The Rumour Thread

23 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, at length I call them a good middle-ground.

They definitely have old aesthetics(fitting as some were in stasis since then or even the manifestation of Slann memories) but when you compare the old savage jungle fighters covered in scale weapons & skulls vs the cleaner magi-tech smooth weapons & armor like they just came off a clean environment you can see which way they’re leaning(magic space dinos that hobbyists can either build off of or muddy up for new jungles)

old:

image.jpeg.e36490754a79c9073324530d53161520.jpeg

New:
image.jpeg.22c84e3e5af0e9f3da5da3496bf66cd5.jpeg

They’re a good baseline to build from. Especially if future stuff gets wilder like some new lore teases.

“A cabal of slann lead by Starmaster Tuomoq propose a radical notion. They posit that it was not Chaos that devoured the world that was but Sotek, for the Serpent God desired for the slann to abandon physical limitations and, in a new cycle of creation, become creator-god energy-beings of unbound potential. As visions continue to assail him, Tuomoq's proclamations become increasingly esoteric, until he and his inner circle suddenly vanish; their vessels are last seen bound for the uppermost reaches of Azyr, where the strangest cosmic entities convalesce. Though many slann mourn him as finally being overwhelmed by the mental strain of aeons, private adherents to his teachings continue to lead many Starborne constellations.”

-Seraphon 2023 battletome.

(which I liked the new Dawner book even nodded to their astral bodies as the reinforcements Kroak sent down were so hastily beamed over that there are visible holes in their scaley physicality forms where you can see galaxy voids instead 

Also is the safest approach. That way the userbase that do not like the new aesthetic can get used to it little by little.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EntMan said:

Bloodbowl is a definite different universe/setting of its own.

And what about Middle Earth?

Bloodbowl is grouped under the Old World setting by GamesWorkshop, which makes perfect sense, even if it is an "alternative Old World reality". Middle Earth is its own thing. It is WARHAMMER which is what I was talking about. 

Edited by Hollow

6 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

About the rumor enginees, a user from the AoS reddit made a pretty good comparison with some of the elements in kruleboyz range

lfgp0nnt146c1.webp

really bad view on Skumdrekk there... i looked up the model and on the generic hero the GW site has a much better angle. not entirely convinced yet because none of the nails/spikes are even close to that obvious thunderbolt but another few REs might flip me ;)

image.png.38b3b42d6c11794eb464fb11d8b7e553.png

• Like 3

When looking at the few Skaven miniatures released during AoS / Underworlds, we can assume that the revamp will still look very closely to how they were, but just better.

Anyway it's important that there will be redone gutter runner, night runners, plague monks, weapon teams and various characters. All the stuff that isn't plastic or very, very outdated even before AoS those gutter runners were old and ugly.

All the talk about that it should be crazy and outlandish just because it is for AoS and they can go wild with the designs and etc... I don't believe it. Every re-release of excisting miniatures/armies were still very simular to what they were. Serpahon, StD, CoS, FeC are good examples for it and Skaven will just be the same. A simular aesthetic, but just much better.

The new FeC mini's would also work perfectly in ToW. Especially the Cryptguard. The background make's it different, but aesthetic wise they would still work perfectly fine for Warhammer. The Morbheg knights would just be monstrous cavalry and etc.

Background / fluff wise everything in AoS seems extremely high fantasy, but this isn't translated in the miniatures at all. The difference between the newer AoS miniatures and older AoS / Warhammer miniatures is how good technology became in making amazing plastic kits.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

but this isn't translated in the miniatures at all. 

To the CoS it definitely is. They look out of discworld with how wacky they and their big helmets, magic smelter pot warforger, angular clothes, Ogor-crow nest and Gargoylians are. Even their knights are heavily overloaded with exaggerated armor to where one AoS Cavalier would be the equivalent of a Knight Order Grandmaster in the world-that-was(just like black orcs are average troopers now)

image.jpeg.16f98945515c2a83fb88f12b2a202627.jpeg

Your other examples were already high fantasy from the get-go being ancient alien lizards, hell knights & daemons and undead magic cannibals so the translations aren’t as drastic yet.

18 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

and Skaven will just be the same. A simular aesthetic, but just much better.

