Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

For those of you that have built the Stonemage, a question!  How is the structural integrity of the model?  Specifically the apex of the rocks.  I really want to build it, but I’m concerned about that....  anyway to make it stronger? Or is it solid?  I’ve stared at the sprue with no real luck in answering my nagging thought.  🤙🏻

9 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

For those of you that have built the Stonemage, a question!  How is the structural integrity of the model?  Specifically the apex of the rocks.  I really want to build it, but I’m concerned about that....  anyway to make it stronger? Or is it solid?  I’ve stared at the sprue with no real luck in answering my nagging thought.  🤙🏻

Looking at the sprue myself, I think the primary connecting point between the stonemage's platform and the rest of the model is not the tiny point where the two rocks meet, as it appears to be, but rather the cloak draped onto the small tree, which itself anchors firmly into the base of the floating runestone. So the main load of the top of the model is borne there, and not on the rocks themselves, which serves more to balance the remaining weight. It's a pretty clever construction!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wyliekyote said:

That apex between the rock isn't even were the mage and floaty rocks connect.  It is the tree and cape to the back of the pillar-like bit which is a good more plastic connecting the two than it appears.

So far, the only issue I really had is the ribbons on Avalenor's legs.  Particularly the left one, I think, where the sprue gate appears to be as thick that the spot the ribbon crosses over with itself.  Just removing it from the sprue I broke and then tried to replace it from my Spirit of the Mountain and also broke that one.  I glued the bit back on, but I doubt it is going to survive the table for very long.  I suppose it won't be that noticeable though.

Spoiler

2QkvQ3Sh.jpg

Edited by Saturmorn Carvilli
  • Like 1

First Sentinel mostly done, in the end it took me a bit longer than I thought to adapt my colour scheme. 9 more and Eltharion to go, and I finally have my 1,000 points finished (including 10 extra Wardens on the way to 2,000). 

I hope that the any new temples or the Tyrionic factions have the decency to put broader trims on their clothing. 

Edit: damn those photos, great to see all the mistakes ... 😅

EAA644F4-1476-4D1F-B94F-B6731E1D2ED1.jpeg

Edited by LuminethMage
Seeing the picture....
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 5

1 hour ago, SirSalabean said:

So far I’ve got:

Teclis

Stoneheart King

Light of Eltharion

Stonemage

Cathallar 

1 Unit of Diamond Pick Stoneguard

1 Unit of Sentiels

1 Unit of Dawnriders 

2 Units if Wardens

and Lumineth Spells

Should I get anymore units? I am liking the Alarthi most but I want an army with a mix 

Depends on what you want to do. Play locally with friends? More competitive? I think more Sentinels would be good whatever you want to go with afterwards. At least 20 or 30 are probably good in almost any list. Then depends a bit what list you are looking into. Maybe after a few games you know better what you are personally missing. Could be Dawnriders, or Stoneguard etc. 

50 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

So far I’ve got:

Teclis

Stoneheart King

Light of Eltharion

Stonemage

Cathallar 

1 Unit of Diamond Pick Stoneguard

1 Unit of Sentiels

1 Unit of Dawnriders 

2 Units if Wardens

and Lumineth Spells

Should I get anymore units? I am liking the Alarthi most but I want an army with a mix 

What level of gaming are you trying to be involved in?

4 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

What level of gaming are you trying to be involved in?

For now just locally once they open for now it’s mainly painting in preparation for it. Might try competitive next year. I’m not sure what’s recommended with Lumineth. I will get more sentinels. I was thinking more stoneguard as I like them, or dawnriders 

16 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

First Sentinel mostly done, in the end it took me a bit longer than I thought to adapt my colour scheme. 9 more and Eltharion to go, and I finally have my 1,000 points finished (including 10 extra Wardens on the way to 2,000). 

I hope that the any new temples or the Tyrionic factions have the decency to put broader trims on their clothing. 

Edit: damn those photos, great to see all the mistakes ... 😅

EAA644F4-1476-4D1F-B94F-B6731E1D2ED1.jpeg

Nice work 👌 sounds like you’re making better progress then me lol. I’m guessing there’s no sub assembly required here? Just a bit of patience around the right arm is it? Mine are still in the box. I’m battling through Teclis and some dawnriders right now, slowly losing my mind.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Troll.exe said:

Nice work 👌 sounds like you’re making better progress then me lol. I’m guessing there’s no sub assembly required here? Just a bit of patience around the right arm is it? Mine are still in the box. I’m battling through Teclis and some dawnriders right now, slowly losing my mind.

Thank you. : ) . If you are a bit careful with the head angle, I think there is no sub-assembly needed. Its’s the right arm, face and the bits behind the quiver if you don’t leave that one off, which are a bit difficult to reach. But I don’t sub assembly much (only shields for both Warden and Dawnrider), so it might be different for you. 

