The Rumour Thread

48 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

Speaking of Underworlds teasing new design, I like how Xandire's Truthseekers previewed the new Liberator hammer. 

image.png.6b9d1d743539355e0eedf9155121f372.pngimage.png.63069e0314b3f3a19389c3d1f8613321.png

(Obviously Annihilators did too to an extent, but their hammers are a bit more ornamented and their armor is different.)

EDIT: To add to this, it's not that I want every hammer, sword, or mark of armor to look identical across the range, but I think a bit of streamlining and homogenization helps strengthen the identity and appeal of the army. If GW wants Stormcast to be "iconic", a bit of uniformity to certain aspects of their design language doesn't hurt.

Slightly warmer take, maybe, but I would also love to have them do this with some of the Knight- and Lord titles. Celestant, Arcanum, and Relictor sounds awesome. I'd rather they reuse such titles a little more, rather than always coming up with something new. It's less stuff for people to remember and it makes the military structure of the army seem more cohesive.

They look great.

YARN | I'll smash it with a hammer! | The Emperor's New ...

2 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Sepulchral-Guard.jpg.webp

Morgoks-Krushas-Underworlds.jpeg.webp

WU_Shadeborn.jpg.webp

Admittedly i don't remember if the underworld or warcry team came first

The shadow stalkers for warcry came first before the Gallowdeep warband so they are not new 

the sephural guards where just Bonerattle skeletons I believe which existed as kits at the time, yes they got refresh eventually 

Snarlfang is arguably the one warband where it popularity in underworlds may have let it becoming a full unit in AoS, while most warbands where teasing something that was plan to be release within the next year of that warband releasing

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, novakai said:

The shadow stalkers for warcry came first before the Gallowdeep warband so they are not new 

the sephural guards where just Bonerattle skeletons I believe which existed as kits at the time, yes they got refresh eventually 

Snarlfang is arguably the one warband where it popularity in underworlds may have let it becoming a full unit in AoS, while most warbands where teasing something that was plan to be release within the next year of that warband releasing

If only they had sold Sons of Velmorn separate.

I really dont like any of the boxes with 2 factions. Never have i gotten a box where i needed both halves. 

Sometimes i really wonder how well some kits sell. Because i could be hyped about something that seems to sell so bad they need to be removed from the game.

5 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Sometimes i really wonder how well some kits sell. Because i could be hyped about something that seems to sell so bad they need to be removed from the game.

Welcome to all of AoS after this latest anti consumer move.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I’m guessing they want units to fulfill different unit purposes.

like Libs are tough units that can take & hold objectives while Vindictors and other spear units will get different abilities(and this is a guess) like “Brace(Rend)” that increases Rend against charge attacks and a special ability to get better hits against Cav & Monster keywords so those units have a role to block opponents and chase down beasties.

We’ll have to see the whole picture but I’m excited to see how they expand from here and streamline AoS for a refresh to new players. :)

Also now that Lib weapons are cosmetic only we can unleash the true Chad weapon choice.

Dual Shields! 🛡️🛡️

image0.jpg?ex=66235731&is=6610e231&hm=a8

Talhoffer would be proud.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

well by that sephural guard logic the snarlfang warband was just the Gitmob Goblin wolf riders which got remove in the same year i belive & that got refresh eventually

File:Wolf Rider M01.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

well by that sephural guard logic the snarlfang warband was just the Gitmob Goblin wolf riders which got remove in the same year i belive & that got refresh eventually

Snarlfangs where more like Kurnothi warband which at the time where unique unit design and profile within their army (Gitmob was never part of Gitz), there been more unique design lately but during Beastgrave thoose two where the outlier  along with maybe the Darkoath. Of course as of now Kurnothi has gotten anything yet.

Back in the day, Sephural guard like many of the Shadespire and Nightvault where just alternatives sculpt of certain units that existed already.

Edit: I do agree on Weirdbrute Wreakaz where likely base and plan with the Ironjawz Brute warband.

Edited by novakai

5 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

There was the Ironjawz warband that had the first Weirdbrute. I think Myari's Purifiers had the first Vanari Bladelord in it, and Dread Paegant featured both the first Blissbarb Archer and Slaangor Fiendblood.

I guess the krule with the flail of the new KB band will end up being a new unit too (with a more agressive role than gutrippaz).

• Like 1

Hopefully with the Kragnos hunting horn guy from the warband.

