The Rumour Thread

Ultimately, I think it's clear that the situation with Stormcast is different from that of Beasts and Bonesplitterz.

Skaven are getting a huge refresh which will supplant at least a good portion of their old stuff. Nothing too crazy there, a bunch of armies (Guard, Necrons, Tyranids) have been stealth-losing old kits for the past few years. At least GW is upfront about Skaven here. This feels like a part of the company's "update-or-die" mentality, which I'm okay with. Nothing to say those kits won't return in an updated form further down the line.

Beasts are going to The Old World. I feel bad for those who collect them and it's a shame they never got a real shot at impact the Mortal Realms, model-wise. Good thing they'll live on in The Old World. Again, we may see Pestigors or Khorngors down the line, or even a completely reimagined take on "dark twisted things lurking in the wood", but as of now, they're gone.

Bonesplitterz. I don't know their Age of Sigmar lore and so for me they always felt like unlikely survivors of the original purge. I am inclined to believe that their removal is at least partially related to how their aesthetic might be construed as being racist, stereotypical, whatever. I don't know this, obviously, and it sucks for collectors regardless.

And then, Stormcast. I can't help but wonder... How much of the perception that the older models are fat, ugly, outdated, whatever, is shaped by the fact that they've released so many of them? I think a lot of it is relativistic. Liberators would have their fans and detractors, but their reason for existence wouldn't really be called into question if it wasn't because of Vanguard-Hunters, Sequitors, Vindictors, and now, an updated version.

Termagants, Ork Boyz, Necron Warriors, and Cadian Guardsmen were all around for nearly 20 years. Even then, people argued they didn't need updates. Liberators aren't even 10 years old (well kind of, since they were designed well before release), but now many agree they seem outdated. It feels like producing too many models that are too similar will eventually cannibalize the range, because clear winners and losers will emerge. 

Anyway, I wouldn't personally worry about anything that's been designed and released for Age of Sigmar specifically. I think Stormcast are an anomaly in that regard. I can totally see people being worried about Ogors now, though...

37 minutes ago, Mcm6495 said:

apart from the new liberators that other miniatures think we will get in the fourth edition box for the stormforged.

Paladins and Prosecutors. Both for Ruination. That's all.

Thinking more about this, if I were a Nighthaunt player, I’d be anticipating a bunch of units potentially getting squatted. The WHFB heroes, the glaivewraiths, maybe either the grimghasts or bladewraiths, the harridans… There’s a lot of conceptual overlap between different units in the range, a bunch are frequently out of stock, and 4-5 years is clearly long enough for even prominent starter set minis to be worthy of discontinuing.

And yeah, ogres are currently touch-and-go as to whether they get a refresh or if they get pulled into some future TOW expansion. Fyreslayers too, possibly more likely for an overhaul but obviously have no resort to TOW.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Just give me a button to press at checkout saying which system I'm buying it for. I'd much rather deal with an extra page at checkout than whatever this BS was lol

Or even easier, depending on which page (TOW or AoS) you buy it, that info is easy to get with nowadays standards like Google Analytics.

17 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

You say that but with the removal of the Warcry warbands there are no chaos dwarf models or followers in AoS now.

Chaos Dwarfs squatted again before they even became a full faction 😂

With my collection of old-school guys, Big Hats, Azgorh, the Hellcannon, and now Horns of Hashut I have five different iterations of this faction that have not once overlapped. Crazy stuff.

17 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

that's a god-gor, not gor-gor

ah yeah it is a Tzaangor; who is an Arcanite exclusively now

7 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Thinking more about this, if I were a Nighthaunt player, I’d be anticipating a bunch of units potentially getting squatted. The WHFB heroes, the glaivewraiths, maybe either the grimghasts or bladewraiths, the harridans… There’s a lot of conceptual overlap between different units in the range, a bunch are frequently out of stock, and 4-5 years is clearly long enough for even prominent starter set minis to be worthy of discontinuing.

And yeah, ogres are currently touch-and-go as to whether they get a refresh or if they get pulled into some future TOW expansion. Fyreslayers too, possibly more likely for an overhaul but obviously have no resort to TOW.

I hate how accurate this is; bye ghosts! If the other half of the 2.0 posterboys already got axed idk why I'd expect Ghosts to have so many variations of a theme

Edited by Pizzaprez

37 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Now, having had an another look at the SCE cuts, am I the only one thinking not enough heroes are being culled?

I'm guessing this:

image.png.2acf7798284a313a32b4419a3f237953.png

can actually mean a handful of minis, but I'm still hoping that with what's left, we'll at least see pooling all Knights and Lords into a single hero profiles.

That one includes the Evocator Prime. It was all in the same sprue and was sold together with that name after the Soul Wars box was removed:

Forjados en la Tormenta: Señores de la Cámara Sacrosanta (warhammer.com)

This is the most disgusting news article from a company I've read in many years. If they don't reverse this decision then I'm done with age of sigmar completely. 

The sacrosanct chamber squat is the most disgusting business decision I think I've ever read, especially for this company.

A six year old model range for a 2nd edition boxset of stormcast is squatted because "the rules overlap too much with our new stormcast in 4th edition". People are seriously going to roll over and take that, does this mean the 6th edition stormcast boxset can replace your 4th edition stormcast and you are ok with that?

This is clearly because only new edition box's can have stormcast as one side of the choices due to better sales, no other army is allowed to feature in the box other then stormcast, which is what has led to this very situation today.

This isn't a model refresh like the skaven or the 1st edition stormcast, they are squatting a chamber due to "rules overlap" how about you honour the miniatures you released and you honour the customers that bought the 2nd edition boxset and write some damn paper with rules on it. 

