AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

1 hour ago, Heijoshin said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does the latest Designer Commentary now mean that the Immortis Guard can't benefit from the Reinforce Battle Shield spell too, despite having Nadirite Battle Shields??

Here it is: 

Q: Can Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis, benefit from the ‘Reinforce Battle-shields’ spell?
A: No, the ‘Shields’ in this rule refer to the weapon option for Mortek Guard and Kavalos Deathriders units.

This is confusing....

The spell refers to "shields" and "nadirite battle-shields".  Mortek Guard and Kavalos Deathriders have "shields".  Immortis Guard, Liege Kavalos, and Arch-Kavalos Zandtos have "nadirite battle-shields".  Those are the units that can benefit from the spell.

This answer doesn't change that, it only clarifies that when the spell refers to "shields" it means the specific equipment named "shields", not just any shield at all.  Katakros is equipped with "the Shield Immortis", which conceptually is 'a shield', but is not the specific equipment item named "shields" and so does not qualify to be targeted by the spell according to this answer.

Nothing has changed.

1 hour ago, Heijoshin said:

There is also the Arch Liege Kavalos Zandtos (probably spelt his name wrong) 

Thanks! Completely missed him! On an initial read of the book I wrote him off as just a liege that can't take trait or item, but that command ability is lovely if you are running Praetorians. The wound roll is the one bit of Mortek Guard that is less than great.

If you’re talking about the spell, the word directly before 5+ is *ummodified*, so that is pretty clear.

if you’re talking about the spears on the Cavalry it is a little less clear, but I would agree with the above reasoning for it being only unmodified 5s and 6s 

45 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Anyone who wanna guess what top table lists are gonna be like? 😊 

I‘m gonna play this list in a local tournament soon: 

Petrifex

Arkhan

Liege Kavalos, General, Godbone

Soulmason, Gothizzar Cartouche

30 Mortek Guard

2x5 Kavalos

2 Mortek Crawler

Kavalos Battalion

Bone Tithe Shrieker

100% winrate so far, with the Mortek Crawler being the most efficient so far (tried the same core list but with morghasts/ immortis guard before)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

I‘m gonna play this list in a local tournament soon: 

Petrifex

Arkhan

Liege Kavalos, General, Godbone

Soulmason, Gothizzar Cartouche

30 Mortek Guard

2x5 Kavalos

2 Mortek Crawler

Kavalos Battalion

Bone Tithe Shrieker

100% winrate so far, with the Mortek Crawler being the most efficient so far (tried the same core list but with morghasts/ immortis guard before)

How're you liking the kavalos in that list?

4 minutes ago, Arcian said:

How're you liking the kavalos in that list?

tbh they are probably the best unit in the book and i‘ve considered playing 2x 10, but i didnt like the aesthetics of whats left after that. 

Even 5 of them were enough to contest objectices on weaker flanks and they are so incredibly fast

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Phasteon said:

tbh they are probably the best unit in the book and i‘ve considered playing 2x 10, but i didnt like the aesthetics of whats left after that. 

Even 5 of them were enough to contest objectices on weaker flanks and they are so incredibly fast

They do seem pretty strong! I picked up five, thinking about getting more if I like them after using them soon.

What i'm thinking of running is

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soulmason

20 mortek guard
20 mortek guard
5 deathriders

Harvester
Harvester
Crawler

Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I imagine it'll be pretty alright.

3 minutes ago, Arcian said:

They do seem pretty strong! I picked up five, thinking about getting more if I like them after using them soon.

What i'm thinking of running is

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soulmason

20 mortek guard
20 mortek guard
5 deathriders

Harvester
Harvester
Crawler

Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I imagine it'll be pretty alright.

I dont know about the Harvesters tbh, are they really as good as they look on paper? 

I did not lose enough Mortek Guards so far to feel that i need the resurrection and i feel like the Crawlers really help against those synergy pieces 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

I dont know about the Harvesters tbh, are they really as good as they look on paper? 

I did not lose enough Mortek Guards so far to feel that i need the resurrection and i feel like the Crawlers really help against those synergy pieces 

I actually haven't had a chance to deploy them yet (I just really like the models) but from what I've read on here they tend to do pretty well!

6 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

How many games? Of those, how many are based on holding multiple objectives?

They are all kinda based on holding multiple objectives but i dont know if I want to discuss deeper tactics with someone who doesnt see the obvious reason behind bubblewrapping things 😛  

Joke aside, I need more practice games but so far the list performed „rock solid“ hehe, you know because of petrifex.. oh I think i‘m done for today xD

5 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Oh, I see the reason for wrapping, just not how it actually plays out on the table.

You basically deny charges on key targets or make it so that if they charge they get surrounded and killed for that. 

And as mentioned above it doesnt keep you from moving as you just need a U-form wide enough for the model you want to wrap to just fit. 

Core mechanic imo

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

You still have the sentence "unmodified" in front. It just changes from 6 to 5 or better but still unmodified

Yeah i just double checked it. Lots of new rules to learn, its quite unusual since its either worded unmodified 6 or X+ in other rules where + (or higher) means it can be modified. 

What a shame, no 2+ exploding hits for spear kavalos riders then, but 4+ will suffice. 

5 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Yeah i just double checked it. Lots of new rules to learn, its quite unusual since its either worded unmodified 6 or X+ in other rules where + (or higher) means it can be modified. 

What a shame, no 2+ exploding hits for spear kavalos riders then, but 4+ will suffice. 

I take it you took spears over swords on your deathriders?

12 minutes ago, Arcian said:

I take it you took spears over swords on your deathriders?

I took 1 unit with spears to make use of retreat and charge from the battalion (-1 rend from petrifex is sufficient) and 1 unit with swords to operate on their own or to screen so i can get a countercharge. Or to break really defensive units. 

And mostly because of optics, wanted to have both. 

• Like 1

Anyone have new thoughts on Immortis after some potential playtime? I recall there being some comparison discussion previously between them and Stalkers for damage\defense but.. I can't shake the idea of running 1x6 of them in a particular list I'm theory-crafting.

Depending on your RDP availability and how dedicated you are to obliterating a unit, you could be looking at getting 18 Halberd attacks on 2(rr1's)\3\-3\2 damage and another 18 Shield attacks on 3(rr1's)\3\-1\1 damage with a chance at MW's... and spend another RDP to hit with the Shields again. I dunno, I just feel we may be sleeping on them in certain setups as Petrifex is giving them the above and a 2+ save on top of still being an additional FNP to a Hero if needed. Curious on others thoughts as the simple mathhammer damage seems great. And yeah, I suppose you could just take more Guard and get a similar effect, but I'm sure someone could break down that comparison further.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2