The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Jator said:

From the Financial Report:

1690304960231.jpg.5ea4525160ef32117e51810df8be3b67.jpg

How  "soon" could be "soon"? Autumn? Christmas? Not soon at all?

I remember when it wasn't just Blood Bowl that was a tongue in cheek parody... 40k taking itself far too seriously now.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, novakai said:

I believe people said there was a reset in 4th in fantasy but it was before my time 

6th edition was also a reset. 

All 4th and 5th edition army books were invalidated and a Ravering Hordes booklet was hive away in stores and with White Dwarf with get you by army lists in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Let's look at previous AoS editions to answer that question :

As the quote says, there's always be new armies every edition of AoS (just like with 40k editions now), except 3rd edition... (depends if you count KB). Also historically, there's also always been a brand new army right before a new edition : Idoneth happened right before 2nd came out, and SBGL right before 3rd dropped.
Add to that the fact that with FEC getting their BT in winter, that means all BTs will be done by early 2024. And that leaves the whole spring of 2024 completely open for a release. How could GW fill that gap ? With a new army, just like they did with IDK and SBGL. What's the army that could happen ? Chorfs, since they got a Warcry band out of nowhere, having been teased as "coming to Thondia", and the hobgrots' having a distinct art direction from KBs.

I don't see a whole trimester of nothingness for AoS between FEC and 4th. That's why I also think Chorfs are coming.

I like how you are thinking here. It would make sense for chorfs to show up soon. 

I think the same logic applies to Gitmob/ Glareface Frazzlegitz. They received Rippas Snarlfangs and Snarlfang Riders. They received some lore bits. Most important imho the part in the Gloomspite tome explaining that the Snarlfangs are just allies to the GG. Implying that their main allegiance is to another army. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I like how you are thinking here. It would make sense for chorfs to show up soon. 

I think the same logic applies to Gitmob/ Glareface Frazzlegitz. They received Rippas Snarlfangs and Snarlfang Riders. They received some lore bits. Most important imho the part in the Gloomspite tome explaining that the Snarlfangs are just allies to the GG. Implying that their main allegiance is to another army. 

Still thinks Chorfs are more likely than Gitmob gobbos, because they're a bigger household name and (arguably, but debatably) more exciting. The thing is, GW can extend the alliance between the Snarlfang riding gobbo tribes and the GSG for as long as they want. I'm not really shocked at Snarlfangs being in GSG... they have a connection to the Bad Moon in the lore after all. The absence of Chorfs is more important to me than Gitmobs not being their own separate faction.

• Like 5

I actually hazard a guess the hypothetical spring release could be destruction related just because so far Destruction have not had a big model release wave in the last two years while we went with Chaos (S2D) Order (Seraphon) Order (Cities) and assuming a big Death release with FeC.

of course we don’t know how big the next Harbringer release is for destruction but then we also assuming Skaven are getting the starter set treatment.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

As the quote says, there's always be new armies every edition of AoS (just like with 40k editions now), except 3rd edition... (depends if you count KB). Also historically, there's also always been a brand new army right before a new edition : Idoneth happened right before 2nd came out, and SBGL right before 3rd dropped.

I'm not sure how useful looking to new army's releases at the game infancy is to try to forecast new releases now that we have a much higher number of factions properly established. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see new faction releases much more rarely from now on, since there is a limit of factions they can support with the actual tome updates in each 3 year edition circle.

6 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

I'm not sure how useful looking to new army's releases at the game infancy is to try to forecast new releases now that we have a much higher number of factions properly established. I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see new faction releases much more rarely from now on, since there is a limit of factions they can support with the actual tome updates in each 3 year edition circle.

I hope they break this model somewhat next edition. I do think the future lies within free rules for each army. Just to compete with all other systems and sell more models. Maybe sell more narrative books instead? Dont know how many players still use books for their games though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

honestly i can't really see getting any more factions then maybe one per GA.

for order, the obvious hole is whatever the ****** Malerion is up to.  he's clearly meant to be a major lore figure; they've been dropping bits of lore about him for years now like Tyrion considering him more of a threat than Nagash, intentionally off-screened their fight and kept everything around it vague, everything about the shadow demons-but-not-demons, etc.  an army release for him, even just as a major expansion/reimagining to DoK, is happening at some point, but definitely not within the next 11 months and probably not for a while after that.  order might have something Eventually Maybe happen to dwarves but that'll probably be a combining of the books or (more likely imo) a side-army option like the old Legion of the First Prince to allow proper jolly cooperation.  hell, they might even just get expanded ally rules and that's it.  obviously there could be more zany things on the way like a second human order faction representing a power that isn't just Sigmar (and a little of everyone else) but that's mostly just baseless wish-listing.  with that being said, order has the most room to have discussions like that, so take that how you will.

