AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

3 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

what is the meaning of updating the points immediately after the release of the new BT?

It's immediatly after the new Generals Handbook. So for example Mawtribes (in a normal world) would have had 7 months of play before the GHB. But would be to close to the winter points update. 

But yeah, there could be much more fluid and effective ways of doing the point updates. As to why the additional pdf with points updates wasn't released together with the GHB.... I can't think of single good reason other than they didn't want to invest the manpower so close to the 40k update. And they didn't even want to waste the communication space to tell us when to expect it ;) 

14 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

what is the meaning of updating the points immediately after the release of the new BT?

The GBH went into print before those tomes had released (or very soon after) so they didn't have the necessary data to make any changes. Honestly, I don't think they should even bother putting points in physical media, considering how often they change and all the online (and completely free) methods we have of finding them.  

• Thanks 1

Hey

A good day for my fat half-naked guys! I played against a Tzeentch list with Kayros and a second Lord of Change. And a bunch of mortals (Good for me: no flamers and horrors).

I played a lot of Gluttons, Iron Guts and Stone Horns. The other player was so suprised about the damage Output of the Iron Guts (21 Wounds for the LoC).

Now I LOVE Iron Guts. Do you think an unit of 4 is enough or better using 8?

It was a close and very funny match.

• Like 2

Hi guys, i Just started ogor mawtribes and i got a question how to build the Mournfang Pack the Best way. I got myself 2 starter Boxes and i want to build 2x 4.

1)Do you guys prefer Gargant Hackers or culling Clubs/prey hacker? 

2) if i build a skalg, a horn blower and a Banner bearer all of those use a culling Club or prey hacker. Is this right? So best i could Do is add only one Gargant hacker? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Drazhoath said:

Hey

A good day for my fat half-naked guys! I played against a Tzeentch list with Kayros and a second Lord of Change. And a bunch of mortals (Good for me: no flamers and horrors).

I played a lot of Gluttons, Iron Guts and Stone Horns. The other player was so suprised about the damage Output of the Iron Guts (21 Wounds for the LoC).

8 for sure. Its worth the 440 points.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drazhoath said:

Hey

Absolutely 8. The real question is 2x4 or 1x8. I’ve found that 8 is a bit unwieldy but 4 occasionally stalls. As in it hits something it doesn’t fully kill and as a result they are stuck in combat. 

for me that’s horrible so I go for 1x8. But definitely test what works for you. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Stromberg said:

Hi guys, i Just started ogor mawtribes and i got a question how to build the Mournfang Pack the Best way. I got myself 2 starter Boxes and i want to build 2x 4.

1)Do you guys prefer Gargant Hackers or culling Clubs/prey hacker? 

2) if i build a skalg, a horn blower and a Banner bearer all of those use a culling Club or prey hacker. Is this right? So best i could Do is add only one Gargant hacker? 

Thanks in advance. 

Personally I prefer clubs & ironfists, the damage is nearly identical vs a 4+  save, anything higher or rerolls will favor the gargant hackers, but thats not taking the mortal wounds from the ironfists into account. the 2" range isn't particularly useful on mournfang imo. Ironfist mileage can vary wildly as well, being better against massed weak attacks than against high quality ones.

Also since the description says "The unit is armed with one of the following weapon options" it means everything will have the chosen weapon, including the skalg horn blower, and banner bearer, even though those ones are modeled with clubs.

46 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Personally I prefer clubs & ironfists, the damage is nearly identical vs a 4+  save, anything higher or rerolls will favor the gargant hackers, but thats not taking the mortal wounds from the ironfists into account. the 2" range isn't particularly useful on mournfang imo. Ironfist mileage can vary wildly as well, being better against massed weak attacks than against high quality ones.

Also since the description says "The unit is armed with one of the following weapon options" it means everything will have the chosen weapon, including the skalg horn blower, and banner bearer, even though those ones are modeled with clubs.

Ok thank you. 

3 minutes ago, James101 said:

FAQs are up and basically as per the rumours. Only change for us Ogors is some (imo not enough) reductions for the three thundertusk units. 

So I think it’s basically no changes.

Thanks for the heads up. Because I was a dummy, couldn’t find it, became convinced that we didn’t get them. 
turned out I wa looking in the commentary 

Edited by Kramer

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Thanks for the heads up. Because I was a dummy, couldn’t find it, became convinced that we didn’t get them. 
turned out I wa looking in the commentary 

English FAQ. Final page is pitched battle profiles and has asterisks prior to the Thundertusk entries. For reference they are now 270/300/350 for Riders, Huskards, Frostlord respectively. 

Thundertusks still have bad warscrolls, so nothing changes. Bring the Huskard down to 240 and we'll talk. 

Though the big bummer is no drops for Gutbusters. Tyrants, Butchers, Firebellies, Ironguts, Leadbelchers, Ironblasters, and even Gluttons themselves can all afford to come down.

