AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

11 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Heroic Actions:

Necromantic Mastery: Mortisan only. If first spell cast by mortisan hero is a success, it can not be unbound

That is some serious bacon wrapped around a kid’s neck to get the family pet to play with him.

My casual play just got boosted. This might be the push to finally try OBR in Path to Glory.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, That Guy said:

The last one actually also works in the opponents combat phase, which allows us to really mess with their fight order. Mir Kainan, Katakros and both Liege-Kavalos all like that one a lot I think.

iirc our heroes are still restricted to only issueing a single command per phase (apart from maybe nagash and his signature ability), and as such I doubt Katakros or the Liege's will often want to issue 'fight after me' instead of '+1 attack' in the combat phase.

Still a nice option for mir kainan, though.  That guy just keeps on building up his resume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played a couple of games this weekend against an OBR player, the catapult did okay, but even when he was shooting my skeleton and graveguard who have a 5+ save, an all out defense mitigated the damage a fair bit. 

I think it's nice to have a pressure piece that your opponent is forced to play around, but it's so swingy, like a mobile ossified slot machine.

Hello fellow Bone Constructs,

I recently purchased the Battlebox Bone-Tithe Echelon to get started in OBR. I also bought a Liege Kavalos and 1box of Deathriders. I'm a big fan of Katakros and would really like to build a list towards Mortis Praetorian. Do you guys have any advice on where to go from there with the units I bought? Probably another box of Mortek and Katakros? Any advice is appreciated, thank you :)

Edited by Jabbuk

Just got a box of 20 mortek guard, anybody else struggle not to build them with swords? spears just look so much cooler... but the no rend sucks!! Is there anyway I can get spears to work in a competitive list as I do plan to take the army to a tournament. Dont' care about winning it all but just being competitive....

5 hours ago, nine7six said:

Just got a box of 20 mortek guard, anybody else struggle not to build them with swords? spears just look so much cooler... but the no rend sucks!! Is there anyway I can get spears to work in a competitive list as I do plan to take the army to a tournament. Dont' care about winning it all but just being competitive....

You could get 1-2 more boxes and make a unit of 30. Spears will actually benefit them because they'll be super crowded. But personally I only build swords. I do like the style of their swords too, but I would like to have a better reason to get spears though. I'd love to see some anti-charge shenanigans with them for example. 

8 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Hello fellow Bone Constructs,

I recently purchased the Battlebox Bone-Tithe Echelon to get started in OBR. I also bought a Liege Kavalos and 1box of Deathriders. I'm a big fan of Katakros and would really like to build a list towards Mortis Praetorian. Do you guys have any advice on where to go from there with the units I bought? Probably another box of Mortek and Katakros? Any advice is appreciated, thank you :)

Honestly you can go many ways. Since you want to go Mortis Praetorians, i suggest going for Kainan's Reapers. If you play underworlds you can double dip with the warband, but he also hits like a truck ingame. Since you already have the Kavalos and want Katakros, 1 extra catapult is an option. With the save stacking nowadays, it's harder to get through their saves, but in some cases they are great for hammering down critical targets. Pick up a Soulmason though. Soul Guide doesn't seem like much, but if you can cast it on catapults + liege/katakros command ability + 1A that is nice. It's also technically a 3 cast minor hero, which is very solid. You want a lot of mortek with praetorians, minimum 40, maybe sometimes 50-60 even. IMO, Harbingers Morghasts with Halberds are one of our most solid hammer units. The 3D6 charge counters redeploy, which we are weak against(no re-roll charges for us, besides bloodthirsty Triumph), they are also rather choppy with their hard hitting attacks and high rend. Great unit! Everything is better in Petrifex at the moment, but Praetorians are solid too. You could also consider more stalkers, similar role as the Morghast. 

• LOVE IT! 2

14 hours ago, That Guy said:

Honestly you can go many ways. Since you want to go Mortis Praetorians, i suggest going for Kainan's Reapers. If you play underworlds you can double dip with the warband, but he also hits like a truck ingame. Since you already have the Kavalos and want Katakros, 1 extra catapult is an option. With the save stacking nowadays, it's harder to get through their saves, but in some cases they are great for hammering down critical targets. Pick up a Soulmason though. Soul Guide doesn't seem like much, but if you can cast it on catapults + liege/katakros command ability + 1A that is nice. It's also technically a 3 cast minor hero, which is very solid. You want a lot of mortek with praetorians, minimum 40, maybe sometimes 50-60 even. IMO, Harbingers Morghasts with Halberds are one of our most solid hammer units. The 3D6 charge counters redeploy, which we are weak against(no re-roll charges for us, besides bloodthirsty Triumph), they are also rather choppy with their hard hitting attacks and high rend. Great unit! Everything is better in Petrifex at the moment, but Praetorians are solid too. You could also consider more stalkers, similar role as the Morghast. 

