The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

I'm being 100% serious on that, but in such case, can we think of any other rational reasons for the societies of the original Cities to get fragmented in this way other than racism?

They will just do it like in 40k with races that use other species. Just ignore it lol.

Does not chage the lore nor does it break it. Saying it's a Sigmar crusade also let's it stay mostly human since GW can can the other races workshop other gods.

Hell, as someone said in these forums them using orges is just them copying the human faction in 40k.

Edited by RyantheFett

I don't get the GW has given the okay to proxy, they have always supported conversions and modelling freedom. 

Yes, they ask that all models at their stores and events are GW ones and rightly so but conversions and proxys have always been permitted. 

I've been to many events at Warhammer World where entire armies have been converted. Let's not forget, the staff in stores and who run events are hobbiests as well and like to see cool and wonderful armies!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

The Honest Wargamer goes over the Cities article and give some interesting takes/insight/rumors. Some highlights:

• He is in the camp that Cities will end up as an all human army in a few years.
  • Mentions the rumors of both dark elves and dwarfs getting their own factions at some point.
  • Thinks the current dark elves and dwarf modles will be used as the starter of those new armies.
  • Notes how big GW giving people the Ok to proxy is and how GW is scared this move may upset the fans.
  • Thinks a lot of the mage stuff stayed since it would not go with the lore of the Old World.

He doesn't know more than any of us. He is also deeply cynical about GW. He talks about Umbraneth even though that was debunked as a fake ages ago.  There's no way cities is ever going human only. GW is just a monolithic company that is slow to react to the needs of the playerbase. Remember when AoS first launched. The playerbase bemoaned the lack of Aelves. Three years later, they arrived. People have been clamouring for normal humans for ages, so gw has made so normal humans. I'm sure the cities of Sigmar miniature project was started before the 2nd edition book came out. In the last three years the fanbase has fallen in love with the cosmopolitan nature of the Cities. There is no way GW doesn't eventually lean into that. It will probably take another three years though. 

As for proxies GW has always been ok with them so long as the models are gw ones. A full halfing cities of Sigmar army won best painted at a Warhammer world tournament a couple of years ago. It's really the American competitive 40k events that have been most strict and I've never heard of a single AoS TO GW included who has forbidden someone from taking a proxy so long as it isn't confusing and is based appropriately. Rob likes to attack Warhammer world at every opportunity and in some cases it's justified but not when it comes to this. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Hell, as someone said in these forums them using orges is just them copying the human faction in 40k.

It's rather reference to old WFB games like Mordheim, where humans were able to hire Ogres, especially in Ostland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

In my opinion, Dark Elves generally fit well because they are the elves that are motivated by a desire for status and wealth more than any big ideological reasons. There are a lot of opportunities for near-immortal beings to accumulate those in regular cities of the realms.

While this is true, I don’t think that these maniacle dark elve in search for power will work or understand the tree huggers and tree-people too well.

and living city pretty much is that.

15 minutes ago, Chikout said:

from taking a proxy

Considering that a conversion is in theory nothing but a proxy for another model😜,

and as somebody who plays skaven (and has build a ton of new units and converted a lot of stormvermins/clanrats into amazing looking weapon teams) I definitely know what I’m talking about

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

In the last three years the fanbase has fallen in love with the cosmopolitan nature of the Cities. There is no way GW doesn't eventually lean into that. It will probably take another three years though. 

Hopefully you are right because I love the cosmopolitan nature of the army and think GW would be crazy to just do nothing with it. Easily my favorite faction.

On the other hand, the removal of two whole races is not a good sign and it will take years before we get any real answers. Made worse by the belief that all those old models will get removed at some point by a chunk of the community. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RyantheFett said:

Hopefully you are right because I love the cosmopolitan nature of the army and think GW would be crazy to just do nothing with it. Easily my favorite faction.

On the other hand, the removal of two whole races is not a good sign and it will take years before we get any real answers. Made worse by the belief that all those old models will get removed at some point by a chunk of the community. 

We'll see. I think the cosmopolitan theme would be stronger if Cities was made out of dedicated city humans, city elves and city dwarves rather than empire humans, mountain dwarves, dark elves, wood elves and two high elf kits (for some reason). That will require at least two more waves of refreshes, though.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

I think part of the problem was that in the second edition book half the warscrolls are Aelves. In the lore it's always been stated that Aelves not made by one of the gods were rare. That's why Teclis, Morathi and co captured Slaanesh. Now with more than half the book made up of humans, the balance is much better. Another reason why I'm optimistic about mixed units in the future is the fact that they've already done it in warcry. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I think part of the problem was that in the second edition book half the warscrolls are Aelves. In the lore it's always been stated that Aelves not made by one of the gods were rare. That's why Teclis, Morathi and co captured Slaanesh. Now with more than half the book made up of humans, the balance is much better. Another reason why I'm optimistic about mixed units in the future is the fact that they've already done it in warcry. 

Gives-me-hope GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

They do it for warcry but keep in mind those kits have limited options and often are monopose with little variety of units compare to regular Sigmar kits.

design mixed race spure is harder and may not be something they will do for mainline products that why they generally have units be uniform body and height proportions as it allows a bit of mixing and matching easier.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

We'll see. I think the cosmopolitan theme would be stronger if Cities was made out of dedicated city humans, city elves and city dwarves rather than empire humans, mountain dwarves, dark elves, wood elves and two high elf kits (for some reason). That will require at least two more waves of refreshes, though.

