Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

27 minutes ago, Ragest said:

You think the blademasters are going to have a mage? Both mages in Sentinels and Wardes are well differentiated from the rest of the unit, but there we just see a guy with two weapons of the same.

These guys feel like they are to Teclis, what dawnriders might be to Tyrion. Elite Vanari, and while you’re right the sentinels and wardens have a distinct difference between wizard and unit miniature, dawnriders don’t.

so yes, I imagine the vanari blade lords will be wizards in a similar vein to Dawnriders. 

And while the old swordmasters weren’t wizards, in an army overflowing with wizards, it would be weird if the elite unit in service to the mage god weren’t wizards like everyone else.

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to find out if the Bladelords' champion is a wizard or not.  If, as it seems, Teclis has hearkened back to earlier times, then perhaps they will fulfill their old role of protectors of wizards and scholars, rather than mages in their own right.  I'd be ok with that if it means having a really killy unit.  They're not heavily armoured, so maybe movement 8? Icing on the cake would be giving some defense bonus to nearby heroes, even if it's only wizards.  I was going to say a wound soak, but they'd not give that to Teclis; perhaps a -1 to hit against shooting maybe like SCE protectors.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to seeing the rules for all the new units and what they bring to the faction.

• Like 1

The Blademasters also all have a special, very big, Aetherquartz (?) brooch on their chest. They have Sunmetal weapons (if the Direchasm Warband isn’t different), so it would be weird if their Champion wasn’t a Wizard, but had to rely on others to empower their weapons. Or this special brooch does something to the weapons, or maybe it’s enhancing their defense or something. 

In the video Teclis says when he introduces them, “we put our lives in your hands” or something similar, which could be a hint that they indeed provide some kind of protection to Wizards. 

I really hope we are starting to get information about all those things from next week on. With all the new units and BR Teclis they have a lot to cover : ) 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

The Blademasters also all have a special, very big, Aetherquartz (?) brooch on their chest. They have Sunmetal weapons (if the Direchasm Warband isn’t different), so it would be weird if their Champion wasn’t a Wizard, but had to rely on others to empower their weapons. Or this special brooch does something to the weapons, or maybe it’s enhancing their defense or something. 

In the video Teclis says when he introduces them, “we put our lives in your hands” or something similar, which could be a hint that they indeed provide some kind of protection to Wizards. 

I really hope we are starting to get information about all those things from next week on. With all the new units and BR Teclis they have a lot to cover : ) 

Hm maybe they can "taunt" missiles with their innate -1 to be hit from shooting?

Another insteresting thing is the rage that swords have, because you can't keep shinning so easily as Wardens, I imagine them being in shinning just first turn defending themselves (-2 to be hit from shooting?) and then breaking it to charge.

They are simple in design, but pretty interesting in terms of gameplay.

1 hour ago, Ragest said:

Hm maybe they can "taunt" missiles with their innate -1 to be hit from shooting?

Another insteresting thing is the rage that swords have, because you can't keep shinning so easily as Wardens, I imagine them being in shinning just first turn defending themselves (-2 to be hit from shooting?) and then breaking it to charge.

They are simple in design, but pretty interesting in terms of gameplay.

Yeah, they almost certainly have some special missle defense. It was mentioned in the preview vid, and Ailenn had such an ability in Underworlds. Range seems to just be 1”.

I really hope they manage to make the Bladelords good. They haven’t been always able to do that with elite infantry. 

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Good call.  Wasn't thinking of that. Maybe that burrowed into my subconcious.

Aren't you glad the seeming juxtapositions with Slaanesh appear to have been restricted to the models themselves and not their rules.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

So what are people’s thoughts on The Light Of Eltharian and Teclis these days?

How exactly does the weird Battleline requirements work? If I make Stoneguard Battleline, would a unit of Wardens still allow me to take a unit of Dawnriders as Battleline as well?

You should be able to use The Warden Battleline mechanic in the same way. There are no restrictions mentioned to it. 

I don’t think perceptions of the LoE and Teclis have changed fundamentally. Let’s see what happens once the new units are out. 

I'm very interested in what the new units will bring to the table.

I imagine that Bladelords will be at a 5+ save (their armor looks roughly equivalent to Sentinels or Wardens - just without the shields.) If true, that will put them in an awkward place so far as movement and survivability is concerned. It's possible that they'll have 2 wounds, given they appear to be a 5-man unit. Their role appears to be melee hammer, the real question will be just how survivable the unit is designed to be. Having a protective aspect would be intriguing.

I'm really curious about the Calligrave and what they'll bring to the army. Our magic is already very good and pretty diverse.

The banner seems like an obvious bravery/battle shock buff, but we already have a lot of that. I wonder if their focus will be movement or CP benefits?

