The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Well, my Necrons' Reanimation rules look to have the exact same problems as they had back in 8th Edition, and I can thus safely refocus my time and energy back to AoS news! When do you think we'll get more Cities reveals?

I suspect they'll really pick up once Seraphon is fully released, which I guess will be in the next month or so? Outside of that I imagine we'll only get little bits and pieces at events.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I suspect they'll really pick up once Seraphon is fully released, which I guess will be in the next month or so? Outside of that I imagine we'll only get little bits and pieces at events.

Im hoping, according to the release schedule that Seraphon on first but both the full release of them and the first Dawnbringers is out before 10th. We basically have 20th, 27th, 3rd and 10th as release dates for things. We don't have much non-FW stuff for 40k so its possible to get. Provided 10th goes on pre-order on the 10th and releases the 24th. 

Seraphon full release - (might be over 2 weeks)
Warcry release
Dawbringer release
Necromunda release

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Oh, I am very much in doubt of that. Okd players will use their old armies, which remain up-to-date modelwise (big lol there)

New Players (from what I could gather) aren’t keen on old models and the lack of desperately needed model updates.

And then there’s me: They can go and old world themselves for all I care. They‘ve taken the wind out of the sails for that ship by daring to show me those old f*gly Bretonnian Knights - now only thrice the price!

It's hard to know where players stand on which models they prefer, so I won't touch on that. But, speaking for myself, I feel very torn on TOW myself, too. I like the idea of having it back but simultaneously you want a setting where the timeline currently is active and where new things can happen. Prequels aren't terribly engaging. In that sense AoS feels more compelling now.

Also I think the new Lizard, Chaos, SBGL etc models they have released recently are far better than the old WHFB stuff, so even as an old player I'd rather use those than old models. But then again, there are also some old models - often metals - that I prefer to current ranges: Longbeards, Ghouls, and Savage Orcs immediately come to mind here. What setting or minis ultimately will be best depends on what they decide to expand on in the future, I guess...

6 hours ago, Beliman said:

That's really weird argument when everything that GW said about TOW focus on how it fits with Fantasy timeline and AoS.

The point of the speculation is just based on lacking trust in them based on past experience. They are obviously willing to throw long-time players under the bus in many ways, whether by squatting their armies or the entire setting they are playing in. What they say about the short term won't guarantee how things might go in, say, 5-10 years.

Now, true, I am speculating here. Nothing suggests that they will do this again. But, simultaneously, nothing suggests that they won't. It's dangerous to trust GW too much in the light of their history. Hence, we have reason to be a bit wary of where they might go. That was what my post was supposed to convey. But as it isn't strictly speaking a rumour, I'll be quiet about it (in this thread, at least) from now and on. :)

Edited by Dawi not Duardin
grammar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

I like the idea of having it back but simultaneously you want a setting where the timeline currently is active and where new things can happen. Prequels aren't terribly engaging. In that sense AoS feels more compelling now.

I personally think it's very "Warhammery" to have a setting where you know the dark powers get the upper hand but the protagonists fight to the bitter end and last man anyway. With Age Of Sigmar carrying echoes of "The World That Was" there is no reason why things can't happen. It's fantasy... so much potential. 

You have 500 years of history to document and explore pre-end times. It could be interesting to have a narrative from an elven mage's perspective, haunted by visions and premonitions of the End Times 400 years before they occur, they have to try and put machinations in place many years before the actual events of the End Times to ensure their essence endures into the mortal realms. 

There are many Old World Characters that transcended the apocalypse. Was it their strength of essence that carried them across the void or did some foresee the approaching calamity and marshaled their forces and resources in preparation?  I think the Old World should really embrace The End Times. There is so much potential in further exploration of how it all went down.

Perhaps there could be an Age Of Sigmar story regarding a party of plucky adventurers falling into the bowels of a Seraphon Temple deep in the Realm of Ghur. They are stripped of their weapons and armor through a series of misadventures only to come upon a tomb filled with a series of reflecting pools. A Skink Star Priest appears to explain to them that as humans, they must take a message to another human on the Seraphon's behalf. A message which is very important but that can only be given by one human to another. The Skink explains that the human's name is Karl Franz, The Location Altdorf. The adventurers enter the reflecting pools, which act as portals through time and space - directly to The World That Was. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

6 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Well, my Necrons' Reanimation rules look to have the exact same problems as they had back in 8th Edition, and I can thus safely refocus my time and energy back to AoS news! When do you think we'll get more Cities reveals?

As a Necron player its a lot better then what the 9th version is

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

As a Necron player its a lot better then what the 9th version is

As a Necrons player who played 8th ed, where the rule was also "hope your units survive long enough to reanimate in the command phase, then all of them can potentially come back over the course of the game" - no, no it is absolutely not, and most players who played seriously in 8th can tell you the same. It was functionally non-existent in standard 2,000-pt games against any decent opponent, who will have the skill to use their firepower to maximum effect and wipe each unit one at a time, and oppressive in smaller games and in more casual settings since you can entirely negate several turns of damage against people who don't have that skill and/or firepower. And while some stuff has changed in 10e, the source of the issues - I-Go-You-Go round structure and phase timing - have remained functionally same since 8e.