Seem a bit optimistic to expect consistent model release for one army, at best what will happen is there happen to be a second wave next edition (which I think it just be mostly freeguild again just to update the remaining empire units) and then it be foot hero city for the next 6- 9 years.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

They do it for warcry but keep in mind those kits have limited options and often are monopose with little variety of units compare to regular Sigmar kits.

design mixed race spure is harder and may not be something they will do for mainline products that why they generally have units be uniform body and height proportions as it allows a bit of mixing and matching easier.

Yeah, I think that is an issue especially when you add in the fact that they want to do men and women and even a variety of body types. What I’d really love is a new season of Warcry that does for cities what the first edition did for slaves to darkness. 8 warbands each from a different city and each with a different selection of races. Maybe they could be searching through the ruins of Phoenician after it is destroyed by a comet. 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

10 minutes ago, novakai said:

Seem a bit optimistic to expect consistent model release for one army, at best what will happen is there happen to be a second wave next edition (which I think it just be mostly freeguild again just to update the remaining empire units) and then it be foot hero city for the next 6- 9 years.

That's just a matter of willingness to commit on part of GW. There are no substantial barriers to it.

Just now, Chikout said:

Yeah, I think that is an issue especially when you add in the fact that they want to do men and women and even a variety of body types. What I’d really love is a new season of Warcry that does for cities what the first edition did for slaves to darkness. 8 warbands each from a different city and each with a different selection of races. Maybe they could be searching through the ruins of Phoenician after it is destroyed by a comet. 

People didn’t like the first edition of warcry or at least not the whole only slaves to darkness got all the models and warbands. I pretty sure that sour the potential playerbase at the time. I doubt they will go back to that release structure.

keep in mind City is just one army out of 24, they not some exception compare to other armies.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

i'm ok with non mixed unit , instead we could have mixed race specific stuff, like aelf with  black powder, duardin using dark elf poison, even fireslayer flagelant, ogor priest or academic mage.

even gitz devoted to sigmar, orruk city guard, outcast skaven, nighthaunt heroes from the past, soulblight renegade, FEC  Abhorant ghoul noble knight etc. 🤪

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

People didn’t like the first edition of warcry or at least not the whole only slaves to darkness got all the models and warbands.

Where did you get "People didn't like the first edition of Warcry?" From most accounts, the game was super well received. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

People didn’t like the first edition of warcry or at least not the whole only slaves to darkness got all the models and warbands. I pretty sure that sour the potential playerbase at the time. I doubt they will go back to that release structure.

keep in mind City is just one army out of 24, they not some exception compare to other armies.

I don't know. A season of the game with ruined city scenery,  mercenaries from different cities, a witch hunter warband and maybe a warband of female priests sounds ok. I think a completely original idea like that might work. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

23 minutes ago, novakai said:

Yeah, I agree. Outside of one-off bits like Warcry or a random artillery dwarf I wouldn't ever expect to see mixed race units. It's more likely to me that if we ever see new "City Elf" or "City Dwarf" models they'll be their own auxillary units.  Something like a unit of aelven scouts or duardin engineers to flesh out the range someday after the human elements feel fully explored seems more reasonable to me. A little splash of multi-racial flavor like the Ogre warhulk without taking away from the overall focus on humans.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

I don't know. A season of the game with ruined city scenery,  mercenaries from different cities, a witch hunter warband and maybe a warband of female priests sounds ok. I think a completely original idea like that might work. 😉

it work if it spread out over several years with warbands for other army being release as well. it be boring to the overall age of sigmar playerbase if for a whole 2 years it was just city warbands just like how it was in the first edition of warcry.

my point is other army also have not gotten a warcry warband yet either

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Where did you get "People didn't like the first edition of Warcry?" From most accounts, the game was super well received. 

People didn’t like that it was only chaos warbands being release, there are like 24 other armies in Sigmar and every warband was Slaves to darkness.

They ran to some slump into the audience interest during the intital marketing so they did a last minute run in Warcry cards for other warbands, the game was not initially suppose to have the other sigmar armies in it. (That why they only had like 9 initial  AoS armies in War cry since they couldn’t get rest out in time)  But interest wayne during the warband reveals so they tried to savage it a bit.

they did a very costly reboxing of the warcry warbands into double units in order to move the chaos warband out faster too not that long afterward

For Heart of Ghur they finally learn it was a bad idea and finally they started to go into other armies like Seraphon and Soulblight.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, novakai said:

People didn’t like that it was only chaos warbands being release

Who? Who are these people you are talking for? If you didn't like it that is fine. But generating a narrative to support your own personal opinion is skewed. 

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

They ran to some slump into the audience interest during the intital marketing so they did a last minute run in Warcry cards for other warbands

How do you know this information? The product design workflow run months/years in advance. GW doesn't do "last-minute" I could see the double packaging of warbands as perhaps shifting excess stock, but that is just speculation. You seem to know definitively? 

The game is going really strong (and it is basically a product equivalent to a single well-served Faction line for either 40k or AoS) I agree with diversification, but always felt that was on the cards as I would have thought GW didn't intend on ONLY releasing Choas bands forever.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2