Swifthawk agents and eldritch council squatted?

Kempak

So with the new free cities battetome coming out, and the announcement of ledgends not that long ago.

Does anyone know if swifthawk agents and eldritch council have been added to the legends?  I was hoping as phoenix temple was in free cities then they may get added in. 

As they we part of the last wfb starter set and revamped set for aos1.0 I thought they may have been kept minorly relevant especially as both work well with the whole free cities vibe swifthawks as messengers and quick response and eldritch council as a magic school faction. I mean Darkling covens are in there but not these factions. I see the line for aelves is gone now and in free cities on GW website. For one of the most popular factions in wfb it seems a sad fate.

Edited by Kempak
spelling
  • Sad 1

It's a sad fate but it seems to be their fate. Swifthawk and Eldritch might end up in Legends or it will just get lumped back under high elves in legends. Otherwise both forces are gone. 

Now personally I found it very shocking that GW pulled some of those models, esp the dragon and such. I wonder if part of the 5 year plan down the road is that they cleared some of those out to make room for more things later in the "angelic" aelf army that GW has teased us about in the lore for a long while. However its impossible to predict what will or won't come about at present.

• Like 1

All of the Eldritch Council and Swifthawk Agents units (bar Shadow Warriors, who we're not ever sure are still Swifthawk Agents) have been discontinued ahead of the Cities of Sigmar launch. It's very sad news, but the silver lining is that if you still own any Swifthawk of Eldritch Council models, then High/Dark/Wood Elves are all pretty interchangeable, and most discontinued stuff is still very usable in a Cities of Sigmar force.

Shameless plug, but if it's any use to you, I've written a two part article on the subject, with suggestions on how to use every human, dwarf and elf unit discontinued by GW from the recent stuff to the 1980s in a Cities of Sigmar army:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in_26.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

I was thinking if opponent allows substitute swordmasters for executioners. Good idea on the seaguard as black guard I was thinking dread spears but much better choice.

I supposed as long as they're manufactured by GW and your opponent isn't "that guy" it would be acceptable.

The models may be gone, but they still have points in the Generals Handbook, so the factions are still just as playable as they ever were so long as you have the models. Whether that will continue to be the case remains to be seen, but I'd imagine most reasonable opponents would let you take the odd discontinued model so long as it fit the army.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kempak said:

I was thinking if opponent allows substitute swordmasters for executioners. Good idea on the seaguard as black guard I was thinking dread spears but much better choice.

I supposed as long as they're manufactured by GW and your opponent isn't "that guy" it would be acceptable.

That's it, isn't it, they're both armoured elite elves with two-handed swords. It's hard to see any reasonable good-faith argument by an opponent that it's all too confusing without them being 'that guy'. Some stand-ins definitely need bit more creativity but stuff like using an Archmage as a Sorceress or Ellyrion Reavers as Dark Riders is practically a perfect 1:1 translation into the rules.

• Like 3

It will also be better for us playing home-games when GW releases their promised matched points for every legends unit next year as well...  Then you can house rule which units are allowed in each city, etc, without having to worry too much about the points being way way off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandlemad said:

That's it, isn't it, they're both armoured elite elves with two-handed swords. It's hard to see any reasonable good-faith argument by an opponent that it's all too confusing without them being 'that guy'. Some stand-ins definitely need bit more creativity but stuff like using an Archmage as a Sorceress or Ellyrion Reavers as Dark Riders is practically a perfect 1:1 translation into the rules.

Honestly that's why I think so many of the High Elf kits got retired. They were very similar to their Dark Elf counterparts and the Dark Elf kits were newer and better looking for the most part. There was a picture somewhere on here of someone who kitbashed the Executioners with the heads for the Blackguard and painted them in High Elf colors. They basically just looked like updated Swordmasters.

I have basically all these units, and I think for at least a couple years they will be very playable in GHB rules.