Haha, be careful on the certain tones without Whitefang around. Remember your “Ironjawz won’t get anymore updates” prediction a few months before they dropped in. ;) 

24 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

really bad view on Skumdrekk there... i looked up the model and on the generic hero the GW site has a much better angle. not entirely convinced yet because none of the nails/spikes are even close to that obvious thunderbolt but another few REs might flip me ;)

image.png.38b3b42d6c11794eb464fb11d8b7e553.png

I’m kinda wondering if the thunderbolt is Grottish because stuff like the Snarlfang swords have that weird bolt bend so maybe closer to Hobgrot constructs?

Between the wings, pulleys & bomb I’m hoping for a Vulcha flying unit with hobgrots dropping bombs from on high now. xD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

If you are happy with how AoS armies were reimagined so far, why do not give a chance to rats as well? hehehe

i am not happy with how aos armies were reimagined.

to me seraphons,slaves,slanesh,city,goblins and vampires arent reimagined,they are only same old armies but got up to date the old sculpts.

to me reimagined armys are kharadrons from dispossesed(i am a huge dispossesed collector but i hate the kharadrons) or lumineths from high elfs(again im a high elf player and i hate lumineths style) per example.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Doko said:

to me seraphons,slaves,slanesh,city,goblins and vampires arent reimagined,they are only same old armies but got up to date the old sculpts.

to me reimagined armys are kharadrons from dispossesed(i am a huge dispossesed collector but i hate the kharadrons) or lumineths from high elfs(again im a high elf player and i hate lumineths style) per example.

So you just want to hate the other armies too? Khorne cheered in the next room!

• Haha 8

25 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

To the CoS it definitely is. They look out of discworld with how wacky they and their big helmets, magic smelter pot warforger, angular clothes, Ogor-crow nest and Gargoylians are. Even their knights are heavily overloaded with exaggerated armor to where one AoS Cavalier would be the equivalent of a Knight Order Grandmaster in the world-that-was(just like black orcs are average troopers now)

image.jpeg.16f98945515c2a83fb88f12b2a202627.jpeg

Your other examples were already high fantasy from the get-go being ancient alien lizards, hell knights & daemons and undead magic cannibals so the translations aren’t as drastic yet.

Haha, be careful on the certain tones without Whitefang around. Remember your “Ironjawz won’t get anymore updates” prediction a few months before they dropped in. ;) 

I’m kinda wondering if the thunderbolt is Grottish because stuff like the Snarlfang swords have that weird bolt bend so maybe closer to Hobgrot constructs?

Between the wings, pulleys & bomb I’m hoping for a Vulcha flying unit with hobgrots dropping bombs from on high now. xD 

I don't agree with CoS, My two armies are CoS and StD and my warhammer army was The Empire and I really don't think it it so different than what Warhammer was. If they wanted they could easly included somekind of character that uses an imperial ogre as mount. It would still work in the setting of the old world. 😉

There is some artwork of Imperial knightly orders that have the same overloaded and exaggerated armour than the Cavaliers have. I mean look ath the artwork of those flagellants with a warrior priest. Imo CoS isn't aesthetic wise really not so different. In the fluff and artwork it sounds / looks bigger and more crazy, but miniatures wise I don't think it is noticable at all.

image.png.106d432a36e6c794df583f3f0aba1e0a.pngimage.png.e874f3a02764be8379736f183271006a.png

Yes, my other examples were already high fantasy, but the point is that you and a couple of others seem to advocate is to make the already high fantasy stuff even more high fantasy / outlandish just because it is for AoS. 

Ofcourse there could be more crazy Skaven machines, but these could exist in Warhammer too. The only limited back then for Skaven was the capacity and technology to design those sets. Now in 2023, there is so much more stuff possible in plastic. It's amazing.

Anyway with the Skaven underworld releases and the AoS character that was released with their latest battletome, there is nothing pointing out that a huge shift in aesthetics for Skaven will happen.

Yes, I was very wrong with no updates for Ironjawz and I am very happy I was wrong. So I would love to see to get Idoneth the same treatment.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, MitGas said:

So you just want to hate the other armies too? Khorne cheered in the next room!

i dont get what are you saying.

i have 6 armys of aos(stormcast,fyreslayers,city of sigmar,nighaunt,vampires,dok),so i like many aos armys.

only i am not a fan of the over the top style of many aos armys that others like.