Any durability mechanic that can be entirely removed from a unit by meeting a damage gate - in this case, wiping the unit - is going to suffer from the same issues of inconsistency and difficulty with balance. 9th Ed had its flaws, but it was a step up from 8th Ed and I cannot believe GW is returning to a design that was panned and criticised by so many Necrons players by the end of 8th edition.

I could be wrong, of course - but when a company designs rule A is designed with intent B, and the last time it was tried it led to outcome C despite attempts to mitigate that, and then that same company designs rule A again with intent B again, I feel very comfortable assuming it will lead to result C despite further attempts to mitigate it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd
  • Like 1

I always wanted to do a wooden necron army but not interested in playing 40k. Then the Osiarchs dropped and I was like hell yeah!! Proxy force here I come. 

"Osiarch Wood Widdlers" or something. Heh. 

To give credit where credit is due I originally got the idea from Bloodybeast. I'd just use the actual necron heads though. 

NecronLychguardOfPumpkinDynastyBig.jpg.460ad3c74c77ace0a26fb6ef894b1b6b.jpg

https://bloodybeast.com/blog/2014/10/10/necron-lychguards-of-the-pumpkin-dynasty/

And as for the "Rumors " thread getting off course I think most of us that have been here awhile can't argue this has organically grown into a bit of gen chat as well. The mods here are great about keeping it on course if it derails too far so props to you folks for keeping a nice place to kick it.  

Rando post over. 

Night, y'all. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

I always wanted to do a wooden necron army but not interested in playing 40k. Then the Osiarchs dropped and I was like hell yeah!! Proxy force here I come. 

"Osiarch Wood Widdlers" or something. Heh. 

To give credit where credit is due I originally got the idea from Bloodybeast. I'd just used the actual necron heads though. 

NecronLychguardOfPumpkinDynastyBig.jpg.460ad3c74c77ace0a26fb6ef894b1b6b.jpg

https://bloodybeast.com/blog/2014/10/10/necron-lychguards-of-the-pumpkin-dynasty/

And as for the "Rumors " thread getting off course I think most of us that have been here awhile can't argue this has organically grown into a bit of gen chat as well. The mods here are great about keeping it on course if it derails too far so props to you folks for keeping a nice place to kick it.  

Rando post over. 

Night, y'all. 

One of the nice things about Bonereapers is how their core faction identity is more about their tactics and commands - the reanimation is more of a nice-to-have cherry on top that links it to the other Death factions, so it doesn't have to have too much impact. When it happens, it's nice and not insignificant, but it's not like a unit getting wiped before it ever gets a chance to reanimate feels like you're missing your faction's core ability, you know?

Anyway, back to rumors. How about those Kurnothi? Do we think they'll be more faun-like, or like Qulathis from Cursed City? I'm hoping for some feral vibes, myself - deer-skull helms and the like.

• Like 2

@acr0ssth3p0nd 

My votes on Qulathis. Much prefer traditional looking to the satyr aelves. But they seemed to have gone over well with fans and the design even made it into the Black Talon cartoon so safe bet on satyr aelves. 

I think I'll have to wait for new Dark Aelves before I start any aelvan AoS force that I like enough to collect. 🤞

• Like 5

3 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

As a Necrons player who played 8th ed, where the rule was also "hope your units survive long enough to reanimate in the command phase, then all of them can potentially come back over the course of the game" - no, no it is absolutely not, and most players who played seriously in 8th can tell you the same. It was functionally non-existent in standard 2,000-pt games against any decent opponent, who will have the skill to use their firepower to maximum effect and wipe each unit one at a time, and oppressive in smaller games and in more casual settings since you can entirely negate several turns of damage against people who don't have that skill and/or firepower. And while some stuff has changed in 10e, the source of the issues - I-Go-You-Go round structure and phase timing - have remained functionally same since 8e.

Any durability mechanic that can be entirely removed from a unit by meeting a damage gate - in this case, wiping the unit - is going to suffer from the same issues of inconsistency and difficulty with balance. 9th Ed had its flaws, but it was a step up from 8th Ed and I cannot believe GW is returning to a design that was panned and criticised by so many Necrons players by the end of 8th edition.

I could be wrong, of course - but when a company designs rule A is designed with intent B, and the last time it was tried it led to outcome C despite attempts to mitigate that, and then that same company designs rule A again with intent B again, I feel very comfortable assuming it will lead to result C despite further attempts to mitigate it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

If the index rules are great, how will they sell you codex when the time comes? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Anyway, back to rumors. How about those Kurnothi? Do we think they'll be more faun-like, or like Qulathis from Cursed City? I'm hoping for some feral vibes, myself - deer-skull helms and the like.

