The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, flying_dutchman said:

What's wrong with keeping the vanguards for the same reason.  I did vanguard leagues at my store to try and bring in new players.  My wife actually really likes it to play over 2k but she's the hobbyist.  The vanguards were as balanced as small games are going to be

Because now you can sell new Spearhead boxes to people who already brought the Vanguard boxes as they contain a slightly different mix of savings. What we'll probably see happen is all of the existing Vanguard boxes get a release of Spearhead rules online, and then actual boxes come out alongside the army books.

Honestly it makes me think I should pick up a couple of the ones I'm vaguely interested in now just incase they get replaced with a less interesting deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

I’d have thought that 4.0 will come with a redesign. 

Not necessarily. 40K has kept the same colouring and branding between recent editions. I can see AoS keeping the same logo and red/gold branding in 4th (which I'm ok with as I think it looks good) 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Do we think this is just a new vanguard? or will it have a lower price point?
To me the vanguard boxes had a major issue with the price point, I get that the savings were similar to what the SC boxes had, but the higher price point always pushes me off buying any of them.

I Wouldn't necessarily say the Vanguards were similar to SC. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but for example the StD one is particularly bad. At the time of release you actually got less points than the old SC for £20 more. Also the Van included old models whereas the SC didn't, and I think ~£15 more worth of models for again £20 more.

Maybe I am a little over fixated on this but I won't stop making the point that Vanguards are often a step back in terms of value 😂

I'm all for Spearheads if that means the FS Vanguard will be replaced with literally ANYTHING else. The current one is insanely boring and not a great entrypoint for new players either.

Throw the Magmadroth back in GW! Or even better, some new models with a FS update.

3 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I'm all for Spearheads if that means the FS Vanguard will be replaced with literally ANYTHING else. The current one is insanely boring and not a great entrypoint for new players either.

Throw the Magmadroth back in GW! Or even better, some new models with a FS update.

This is what I'm hoping for, handling them similar to the 40k armies that got major refreshes in 9th. Combat Patrol Orks, got a new Warboss, new boyz and new Deathkopters. Combat Patrol: Astra Militarum: entirely new models. Leagues and World Eaters, entirely new models.

Give Fyreslayers a full range refresh like they deserve and use a bunch of those to make up the new box.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, EonChao said:

Give Fyreslayers a full range refresh like they deserve and use a bunch of those to make up the new box.

It's not so much that Fyreslayers need a "range refresh", it's that they need an actual range. All the models they have are pretty decent, it's just that there is so few of them, with next to no variation. 3/4 more actual units and the range would be really strong. 

Edited by Hollow

53 minutes ago, EonChao said:

Because now you can sell new Spearhead boxes to people who already brought the Vanguard boxes as they contain a slightly different mix of savings. What we'll probably see happen is all of the existing Vanguard boxes get a release of Spearhead rules online, and then actual boxes come out alongside the army books.

Honestly it makes me think I should pick up a couple of the ones I'm vaguely interested in now just incase they get replaced with a less interesting deal.

Yea but theyre so new to begin with.  I thought the vanguards would at least survive 4th with a new "starter" box coming out in the eventual 5th edition.  This is a name change which is somewhat significant rather than just fixing the bad vanguards.  It's too early to tell what the points values are going to be.  I know vanguards tried to hit 750

I'm not surpried to see a new type of army box for AoS factions. It's a very straightforward and relatively simple way to drive interest and sales. Keeping the Vanguards around (or any type of larger box) for too long and it will generally stagnate. You want to keep shaking things up (It also allows you to use models that are perhaps not as popular for whatever reason) As others have mentioned, I do hope that we will see some new models as part of Spearheads for some factions as we have in 40k for Comabt Patrol. 

• Like 1

Are those "Spearhead" boxes replacing the Vanguard ones, or are they 2 different things ? 

I hope the price for those isn't too bad... We're lucky to have our current Vanguard boxes cheaper than Combat Patrols with more points inside. I don't want that to change.

Edit : 900 pts on this one box, only ****** it's a good deal. 40k can only dream of having such a good deal (except Custodes).