Thank you, that's very valuable. I see Mir Kainan coming back very often on these boards. When I build a list with Katakros and Soulmason, I seem to run out of points to put both Liege and Mir Kainan. I don't have an extended knowledge of the faction so I'm not sure if I lose to much by not including a Liege Kavalos, if I go the Mir Kainan way? Would anyone care to share their view on the value of either?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Thank you, that's very valuable. I see Mir Kainan coming back very often on these boards. When I build a list with Katakros and Soulmason, I seem to run out of points to put both Liege and Mir Kainan. I don't have an extended knowledge of the faction so I'm not sure if I lose to much by not including a Liege Kavalos, if I go the Mir Kainan way? Would anyone care to share their view on the value of either?

The value of Mir Kainan lies in multiple reasons. For one, by spending your points on him, you also get Kainan’s Reapers as a seperate unit for free. So the points you pay for him also include his retinue. His retinue is very solid as well. Although only 5 man big, most of them have nadirite weapons(some of them hopefully released in future kits or as weapon upgrade sprues for mortek). The key thing about his retinue however is as long as you have a shield dude in there, they get to benefit from re-rolls to save. It’s a free shield wall. Use them on an objective somewhere. 

Now when it comes to Mir Kainan himself. He is a very solid damage dealer with a solid statline, but when you roll those 6’s you deal a metric ton of mortal wounds. Normally only your wizards can deal mortals for you. And that segways me into the next point. He is in fact a wizard himself! That’s right. Take protection of Nagash on him and teleport shenanigan towards key objectives during the game and together with katakros you’ll be nearly undying in a Mortis Praetorian list and the 2+ to hit will be nice too. You can always mystic shield as well if you have the chance and in cover you’ll be at a 3+ Save vs rend 2 attacks. Devastating! 

In terms of the Liege, he is great with catapults mostly and whenever you want +1 attack on a blob of mortek, just know that in case of Petrifex Elite, you rather use bludgeon when you attack for the rend -2 or when you get attacked shield wall(especially in Mortis Praetorians where your save tends to always be +1 because of Katakros). When it comes to Mortis praetorians your liege command ability +1A is a nice one to combine with counter attack as well, if you get charged. Currently both heroes have merit with the new command ability Unflinching coordination in which you can pick another unit to fight with right after a hero fought. Just know... this happens in a combat phase, meaning you can't shield wall, bludgeon or endless duty with that unit. Unflinching coordination can be devastating when you use it smart though. 

Edited by That Guy
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, That Guy said:

The value of Mir Kainan lies in multiple reasons. For one, by spending your points on him, you also get Kainan’s Reapers as a seperate unit for free. So the points you pay for him also include his retinue. His retinue is very solid as well. Although only 5 man big, most of them have nadirite weapons(some of them hopefully released in future kits or as weapon upgrade sprues for mortek). The key thing about his retinue however is as long as you have a shield dude in there, they get to benefit from re-rolls to save. It’s a free shield wall. Use them on an objective somewhere. 

Now when it comes to Mir Kainan himself. He is a very solid damage dealer with a solid statline, but when you roll those 6’s you deal a metric ton of mortal wounds. Normally only your wizards can deal mortals for you. And that segways me into the next point. He is in fact a wizard himself! That’s right. Take protection of Nagash on him and teleport shenanigan towards key objectives during the game and together with katakros you’ll be nearly undying in a Mortis Praetorian list and the 2+ to hit will be nice too. You can always mystic shield as well if you have the chance and in cover you’ll be at a 3+ Save vs rend 2 attacks. Devastating! 

In terms of the Liege, he is great with catapults mostly and whenever you want +1 attack on a blob of mortek, just know that in case of Petrifex Elite, you rather use bludgeon when you attack for the rend -2 or when you get attacked shield wall(especially in Mortis Praetorians where your save tends to always be +1 because of Katakros). When it comes to Mortis praetorians your liege command ability +1A is a nice one to combine with counter attack as well, if you get charged. Currently both heroes have merit with the new command ability Unflinching coordination in which you can pick another unit to fight with right after a hero fought. Just know... this happens in a combat phase, meaning you can't shield wall, bludgeon or endless duty with that unit. Unflinching coordination can be devastating when you use it smart though. 

That is REALLY insightful. Thank you so much. You've made an excellent point for both, lol. I still can't choose, haha.

• Like 1

Fair enough.  There's tons of factions that have been waiting longer or with model ranges in greater need of expansion.  If it were up to me, FEC at the least would also be getting new rules & models before us.

A longer wait gives them more time to brainstorm a version of our core gimmicks that works better with 3e's core rules, and gives Nagash & Arckan sufficient narrative cooldown time that the OBR book can be used to bring back one or both without cheapening their defeat in Broken Realms.

1 hour ago, Sception said:

Fair enough.  There's tons of factions that have been waiting longer or with model ranges in greater need of expansion.  If it were up to me, FEC at the least would also be getting new rules & models before us.

A longer wait gives them more time to brainstorm a version of our core gimmicks that works better with 3e's core rules, and gives Nagash & Arckan sufficient narrative cooldown time that the OBR book can be used to bring back one or both without cheapening their defeat in Broken Realms.