But as others have said skavens got some new minis in aos allready and are same clasical hamsters,so im happy that they wont get this over the top aos style that some want

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I mean look ath the artwork of those flagellants with a warrior priest. Imo CoS isn't aesthetic wise really not so different.

I’d say this is the thing.

old empire Could go wackier if they really tried and at most it was the artwork that showed it off while the figures remained 90% historical fantasy looking and fairly subdued.

Meanwhile CoS looks like they came galloping off those artworks and are walking talking high fantasy caricatures of the empire with decorations on every trooper that completely tossed out any historical tie-ins(there’s people going over the details of their armors that range from north European, east European Hussites and even some Japanese styles mixed in there)

So fair to say why you see Empire in these but also fair why so many former CoS players walked out angry their army got “Lumineth’d”(made much more wacky and fantastical)

image.png.9c6ae181f9903fa734e3ff6d4cf564ac.png

image.jpeg.e6bc4ae293c4748f9f5abfbd425437e7.jpeg
x7o5lC3eOCJpsmhn.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I am thinking that maybe Chorfs+Hobgrots is the first army with two Grand Allegiances 

I mean hobgrots are pretty standard mercenaries and even back alley merchants.

I think if some work for Chuardin it’ll be like city-Ogors over in CoS. 

IMG_1919.png?ex=658ca6d8&is=657a31d8&hm=

• Thanks 1

@Baron Klatz

I can't speak for other CoS players, but for me they nailed the aesthetics with the latest CoS update. And yes, the old world mini's and the artwork in the various armybooks didn't always look the same. Lol. The artwork of the empire knightly orders and the knights they released for the Empire was a very weak representation of the artwork. I do think that this was also because of the technical limits of that time for plastic sets. If they use the artwork of Reiksguard knights or knights Panther and copy it 100% it would be an amazing plastic set. Be it either for CoS or the The Empire. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doko said:

i dont get what are you saying.

i have 6 armys of aos(stormcast,fyreslayers,city of sigmar,nighaunt,vampires,dok),so i like many aos armys.

only i am not a fan of the over the top style of many aos armys that others like.

But as others have said skavens got some new minis in aos allready and are same clasical hamsters,so im happy that they wont get this over the top aos style that some want

I'm just yanking your chain, buddy. I cheered with Khorne when you said that you hated Lumineth. 🤙 I hate hATE HATE high Elves too though, yay! 🙌

I do prefer the more "realistic"/"classic" armies in AoS in general as well though, albeit I'd say most of the new/reimagined ones are thankfully mundane enough to work for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tonhel said:

@Baron Klatz

I can't speak for other CoS players, but for me they nailed the aesthetics with the latest CoS update. And yes, the old world mini's and the artwork in the various armybooks didn't always look the same. Lol. The artwork of the empire knightly orders and the knights they released for the Empire was a very weak representation of the artwork. I do think that this was also because of the technical limits of that time for plastic sets. If they use the artwork of Reiksguard knights or knights Panther and copy it 100% it would be an amazing plastic set. Be it either for CoS or the The Empire. 

i am a cos player and i am not a fan of the latest cos update but i can acept it(only zelestra and the ogre i wont like me never).

but as you said cos remain as old style and havent got the lumineth deal.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Doko said:

i am a cos player and i am not a fan of the latest cos update but i can acept it(only zelestra and the ogre i wont like me never).

but as you said cos remain as old style and havent got the lumineth deal.

I think a couple of less "weird" helmets and a different paintjob would immediately fix them for those that want to stick closer to the Empire of old. 

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Why did GW even make a beast FAQ. It's literally just a random nerf to a random spell that no one took on a unit no one took. Seems like someone in the design studio didn't like getting hit with -1 attack debuffs judging from the stormcast dragon change at the same time.

It seems that way. Though someone did point this out about the draconith.

It’s not a nerf. Before a unit with multiple attacks could split them and not lose any, by only assigning one attack each to the model with the -1 incoming attack rule, and the rest to whatever else is in range. This is a side grade that helps address this issue, and also makes the units more capable of supporting the rest of your army in combat. Seems interesting to me.”