chaos is already a huge GA and the only thing it's obviously missing is chorfs.  i really can't see them coming anytime soon for multiple reasons including the fact that their squatting didn't happen all that long ago, but with that being said i think GW making them a "side army" for Old World says 1 of 2 things.  either A, AOS is getting proper chorfs within the next four years so they put them with all the AoS-aligned armies in the "you can play them but don't ask for more than that" section.  or B, they think chorfs will do badly even with all the nostalgia bait memes going for them, and they're willing to take the risk of making new models for Tomb Kings but not them.  i think the latter is probably the case.

death is kind of complete, really, at least in terms of army count.  unless they go for some real oddball option or double-dip they kind of have all of the traditional western undead stuff.  vampires + lesser undead, ghosts, ghouls, undead constructs.  it'd be nice to have an anti-Nagash army but i'm almost certain that's what they're going to do with the Summer King anyways.

destruction is a Neat case since they can kind of just follow the rule of "vaguely fairy/folktale creatures that like to break things".  obviously the big meme is Silent People coming any day now guys believe me it's real but there's room to expand further beyond that.  what i think is most likely is orruk warclans getting better fleshed out or fully split into different books, but i'm cool admitting that's completely baseless other than the community generally disliking how the soup was handled there.  in terms of completely new army releases, eh...  maybe?  they've covered basically everything Orc-adjacent which is the foundation for the GA really so i'm not holding my breath.  all of kraggy's buddies got genocided to death so that's not happening, and we don't really have a foundation for anything but fimir.  i think they stand in about the same spot as chorfs though, only if the main thing chorfs were known for was their reproduction methods.  maybe we'll get one one day for Warcry but i don't think so.  if we ever do get an insectoid faction it'd almost certainly be in here or order which would be cool but seeing as there's not really any reason to expect anything that like other than "it's sort of an unused aesthetic" there's not much of a point to it.

tldr: delfs definitely For Real This Time within four years, chorfs probably not, death is probably getting no new armies, and destruction Could but there's no reason to expect anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bethebee said:

for order, the obvious hole is whatever the ****** Malerion is up to.  he's clearly meant to be a major lore figure; they've been dropping bits of lore about him for years now like Tyrion considering him more of a threat than Nagash, intentionally off-screened their fight and kept everything around it vague, everything about the shadow demons-but-not-demons, etc.  an army release for him, even just as a major expansion/reimagining to DoK, is happening at some point, but definitely not within the next 11 months and probably not for a while after that.  order might have something Eventually Maybe happen to dwarves but that'll probably be a combining of the books or (more likely imo) a side-army option like the old Legion of the First Prince to allow proper jolly cooperation.  hell, they might even just get expanded ally rules and that's it.  obviously there could be more zany things on the way like a second human order faction representing a power that isn't just Sigmar (and a little of everyone else) but that's mostly just baseless wish-listing.  with that being said, order has the most room to have discussions like that, so take that how you will.

chaos is already a huge GA and the only thing it's obviously missing is chorfs.  i really can't see them coming anytime soon for multiple reasons including the fact that their squatting didn't happen all that long ago, but with that being said i think GW making them a "side army" for Old World says 1 of 2 things.  either A, AOS is getting proper chorfs within the next four years so they put them with all the AoS-aligned armies in the "you can play them but don't ask for more than that" section.  or B, they think chorfs will do badly even with all the nostalgia bait memes going for them, and they're willing to take the risk of making new models for Tomb Kings but not them.  i think the latter is probably the case.

death is kind of complete, really, at least in terms of army count.  unless they go for some real oddball option or double-dip they kind of have all of the traditional western undead stuff.  vampires + lesser undead, ghosts, ghouls, undead constructs.  it'd be nice to have an anti-Nagash army but i'm almost certain that's what they're going to do with the Summer King anyways.

