AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Hello people, I've got a couple of questions I'd like to hear your opinions on.

First off, is it viable to not run any healing in an Ossiarch list at all?
I don't like to run special characters, and I'm not too keen on the Boneshaper or Harvester. Can't we make up for not having any healing with all the other great stuff in OBR? Do we really need it?

Second off, what do you think about swords vs spears for Kavalos in the battalion?
I was planning on running two units of 10 with spears in Petrifex, and then have "Empower Nadirite Weapons" on a Soulmason. That sounds like it could be worth it in the battalion, but the swords would also be oh-so-good in Petrifex.

Appreciate your thoughts.

7 minutes ago, GDD said:

I don't like to run special characters, and I'm not too keen on the Boneshaper or Harvester. Can't we make up for not having any healing with all the other great stuff in OBR? Do we really need it?

Second off, what do you think about swords vs spears for Kavalos in the battalion?
I was planning on running two units of 10 with spears in Petrifex, and then have "Empower Nadirite Weapons" on a Soulmason. That sounds like it could be worth it in the battalion, but the swords would also be oh-so-good in Petrifex.

Have to test the viable.  I think it may but, but we'll have to see.

As for swords vs spears on the horses, swords are better math-wise.  The native -1 rend on swords is still better on the charge than the +1 to explode on the spears.

2 hours ago, GDD said:

From a numbers perspective, spears are better than swords when fighting in 3 rows. In 10 man squads, you'll rarely if ever be fighting 3 deep, so when taking MSU, swords are optimal. However, if the only rule you care about is the rule of cool then follow your heart on which weapon to model. I for one think spears look way the best.

17 minutes ago, firtahl said:

From a numbers perspective, spears are better than swords when fighting in 3 rows. In 10 man squads, you'll rarely if ever be fighting 3 deep, so when taking MSU, swords are optimal. However, if the only rule you care about is the rule of cool then follow your heart on which weapon to model. I for one think spears look way the best.

I think they were just talking about the cavalry.  But for mortek guard i'm pretty unsure of how big of squads we should optimally go for. Seems most are taking either squads of 10 or 20.

11 minutes ago, Mikelomba said:

Can you use the batallion from beast box in matched games?

Reviving a morghast per turn could be a thing

It has a points cost, and i believe someone posted something from the FAQ that indicated that you could use those kinds of battalions in matched games

There's a new Mind of Mengel article on warhammer community with a tutorial on doing crematorians style dark bone with internal glow.  Pink instead of read, but technique is the same regardless.  Here's a quick test model I did in greens:

artflow_201911061914.png.7c84d9de84dd07828ab812f131a18829.pngartflow_201911061913.png.4559b3724722bd56d1918116813bb041.png

Less of a hassle than I expected it to be.  Relatively happy with the results, which are pretty close to some of the photo edit mockups I posted earlier in the thread.  Though I might redo the soul gem black and the armor dark green

Here's a link to the guide:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/06/from-the-mind-of-mengel-mortek-guard-iigw-homepage-post-4/

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Sception said:

There's a new Mind of Mengel article on warhammer community with a tutorial on doing crematorians style dark bone with internal glow.  Pink instead of read, but technique is the same regardless.  Here's a quick test model I did in greens:

artflow_201911061914.png.7c84d9de84dd07828ab812f131a18829.pngartflow_201911061913.png.4559b3724722bd56d1918116813bb041.png

Less of a hassle than I expected it to be.  Relatively happy with the results, which are pretty close to some of the photo edit mockups I posted earlier in the thread.  Though I might redo the soul gem black and the armor dark green

Here's a link to the guide:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/06/from-the-mind-of-mengel-mortek-guard-iigw-homepage-post-4/

Looks good, but I would recommend that you paint the base a different color so that the model stand south from the base instead of blending in

22 minutes ago, Emissary said:

Looks good, but I would recommend that you paint the base a different color so that the model stand south from the base instead of blending in

The base still gets another drybrush, & most of it covered in patches of snow.

10 hours ago, choocheelo said:

i dont know something? I cant imagine that terrain, where i can hide morghasts.

Custom made one of course. And I've been talking about hiding Stalkers, since Archai are less vulnerable and faster than Stalkers are they don't really need to hide

9 hours ago, GDD said:

I think you can, especially in Kavalos-heavy lists. On the other hand healing your heroes and ressurecting unit Hekatos' can be very usefull (I imagine some people might start including "slay choosen model" mechanics to counter OBR) 

That is a tough one since I'm going to apply my vision of how I want to build my army, I probably want 15 Kavalos with spears and at least have 20 total. So I could magnetise 5 of them and run 1 unit with swords and 1 with spears in a list like yours and chose targets with them - swords against better saves, spears against bigger numbers. Or I could magnetise 10 and run 2 units with spears and charge with them one unit at a time, at full strenght with all buffs. Than once they start taking casualties - use the unit with most models to recive buffs and the 2nd one to charge weaker targets.

Another possible way is to go ham on spears and bring a unit of 15 with them, saving some points and a unit of 5 with swords that will go on it's own.

7 hours ago, firtahl said:

I love the spears look on the guards but find them akward on the riders. No dynamism.

10 minutes ago, christophe said:

Blue glow blue armor could be the problem, maybe something more greenish or purple ?

I have been slightly concerned it could potentially be too much blue, yeah 

Edit: I tried a different way of doing the glow and it seems to pop a bit more now, so im a bit happier!

IMG_20191107_001522.jpg

Edited by Arcian
  • Like 1

Apologies if this has already been asked, lots of comments to have to read through on this thread. So the harvesters ability to resurrect models. Can it only bring back single wound models in most cases? 

The ability triggers on a 4+ when a model dies. 1-4 wounds is a single wound. So is it useless for bringing back Stalkers? 

Also, is there any way to bring back slain Stalkers? 

Screenshot_20191107_063856.jpg

2 minutes ago, Souleater said:

What if ten one wound models were slain, and you passed, say, six of the rolls - could you then bring back a Morghast?

The rule does seem written to allow that.

No, it doesn't work like that. Each time you roll - it's a separate roll and you check what model you can ressurect for each separate roll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GDD said:

I think it is absolutely viable to run without healing, it is not a core part of the reapers at all like it is with LoN. It is more like a happy coincidence and after effect than something to build for I think. If you want to focus on healing however Arkhan is your guy, the 6" range on the boneshaper is somewhat limited but nice to have.

Harvesters should be brought for doing damage and then healing, it is a 200 point monster and needs to be bringing the pain to be worth it.

As for spears vs swords, swords are stronger in the most situations by far, and as petrifex getting them to rend 2 on an important charge makes them even more reliable. Especially for the riders, even in a unit of 10 you can get +3" pile in too, so getting them all into range is even easier and the swords still do more damage than spears even on the charge. 

For Mortek MU is 100% swords. For 20 it is a bit so so, from what I can see spears are only ahead in a 20 man unit when nearly all can fight and even then, as soon as you begin losing a couple of guys swords will just rise in value. If I ever run 30-40 man blobs then yea spears for sure, but I don't really see myself doing that.

1 hour ago, XReN said:

Volkmortian's battalion and by killing 10+ wound models near Harvesters

I didnt get feast of bones, do you maybe know what the rules , requirements and points are for the Volkmortian batalion?

Edited by Dracan