53 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Thundertusks still have bad warscrolls, so nothing changes. Bring the Huskard down to 240 and we'll talk. 

Though the big bummer is no drops for Gutbusters. Tyrants, Butchers, Firebellies, Ironguts, Leadbelchers, Ironblasters, and even Gluttons themselves can all afford to come down.

I agree on the tyrant. But other than that everything has it's place and seems reasonably costed in Gutbusters to me. 

But full agree on the Thundertusks. As long as they have no role te play the cost doesn't matter until it becomes rediciously cheap so people spam it. 

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

Huskard On Tusk might be tad underwhelming. But i just finished a six game tournament yesterday and the Huskard on Tusk was the MVP in every single game. 

Put Alvagr Ancient on him. Pair him with your Stonehorns, move up the board. If you get to charge, excellent. If its your enemies turn they are forced to charge you to avoid getting charged the following turn. And if they to charge, they fight last. Win-win-win. 

I've been contemplating this, and while the Thundertusks are certainly less amazing in combat than Stonehorns, vs a horde of Skaven or the like, their frosty breath is pretty scary.  Worth a proxy-hammer experiment for sure!

I want to see what happens when my Tyrants of Blood fights three FLoSHes.

9 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Hello guy, 

finally some reduction. 

What do you think about this list? Could be competitive?

Huskard on TT 300

Frostlord on TT 350

5x Thundertusk Beastraiders. 270 

total 2000 points.

I doubt it, Thundertusks are still pretty weak since frost Wreathed ice is so weak.   Frost-wreathed Ice is basically engineered to be ineffective against all targets, and is supposed to be the selling point of the thundertusk. the 4 tusk attacks are quite weak as far as monster melee attacks go.

you roll 12 dice at on the top bracket, on a 6+ you do 1 mortal wound. so you can expect to get around 2 on average, most of the targets with less than 10 models are either elite (meaning you likely won't kill any models) or 2 wound chaff units (you can kill a single chaos warrior/liberator). if the unit has 10 models you can expect 4 mortal wounds, so against a unit of 10 single wound models you could kill 4 (this is probably a chaff unit anyways but represents the best "value" killing almost half the unit), or against multi wound models you might kill one or two. units of 20+ models are going to be hordes so while you can get 6 mortal wounds on average, killing 6 models in a big horde is a drop in the bucket.

The only variant of Thundertusk that might be decent now is the Huskard, and mostly for the support capabilities, the healing prayer could be relevant due to all our models having a lot of wounds, and the "lore" prayers offer some more mortals or movement, +1 to wound is always relevant as well. I could see a huskard on TT holding an objective in the back and providing support being something usable, but it might still be overcosted. The other variants are definitely overcosted still.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you remember that Huskard on Thunderstusk can do two pray for round?  Winter strenght (this is really good) or endurance + pulverising hailstorm i think that is good. In boulderhead you can do in the shooting phase a average of 4.16 mortal wounds in 18" to a important hero (blood vulture, blasts of frost and hailstorm). In two rounds you can kill any important enemy hero.

My only problem is the others Thunderstusks, Firebellies and tyrants (except in gutbusters).

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

The only variant of Thundertusk that might be decent now is the Huskard, and mostly for the support capabilities, the healing prayer could be relevant due to all our models having a lot of wounds, and the "lore" prayers offer some more mortals or movement, +1 to wound is always relevant as well. I could see a huskard on TT holding an objective in the back and providing support being something usable, but it might still be overcosted. The other variants are definitely overcosted still

A support hero that does its prayer at 4+ is like gambling by flipping a coin. In theory it’s shooting is nice (don’t forget the extra MW for the bird) but like you said. There is no real good target for it unless, again, you gamble to spike it’s rolls. 

i just feel it has no role to play sadly. The only way to change it is to either drop it’s points to a spammable level. Which might be now. Or to change its warscroll to give it a role in the army. My vote would be to double down on the horde killer. Give it an attack for every model within 1” or something. 

4 minutes ago, Sartxac said:

Do you remember that Huskard on Thunderstusk can do two pray for round?  Winter strenght (this is really good) or endurance + pulverising hailstorm i think that is good. In boulderhead you can do in the shooting phase a average of 4.16 mortal wounds in 18" to a important hero (blood vulture, blasts of frost and hailstorm). In two rounds you can kill any important enemy hero.

My only problem is the others Thunderstusks, Firebellies and tyrants (except in gutbusters).

What allows it to do a second prayer? I thought you can still only take two, not pray twice. 

Also you can only kill any important 5WOUND hero in two rounds. Because you ain’t killing important big heroes. Which is not impressive for 350pts monster.

regarding the tyrant. Yeah I agree pricy. But still like you say in gutbuster he plays a role so that’s fine. For a new model it deserved a bit more, but fine.