Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

3 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

Hey everybody, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or helpful tips on converting the manchrusher legs into different positions?

It's challenging if you have very little experience and/or few tools. The tools that I used are                  1 - exact0 knife: Your general purpose tool, useful in most converting situations.                            2 - Clippers: You aren't going to want to use the exact0 to cut through sprue or other solid pieces. Depending on quality can be used to get a flat edge too.                      3 - Hobby saw: Useful for large scale cuts, like those found on cutting apart giant's limbs. Could you use an exacto0? Yes, but the challenge of getting it to be flat and not wasting material would be rather steep.                      4 - Drill: One of those small drills. Something that you can use to pin a limb in position. What size of drill will rather depend on the pin you're using. Don't use an actual sewing pin as many are hard enough to damage the clipper that cuts them. I usually use paper clips and just straighten them out beforehand.                       5 - Modeling epoxy: I usually use green stuff, but there are many kinds. This is how you finish up details, objects and smooth out  shapes. Usually.                          6 - Glue: You're building miniatures, you'll need glue For this I usually use a quick dry, heavy super glue. Very thick nd viscous.                            7 - Scrap plastic: It doesn't have to be plastic, but something to fill in the gaps for hollow models and generally fill out the shapes of the conversion. This cuts down on needed modeling epoxy. Up to you if you want it.

As for how I did it, it obviously depends on the pose. Let's take Punty for example.           

1 - Deciding on how to go about the pose:  I wanted to get the kick pose and thought that I could just use the leg position as is. The mancrushers are hollow so pins won't be usable. Likewise, The other leg is too close to the body to function as a realistic brace, (unless you want him to look like he's falling over), so I needed to cut it too. For deciding on what works for the pose you may wish to mime out the action yourself. Look at what you're doing/what needs to be done to the model.

2 - Cut the legs:  Assemble the legs/body to be cut. Then use your hobby saw (preferably) to cut the legs off at the joint. If you've ever seen the process of drawing a character, then you will mostly get it. You're going to be cutting at the inner thigh, leaving the body with just the crotch. Obviously where/how you cut depends on the pose you're going for, but I'm going to focus o Punty.

3 - Attach the leg(s): This is the tricky bit. Other steps require more technique, but here is where it can get frustrating. You need to line up the limb about where you want it and then glue it in place using the scrap material as the foundation. Now I don't mean  filling the hollow shell of the crusher, I mean the gap between the leg and the crotch/torso. Assuming you've got your brace scrap down, let it dry for a bit. (which is why I use the quick dry) You won't need anything annoying like 24 hours. Then you start at the edges and work you way towards the brace/large end. If you want, you can wait after each piece of scrap, but I'm impatient. Repeat for the other leg.

4 - Clean up the scrap; Here's where you wait for the 24 hours. You don't want anything coming apart here as you'll be applying the most force. Presuming that you're not amazing and got all the scrap to line up in a rough approximation of how you want the model to look, you'll need to cut away the stuff that is sticking out. References of bodies in motion can be useful here, but I usually go for just a smooth surface at this point. Up to you.

5 - Sculpting/Covering: There's not a lot I can say here except to remember your anatomy and generally try to use the existing work. A tip is to keep your blade wet if you don't want the epoxy to stick to it. The back of the blade gives wider, softer lines too.

This final one is about reposing solid parts. If you're worried about something coming unstuck, pin it. I used this extensively on weapon swaps and solid limbs. You cut it like the other, but with pinning how you cut it is the determining factor. Angles and all that. Cut apart the limb pieces, once again, stick to joints if possible. It's how the human body works, so follow it's lead. Dry fitting will help get the feel of the pose. Use the drill (more positioning is important stuff) You can also use the pin as the brace in gap filling if you want to. 

Hope this helps, For Behemat!

• Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Alfcam said:

It does say Sons of Behemat Blowout there though, so I'm guessing that's the Tome Celestial

I've all the Destruction Tome Celestial and all of them starts with the "Tome Celestial: Faction"

Tome Celestial: Ironsunz
Tome Celestial: Jawz of Mork
Tome Celestial: Troggoth
Tome Celestial: Grimscuttle Tribes

I think it would be an article about how were they designed.

