The Rumour Thread

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I dunno.... Itts mostly a dog with a bird head. I think I prefer the feathered neck of the older sculpts, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of variety. 

If you cropped the image for a tuesday preview I would have gone "look a wolf!"

image.png.a1afa6114810123e144de00137222d82.png

The weird eyeball thing (enslaver??) is cool, I like to see 40K expand outwards into new ideas and xenos races. If its not a necromunda piece, I wonder if its a "pet" accompaniment for some hero perhaps? 

Maybe Ruination chamber has more breeds of Raven wolf gryphhounds 

like how Extremis is more Dragon mounts and Vanguard like using Aetherwings and fast Bird mounts

Edited by novakai

16 minutes ago, Chikout said:

That gryph hound takes the Stormcast up to at least 21 minis including the leaked cover star. That's the same number of minis as Soul Wars and Dominion . The Skaven side is the big question mark. I think we might see a full unit of rat ogres with a  pack master or a master moulder.  We've heard rumours of a grey seer. Does that round out the Skaven side? 

I am not so sure that the cover dude would come in the box. Maybe he is the "named character" from the follow-up wave?

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I am not so sure that the cover dude would come in the box. Maybe he is the "named character" from the follow-up wave?

It’s definitely in the box. We’ve already seen a blurry picture of it. 8cf492253ca66887a16d444ab28e341d_103604.jpeg.e9a09f07d9e0935a4af32dc7c8df931f.jpeg

In any case there’s no way they release a box without a foot hero. 

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

It’s definitely in the box. We’ve already seen a blurry picture of it. 8cf492253ca66887a16d444ab28e341d_103604.jpeg.e9a09f07d9e0935a4af32dc7c8df931f.jpeg

Then we would have three. Makes sense if we think about previous editions. I just hope there's no scenery then... otherwise I see this box going to 250 € (Leviathan was 200 €).

Posted (edited)

Gryph-wolf is sick; lines up with the creepier gryph-mounts we saw

3 hours ago, AquaRegis said:

100%. This whole narrative felt like "this happens and then this happens, and then this random character reacts to this new thing that happened". 

The whole story of the crusades felt like a season of Red Dwarf with the characters stumbling into wacky highjinks every episode, while looking for something. There's also zero stakes, as the characters with models won't die, and when they fight generic enemy no.347 they will still survive it. As much of a mess as the End Times was, at least some named and established characters actually died early on, setting up the stakes. 

Abraxia will destroy Phonecium in DB6. Ok? After that she will have minimal presence in the story and Archaon will take over.

3 hours ago, MitGas said:

But isn‘t that exactly AoS? We always hear about the same 15 characters… as someone who likes their own characters or second-tier chars by GW more than the super-duper heroes, I think it would be cool to have more lore where average joes and janes fight, not always demigods vs. creatures of myths or superheroes vs supervillains. It‘s a bit boring to always resort to going back to ultra-powerful beings. I think old Warhammer had it more interesting, where you often read about some random general doing his best to save his underlings/city from some fierce orc warlord, beastmen or Chaos warrior but while all these people were mighty, they were far from super-powerful. 

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

This is an inherent problem with the entirety of Warhammer. It's a wargame with miniatures. The books are called campaign books because they describe a series of battles. Pretty much  all Warhammer campaigns have been about putting armies in situations where they have to fight but not to the point where any major characters die. GW tried to avoid this in early AoS by having characters without models taking centre stage. In the realm wars characters actually died, but people want models of their favourite characters and we're now facing the Gotrek problem. He's trying to seek his death but everyone knows he will never achieve it. Callis and Toll are basically immortal as long as their models are around. 

There are two major schools of thought with Warhammer narratives (both Fantasy and Sci Fi) where, with it being a setting in which people are actively encouraged to write up their own fan fiction factions, events, and histories

On one hand, you can set the nuclear clock to "ten minutes to midnight" and never touch it. The setting won't move forward, and anything "new" needs to be retconned as somehow "always existing, just hadn't been mentioned yet." This approach has some benefits: the setting is established, you know the apocalypse is coming, and you can pick anywhere in "history" to set Your Dudes. 