destruction is a Neat case since they can kind of just follow the rule of "vaguely fairy/folktale creatures that like to break things".  obviously the big meme is Silent People coming any day now guys believe me it's real but there's room to expand further beyond that.  what i think is most likely is orruk warclans getting better fleshed out or fully split into different books, but i'm cool admitting that's completely baseless other than the community generally disliking how the soup was handled there.  in terms of completely new army releases, eh...  maybe?  they've covered basically everything Orc-adjacent which is the foundation for the GA really so i'm not holding my breath.  all of kraggy's buddies got genocided to death so that's not happening, and we don't really have a foundation for anything but fimir.  i think they stand in about the same spot as chorfs though, only if the main thing chorfs were known for was their reproduction methods.  maybe we'll get one one day for Warcry but i don't think so.  if we ever do get an insectoid faction it'd almost certainly be in here or order which would be cool but seeing as there's not really any reason to expect anything that like other than "it's sort of an unused aesthetic" there's not much of a point to it.

tldr: delfs definitely For Real This Time within four years, chorfs probably not, death is probably getting no new armies, and destruction Could but there's no reason to expect anything.

Good post. I do think there is some more room in Death for an asian style death army. An army of yokai/ spirits/ demons or something along those lines. Could also somewhat oppose Nagash. Problem here is the recent Warcry warband that took inspiration from that. It looked awesome though. I have the same problem with Silent People since Sylvaneth claimed the insect theme with the last few models they received. I really think there is room for another army within death or destruction. But it could be anything really. My best bet is on another new or updated subfaction or army to be honest. There is just too much demand for those imho and should probably be anwered by GW. 

image.png.0764260891cc5c67689a73d80c57bc24.png

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

You said a lot of true things here but your vision is very pessimistic to me (at least, if you don't expect anything you won't be disappointed) 

- Malerion will be back that's fore sure, GW mentioned him too many times 

- For chaos, we still have chorfs and darkoath hanging around. GW released miniatures for both and it is a good sign to me

- Kurnothi's same as above, minis released, so expecting at least some slots in sylvaneth army if not a proper BT 

- Death is kinda complete as you said and nothing has been teased in the lore if i'm not mistaken 

- Destruction is the smallest GA in terms of BT, and insect based army has been very vaguely mentionned during Kragnos' release i guess (or was it in the underwold lore?) 

- Fimir has a chance to come back, as well as zoats because they existed once in the lore (I'm basing my assumptions on the release of W40K dwarves which has existed once decades ago and came back out of nowhere)

To me, new armies are mandatory to keep the game attractive. The fact that AoS is not anymore a growing game but is now fully develloped is not a sufficient reason to cut new BTs. W40k is way older and we still have new armies (yet less often of course) 

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong at some point :) 

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vagard said:

You said a lot of true things here but your vision is very pessimistic to me (at least, if you don't expect anything you won't be disappointed) 

- Malerion will be back that's fore sure, GW mentioned him too many times 

- For chaos, we still have chorfs and darkoath hanging around. GW released miniatures for both and it is a good sign to me

- Kurnothi's same as above, minis released, so expecting at least some slots in sylvaneth army if not a proper BT 

- Death is kinda complete as you said and nothing has been teased in the lore if i'm not mistaken 

- Destruction is the smallest GA in terms of BT, and insect based army has been very vaguely mentionned during Kragnos' release i guess (or was it in the underwold lore?) 

- Fimir has a chance to come back, as well as zoats because they existed once in the lore (I'm basing my assumptions on the release of W40K dwarves which has existed once decades ago and came back out of nowhere)

To me, new armies are mandatory to keep the game attractive. The fact that AoS is not anymore a growing game but is now fully develloped is not a sufficient reason to cut new BTs. W40k is way older and we still have new armies (yet less often of course) 

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong at some point :) 

i really don't mean to be pessimistic, but i just think sometimes the community can overhype itself with army ideas and kind of get lost in the clouds with it, y'know?  i've definitely been guilty of it before.  anyways, Malerion is like nearly 100% guaranteed to come.  i say four years since i think the best time for him to come would be during the next edition or as a headliner army for it.  i think the most natural step forward for the lore is order infighting following gains made during the crusades and the god of being a lying ****** is perfect for it.  plus, then each GA gets a "focus" as an enemy per edition, which feels consistent for obvious reasons.

kurnothi will get something but i doubt it won't just be a part of slyvaneth.  imo it's kind of like hoping Tyrion's stuff will be a new army.

destruction is tied with death but SoB is basically like a third of an army in terms of its number of units so i guess you could argue that Destruction has less.

