The Rumour Thread

31 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Are the lotr scenery pieces a good scale compared to AoS?

Edit: nvm they are crazy expensive compared to Warcry sets.

And smaller. Only Grots are allowed in that city.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Likewise I can see maneaters, firebelly, slaughtermaster and yhetees being canned.

Frost sabres could potentially be in that list too, but there's a cat in one of the underworlds warbands, so that could be a sign they're being revamped.

I'm not sure if they'll update gluttons/leadbelchers/ironguts either.

If they do, and the new designs look closer to the bloodpelt hunter, then they'd potentially have to redo the beastclaw stuff too, as the riders are quite similar to current gutbusters.

Yehtees getting canned would suck major Everwinter!! Theyre one of the minis Im most looking forward to being updated.

Gluttons, Leadbelchers and Ironguts. Need. Updating.

Theyre in rank and file still and they just dont do the lore justice, exactly the same position that Saurus Warriors were in. Apart from the posing the scale is all off with scale creep. How can a Fyreslayer Duardin be shoulder height with a 10ft monster?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I've been mulling over the "rumours" regarding Warcry and Underworlds. My initial reaction is that I like them as systems and think they have provided a lot of cool minis. However, I am not completely opposed to Warcry or Underworlds (Or both) wrapping up at some point. 

They could be returned to in the future but I don't think it is a terrible idea for GW to shake up its "Side games" if it allows them to explore a new setting/system. 

Edited by Hollow

3 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Yehtees getting canned would suck major Everwinter!! Theyre one of the minis Im most looking forward to being updated.

Gluttons, Leadbelchers and Ironguts. Need. Updating.

Theyre in rank and file still and they just dont do the lore justice, exactly the same position that Saurus Warriors were in. Apart from the posing the scale is all off with scale creep. How can a Fyreslayer Duardin be shoulder height with a 10ft monster?

The Fyreslayer drank a lot of Magmadroth milk.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I've been mulling over the "rumours" regarding Warcry and Underworlds. My initial reaction is that I like them as systems and think they have provided a lot of cool minis. However, I am not completely opposed to Warcry or Underworlds (Or both) wrapping up at some point. 

They could be returned to in the future but I don't think it is a terrible idea for GW to shake up its "Side games" if it allows them to explore a new setting/system. 

As long as they are not removed to launch something similar for 40k as one of the rumours said...

I wouldn't hate them using Warcry/Underworlds or a similar type of game how they do for 40k. Create some unique units that might not warrant a special release, like the Night Lords, and also use it to update individual old units, like Striking Scorpions. That way we can still have some fun and cool stuff in a small skirmish game, but create overlap for the larger game too. It was fun to see the Night Lords for KT, and unexpected. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

Are the lotr scenery pieces a good scale compared to AoS?

Edit: nvm they are crazy expensive compared to Warcry sets.

I swear a bundle for just the non-ruined buildings seemed to exist, though the Ruined City of Gondor should give one pretty much all the terrain they could need to start playing wargames. Two would be overkill, and give you a stupid amount of options.... for >$600

The figures displayed are on 28mm bases, though the scale of LotR trends closer to "truescale" stuff like Perry Miniatures' humans rather than the chonky 28 of stuff like steelhelms. Personally I like my human miniatures being a little on the shrimpy side since it makes everything nonhuman look more threatening by comparison, and "short" stuff like goblins still are "short" by comparison.

If you're eyeing the staircases and balconies, it'll be a tighter squeeze for some larger-based models. 

It's all artistic preference; I don't mind humans and their buildings being a bit on the smaller-scale side so I can fit more on a table. Stuff like the older Warhammer Townscape scratch builds hit the scale sweet-spot for me; big enough to look like a building and block LoS, but small and chonky enough that one or two can be "farm" and five or six could be "village" while still having room to move and maneuver.