The ballista seems pretty straightforward, and I honestly hope it is. I'd rather not have more shooting that makes people upset.

I'm tentatively excited about the Hurakan units (and the spirit in particular). Foxes have always been a favorite animal of mine. Not a huge fan of the horns, but I'm hopeful that they can be left off the model, which would make the ears more prominent. 

I wonder if the Wind Temple's movement tricks will be simple or complex, and how dependant it will be on magic vs warscroll abilities.

Flavor is one thing this army certainly doesn't lack (even with only our current unit selection.) Hopefully what's incoming carries on that tradition while maintaining the central tension of balancing tactics, options, and elements against one another. 

• Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 2:20 AM, LuminethMage said:

It probably won't surprise anyone here, but I'm not really annoyed by this. It still depends a bit on what's actually in BR Teclis and the new Battletome, but personally, I like those books. I bought BR Morathi without having an intention to play any of the factions in covered in that book. 

This is how I see it: I have nothing much to complain in comparison to other factions. We get story focus (with all the marketing attention that that includes like the BR Teclis video) and 11(!?) new kits. Within just a year. Is that worse than sitting around 3 years on a lot of stuff with nothing much really happening? Or even compared to DoK. They "have" to buy a new Battletome after a much longer time (3 years?) with no updates, and what does it include in terms of totally new stuff? 3 Endless Spells/Prayers, and rules updates. Is that better? Depends on the person. All the rest is basically in BR Morathi, which they also "had" to buy, an army box etc. If you don't care about the art and lore parts. 

Could they have released everything together. Sure. And then nothing much in BR Teclis (like one of the heroes with current units in a box with another hero and units from another faction)? Would that have been better? Not for me. Such a battle box (one single new unit) and 3 Endless Spells was all DoK players got out of their place in the limelight. And now maybe they have to wait for another 3+ years until they get much of anything new. And they also had to buy two books. They'll have the same amount of books (2 BT and one campaign) as we do with far less kits. 

Hedonites just had a bit more time in between releases than we do (like 6 month). Does that make much of a difference? They'll have around the same kits as we do, and also had to buy several Battletomes. 

I also genuinely prefer this to having 22+ kits at the start and then almost nothing for 3 years (maybe a hero or something in one of their AoS adjacent games). People complain about that too. A new battletome also means new art and new lore, new painting guides etc. In the end the two battletomes should add up to more than one combined one.

It's probably not worth for everyone, and I can understand that some people don't like it, but I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. I think Covid had a big impact on the impression of this because many people couldn't play, so it feels worse than it normally would. Many people likely haven't done many in person games with the current battletome.

As @Ragest mentioned, the Lumienth BT and models were in warehouses before Covid started to have any influence at all, they always planned on a split release with roughly a year apart between the two. 

Selling Battletomes and other books is part of their sales concept. One can critique that concept as such, but I really don't think we Lumineth players have that much to complain about. 

fully agree with u on this. I also bought BR morathi, and would have bought BR teclis anyways. so it just comes down to mild inconvenience of having the rules split across 2 books. but I mean warscrolls and battalions will be in the App anyways (assuming they unlock from either BR or the new BT) so it's not really an issue. so it's a bit of a luxury problem, if u want a single book that is complete, well it's possible to buy, much better than alternative of not having the option and be forced to have 2 books.

Could u argue that we should only ever have had one book, and pay for a book once?, sure but personally I kinda like the drip feed, maybe because I'm quite casual but I have just now been able to paint and digest the first half, if all came at once it would have been more overwhelming... this way the army stays fresh for more than a year and I'm completely fine with paying the price for an extra book to get all this new stuff :D

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

So what are people’s thoughts on The Light Of Eltharian and Teclis these days?

I like Eltharion, he's a bit of a distraction Carnifex.  I haven't played any games (for obvious reasons), but I will run him first time out.  I'm hoping that a small unit of Bladelords to accompany him will be a nice combo - hopefully more survivability getting across the table and both units can hit simultaneously. I just wish he could actually use his aetherquartz for something.

3 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

The Metal is also really unique and shiny! Great work! 😁 Nice touch with the High Sentinel atop the small Ruins. 🥰

Thanks! It was the most important part for me, I wanted the army to look like this shiny baroque gold that kind of goes from green to pure silver. I think it got better as I progressed through the army, so it’s better one unit of wardens than another etc. As for the high sentinel, yeah I love these sculpts but my one criticism would be the lack of diversity in squad leaders. You can get away with it in the bog-standard rank and file but for the unit leaders, a weapon swap isn’t enough if the both have the same pose, and are on the same base. So I gave the ruin the the sentinel instead of the other high warden!