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite

6 hours ago, pitzok said:

While most of this sounds cool, looking back on third, where until dawnbringers GW pretty much insisted on being set in Ghur, we really didn't get any Ghur-themed miniatures in mainline AoS and it was mostly delegated to Warcry to carry the Ghur theme, although only in a pretty small area. It seems to me that setting a whole edition in one realm doesn't really constitute anything in terms of larger range releases. The fact that we didn't get a large BoC release in this edition really shows that the "Era of the Beast" barely means anything. I'm personally for the multi-realm jumping between them to tell interesing stories as they crop up approach.

Edit: And as someone mentioned before, other realms also show opportunities for industrial development, the soul-fuel oil rigs in Shyish sound pretty metal to me. I wouldn't be betting on what the next realms would be based on the factions we know will be featured in the next edition. For all we know the starter might be set in Blight City itself as the Stormcasts push back an incursion after something happens at the end of Dawnbringers.

Respectfully I think that I view this differently. I think we have had many “beastial” releases throughout the edition, and that the main narrative of “beast” centric model releases has been shown throughout the edition.

• Kruleboyz with  Vulcha, Skumdrek, Marshcrawla, Gnashtoof, Beast Skewer Killa Bow, Breka boss on Murebrute Troggoth

• Stormcast with Stormdrake Guard, Krondys, Karazi

• Krondspine Incarnate

• Sylvaneth Spiterider Lancers/Revenant Seekers (these are the first mounted units for sylvaneth)

• Centurion Marshal

• King Brogg

• UNderworlds Gnarlspirit Pack

• Ogroids for S2D

• Ogre Bloodpelt Hunter

• Snarlfang Riders

• Squig Boss with Gnasha-Squig

• Boc Beast Lord (But i don't count this as it is the obligatory accompanying hero with a new battletome)

• Claws of Kharanak

• Seraphon Range Refresh (entire range release is super apt for era of the beast)

• Royal Beastflayers

• Braggit

• Trugg

• Moar Grunta

• Ironjawz Refresh being pig themed

• Wildercorpt Hunters

• Gorger Mawpack

• Kruleboyz Monsta-Killaz

• Vulkyn Flameseekers

• Tahlia Vedra

• Ionus

• Belthanos

• I would heavily argue the FEC refresh is also beastial by nature

In addition to all of these there are arguments to be made that even a number of the non beast/destruction themed releases (meaning new models) are themed around responses to the era of the beast, not just adding beastial units themselves). (Errant questors having fur cloaks much like the gen 1 vanguard units and expanding the variety of stormcast beastmarks)(realmgore ritualist, or chosen of dromm for khorn)

And we still have some more to come through the rest of dawnbringers before we can call this list capped. I do feel that thematically GW does slant their releases to these kind of narratives for each edition.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

There's more to come too, which is cool!

I do like these as a "What to buy after the Vanguard" as a general boost to your force for newer players rather than just jumping in a the deep end. Although it is a bit unclear if these replace Vanguards or not

I really hope these are intended as an After-Vanguard so Vanguard boxes can be AOS equivalent of combat patrol!!! this box contents isn't great for a pickup skirmish

2 hours ago, Vagard said:

It is a valid list as a pack of 5 vindictors are considered as a battleline. 

You have here roughly 950 pts at most (if you chose to put big hammers on the paladins)

2 battlelines (2x5 vindictors) 

2 heroes

1 elite unit 

1 others unit 

no idea what you're counting, that's a vanquisher unit that has to stay 10 or else you don't get the banner+musician buff...

this box has ONE battleline unless you take the subfaction that allows paladins to do it too

4 minutes ago, IronVIke said:

Respectfully I think that I view this differently. I think we have had many “beastial” releases throughout the edition, and that the main narrative of “beast” centric model releases has been shown throughout the edition.