Shame I was trying to muse on what the new rules could be. Was hoping for either a global rule or maybe some battalions.

plus side I did come up with a nice idea for a trident Kraken eater today but 6-8 inch tridents don’t seem readily available online. My friend says he’s going to try making one from a vermin lord kit so fingers crossed it comes out well. 

Edited by Reuben Parker
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity how are people interpreting the war stomper pickup attack. It’s worded differently to mancrusher and kraken eater which do it after pile in. 

stomper just says during the combat phase. So by the wording it appears you can do it outside of normal combat sequences. Also could you use it before something that triggers at the start of the phase? Pickup a lumineth warden champion before he gets to do d3 mortal wounds??? Faq didn’t seem to address it. 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, Scythian said:

To be honest, I’m just fine with my Sons army as it is. A Tome Celestial would’ve been fun, but ultimately, we already have what we need.

Soon I will have everything that I need :)  

gatebreaker, warstomper and 6 mancrushers painted. Have a kraken eater on order. I’m also making the stomper amd kraken dual builds as breakers. 

meaning I can run a lot of different builds including 3 gatebreaker breaker tribe which I’m excited to try. 

after the 3rd mega is done I’ll probably buy 4 more mancrushers so I can run the 9 mancrusher stomper build and the spare 10th may even come in handy if SoB get some points shaved off next GHB. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

@Reuben Parker the warstomper ability can be used at any point in the combat phase during your activation.

However it cannot happen before abilities that trigger at the start of the combat phase due to how the phases themselves are broken down :

Start of the combat phase 

Combat phase

End of combat phase.

That also would be my assumption. 

it is complicated though by the fact logically start of the phase is also part of the combat phase. If a unit says it gets +1 save in the combat phase they get that against attacks at the start of the phase. 

annoyingly I can’t see any clear answer for his ability and “start of the phase” in the faq. 

In the general rules FAQ I think is were you will find a breakdown of how the phases are played and how abilities are timed within them. 

It all came about with the "activation wars" 

But essentially it will be (no matter who's turn it is) abilities that trigger at the "start of the combat phase" then when they are all concluded (in an order chosen by the turn player) you move on to abilities that trigger "in the combat phase " (again chosen in order by the turn player) then once all eligible models have fought etc etc tou reach the "end of the combat phase " and abilities trigger (yet again, in order as chosen by the turn player)

Ps: Your completely correct it is very complicated as they use phrases and words as having duel meaning one moment and singular meaning the next with abandon which is what leads to most of these confusions. 

Edited by BrocknerTheBear
  • Like 1

So what is everyones Stomps Lore!?

Mine are three Gargant Brothers, a Warstomper, Gatebreaker and Kraken Eater respectively.

Björn Oakbreaker - Warstomper.

Lödd Tower Smasher - Gatebreaker.

Hünd Village Flooder - Kraken Eater.

I've yet to add any Mancrushers but the Stomp will grow as more Gargants are brought into the fold.

The brothers live in a forest on the edge of a small town in either Ghur or Ghyran, I've yet to decide. I'm imagining a more thriving version of the Village as seen in the film 13th Warrior.

The brothers have an alliance with the town folk which consists mainly of Human, Dispossessed and a small force of Lumineth Realm Lords which are out burning sigils and using the town as a Garrison.

The Gargants hunt the beasts of the forest and Hünd fishes in the large lake near its border, they trade these goods with the village folk in exchange for Bugmans XXXXXXX which is delivered to the local Freeguild regiment monthly by a Kharadron trading ship. 

The Brothers hate the taint of Chaos and actively hunt the Beastmen that sometimes foray into their domain, with Lödd taking righteous joy in crushing any Herdstones that he finds. 

Word has reached the Town and that of the Stomp that a rise in Slaanesh activity has been noticed with many farmers from the surrounding countryside being taken in the night. 

More work to be done but this is my start!!

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Eya all !

