ! 

Hi do you still need them? I can take some photos of mine if you want I haven’t built them yet

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

Hi do you still need them? I can take some photos of mine if you want I haven’t built them yet

Hi, I also asked on a lumineth Facebook group and someone already posted the instructions pics but thank you so much for offering !! 

@Acid_Nine, yep me too!

I’m real keen to read some articles about the new stuff.

Interesting they mentioned allegiance abilities, I’m curious if the Ymetrican rule will be changing to accomodate it’s strong focus on stone bros, compared to the new units they’re bringing.

Also, Bladelords seem to be able to either do less, more quality attacks against more elite targets, or more, less damaging attacks vs hordes. And also seem to act as bodyguards, maybe helping our squishy casters live a bit longer.

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 3

It's interesting that the Twins can ally into any order faction.  I wonder how, or if, they will interact with other factions, most noticeably CoS from my perspective.  Also sounds like the Wind spirit and mage both have teleporting capability, presumably only for themselves though.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 3

As much as I like the kangaroos, I have trouble thinking more than one box is needed.  Lots of shooting options in the army.

With all the new options, if they are decent at all, I can see a core of 20x pikes/10x archers x2, or maybe one at 10x/10x being standard.  The biggest impact on this will probably be the damage output of Bladelords.