The Rumour Thread

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

My mind is ablaze with what the new Ironjawz minis could look like!!

The Gigantic Troggoth has me so so so hyped!! I wonder if itll be a dual build kit like the Dankhold and not have the portal?

While to me the 1st wave of Ironjawz hold up really well, the preview of the Maw Grunta compared to the Gore Gruntas shows how much better they can do. 

It's very exciting times for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

While to me the 1st wave of Ironjawz hold up really well, the preview of the Maw Grunta compared to the Gore Gruntas shows how much better they can do. 

They hold up so well because they were clearly designed with AoS in mind. Super dynamic, not constrained by needing to rank up, and nice and fantastical. One of my favourite armies, and now that Ardboyz are also getting updated they will be a proper all-new minis army!

Just hoping for them to get desouped (but big waagh remaining possible but not a focal point of balance) and I'll start an army of them for sure!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Anyone think that the two flanking orruks on the maw-grunta are the new ardboyz?

I think they will look somewhat similar. They got their fists covered unlike Brutes that have the bare knuckles. They also got the helmets and will probably get the old weapon options including shields. The two flanking orruks also make me believe they will be a bit bigger than the old ardboyz. I just hope they wont look too much like the Brutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Oh yeah the Gore Grunta’s do not look good now. I mean I didn’t like them anyway, but now there’s a direct example of the same idea done much better, in the same army. 

• Like 3

There’s something quite charming about the gore-gruntas to my eyes. They look like big muppets/Jim Henson creations. Like something you’d see snorting through the background in Labyrinth or the Dark Crystal, or maybe the Neverending Story. Big and rubberised and not that naturalistic, not that many points of articulation. Oversized heads and cartoony teeth.

I like them but I can’t deny that they’re technically inferior to stuff like the maw-grunta and many other more recent minis, with their thick fur and broad stretched detail.

• Like 13

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Snarff said:

They hold up so well because they were clearly designed with AoS in mind. Super dynamic, not constrained by needing to rank up, and nice and fantastical. One of my favourite armies, and now that Ardboyz are also getting updated they will be a proper all-new minis army!

Just hoping for them to get desouped (but big waagh remaining possible but not a focal point of balance) and I'll start an army of them for sure!

I was thinking along the lines of how dated the 1st edition Stormcast look now compared to the more recent releases. 

If we get a similar improvement in proportion and fine detail, then we should be in for some very nice sculpts. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Oh, It seems is a 10 model unit

With drummer and standard bearer too. Looks like two weapon options: halberds/great axes, or regular swords with the occasional meat-hook in the off hand/claw.

Though it also looks like there’s a few flaming torches in the kit. Wonder what’s up with them.

• Like 2

There were some missteps in the early AoS releases and goregruntas to me were the worst of the lot. The orruks riding them look superb but the wierd chin mess on the pig lets them down.  I thought all the Khorne releases were amazing but the stormcast I wasn't overwhelmed by. I liked the concept and some of the models but it wasn't until the Vanguard range that I thought they looked great.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

With drummer and standard bearer too. Looks like two weapon options: halberds/great axes, or regular swords with the occasional meat-hook in the off hand/claw.

Though it also looks like there’s a few flaming torches in the kit. Wonder what’s up with them.

Those are drum sticks. TGA compressed pictures by a lot.
I've made an Imgur link (from PC open each image in separate window for the best quality): https://imgur.com/a/urTFNus

image.png.28bb33c3ee9b18c7a2a4cdea6cf4723f.png

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

if they release men at arms maybe we can expect grotesque ghoul knight, i had some conversion ideas.

based on grymkin

Yes I think a "cavalry " unit could be hilarious !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

Now I’m hoping they update the Crypt Horrors kit as well so that they all match this new style. I’m probably gonna run these guys with axes, but I will wait until some mad lad or gal decides to leak the battletome as well.

Crypt Horrors are hostages of dual-build for different armies, just like Terrorgheist and Black Knights. I doubt that we'll see them now as Vargheists are still in the Soulblight tome (unless they'll be dual-build once again).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I kind of like the look of the crypt horror kit still, I wouldn't be against them sticking around as the dumb muscle of the faction, but ideally I'd like to see some actual 'knights' released to take over their current role, particularly if we can get some gribbly undead fusion of horse and rider, I know Chaos has kinda taken over the body horror niche for the most part, but there's room for it in Death too!

• Like 3

Honestly the Crypt Horrors working for multiple armies should make them a higher priority for redo, the cost of the new kit can be split between two groups of players.

That said I really like the Crypt Horrors and Crypt Flayers as they are. In my mind the delusion is that these hulking creatures loping across the battlefield are seen as noble knights on their horses and pegasi and it works in a weird way. Although I'd be tempted to put skeletons on their backs as the "riders"

• Like 1