Just started my SoB army , i'm going trough all the pages of this topic to be up-to-date :D

IMG-20201230-WA0111.jpeg.1b1446b7faaa34ac9d28d759ec8ffff8.jpegIMG-20201230-WA0109.jpeg.2526eaa9aafdace2d3f2ff2585ca5315.jpegIMG-20201230-WA0106.jpeg.bc9533e7e07ee8231955598d95c28d54.jpegIMG-20201230-WA0094.jpeg.c7ad490a1d68f5886314a4d9f6e0219c.jpeg

This is the first mancrusher of my army, i have already an idea for the gatebreaker, but probably i will finish to do 9 mancrusher footslogger.

See you all here :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Mine are three Gargant Brothers, a Warstomper, Gatebreaker and Kraken Eater respectively.

Björn Oakbreaker - Warstomper.

Lödd Tower Smasher - Gatebreaker.

Hünd Village Flooder - Kraken Eater.

I've yet to add any Mancrushers but the Stomp will grow as more Gargants are brought into the fold.

The brothers live in a forest on the edge of a small town in either Ghur or Ghyran, I've yet to decide. I'm imagining a more thriving version of the Village as seen in the film 13th Warrior.

The brothers have an alliance with the town folk which consists mainly of Human, Dispossessed and a small force of Lumineth Realm Lords which are out burning sigils and using the town as a Garrison.

The Gargants hunt the beasts of the forest and Hünd fishes in the large lake near its border, they trade these goods with the village folk in exchange for Bugmans XXXXXXX which is delivered to the local Freeguild regiment monthly by a Kharadron trading ship. 

The Brothers hate the taint of Chaos and actively hunt the Beastmen that sometimes foray into their domain, with Lödd taking righteous joy in crushing any Herdstones that he finds. 

Word has reached the Town and that of the Stomp that a rise in Slaanesh activity has been noticed with many farmers from the surrounding countryside being taken in the night. 

More work to be done but this is my start!!

I haven’t worked out all of mine but in general they’re a breaker tribe contracted by Nagash to wipe out the last enclaves of Tomb Kings who survived from the world that was 

E8C3F302-C9EA-4647-B715-D6633D7CED4C.jpeg

• LOVE IT! 2

On 1/3/2021 at 5:39 AM, KingBrodd said:

I've got this as my lore so far. (Mind you, I don't have all the models mentioned)

The stomp is a breaker tribe lead by Burgg Star breaker and his mate, Aela the huntress. (names work in progress)  The tribe started in the realm of beasts until an unending tide of daemons drove them from their hunting grounds. Scattered and in disarray, Burgg (beast smasha at the time)was attacked by chaos dwarves seeking to repeat the stories they heard of their kin taming gargants, only they would do them one better! They would tame a mega! Aela went looking for her mate with the tribe and his brother, after all, a dead gargant leaves signs, as does one being dragged.

The tribe followed the trail into chammon and picked up some more gargants along the way. They were told of their kin being taken by the hateful little beardlings and banded together with the locals to take them down. The newly expanded tribe found stormcast eternals were also planning an attack and at Aela's urging, struck an accord. Between the two forces  the chaos dwarves never stood a chance. Burgg was freed with many other gargants. Burning with hatred for the forces of chaos, Burgg took the name Star Breaker. In honor of their alliance (and the gargant's newfound hatred of their enemies) the stormcast gifted the tribe with some armor, "reforging" them to fight chaos. Most of the tribe chose not to reforge, but some joined Burgg in doing so. Mission accomplished, the tribe moved on.

They moved from realm to realm for a while, picking up gargants along the way until they stumbled through a malfunctioning realm gate into a desert of the realm of fire. Now trapped, the tribe sacked caravans and hunted great scaly beasts until they came across a city. There they extorted protection supplies out of the city and would occasionally drive away some marauders. That was until the city of anvilgard was sacked. The enemies of order took this as a sign that it was their time to attack. Suddenly the city was grateful for its protectors, Especially when forces from the newly christened Har Kuron Declared the city to be under their protection. Now the stomp is embroiled in a siege with the dark elves whilst chaos no doubt lurks in the shadows.