fimir have a chance and i do think they won't be ignored forever, like i said a sidegame that has one or warcry is a possibility.  i just don't really know what role they fill after KBs outside of being cool nostalgia thing.  there is nothing wrong with the occasional cool nostalgia thing of course, but i don't think they're gonna do much with it.

in terms of your last point, i do agree with you.  new armies keep things fresh, spice up lore, add new aesthetics and attract a lot of attention to the game that otherwise wouldn't be there.  i just think that we're getting close to the ceiling with our army count, at least for now.  i wouldn't be surprised if over the next two editions there was only one new army release.  GW seems to be focused on refreshes (CoS/Seraphon) and expansions (KBs) right now, and while there definitely will be more armies eventually, it's seemingly not a main priority at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think GW would be better suited expanding the existing the current battletomes than making new armies (outside of splitting Orruks up once they have enough models for each). I'd rather see each faction get a more expanded sub-faction to get closer to the BTs that are two armies in a book, like Seraphon or Mawtribes. If each existing faction got a slightly different aesthetic, then it's also massively increasing the amount of possible armies (A faction, B faction and soup lists in each book) without having BT bloat

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, bethebee said:

i just think that we're getting close to the ceiling with our army count, at least for now.  i wouldn't be surprised if over the next two editions there was only one new army release.  GW seems to be focused on refreshes (CoS/Seraphon) and expansions (KBs) right now, and while there definitely will be more armies eventually, it's seemingly not a main priority at the moment.

I totally agree. Too much armies is bad for newbies because easier to get lost and too much work for GW. This 3rd edition was a lot more about getting rid of old WHFB minis and refreshing the roster of existing armies than entertainment about new factions. (And there is still work to do) As someone said before, every kit that has existed before the end times will eventually disappear sooner or later for many good reasons that already have been stated many times in this thread. 

We will soon reach the point where GW will have nearly updated every "old" factions (except skav, BoC, FeC and ogors YET). There is still a lot to do (CoS is a good example, there is still a lot of WHFB minis that will be erased sooner or later). 

34 minutes ago, bethebee said:

i really don't mean to be pessimistic, but i just think sometimes the community can overhype itself with army ideas and kind of get lost in the clouds with it, y'know?

We are all guilty of this sin here but hey, isn't that the point of this thread after all? :D 

My english is no on point, sorry for all the conjugation and spelling mistakes...

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still feel like Grungi will get an army too, sooner rather than later (but hopefully after FS and KO get their expansions).

Heavily armoured rune magic crafting Duardin and Gholemkind. There are only 2 Duardin factions so far (compared to 4 Aelven factions), and Grungi Duardin would fit neither FS or KO at all.

With Grungi making moves via Grombrindal but not succeeding to force KO and FS back together and outright being rejected by most of both factions, it's either going to be a Grungi faction with Grombrindal as a character, or a Grombrindal model for FS, KO and Dispo ( or even all of order).

• Thanks 2

Here's what I'd like to see in the next ten or so years for AoS.

Chorfs as a new book or part of Slaves. Also Darkoath replacing maruaders. 

Kurnothi as part of Slyvaneth

Malerion combined with Dok to make a new book. 

Gitmob expansion for Gloomspite. 

Dispossessed expansion for cities

Tyrion and river temple for Lumineth.

Seraphon style updates for mawtribes, Skaven and BoC. 

Expansions with new units for KO, Kruleboyz, Bonesplittas Fyreslayers, IDK, and OBR. 

A completely new destruction book and a completely new death book. 

That's a good balance of new stuff, expanded stuff and updated stuff while still keep a reasonable number of battletomes. 

While they're at it, they should go to a four year edition. If they did this, they could have a mid edition battle box similar to the launch box but tied to a narrative campaign rather than a new edition. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Also Darkoath replacing maruaders.

darkoath could be to chaos what cities are to stormcasts. They do not need to be a subfaction. I don't play chaos but I will be super hyped if they release a CoS-style chaos army. 

But of course it is more likely be a subfaction sadly... It will stick to the daemon/mortal subfactions present in all 4 monogod chaos BT. 

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, novakai said:

I actually hazard a guess the hypothetical spring release could be destruction related just because so far Destruction have not had a big model release wave in the last two years while we went with Chaos (S2D) Order (Seraphon) Order (Cities) and assuming a big Death release with FeC.

of course we don’t know how big the next Harbringer release is for destruction but then we also assuming Skaven are getting the starter set treatment.