Famously, this approach backfired a few times in 40k. There was a particularly divisive Grey Knights release that invented all sorts of brand-new stuff for them and had to twist things into knots to explain why they suddenly had them. Fantasy sort of played with an "end times" with Storm of Magic, but GW lightly reset the clock there to right before Archaon's invasion again.

Short term, "your dudes" are not scrambling to "keep up" with a narrative. Long term, it created a situation where Abbadon was "just about" to go conquer everything in the year 40,000 and Archaon was set to do the same "very soon" in WHF. It was cool at first, but I got bored and after a few retcons of "the same timeline" I just wished the story moved

AoS and 40k are now in the opposite ship: both have sliding timelines with Main Characters now. BUT(!) the best way, imo, to engage with stuff like that is to not set your battles in the "protagonist" continents/planets and to not make "your dudes" so important. If you don't get horribly attached to something GW invents, what happens to that place in-canon doesn't really impact things: the stories are GW's characters and places, and your stories can be somewhere else!

For my own stuff, I picked a couple untouched corners of a few Realms, claimed they were linked by Realmgates, and set the story to be "after the GW narrative." My made-up city is old and established, My Dudes are very wrapped up in their own issues with their own opponents in their own little corner of the Realms. GW can blow up every city, set chaos ascendant, really mess up the Ghurish Highlands and I can say "wow! cool story and neat toys!" from my "narrative safe space" so far away on Ghyran that it doesn't have to "impact me."

I think being able to carve out a chunk of the world/galaxy for yourself is the appeal of these "moving timeline" narratives. I wouldn't personally get too invested in anyone GW invents, because they're GW's characters and they can run over them with a bus if they want to.

Each realm is multiple times the size of Earth with extremely long histories: it'd be crazy to think there is just one ghost on a boat mostly into drowning people

Edited by Pizzaprez
  • Like 10

29 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Then we would have three. Makes sense if we think about previous editions. I just hope there's no scenery then... otherwise I see this box going to 250 € (Leviathan was 200 €).

Not sure about your maths. What other heroes are you talking about? We got the big guy on the bird and the leaked cover star. That's all we know about so far unless you're counting the gryph hound. Also there's definitely scenery. It's been mentioned multiple times. 

16 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

Gryph-wolf is sick; lines up with the creepier gryph-mounts we saw

There are two major schools of thought with Warhammer narratives (both Fantasy and Sci Fi) where, with it being a setting in which people are actively encouraged to write up their own fan fiction factions, events, and histories

On one hand, you can set the nuclear clock to "ten minutes to midnight" and never touch it. The setting won't move forward, and anything "new" needs to be retconned as somehow "always existing, just hadn't been mentioned yet." This approach has some benefits: the setting is established, you know the apocalypse is coming, and you can pick anywhere in "history" to set Your Dudes. 

Famously, this approach backfired a few times in 40k. There was a particularly divisive Grey Knights release that invented all sorts of brand-new stuff for them and had to twist things into knots to explain why they suddenly had them. Fantasy sort of played with an "end times" with Storm of Magic, but GW lightly reset the clock there to right before Archaon's invasion again.

Short term, "your dudes" are not scrambling to "keep up" with a narrative. Long term, it created a situation where Abbadon was "just about" to go conquer everything in the year 40,000 and Archaon was set to do the same "very soon" in WHF. It was cool at first, but I got bored and after a few retcons of "the same timeline" I just wished the story moved

AoS and 40k are now in the opposite ship: both have sliding timelines with Main Characters now. BUT(!) the best way, imo, to engage with stuff like that is to not set your battles in the "protagonist" continents/planets and to not make "your dudes" so important. If you don't get horribly attached to something GW invents, what happens to that place in-canon doesn't really impact things: the stories are GW's characters and places, and your stories can be somewhere else!