Some prefer the DnD type approach where buildings are to-scale, big enough that things could believably hang out inside. I prefer to do some "gamey" handwaving, treating buildings like representations or set-pieces like they're often handled in RPG or RTS videogames: no one was walking between the buildings of Warcraft 3 cityscapes. All that to say LotR terrain is pretty (and expensive, now that the LakeTown House bundle is gone) and a little small, but the sort of thing I personally look for in Wargames terrain.

Edited by Pizzaprez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

As long as they are not removed to launch something similar for 40k as one of the rumours said...

I haven't read anything about warcry/UW rumours... Is the info in this thread?

With 40k 10th Edition launching in Summer 2023 and AoS 4th Edition launching in Summer 2024, I'd be surprised if GW doesn't have a "Tent-pole" game release planned for Summer 2025. 

Putting aside MESBG for a moment, the way I see it, is that Warhammer is divided into 2 main offerings. Sci-Fi and Fantasy. With A Tier 1 system (40k and AoS) Tier 2 system (The Horus Heresy and ToW) and Tier 3 systems (Kill Team, Necromunda, Quest, Legions Imperialis, Adeptus Titanicus, Warcry, Underworlds and Blood Bowl) 

It could be argued that Warcry has fulfilled its objective. It set out to detail various Chaos warbands battling it out across the 8 points. Whilst the game could be pivoted into something akin to Kill Team (offering more esoteric kits for AoS factions) I don't see a new season of Warcry being a "big summer release". 

This is purely speculative but I could see a 2025 release of something like Battlefleet Gothic to act as the big new release and Underworlds being retired to free up time and resources. 

At that point, (12 to 18 months from now) if it was a choice between continuing with yet another season of Warcry or the release of an entirely new game set in AoS, I would pick the later. 

Pure wishlist here - I'd like to see a very small-scale Gladitorial-type game using a circular gaming matt (To represent a fighting pit or colosseum) with Realm/Faction/City Champion kits of a similar scale/level as the 40k Primarch Kits.

(The Characters could also be used as an Auxiliary Unit in AoS Armies) 

3 minutes ago, Frodorowski said:

A couple of pages back I think it was mentioned. I don't say it is too reliable, but... it is there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frodorowski said:

Havent seen any from a reliable source so far.

I also cant see how pushing Spearhead has anything to do with Warcry or Underworlds. Warcry is a squad based skirmish game and Underwolds is a boardgame. Spearhead seems to be AoS light for people to get some games in easier with less investment. Like a stepping stone to AoS. So i dont buy the rumours about those 2 games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Havent seen any from a reliable source so far.

I also cant see how pushing Spearhead has anything to do with Warcry or Underworlds. Warcry is a squad based skirmish game and Underwolds is a boardgame. Spearhead seems to be AoS light for people to get some games in easier with less investment. Like a stepping stone to AoS. So i dont buy the rumours about those 2 games.

I might be the only one who sees Warcry and Spearheads as almost the same with different minis.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, novakai said:

They may simple do it if the design studio don’t like the current aesthetics of the Ogors though.

simply put i don’t think they will manage to replace all resin models if a refresh happens. There units like Yhetees and Firebellies that seem too far out from the design from the Gutbuster that they not important enough to get new models. 

Minimally they could just give Ogors a plastic Butcher, Maneaters from Warcry, discontinued all resin models when the next battletome comes out and that it until 5th edition.

GW wasn't putting out a steady trickle of High Elf models before we got LRL. We've seen the AoS version of the Tyrant, Hunter, Gorgers and (in UW) a Maneater and a Beastclaw Hunter/Cat. All the new models we've gotten are pretty much line with the classic Ogre aesthetic except maybe the Bloodpelt Hunter, and one could argue that he just has a weird head for whatever reason.

21 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I might be the only one who sees Warcry and Spearheads as almost the same with different minis.

Eh, Spearhead is like a pre-made deck version of tabletop for quick unit fights. Warcry is an atmospheric skirmish upon terrain with all kinds of crazy warbands & monsters thrown in that’s the evolution of AoS Skirmish where every model is a unit.