I’d love them to really lean into Monster Hunterz now between the Bonesplitterz niche needing to be filled and as they’re no longer on a cosmic villain spree it’ll give them a new direction to do as they chill a little(and echo back to when Gorkamorka was Sigmar Pantheon’s main monster killer)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, novakai said:

The Sephulchral Guard were sculpted by the same person who did the Skeletons for Cursed City which defined the look for the late 2nd ed refresh their standard kit got. The whole thing was a process in updating those kits for the new setting I believe. 

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Hopefully with the Kragnos hunting horn guy from the warband.

I’d love them to really lean into Monster Hunterz now between the Bonesplitterz niche needing to be filled and as they’re no longer on a cosmic villain spree it’ll give them a new direction to do as they chill a little(and echo back to when Gorkamorka was Sigmar Pantheon’s main monster killer)

It feels like GW decide to split all aspects of BS between IJ and CB.
IJ get pigs and maniacs
CB get monster hunting and wierd magic
Prob this is the right move but I hope that we will see more Orruk faction in future.

10 hours ago, Asbestress said:

Ah, our daily "Whitefang back me up tease".

Maybe the Lord-Vigilant watches over the others in the Ruination chamber in case their flaws start getting out of hand?

Whitefang like on this post BTW. sounds very cool, and pretty dark implications

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

(Like Kurnothi may have been their answer for AoS unique Asrai but now they’re gonna double down on plant people because another system answers that design niche)

I fear that may be the case.

And I am not even sure, that it would be that much of a problem. Sylvaneth have a lot of potential, just not as anthropomorphized trees. Just look at the new Belthanos model, Belthanos has long braided hair, which looks silly and makes no real sense to me - let the revenants have hair, or not and let the trees keep their fresh growing branches. His insect also makes no sense - from a design point, it feels like they threw every idea they had onto one model. The insect is grasshopper and beetle like with strong cicada elements too. It's mouth got insectoid elements but also has a radula (which is this rolled up tongue with teeth that you can see on the model) which most gasteropods - snails and clams - have.

I also have nothing against a design change, if the models are well thought!

Since AoS, it seems to me, that Sylvaneth do not have a clear classic forest and woods theme anymore. They are lorewise in an area that also includes jungle elements. So if that's the case, I wish that GW would let their designer go absolutely wild!

Give us parasitic Sylvaneth, give us Sylvaneth that include elements of carnivorous plants (venus flytraps, give us plants that secrete fluids that digest their ennemies, Nepenthes and pitcher plants where ennemies also get gruesomly digested inside the plants), give us Sylvaneth that mimic plants and strike down on their unconscious foes. Give us insects that make sense in their design, give us a giant mantis that looks like a ghost or an orchid mantis, wasps are cool, insects are super diverse and there is so much potential. Give us disgusting insects that parasit their ennemies (love the lore of the gossamid archers which have arrows that contains grubs that bore into their ennemies flesh and make them explode in a rain of blood and flesh).

Give us a rafflesia like model or even terrain, they could make a giant rafflesia.

(Same thing goes for a lot of other armies, that have just SO much potential, there is an image in the Idoneth Deepkin book, where they have an entire city on top of a giant copepod, that is SO awesome)

Edited by Son Of Morghur
Correction
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Son Of Morghur said:

And I am not even sure, that it would be that much of a problem. Sylvaneth have a lot of potential, just not as anthropomorphized trees. Just look at the new Belthanos model, Belthanos has long braided hair, which looks silly and makes no real sense to me - let the revenants have hair, or not and let the trees keep their fresh growing branches. His insect also makes no sense - from a design point, it feels like they threw every idea they had onto one model. The insect is grasshopper and beetle like with strong cicada elements too. It's mouth got insectoid elements but also has a radula (which is this rolled up tongue with teeth that you can see on the model) which most gasteropods - snails and clams - have.

Since AoS, it seems to me, that Sylvaneth do not have a clear classic forest and woods theme anymore. They are lorewise in an area that also includes jungle elements. So if that's the case, I wish that GW would let their designer go absolutely wild!

Give us parasitic Sylvaneth, give us Sylvaneth that include elements of carnivorous plants (venus flytraps, give us plants that secrete fluids that digest their ennemies, Nepenthes and pitcher plants where ennemies also get gruesomly digested inside the plants), give us Sylvaneth that mimic plants and strike down on their unconscious foes. Give us insects that make sense in their design, give us a giant mantis that looks like a ghost or an orchid mantis, wasps are cool, insects are super diverse and there is so much potential. Give us disgusting insects that parasit their ennemies (love the lore of the gossamid archers which have arrows that contains grubs that bore into their ennemies flesh and make them explode in a rain of blood and flesh).