Faun/Satyr Aelves would be amazing.Qualthis could have just been a wanderer, Skaeth and his band are much more unique and inspired.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Why not both? :P

Yeah that's what I am going for. The centaur from the Warband in particular looks awesome (I love how it's reminiscent of Wild Riders, but sort of they're natural evolution) so I'd like to see it used as the basis for a unit in a potential Kurnothi army. The Satyrs are cool, if he happy having them as the basis for a melee unit as well (perhaps a new wardancer style unit), but I'm also happy to have more low key Qualthis style Kurnothis too.

What I really want is an AoS centre piecing version of Orion/Kurnoth. Orion had some great art in Warhammer, but better of his minis even really captured it. We know that GW can achieve amazing results but, so give us an amazing giant Satyr dude. The Mortal Realms needs it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

50 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Yeah that's what I am going for. The centaur from the Warband in particular looks awesome (I love how it's reminiscent of Wild Riders, but sort of they're natural evolution) so I'd like to see it used as the basis for a unit in a potential Kurnothi army. The Satyrs are cool, if he happy having them as the basis for a melee unit as well (perhaps a new wardancer style unit), but I'm also happy to have more low key Qualthis style Kurnothis too.

What I really want is an AoS centre piecing version of Orion/Kurnoth. Orion had some great art in Warhammer, but better of his minis even really captured it. We know that GW can achieve amazing results but, so give us an amazing giant Satyr dude. The Mortal Realms needs it!

Man I need to do more Kurnoth art. I've got this idea floating in my head of a deer centaur with 4 arms and 6 legs and a weird, hungry face that looks like a cross between a kruelboyz and an aelf with antlers...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

@acr0ssth3p0nd 

I think I'll have to wait for new Dark Aelves before I start any aelvan AoS force that I like enough to collect. 

I really need to see new Dark Aelves models. I'm curious about the direction they take with them. 

I'm a bit surprised GW still hasn't introduced them. In many Warhammer card, board and video games Dark Elves were treated as one of the main factions, next to Empire, Greenskinz, Dwarfs, Chaos and High Elves.

4 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I really need to see new Dark Aelves models. I'm curious about the direction they take with them. 

I'm a bit surprised GW still hasn't introduced them. In many Warhammer card, board and video games Dark Elves were treated as one of the main factions, next to Empire, Greenskinz, Dwarfs, Chaos and High Elves.

Perhaps they're struggling to find a niche for them outside of CoS/DoK? The latter, especially, already has a lot of the sneaky assassin + death by a thousand cuts of Dark Elves. CoS has the rest with their standing military and monsters. Even the shadow elves for the side games gives off immediate DoK vibes as there isn't much to visually differentiate them. However, if CoS takes a decided focus on the human elements of CoS then another door would open up.

That said, I think we're eventually will see a new elf faction with Malerion in the centre. Hopefully after Chorfs though. 😄

1 minute ago, pnkdth said:

Perhaps they're struggling to find a niche for them outside of CoS/DoK? The latter, especially, already has a lot of the sneaky assassin + death by a thousand cuts of Dark Elves. CoS has the rest with their standing military and monsters. Even the shadow elves for the side games gives off immediate DoK vibes as there isn't much to visually differentiate them. However, if CoS takes a decided focus on the human elements of CoS then another door would open up.

That said, I think we're eventually will see a new elf faction with Malerion in the centre. Hopefully after Chorfs though. 😄

To be honest I feel Dark Elves even when looking at many mortal Slaneesh models. Seekers, Painbringers, Twinsouls...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

@acr0ssth3p0nd 

My votes on Qulathis. Much prefer traditional looking to the satyr aelves. But they seemed to have gone over well with fans and the design even made it into the Black Talon cartoon so safe bet on satyr aelves. 

I think I'll have to wait for new Dark Aelves before I start any aelvan AoS force that I like enough to collect. 🤞

100% agreed. I can only agree so much but Qulathis is a stunning mini, pretty much perfection while the Wild Hunt guys are kinda laughable imo and only overlap with Beastmen… but I guess some like the Pan look, so I hope they‘ll add both variants to Sylvaneth one day. 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 10:34 AM, Goatforce said:

That's a point, plus the on foot Slaanesh Viceleader is still resin if I remember correctly, so that might be what gets updated.

Still will have my fingers crossed for Valkia getting the SIgvald treatment though!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! But if Nurgle, Slaanesh and then Khorne get old/new champions, I wanna see an Aekold Helbrass or Egrimm Van Horstmann too one day. 😇

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

To be honest I feel Dark Elves even when looking at many mortal Slaneesh models. Seekers, Painbringers, Twinsouls...

Kinda like with the new Dark Eldar that really just stole Chaos‘ shtick (T-visors) in their redesign a couple of years ago… time to steal something back I guess! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

I think they'll definitely be popular when they eventually arrive, but I'm guessing GW want to save that popularity for a big release. The obvious time would be a new edition launch (and we are "due" an SCE vs. order launch box given we've gone through all other grand alliances, so I am hoping).

• Like 1