Yeah, to be fair, I mean I understand that everyone likes to have their armies up-to-date and competitive, but OBR has had some real nice treatments compared to at least half a dozen other factions that just feel dated as all hell, some of which were also kinda dated in 2.0 last year. Khorne, Skaven, NH (now getting updated), FEC, Sylvaneth, etc. Just an opinion, however. I could be wrong.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nine7six said:

does deathless warriors and reinforce battleshields stack so I get a 5+/6+ against mortal wounds? or do I have to choose the best save? I'm facing a friend with stormcast dragons and trying to figure out how to handle them..

No, you don't get to ward roll twice per wound suffered. Since it's an older book their wording is not perfectly up to date with 3.0, but reinforce battleshields basically provide you with  a 5+ ward against mortal wounds. When 2 wards trigger at the same time that effects your ward roll, you must choose. So you pick your ward of 5+ against mortal wounds and get your 6+ward against normal wounds.  As per errata i quote:

14.3 – Wards Replace the paragraph with the following: ‘Some abilities allow you to roll a dice to negate a wound or mortal wound. Abilities of this type are referred to as wards, and the dice roll is referred to as a ward roll. Unless stated otherwise, the ward roll is made before the wound is allocated to the model in question. Up to 1 ward roll can be made for each wound or mortal wound. If the ward roll is successful, the wound or mortal wound is negated and has no effect on the model.’

• Thanks 1

Here is a list I plan on using today. How do you guys think it will do? 

- Army Faction: Ossiarch Bonereapers

- Subfaction: Petrifex Elite

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumph: Inspired

LEADERS

Arkhan the Black (360)*

Liege-Kavalos (185)*

- General

- Command Traits: Mighty Archaeossian

- Artefacts of Power: Godbone Armour

Mir Kainan (190)*

- Spells: Drain Vitality

BATTLELINE

5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)*

20 x Mortek Guard (280)**

10 x Mortek Guard (140)**

BEHEMOTH

1 x Gothizzar Harvester (215)*

OTHER

2 x Morghast Harbingers (185)

3 x Necropolis Stalkers (180)

5 x Kainan's Reapers (190)*

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TERRAIN

1 x Bone-tithe Nexus (0)

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Battle Regiment

- **Hunters of the Heartlands

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

Edited by SilverJelly
  • Like 1

Hi folks! need some help. just bought immortis guard\stalkers on sprues. but without instructions. maybe someone have papers and can make photos of how to assemble hands and weapons and shields for the immortis, looks like reddit branch doesnt have any 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:08 AM, SilverJelly said:

Here is a list I plan on using today. How do you guys think it will do? 

- Army Faction: Ossiarch Bonereapers

- Subfaction: Petrifex Elite

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumph: Inspired

LEADERS

Arkhan the Black (360)*

Liege-Kavalos (185)*

- General

- Command Traits: Mighty Archaeossian

- Artefacts of Power: Godbone Armour

Mir Kainan (190)*

- Spells: Drain Vitality

BATTLELINE

5 x Kavalos Deathriders (190)*

20 x Mortek Guard (280)**

10 x Mortek Guard (140)**

BEHEMOTH

1 x Gothizzar Harvester (215)*

OTHER

2 x Morghast Harbingers (185)

3 x Necropolis Stalkers (180)

5 x Kainan's Reapers (190)*

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TERRAIN

1 x Bone-tithe Nexus (0)

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Battle Regiment

- **Hunters of the Heartlands

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

I like your list, it’s nicely balanced. You play to the strengths of our army and offset it’s weaknesses with the stalkers, morghasts and Kainan. Normally i would say you are a bit light on mortek, but you also have the Kainan’s Reapers to compensate for that. I think you play 1 of our stronger lists now. 1 thing you could consider is dropping the lifeswarm for the nightmare predator, if you want some additional mortal wound output. The healing is already pretty solid with the Gothizzar and Arkhan, but it’s not a bad pick either. I guess you could try both. The predator would give you some more offensive power, the lifeswarm more defensive.

1 hour ago, Nezermoar said:

Hi folks! need some help. just bought immortis guard\stalkers on sprues. but without instructions. maybe someone have papers and can make photos of how to assemble hands and weapons and shields for the immortis, looks like reddit branch doesnt have any 

423F56E2-2E53-40FE-B49F-DA31D6F68617.jpeg.35bbb0a600532bdfa4efce683efbd69b.jpeg

Edited by That Guy

2 hours ago, Nezermoar said:

I've attached what GW sent me when I wanted to build my feast of bones minis as immortis guard.

99120207081 - Necropolis Stalkers.pdf

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, nine7six said:

Yes.  I built one mortek unit and a couple kavalos units with spears because I just couldn't not do so, despite the rules.

Rend was definitely the wrong trade off for reach, though.  If the spears had a worse hit or wound it would actually be a consideration. As is, though... the spears look so good, but the're just kind of sad.