Considering LRL as a new army, I'm a 40k player and have some Slaanesh stuff but may be getting into an AoS project for building an army alongside a friend who's doing OBR, we're not competitive but obviously don't want to suck, just after some fun games that can go either way. I think the Starter Box is a good start but was wondering if anyone has tried double Cows in a Ymetrica list? 

2 hours ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

Considering LRL as a new army, I'm a 40k player and have some Slaanesh stuff but may be getting into an AoS project for building an army alongside a friend who's doing OBR, we're not competitive but obviously don't want to suck, just after some fun games that can go either way. I think the Starter Box is a good start but was wondering if anyone has tried double Cows in a Ymetrica list? 

Double cows are considered to be more of a fun list, so it might be just the right thing for you. They are slow and usually you won’t have much or any protection against mortal wounds, but  once you get into combat they are fun. Ymetrica hasn’t really performed that well in tournaments so far. 

The starter box was really good, especially when you come new to AoS because you can also use all the little extras in the box. But, a part of the value was in the special edition Battletome, and a new Battletome will be released in the coming months. If you plan on playing with our bovine splendor it might be better to start buying a few of those models and see what’s going to happen in the next few months. With the range doubling in size it’s really hard to say how the LRL will look like. Ymetrica might just be two ballistas and a good hero away from being a really powerful faction. 

Hope that helps a bit, sadly I have no experience with double mountain spirits myself. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, ArchaicArc said:

Let me know what you guys think, I’d love any critiques!

Green fits very well with this model line, haven't seen a combination that I wouldn't like it. I'd prefer more lively bases, but it fits your theme.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Green fits very well with this model line, haven't seen a combination that I wouldn't like it. I'd prefer more lively bases, but it fits your theme.

Thanks. Yeah I really struggled with the bases for this faction. I had originally planned to do marble, but so many models have presculplted trees and rocks that it’d have looked too weird. After that I couldn’t think of a colour scheme to match the force and so I just took the cowardly Grey and white option. I’d love to hear any suggestions you’d have!

34 minutes ago, ArchaicArc said:

I’d love to hear any suggestions you’d have!

I'm still deciding what to use. The bases on my CoS elves turned nicely, I've used texture roller, zandri dust/skull white and some flock. It didn't turn out as neatly as I hoped, but it is what it is.

I'm currently still researching what to do on Lumineth (yay for some free sick leave), probably going to use some pre-made bases as a guidance. In the worst case I'll use what I've learned during CoS project.

• Like 1

So, here's a thing I've been mulling over.

It's bothered me ever since I assembled them that Wardens have a big ol' sword strapped to their backs, but no weapon profile for it.  Dawnriders also all have a sword attached to the saddle that doesn't feature on their warscroll.

I'm wondering whether or not this is going to become relevant when Tyrion gets a release? (Presumably a few years down the road.) Vanari are meant to serve both Teclis and Tyrion, I'm curious if we're going to get something like a Seraphon style Starborn/Coalesced split in the faction, where the Teclian faction abilities give the Vanari their magic, and the Tyrionic faction abilities make them more martially proficient in the form of additional weapon profiles?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Double cows are considered to be more of a fun list, so it might be just the right thing for you. They are slow and usually you won’t have much or any protection against mortal wounds, but  once you get into combat they are fun. Ymetrica hasn’t really performed that well in tournaments so far. 

The starter box was really good, especially when you come new to AoS because you can also use all the little extras in the box. But, a part of the value was in the special edition Battletome, and a new Battletome will be released in the coming months. If you plan on playing with our bovine splendor it might be better to start buying a few of those models and see what’s going to happen in the next few months. With the range doubling in size it’s really hard to say how the LRL will look like. Ymetrica might just be two ballistas and a good hero away from being a really powerful faction. 

Hope that helps a bit, sadly I have no experience with double mountain spirits myself. 

This is what I was working with as an idea at the moment; 

LEADERS

Alarith Stonemage 

Scinari Cathallar  - General

Avalenor, the Stoneheart King 

The Light of Eltharion 

UNITS

10 x Alarith Stoneguard - Stone Mallets

5 x Vanari Dawnriders

10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens

10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels

10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens

BEHEMOTHS

Alarith Spirit of the Mountain

1900/2000 no room for a battalion but plenty for Endless Spells

It's just an idea because I know there's new stuff coming and I already want AirFox and the new Mounted Hero for sure. And obviously no idea what larger changes may come as the result of the new tome. I can get hold of the Starter Box for less money than it would cost to buy just the models, even with a discount, and while the book will be replaced, the extras will likely still be of us, and, if they're not, I'd still be using the units from the box so it's almost a win/win. I want something that will compete with the OBR my friend is looking at without either stomping them into the ground, or being stomped into the ground as that's not fun for anyone. 

• Like 1