If a warp spider model from 30 years ago is still valid today in 40k, then a 6 year sacrosanct chamber can have it's rules written or this company is toast.

The problem isn't the sacrosanct chamber, the problem is games workshop trying to make more money by shoe horning unnecessary stormcast miniatures "for better profits". 

#saveoursacrosanct

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Rollcage said:

This is clearly because only new edition box's can have stormcast as one side of the choices due to better sales, no other army is allowed to feature in the box other then stormcast, which is what has led to this very situation today

This part I agree on :)

(I am a little afraid for my IDK now)

Edited by JackStreicher

7 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Ok, this at least goes in the right direction. It's still only from the socials team, but it's a start

FB_IMG_1712234961218.png?ex=6621170c&is=660ea20c&hm=ec131fa017e06a845b4f39f421aa943a4a0e35eced1a1c0651a7783b75845273&=

the random heroes are most likely to not return. i could honestly see all Sacrosanct UNITS coming back in Thunderstrike form. Vanguard not being squatted makes me think they'll remain in their og form for a bit, with the least amount of Thunderstrike replacements to come.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

that's a god-gor, not gor-gor

Gor-gor comes and sirens wail

Mournful drone of babbling fail

Thunderous gnashing firestorm

Flames illuminate his form

Gor-gor comes and you must die

Swats F16s from the sky

Admit you crave the gift he brings you

Fall and worship tyrant king you

46 minutes ago, Sealven said:

Someone in the Stormkeep discord channel put together this visualization of the Stormcast range before and after the announcement.  1712232392133031m.jpg.0da6d15c39ac4cdf59449afd63c12154.jpg

Picsart_24-04-04_09-07-15-062.jpg.1830cb052994081c49b4d1f8fabcdae9.jpg

There's really only like two or three more heroes they could have cut without just axing everything that came out before third.

No new Celestant-Prime... :(

Just out of curiosity how old are the current BoC and Bonesplittez plastics?

I don't believe ogors will be getting anything other than a scale/design/range update. It's just taking awhile. If the entire range was up to par with the gorgers and the CoS warhulk I'd start a new army. Just saying. 

I could see a bit of trimming across a few other factions. 

I could also see an update to those early fyreslayers kits as well with newer design and inclusion of both sexes. That last warcry band seemed to have been really well accepted. 

But...

Get these damn Rats and lightning zombies out the door!!! I needz me some gitmob!!!

From a lore perspective if you aren't wearing Thunderstrike armor the likelihood of you being reforged is very low.  I personally like the Thunderstrike pattern quite a bit and will be curious to see how many of the original range get updates to the new pattern.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

Part of the appeal of a miniatures game is "these are my dudes; i made them!" and I plan on riding that crew through highs and lows in balance..... but you can't get too much lower than "deleted entirely."

Burnt!

44 minutes ago, Mungrun said:

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they showed the beastmen in the 4th edition teaser trailer and now they've removed them? 🤔

It was a Tzangor. They are not being removed.

42 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

You say that but with the removal of the Warcry warbands there are no chaos dwarf models or followers in AoS now.

Chaos Dwarfs squatted again before they even became a full faction 😂

Maybe precisely because they want to clear the way for the new aesthetic.

43 minutes ago, EonChao said:

You have it the wrong way around, it was originally released as a regular release first, shortly after 2nd ed launched in 2018, as a wave of easy to build kits for Stormcast. There was Astreia Solbright, the Celestar Ballista, a trio of Sequitors and the Castigators with Gryph-Hound.

Later on they were repackaged in late 2021, after 3rd ed had started, in a Warhammer Underworlds starter set.

Interesting. Still find it an odd unit. The ones from the Soul War box were all clones, but at least they were not so unique that having them repeated would be more noticeable, like the ones with the Ghryph-hound.

9 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Just out of curiosity how old are the current BoC and Bonesplittez plastics?

If I recall correctly, Beastmen are a mix of 6th edition (2003) and 7th edition (2010), except for the Endless Spells and Herdstone (2018), Underworlds warband (2019?) and the new Beastlord (2023). 

Bonesplitterz I think are entirely from 8th (2011), except for the Underworlds warband. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic

55 minutes ago, Sealven said:

Someone in the Stormkeep discord channel put together this visualization of the Stormcast range before and after the announcement.  1712232392133031m.jpg.0da6d15c39ac4cdf59449afd63c12154.jpg

Picsart_24-04-04_09-07-15-062.jpg.1830cb052994081c49b4d1f8fabcdae9.jpg

Genuinely believe they should have cut Celestant and Star Drake - give the Prime a new model and the Drakecast has already been directly replaced by Dragoncast at this point. 

Honestly though : we can discuss Beasts being canned for Old World or Bonesplitterz, but given that these models are at most less than a decade old, this is a brutal cull

Space Marines beware I guess

• Confused 1

My friends in Sigmar,

For a while now, we have had a lot of hopium and copium about BS and BoC. This is understandable. Nobody likes losing their army or faction.

Several of our reliable leakers have guided us to the conclusion that these factions would disappear. This sucks and my heart goes out to you.

BS probably should have been cut at the start of 3.0. Kruelboyz seem to be the direction GW wanted to go in, but they didn't rip the band-aid off.

BoC were hinted at "going away, but being back in a different way."

Kragnos is the most logical rebirth. Two beastly factions in different grand alliances does not visually translate well. The Adepticon preview/interviews suggested the future of AOS is sprinkled across the Dawnbringers narrative in little crumbs.

Kragnos is searching for his people. I suggest holding onto your armies a while longer. You may get lucky and have a new home for some of the units.

We'll see.

• Thanks 2