I also plan to use them all "as is" something else. The Dragonlord as a Vampire Lord on Dragon, or Dark Elf on Dragon. The Griffon rider as a Freeguild General. My swordsmasters as executioners or Freeguild Greatswords.  Spireguard as Dark Elf or Wanderer spears. Even the Wizards can just be human ones.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I'm planning to use my 30 Glade Guard as Shadow Warriors.  They can't really be mistaken for Glade Guard if Glade Guard no longer exist, can they.  Still not sure if I'll use my Dragonblades as Drakespawn yet, though - I'm not feeling the connection at the moment.

Mercenary Blood Knights, you know you want to. 🧛‍♂️😉

• Haha 1

It is sad to see the Order Draconis go. It had a way cooler gameplay than serpentis and used to show up in tournaments.

Sepentis lacks the Noble equivalent model and the Alpha Strike options.

I wish they had kept Dragon, Dragon Blades and the Noble instead of the Dark Elf counterpart.  Also there was 2 Wizard options on the High Elf dragon, with way cooler spells than the Sorceress

5 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

I wish they had kept Dragon, Dragon Blades and the Noble instead of the Dark Elf counterpart.  Also there was 2 Wizard options on the High Elf dragon, with way cooler spells than the Sorceress

Even though I've always preferred High Elves, I'd riot if they removed drakespawn instead of dragonblades ; )

On 9/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, Double Misfire said:

All of the Eldritch Council and Swifthawk Agents units (bar Shadow Warriors, who we're not ever sure are still Swifthawk Agents) have been discontinued ahead of the Cities of Sigmar launch. It's very sad news, but the silver lining is that if you still own any Swifthawk of Eldritch Council models, then High/Dark/Wood Elves are all pretty interchangeable, and most discontinued stuff is still very usable in a Cities of Sigmar force.

Shameless plug, but if it's any use to you, I've written a two part article on the subject, with suggestions on how to use every human, dwarf and elf unit discontinued by GW from the recent stuff to the 1980s in a Cities of Sigmar army:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in_26.html

Shadow Warriors are now Shadowblades according to the Shadow Warriors  warscroll in the GW website.

1 hour ago, chord said:

I have a Drakeseer and lore master I would ally into my stormcast army.  Suggestions for using them as other things?  The dragon is red and was pro painted so I don't want to strip it.  The lore master I don't mind stripping. 

For both it's either sorceress on a dragon on one of the Stormcasts' own monsters. Tauralon is the best fit size-wise.

1 hour ago, dekay said:

For both it's either sorceress on a dragon on one of the Stormcasts' own monsters. Tauralon is the best fit size-wise.

Thx the sorceress was what I was thinking but honestly not a good fit with stormcast.  Guess I'll have to get rid of them 😔

7 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Every thing is still usable. Just because its not i. Cities of Sigmar doesn't make it vanish from the ghb, so there should be no problem using things as allies, either in CoS or other order factions. That might change with next year's ghb, but we should hopefully have legends points by then by the sounds of it!

True but most legends can't be allied with non-legend armies

11 hours ago, dekay said:

Even though I've always preferred High Elves, I'd riot if they removed drakespawn instead of dragonblades ; )

Sorry 😀

I had to laugh at the mental image of the (probably justified) 1 man riot trying to explain the reason for the riot to the Police that just pepper sprayed and tased the single rioter 

“See there’s this game and.... Ahh Ahh!”  Zizzt zizzt zizzt zizzt

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, chord said:

I have a Drakeseer and lore master I would ally into my stormcast army.  Suggestions for using them as other things?  The dragon is red and was pro painted so I don't want to strip it.  The lore master I don't mind stripping. 

Loremaster is perfect for a battlemage

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Thiagoma said:

It is sad to see the Order Draconis go. It had a way cooler gameplay than serpentis and used to show up in tournaments.

Sepentis lacks the Noble equivalent model and the Alpha Strike options.

it is a pity they never made plastic versions of these:

51lvflApi3L.jpg

51W2ViSKpFL.jpg

• Like 1