Give us a rafflesia like model or even terrain, they could make a giant rafflesia.

(Same thing goes for a lot of other armies, that have just SO much potential, there is an image in the Idoneth Deepkin book, where they have an entire city on top of a giant copepod, that is SO awesome)

Not sure if it makes a difference but Alarielle's beetle and Belthanos's grasshopper are actually magical sprite things rather than actual physical giant insects so don't think they really need rationale anatomy. Rule of cool rules, especially for magical beasts.

But I do like your thoughts and ideas. 

If beast type people are going to be represented by a Kragnos faction then i think Sylvaneth won't be getting Kurnothi in the way I'd hope. But the plants and bugs theme is definitely a great way to go.

Also, replace the Wyldwoods with something scarier and angrier looking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Magnusaur said:

Speaking of Underworlds teasing new design, I like how Xandire's Truthseekers previewed the new Liberator hammer. 

image.png.6b9d1d743539355e0eedf9155121f372.pngimage.png.63069e0314b3f3a19389c3d1f8613321.png

(Obviously Annihilators did too to an extent, but their hammers are a bit more ornamented and their armor is different.)

EDIT: To add to this, it's not that I want every hammer, sword, or mark of armor to look identical across the range, but I think a bit of streamlining and homogenization helps strengthen the identity and appeal of the army. If GW wants Stormcast to be "iconic", a bit of uniformity to certain aspects of their design language doesn't hurt.

Slightly warmer take, maybe, but I would also love to have them do this with some of the Knight- and Lord titles. Celestant, Arcanum, and Relictor sounds awesome. I'd rather they reuse such titles a little more, rather than always coming up with something new. It's less stuff for people to remember and it makes the military structure of the army seem more cohesive.

I agree about the titles, and meanwhile we would have the Lord Vigilor with also another titled Gryph... it is so hard to get them all in your head... specially when the title differs but the mini is the same than another 4 Knights and 5 Lords.

Edited by Ejecutor

6 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

If we look at it that way there's little few minis which are totally original from UW. Probably just the Stormcast, Krules, and the Bolt dudes?

Edited by Ejecutor

Already eager for today's sunday preview. If I had to guess, it will show the new custodes and ork releases, and a phrase teasing rats for tomorrow's monday reveal.

Still beting on clanrats, and then the clawlord for the 22th.

Edited by Garrac

1 hour ago, Son Of Morghur said:

I think the problem here is looking at those insects with our world eyes. It is a fantasy setting, so the insects could be a mix of a bottle, a bull and a camel without a problem at all.

About Sylvaneths, they are in fact in any kind of environment, even snowy mountains and deserts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Already eager for today's sunday preview. If I had to guess, it will show the new custodes and ork releases, and a phrase teasing rats tomorrow.

Dawnbringers 6. That's my bet. If it is not, then Orks and Custodes as you said and DB 6 next week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Dawnbringers 6. That's my bet. If it is not, then Orks and Custodes as you said and DB 6 next week.

Perhaps it's both at the same time? The reason im beting on custodes and orks it's because their combat patrols have been deleted from the webstore (i think there were new ones coming?)

Edited by Garrac

20 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Not sure if it makes a difference but Alarielle's beetle and Belthanos's grasshopper are actually magical sprite things rather than actual physical giant insects so don't think they really need rationale anatomy.

I know! And I like the concept. But again, I do not find it always particularly well implemented.

In old world, we had these spitling-like fey creatures, that were really special and well designed. Just looking at the "new" Treemen they have a lot of these on their sprues, which is super cool and the old Treemen had a lot of them too (and those looked even more like they would sometimes be playful or sometimes would lure you into the depths of the woods)!

The newer ones however, feel way less "fey" and "cruel or playful"  and look a lot more like generic insects most of the time. The older ones had a way better mix of different things (there is the three-eyes owl on the treeman and he also has a cool insectoid mini dragon, which is also insanely cool but they were not insect bound at all).

I am not sure that someone looking at the models and playing another army would be aware of that, and this is also what bothers me. Instead of utilizing the whole potential of the fey aspect, they make very insectoid like creatures, that in the end, do not look that different than just mashed up insects (whereas the fey insect dragon or the three eyed owl really had something much more etheric and supernatural).

I do find it very well implemented with the gossamid archers (I love these models).

And I think that this applies to a lot of armies (fyreslayers, Idoneth, cruelboyz), they have so much potential and end up with sometimes very generic units.

Not every army tho, I think that the new CoS are extremly well designed. Same goes for Gloomspite Gitz!

• Like 2