Id love fot Destruction to FINALLY get its time in the Era of the Beast!!

Hopefully its an Ogor Mawtribes refresh!!

• LOVE IT! 1

Im personally still hoping DoK/Malerion and Sylvaneth/Kurnothi stay separate.

Malerion and Morathi aren't exactly friendly with each other, and the DoK identity is already strong and well-defined. I think they can go a much more interesting direction with Malerion and his Aelves, especially with the draconic depiction of Malerion we got. Just going back to Dark Elves would be a waste of potential and water down DoK heavily IMO.

Personally, I also think that Kurnothi would be a better fit for either CoS to replace the Wanderers that are now gone, or in their own book. I don't think they fit Sylvaneth well in the depictions we've had so far, but I also think that after the recent expansion of Sylvaneth the range is quite complete so it wouldn't be bad for them to be souped together even if I still would prefer them not to be. The only thing lacking currently in the Sylvaneth range would be a Kurnous model (though that would be more fitting for a dedicated Kurnothi book) and finally updating the Dryads to modern standards.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Im personally still hoping DoK/Malerion and Sylvaneth/Kurnothi stay separate.

Malerion and Morathi aren't exactly friendly with each other, and the DoK identity is already strong and well-defined. I think they can go a much more interesting direction with Malerion and his Aelves, especially with the draconic depiction of Malerion we got. Just going back to Dark Elves would be a waste of potential and water down DoK heavily IMO.

Personally, I also think that Kurnothi would be a better fit for either CoS to replace the Wanderers that are now gone, or in their own book. I don't think they fit Sylvaneth well in the depictions we've had so far, but I also think that after the recent expansion of Sylvaneth the range is quite complete so it wouldn't be bad for them to be souped together even if I still would prefer them not to be. The only thing lacking currently in the Sylvaneth range would be a Kurnous model (though that would be more fitting for a dedicated Kurnothi book) and finally updating the Dryads to modern standards.

Whitefang has hinted that kurnothi will be part of sylvaneth.

Screenshot_20230726_123849_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bethebee said:

Chorfs are definitely the next Chaos army to be added/expanded upon for AOS. Despite their recent “squatting” they’ve been one of the most requested, memed, and even teased army in the lore since first edition.

4 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Good post. I do think there is some more room in Death for an asian style death army. An army of yokai/ spirits/ demons or something along those lines. Could also somewhat oppose Nagash. Problem here is the recent Warcry warband that took inspiration from that. It looked awesome though. I have the same problem with Silent People since Sylvaneth claimed the insect theme with the last few models the received. I really think there is room for another army within death or destruction. But it could be anything really. My best bet is on another new or updated subfaction or army to be honest. There is just too much demand for those imho and should probably be anwered by GW. 

image.png.0764260891cc5c67689a73d80c57bc24.png

Oh man how I wished this army was a thing! I’ll put myself as a relatively young man by saying I grew up on early 2000s Cartoon Network, when it had a variety of shows influenced by anime and Toonami wasn’t restricted to the midnight block of Adult Swim, and 4Kids and Jetix were the only places one could watch the Yu-Gi-Oh dubs for news on what card set was about to come out. 
A yokai army could easily be done in AOS proper: have them be the servants and shards of lesser death gods broken by Nagash, coming out of the shadows following his defeat by Teclis. Their leader/“Mortarch” could be one of Despair or Entropy, as their ranks have been decimated by not one but two ages of warfare (Myth and Chaos). 
That’s all I have otherwise, since Death is basically complete: we have our vampire lords, our ghosts, werewolves (see vampires), zombies, and two flavors of mummies (OBR and the return of LONG LOST NEHEKHARA!!! Via TOW that can be proxied in), and FEC are about to be updated. Unless GW decides to do something truly radical, there’s not much left for Death in AOS….

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vagard said:

lore (I'm basing my assumptions on the release of W40K dwarves which has existed once decades ago and came back out of nowhere)

I'd like to see Fimir return as part of Kruleboyz, seems like a good fit to me - swamp-dwelling, slave-taking, malign creatures who use sorcerous mists to conceal themselves from enemies.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 4

I don't recall if fimir were allied to orruks in the past but weren't they more friendly with chaos than other factions? 

Plus there is already 3 subfactions in the Orruks BT today, 4 will be to much IMO. Anyways we won't have the answer quickly since chorfs and malerion elves have more chances to be released sooner. 

Edited by Vagard
  • Like 1