For my own stuff, I picked a couple untouched corners of a few Realms, claimed they were linked by Realmgates, and set the story to be "after the GW narrative." My made-up city is old and established, My Dudes are very wrapped up in their own issues with their own opponents in their own little corner of the Realms. GW can blow up every city, set chaos ascendant, really mess up the Ghurish Highlands and I can say "wow! cool story and neat toys!" from my "narrative safe space" so far away on Ghyran that it doesn't have to "impact me."

I think being able to carve out a chunk of the world/galaxy for yourself is the appeal of these "moving timeline" narratives. I wouldn't personally get too invested in anyone GW invents, because they're GW's characters and they can run over them with a bus if they want to.

Each realm is multiple times the size of Earth with extremely long histories: it'd be crazy to think there is just one ghost on a boat mostly into drowning people

I very much so fall into the "your dudes" camp of warhammer lore: I enjoy creating my own characters and letting them loose onto my own branch of the setting. Case in point, my Soulblight army is lead by a kit bashed Tomb King on Dragon whose Dynasty has been tasked by Nagash to guard a mountain filled with tombs and forbidden magic since their underworld was founded (think Valley of the Kings, but Warhammer). The leader, one Arkhanatem had his mind and soul shattered during an attempted Soulblight Rebellion that cost him the life of his still mortal (grand)daughter, who was taken by Sigmar to be reforged. To my guy the grand narrative being created doesn't matter, all he cares about is that he was assigned a task and he will complete it no matter what.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I very much so fall into the "your dudes" camp of warhammer lore: I enjoy creating my own characters and letting them loose onto my own branch of the setting. Case in point, my Soulblight army is lead by a kit bashed Tomb King on Dragon whose Dynasty has been tasked by Nagash to guard a mountain filled with tombs and forbidden magic since their underworld was founded (think Valley of the Kings, but Warhammer). The leader, one Arkhanatem had his mind and soul shattered during an attempted Soulblight Rebellion that cost him the life of his still mortal (grand)daughter, who was taken by Sigmar to be reforged. To my guy the grand narrative being created doesn't matter, all he cares about is that he was assigned a task and he will complete it no matter what.

That's sick! I think the gargantuan scale of the Realms lend themselves perfectly to that. And, if we wanted to make Our Dudes fight, it is so easy to pretend one of us found a previously hidden realmgate to the other's domain. So cool. From where I was standing, one of the most intriguing parts of Dawnbringers was the general narrative beat of "the cities have become established enough to start colonizing"

For me, it was great that not every city needed to be "gargantuan stormcast campaigns to take back a position of strategic importance" to "still exist." The lore has opened more and more ways a city could have got started, and My Dudes having one big city and a net of interconnected dukedoms could exist much later with less mental hoop-jumping. The cult of the wheel is neat; maybe my city has a small enclave somewhere. If I want an aged priestess on a throne, I'll convert her to be a matriarch of my own design rather than the GW character herself

Edited by Pizzaprez
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, novakai said:

Space marines had three foot heroes in Leviathan 

SCE and Kruleboyz both also had three in Dominion 

I would say four in Leviathan, counting Captain, Librarian, Lieutenant, and Apothecary.

17 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Looks liek Necromunda to me

Yeah I think it's Necromunda and I'm guessing there is an Enslaver outbreak. I'm kind of hoping this is a reveal of the next edition of the game which will consolidate a lot of the rules. I've been meaning to get into it over the last few years but been put off due to the rules being all over the place (I know I don't need all the rules but it is off putting!).

Anyway, back to Age of Sigmar. I don't think we will get much now until later this week. I'm hoping we get a road map and a release date but I think it will be focused on the core box and showing off the rules. 

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Did someone say foot hero?
Q4nSmV7gIyNRpQJr.jpg
Sorry we are discussing Age of Sigmar:
99070207014_VampireLordLead.jpg?fm=webp&
That's more like it!

45 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Not sure about your maths. What other heroes are you talking about? We got the big guy on the bird and the leaked cover star. That's all we know about so far unless you're counting the gryph hound. Also there's definitely scenery. It's been mentioned multiple times. 