I haven’t done Teclis yet, but otherwise, after you have finished the Dawnriders - the worst is over. : ) . They were the most difficult by far for me, both assembly and painting. The Sentinels are pretty straight forward. 

I’m leaving Teclis for last. Still trying to improve my painting skills before I tackle him : ) 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 2:44 PM, SirSalabean said:

For now just locally once they open for now it’s mainly painting in preparation for it. Might try competitive next year. I’m not sure what’s recommended with Lumineth. I will get more sentinels. I was thinking more stoneguard as I like them, or dawnriders 

I think the alarith build is fine for playing against a limited pool of players. If you really want to go for it I don't think your opponents will find it very rude. 

So I am pretty interested to try some ethereal blessing on a squad of 20 wardens w/ the Auraulean legion buff or all out defense on them. I just played a game with my deepkin and my Ishlean guard (eels with an ethereal save) were the stars of the show, bouncing wounds off with just a 4+ unrendable save. I know the stone guard would be tankier, but the idea of a huge phalanx of guys with a 4+ save really appeals to me. 

Then again it is reliant on a 6+ magic roll, which my last game also showed me can be very hard to get....

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Then again it is reliant on a 6+ magic roll, which my last game also showed me can be very hard to get....

Well, that would be a 5+ in Zaitrec, 4+ if you use Aetherquartz and 3+ (or possibly 2+) if the Hyshian Twinstones are around - so not so hard possibly.

• Like 1

So, as I mentioned a couple days ago:

I got my Lumineth on the table for the first time! Against the White Dwarf Battalion for the Gloomspite Gitz known as the Jawz of Mork! If anyone isn't familiar with this battalion, it enhances squigs into a ferocious stampede! Also it changes the moonshrine so that squigs can get resurrected at half strength instead of only moonclan units.

Mission: Shifting Objectives

Turn 1:

The Gitz take first turn and seize all the objectives across the board. The Boingrotz, Squig Boss leader, and Skagrott slink to the very back of their deployment zone in hopes to avoid my archers, which they will. The Squig herd advances on the right flank and takes one of the secondary objectives, and a unit of stabbas takes the center non-primary objective. The Mangler Squig roles up onto the primary and the Squig Hoppers bounce past it and straight into a Warden Phalanx.

Wardens pop their aetherquartz for +1 save. Moonfire flask takes out a squig hopper. The Hoppers absolutely flatten 16 Wardens... leaving four. That had me sweating a bit lol. The Wardens do strike back and kill a couple of hoppers.

The Lumineth march forward in formation to counter attack. Stonemage remains in place and unleashes an Assault of Stone on the Hoppers, who have a 6+ save... 8 mortal wounds! Over half of the Hoppers just got smashed underneath some rocks! The Archers make their presence known, hosing down a good number of squigs in the squig herd, and taking off about 8-9 wounds off the Mangler Squig.

All of my spells go off beside Ethereal protection.

The Dawnriders surge forward on either flank and crash into their respective targets with some good charges. The Squig Herd is trampled underfoot, the rest flee from battleshock and kill a knight on the way out thanks to their frenzied flight.

The Knights assaulting the mangler squig whittle the chained creatures down to one wound with their sunmetal lances alone... guardian sword and hooves fail to do anymore. 😑. Now that the Mangler is on one wound, it manages to wipe out an entire unit of ten dawnriders in one chaotic, gore-splattered round of combat.

This changed the outlook of the game completely... if I could have done just one more wound, I'd have an entire unit of dawnriders still in the fight and the primary objective under control. And now there is a very angry Mangler on the rampage!

If I had won turn 2 priority, I knew I'd have a good chance to recover and counter-attack back into a position of strength...

Of course, gloomspite win the priority. To make matters worse, the primary objective stays where it is, on the flank that is pretty much decimated at this point.

The mangler would go on to crash into the sentinels on my left flank and chew up 15 of them. The last five do strike down the mangler with the glorious light of hysh in their eyes. The Stonemage whittles down the rest of the Squig Hoppers when she joins the fray.

The remaining Warden unit charged into the center objective under a constant hail of supporting fire from the other sentinel unit marching steadily behind them.

11 out of 40 stabbas remain by the end of turn 3, but at this point, the game is 5 - 2 and there is no chance of me coming back at all.

So, I concede and call it good game to my opponent!