4 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I think a couple of less "weird" helmets and a different paintjob would immediately fix them for those that want to stick closer to the Empire of old. 

That’s CoS biggest strength. Since release I’ve seen on Reddit & Twitter new CoS standard, empire, Bretonnian, Kislev, middle eastern, samurai, wizardly, high tech(Necromunda ho), lawful undead, nature rangers and chaos warriors versions along with some 3D Printer sales wanting to give them even crazier stacked helms and packs that make them look like battle billboards.

At their core now they’re medieval high fantasy troopers so can be converted into any direction.

55 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Don't or I wanna start Skaven as well! 🙏

I do wonder if when we ever get to the Realm of Shadow will those Nethermaze hatcheries be expanded on with the Skaven we saw.

IMG_1920.png?ex=658cadfd&is=657a38fd&hm=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doko said:

To me Kharadrons is an army that could fit in the old world as well. Just replace the magic powder that powers their ballons with something less magical and it could fit perfectly. Imo all armies could be shared one world or another without problem at all.

I think a big part of the armies being reimagined is to stand out from the hundreds of 3D artirsts that copied their armies in all the possible ways more than something inherited from AoS as universe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

It’s not a nerf. Before a unit with multiple attacks could split them and not lose any, by only assigning one attack each to the model with the -1 incoming attack rule, and the rest to whatever else is in range. This is a side grade that helps address this issue, and also makes the units more capable of supporting the rest of your army in combat. Seems interesting to me.”

so:

--armys with attack in hero phase: old got -1 attack, new get nothing

-- a huge monsters with attacks that deals extra atk vs more models and allways want get in combat with the max number of models: old got -1 attack against multiple units, new get only against one unit.

to me all are nerfs and huge.

also i would like to know how is posible split attacks of a unit that is in combat with krondys/karazai when they have a huge base,i guess if these models have attacks with 6" could be posible lol

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

I am thinking that maybe Chorfs+Hobgrots is the first army with two Grand Allegiances 

Was pondering this myself. I'd like to see them expanded upon as well. 

I always found it extremely odd that even though they have lil grenades it's their melee attack that gets exploding 6s?... 🤔

And there's the whole "War of the Broken Promise" tension betwixt krulies and chorfs with hobs playing both sides.

Super curious to see where they ends up going with that. 

Also, not being a huge chorfs fan or knowing too much, could they actually be a destro alliance army after all? I don't have any reason but I think Kragnos will end up playing  part in chorfs somehow. They're all about the duardin centaurs as well iirc. 

We'll see eventually. 🤘

Edited by Vasshpit

27 minutes ago, lele said:

Based on advent engine, i guess we will have Cities vs Skaven box in 4.0

Stormcast vs Skaven. 

I can't see a starter set without Stormcast. Love or hate them, they are the face of AoS. 

I can see cities getting a 2nd wave, cultist stuff mainly. 

I think and hope quite a few factions will get 2nd waves next year. 

GW have been releasing either new armies or doing redesigns and giving us new toys but it almost always feels like there is more to come. 

Kruleboyz, cities, deepkin , fyreslayers, kharadron. 

Even 40k has it, the eldar redesign wasn't a full release and there must be more squats coming. 

I think 2024 will be a good year and I can't wait to see what they come up with. 

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, lele said:

Based on advent engine, i guess we will have Cities vs Skaven box in 4.0

Nah, remember the lead-up to AoS3 and we had weeks of “Visions of the Beast” engines every week that slowly pieced together the Kruleboyz reveal up to the trailer?

IMG_1928.png?ex=658ce121&is=657a6c21&hm=
IMG_1929.png?ex=658ce3ae&is=657a6eae&hm=
IMG_1930.png?ex=658ce3ae&is=657a6eae&hm=

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/27/the-rumour-engine-visions-of-beasts-part-10/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/28/the-rumour-engine-visions-of-beasts-part-11/

You can’t tell me that exact set-up wouldn’t be perfect to reveal mysterious new Skaven lurking about preparing a new assualt on Order the Stormcast are scouting out with their celestial equipment(more rumor engine shards). 😁

These Christmas advents are likely something sooner than AoS4.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 4