Mounted, cover, and hound (that comes with another one). That's my maths. If there's scenery, between that and the price increase, we will laugh when we see the price.

19 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Yeah I think it's Necromunda and I'm guessing there is an Enslaver outbreak. I'm kind of hoping this is a reveal of the next edition of the game which will consolidate a lot of the rules. I've been meaning to get into it over the last few years but been put off due to the rules being all over the place (I know I don't need all the rules but it is off putting!).

Anyway, back to Age of Sigmar. I don't think we will get much now until later this week. I'm hoping we get a road map and a release date but I think it will be focused on the core box and showing off the rules. 

I think Necromunda is related to Nids in the upcoming expansion/ edition, so maybe that is part of something Nids or GSC.

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think Necromunda is related to Nids in the upcoming expansion/ edition, so maybe that is part of something Nids or GSC.

If I remember my Necromunda lore correctly, the hive city is next to another abandon city that was taken over by GSG and they had to nuke that city. But recently that city still lives and are planning to invade Necromunda.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

If I remember my Necromunda lore correctly, the hive city is next to another abandon city that was taken over by GSG and they had to nuke that city. But recently that city still lives and are planning to invade Necromunda.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_Second_Son

IIRC they also mentioned that they had plans to visit this location a few years back during an open day alongside the Ash Wastes.

6 hours ago, Ragest said:

I feel nothing about those images.

The city invented six months ago has fallen, and the character invented less than a year ago is looking worried at it.

Where are all the stories that started in second edition? The old and (barely) developed characters we had three (or six) years ago? 

Yeah I'm a bit shocked Tahlia has no BL novel. Maybe with 4th..? For as much as I'm enjoying Dawnbringers it's wild how slapdash a lot of this stuff feels STILL. Broken Realms release got bungled. 3e started promising then went flat, DB perked it up again but now DB6 could release after 4e begins... and 4e is an index edition which feels like it may inevitably bungle the narrative. again.

Is AOS not getting enough staff or budget? Is there an internal argument on the direction or tone? Are most of us just too young to remember when this narrative issue plagued 40k and WHFB??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyrus said:

As per Asqhy map I can see decent releases (more than one hero)  in 4th edition for :

Fyreslayers

Idoneth

Daughters of Khaine

Cities 

And of course Stormcast and Skaven

image.png.0818c5df6a91d8df8295381678a6a3

This really hits home how little safety Order has tbqh... and why they need more victories to stick. Hammerhal is the only city on this side of the Parch. Strongpoints are basically forts and not really fit for civilians. Makes sense this is where the Vermindoom is popping up.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

wouldn't an Enslaver outbreak be much higher up than Necromunda though? i got the impression the Inquisition or Grey Knights dealth with Enslavers because they apparently mass-mind control humans. Seems strange to put them in a ganger game

13 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Yeah I'm a bit shocked Tahlia has no BL novel. Maybe with 4th..? For as much as I'm enjoying Dawnbringers it's wild how slapdash a lot of this stuff feels STILL. Broken Realms release got bungled. 3e started promising then went flat, DB perked it up again but now DB6 could release after 4e begins... and 4e is an index edition which feels like it may inevitably bungle the narrative. again.

Is AOS not getting enough staff or budget? Is there an internal argument on the direction or tone? Are most of us just too young to remember when this narrative issue plagued 40k and WHFB??

I always feel Narrative just doesn’t sell as much so resource aren’t allocated to them properly.

they also have not really strike a balance on how much game and story material would appease the most people. Like BR books had actual army rules in them, it assume people didn’t like this approach but maybe it help BR sell as best it can. Dawnbringer had more narrative rules with a few fluffy rule set and AoR, did it still draw in people like BR did? 

10 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

wouldn't an Enslaver outbreak be much higher up than Necromunda though? i got the impression the Inquisition or Grey Knights dealth with Enslavers because they apparently mass-mind control humans. Seems strange to put them in a ganger game

Yes but also necromunda is very silly, and they love making callbacks to old stuff (beastmen, squats etc.) it could just be some random ash waste wildlife too.