They have very clear different niches to eachother.

Anyway I don’t believe those rumors for one second(same as I didn’t believe all the doomers saying Endless Spells & Terrain were dead). GW keep giving valuable support and releases to both sidegames so I imagine it’d be a pretty drastic situation to pull the plug.

Also just matches too well for the AoS4 set-up which is focused on Aqshy & Ghyran.

Warcry:Hel Crown for the sidegame in the Realm of Fire portion.

UnderWorlds:Mosscairn for the sidegame in the Realm of Life area.

A lot just sounds like doomer clickbait because things are on a low swing right now and misery loves company.

31 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Pure wishlist here - I'd like to see a very small-scale Gladitorial-type game using a circular gaming matt (To represent a fighting pit or colosseum) with Realm/Faction/City Champion kits of a similar scale/level as the 40k Primarch Kits.

(The Characters could also be used as an Auxiliary Unit in AoS Armies) 

“Gorechosen:Ascended” would be pretty fun(and tie well into Khul’s narrative), NGL.

image.jpeg.73644ee188537f8730cb1dd229702ab5.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

Yes. 

It makes sense, honestly. We're at the point where they don't need to worry about adding any more random models to Warcry until the next edition.

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

The new terrain rules are going to lead to some... interesting scenarios.

1715284645952095.png

Hahaha! That’s a good point.

We’ll have to see how unique flyers are handled in AoS4.

NightHaunt are likely to have it baked into their Ethereal keyword/rule so they can interact with terrain normally.

Will be interesting if Gloomspite keep weird flyers just because how insane they are that a Boingrot is randomly jumping enough to be seen makes sense or if they get some kind of “Jump over the Loon” rule that’s let’s them fly over stuff(and I’d imagine interact with a certain Bad Moon power up) without the actual Fly keyword.

• Like 1

Aren't the new cover rules basically the same as how wildwoods worked already?  I thought they already had exceptions for flying units as part of their LoS blocking function, or is that just a broadly used local house rule?

21 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Eh, Spearhead is like a pre-made deck version of tabletop for quick unit fights. Warcry is an atmospheric skirmish upon terrain with all kinds of crazy warbands & monsters thrown in that’s the evolution of AoS Skirmish where every model is a unit.

They have very clear different niches to eachother.

Whilst I agree with you, I do see how "Head Office" might see significant overlap. It'll be interesting to see how Spearhead is supported once AoS 4th drops. I could see a world in which new Units are released in Faction spearhead boxes. 

7 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Whilst I agree with you, I do see how "Head Office" might see significant overlap. It'll be interesting to see how Spearhead is supported once AoS 4th drops. I could see a world in which new Units are released in Faction spearhead boxes. 

I could see that. It’s possible they may want to make more faction focused Warbands like Black Talons, Flameseekers, Command Corps & Wildercorps specifically for the main game now that things like a Companions Universal Rule can let them bake in more pet antics and they can just make skirmish focused battleplans.

However I still doubt it(also went back to check and this appears to be from Mr.Negative himself WoS Hastings. Best to remember he said Bloodbowl would be dead in 2021 & UnderWorlds gone in 2022. He’s got a horrid track record with side games for years now. Bob not much better)

12 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I mean new units would just be release by themselves individually like always?

combat patrols release have all been relatively the same 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, novakai said:

I mean new units would just be release by themselves individually like always?

Well, if you look at 40k, new heroes are being kidnapped in a 180€ box for months xD

Edited by Ragest
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Well, if you look at 40k, new heroes are being kidnapped in a 180€ box for months xD

Yes because I think that format replace the dual VS boxes and AoS probably will go the same path.

Example: if your getting a single foot hero you get a battletome release, a FOMO battleforce with your new foot hero, and a new spearhead.

if you have a decent model release you get a Fomo army box set with a early access battletome, and then a month later you get to buy the stuff individually.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 3