• Kruleboyz with  Vulcha, Skumdrek, Marshcrawla, Gnashtoof, Beast Skewer Killa Bow, Breka boss on Murebrute Troggoth

• Stormcast with Stormdrake Guard, Krondys, Karazi

• Krondspine Incarnate

• Sylvaneth Spiterider Lancers/Revenant Seekers (these are the first mounted units for sylvaneth)

• Centurion Marshal

• King Brogg

• UNderworlds Gnarlspirit Pack

• Ogroids for S2D

• Ogre Bloodpelt Hunter

• Snarlfang Riders

• Squig Boss with Gnasha-Squig

• Boc Beast Lord (But i don't count this as it is the obligatory accompanying hero with a new battletome)

• Claws of Kharanak

• Seraphon Range Refresh (entire range release is super apt for era of the beast)

• Royal Beastflayers

• Braggit

• Trugg

• Moar Grunta

• Ironjawz Refresh being pig themed

• Wildercorpt Hunters

• Gorger Mawpack

• Kruleboyz Monsta-Killaz

• Vulkyn Flameseekers

• Tahlia Vedra

• Ionus

• Belthanos

• I would heavily argue the FEC refresh is also beastial by nature

In addition to all of these there are arguments to be made that even a number of the non beast/destruction themed releases (meaning new models) are themed around responses to the era of the beast, not just adding beastial units themselves). (Errant questors having fur cloaks much like the gen 1 vanguard units and expanding the variety of stormcast beastmarks)(realmgore ritualist, or chosen of dromm for khorn)

And we still have some more to come through the rest of dawnbringers before we can call this list capped. I do feel that thematically GW does slant their releases to these kind of narratives for each edition.

I think the disappointment is related to the state of destruction. Death got 2 armies and a range refresh in aos 2, in addition to driving a lot of the narrative of the edition, and building into aos2. The ironjawz release helped, but destruction has gotten a lot less so far in comparison, and was all but left out of the broken realms release cycle (they got kragnos and their entire narrative buildup with excelsis was cut short, even the rules were just updated white dwarf rules).

That said it might just be hopium but I've got a feeling we'll get a new warclans book by the end of the edition. Based on some of the rumor engines I think they might have a kruleboyz expansion in their back pocket, and the warclans book needs updating desperately. Add that to the big ironjawz expansion that never got into print, and the possible squatting of bonesplitterz (after the release of old world would be the best time for it) and I think there's a possibility.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I really hope these are intended as an After-Vanguard so Vanguard boxes can be AOS equivalent of combat patrol!!! this box contents isn't great for a pickup skirmish

GW with 40k : "we're gonna keep Combat Patrols the same price but with less miniatures inside lmao, so we can make more money off the 40k brand".
GW with AoS : "Here is a new kind of bundle box designed to complete Vanguards and starter sets, have fun".

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

I think the disappointment is related to the state of destruction. Death got 2 armies and a range refresh in aos 2, in addition to driving a lot of the narrative of the edition, and building into aos2. The ironjawz release helped, but destruction has gotten a lot less so far in comparison, and was all but left out of the broken realms release cycle (they got kragnos and their entire narrative buildup with excelsis was cut short, even the rules were just updated white dwarf rules).

That said it might just be hopium but I've got a feeling we'll get a new warclans book by the end of the edition. Based on some of the rumor engines I think they might have a kruleboyz expansion in their back pocket, and the warclans book needs updating desperately. Add that to the big ironjawz expansion that never got into print, and the possible squatting of bonesplitterz (after the release of old world would be the best time for it) and I think there's a possibility.

Here's a fun question. If bonesplitterz get squatted, and you could replace them with something new or an updated version of bonesplitterz.... Which would you choose, how would you do it and why?

1 minute ago, IronVIke said:

Here's a fun question. If bonesplitterz get squatted, and you could replace them with something new or an updated version of bonesplitterz.... Which would you choose, how would you do it and why?

I'd just want updated bonesplitterz. sure the models aren't crazy right now, but their narrative is super cool and they could have a super interesting playstyle if you lean into them being the realms greatest hunters. Ruleswise they should make you feel like you're hunting, even if it isn't just monsters. Stuff like running down and exhausting units, feinting, and controlling movement.
Lookswise while I think naked orruks are a good baseline, since you get to do freehand warpaint, for the rest I'd love if they leaned into units with crazy looking bone armor, bonesplitter brutes with greatbows, units of orruks possessed by beast spirits, and maybe some kind of big shaman centerpiece where he's possessed by and controlling the bones of some sort of big beast like a dragon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2