WC316MQ.jpg

Fk4UIb4.jpg

WjeEQ4X.jpg

kFwczaY.jpg

6fUrMCZ.jpg

tl9xmRj.jpg

UxbMcTm.jpg

DvGZhcv.jpg

YxlwavJ.jpg

IU9rY2N.jpg

p6onVnh.jpg

QgLFB6I.jpg

fLqWsiN.jpg

edXhhmk.jpg

Also working on the 'white' in my color scheme:

Stage One:

xtToYDV.jpg

fuJ0ios.jpg

tduPfM2.jpg

Stage Two:

qVFHDzj.jpg

bV6RBmS.jpg

hi7il19.jpg

Stage Three:

C1UZJPC.jpg

3Jy26Zo.jpg

cwB6L4K.jpg

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 6

Oh, that sounded like an exiting game.! Always great if the outcome hinges on a few roles (I almost groaned about the 1 point Mangler just reading it : ) ). Thanks for the write up! All in all, did everything work how you imagined, or were there some surprises? 

That Assault of Stone must have felt awesome : ) 

I Love the "Aetherquartz" object markers.

Your white also seems to work out well! 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Oh, that sounded like an exiting game.! Always great if the outcome hinges on a few roles (I almost groaned about the 1 point Mangler just reading it : ) ). Thanks for the write up! All in all, did everything work how you imagined, or were there some surprises? 

That Assault of Stone must have felt awesome : ) 

I Love the "Aetherquartz" object markers.

Your white also seems to work out well! 

Thanks, LuminethMage! It was an incredibly fun game, as expected of the Gitz resurgent!

There were a few surprises for me actually, and some things that I did learn.

1- Shining companies to me... I think it's better to keep the formation if you're not going first, in case of alpha strikes, etc. But I found it *really* restrictive lol.

I feel like Wardens are good enough when charged, that they don't need to worry about charging themselves. I'm going to experiment with just running them up the board and race onto objectives before the enemy, then dare them to come remove me off of them.

2 - Dawnriders are strong... but 20 seems redundant and unnecessary for the list that I ran today. I have dropped half of the twenty I originally brought for another Stonemage and some endless spells.

3 - Sentinels *are* the Realm-Lord war machines 😅

4 - Stonemage rocked in that game... but I'm going to experiment with being more aggressive with my mages. If I could have gotten off another assault of stone on the unit of 40 stabbas in the center objective... that would have been awesome, but I was out of range to cast it. Same for the Cathaller's Darkness of the Soul spell.

5 - Aetherquartz is great and I think that realm-lords absolutely need the lightning fast reflexes allegiance ability after piloting them this game.

6 - Need more games!

• Like 3

Some awesome reporting from the front lines!! Got my blood pumping there...  And love the pics!  Which Endless Spells did you end up using/swaping in for the Dawnriders?  Right now, I feel that 10 of them is a good ammount, leaves you with points for other things...

Notice you're using the MiniMag Trays.  I've been looking at them, but never having used them, wondering how useful they are?

Those objective markers are SWEET!!

And yeah... that white armor is looking good!  Is it base coat/prime of white, then some Apothecary Contrast, then clean up with white?🤘

Keep up the good battle reports! :P  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wyliekyote said:

Some awesome reporting from the front lines!! Got my blood pumping there...  And love the pics!  Which Endless Spells did you end up using/swaping in for the Dawnriders?  Right now, I feel that 10 of them is a good ammount, leaves you with points for other things...

Notice you're using the MiniMag Trays.  I've been looking at them, but never having used them, wondering how useful they are?

Those objective markers are SWEET!!

And yeah... that white armor is looking good!  Is it base coat/prime of white, then some Apothecary Contrast, then clean up with white?🤘

Keep up the good battle reports! :P  

So right now, the endless spells I've opted for

Hyshian Twinstones

Sanctum of Amyntok

And I'm going to try the Soulscream bridge from Forbidden Power to shunt Wardens around

I'm loving the minimagtrays... if the table is using a mat lol. If it's a textured table, better off not using them as they become a nightmare to shift around and move.

The objective markers aren't mine, but my opponents 😅 , but I'm hoping to get some of those from whoever made them for him. They do look fancy :).

It's actually four layers of corax white + lhamian medium on a wet pallet over Wraithbone primer, stage 2 is apothecary white, and stage 3 is corax white + ulthuan grey + lhamian medium for the highlight color 🙂. It might be easier to use grey seer though for the primer.

• Like 1

@ThalmorRepresentative I'm kind of relieved that 20 Dawnriders sound too much, that means I don't have to paint 20 of them. My trial list only has 5, might be too low, but with Teclis in the list you can't get in everything you want. I plan to paint another 5 though. I loved my Dragon Princes in the HE, and the Dawnriders sound like a similar experience when you can send them into the right units.

I can totally image that you want another mage in there, so many good spell options. Crippling Vertigo or the Stonemage's Gravity spell might also have been helpful. But you can't cast them all. With the Twinstones, at least you can also almost "guarantee" to get important spells off even without Teclis. Looking forward to the next report.