Our Cast (so far):

Spoiler

Burg Star Breaker: He once enjoyed hunting the mega fauna of Ghur with his mate and their tribe, but now his heart is clouded with bitterness. Tortured for weeks by the chaos dwarves, he hates all things chaos and deeply distrusts the duardin as a people. Taking pieces of armor from a star drake and the totem of the chaos dwarves as his weapon, Bur+gg is now a wandering engine of destruction. He seeks a way to hit the forces of chaos where it hurts. Unfortunately for them, the dwarves experiments increased his intelligence to a remarkable degree (he actually can understand the big words the city folks  use and use tactics, much to the dark elves chagrin)

Aela the huntress likes to hunt big things. Her armor is made from the scaled hides of the drakes she found in the desert along with the bones of particularly excellent hunts. She hasn't been satisfied krumpin' the little pointy ears of late, but they DID bring some dragons. I haven't decided if she wields a spear or a a cleaver yet. She could be either a gate breaker or a kraken eater depending on my fancy, but she's usually serving as my second breaker backing up her hubby.

Mancrushers:

Scaly just likes dragons, specifically eating them. Their skin also works very well as protection. He's been with the tribe since the beginning, he's actually quite an accomplished tracker.

Punty was a prisoner of the chaos dwarves and was rescued by the stormcast. He hadn't been tortured for very long so he took after his rescuers who christened him "a knight of the comet" upon his reforging. He now seeks to "protect all da little ones!" from the forces of chaos. Currently under the impression that the dark elves are actually chaos elves.

Grumpy was tortured by the chaos dwarves for a very long time and didn't break. He is currently fueled mostly by rage and hated. He doesn't know it, but he walks down the path of skulls. His weapon is his old slave weight jammed into a log of a tree.

Lazy got his name from sleeping so long in ghyran that fungus and plants actually started to grow on him. Like wise infected by the lambent life energies, he found that after his long nap (that the tribe woke him from) he had a second head. At first finding it odd, he now rather enjoys the company.

Stealy has absolutely no self control. If he sees something he wants, he takes it. This has made the deal with the city rather problematic for him. He doesn't want Burgg mad at him, but "the humies and beardies have so much nice things!"  He recently has been put in charge of gathering food to put his collecting urges to some use to the stomp with mixed results. Stealy tends to get distracted.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, KingBrodd said:

I'm making proxies for my Sons by taking these digital sculpts of humanoid fungus creatures, scaling them up 300%, and 3d-printing them so they're the right scale for Megas and Mancrushers. I'll try to attach pictures.

The lore involves the death of Behemat- when he was eventually killed, he'd been sleeping in Ghyran a long time, Nurgle and the Skaven had been at him, he got smacked by Ghal Maraz... Various types of magic mingling inside a godbeast.

So when he died, some of that magic cocktail somehow imprinted a simple semblance of Gargant consciousness (which is already fairly simple) into Behemat's toe fungus, which as you can imagine is fairly big and angry.

Now, these odd fungal giants roam the land, mutely mimicking the behaviour of gargants. Sometimes they're mistaken for weird Sylvaneth, sometimes folk try to bargain with them like regular Gargants. Nothing works. They sometimes pantomime negotiations, but they don't actually understand what they're doing, because they don't strictly speaking have brains.

My Maggotkin army's witches and sorcerors have figured out how to point one in vaguely the right direction and stop it attacking them very much, but that's as far as anyone's got.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey guys!

After a few games with all three different tribes I will make a resume:

1. I love how short the Command phase and Movement phase are! The shooting though.

2. The full painted models look great on the table! Even my enemies are frightened in the first moments. But after every game they will not because:

3. Our damage output is mediocre at best. If someone or something debuffs is with -1 to hit its devastating.

4. Even with 35 wounds our Megas die really fast. There are so many hard hitting heroes or monsters out there which can kill one mega in one turn.

Whats your experience with them and which armies you faced so far?

Edited by Drazhoath
  • Like 1