The Rumour Thread

It's true, hero models are definitely straightforward for GW to add, and in AoS they don't have to worry so much about giving a hero model a butt-load of options for every pistol/combi-weapon + power weapon combo that's ever existed to satisfy 40k players.

The advantage is also that many heroes in AoS are a little easier to convert. Especially in the case of foot heroes, sometimes one could simply be a slightly souped up version of a regular troop, given a different paint scheme or back banner or something.

As said above, it also gives players new options and new life into units that they may like, or may not have thought to try.

My personal hope is that we start seeing Hero + Unit like what Gloomspite Gitz and Sylvaneth got. Not a massive update, but definitely something fun and interesting as a way to update an army without breaking the bank.

Think about it from GW's perspective: Eventually they will *run out* of things to update from old resin, metal, or plastic. In 10 years, when most everything is 'modern' plastic, what do they update? Take the new skeletons from SBGL. At what point will those skeletons be deemed out of date and need new models? 10 years from now? 15? 

I think the real hint of change will be when GW takes a 1st edition Stormcast unit or a Primaris marine and gives them a replacement unit. The day they update Intercessors to have a new kit we'll know the end times are upon us XD

Something just screams to me that we are getting some kind of rework within the Destruction factions before the ends of this edition. Could be a second wave for Ironjawz or a new Bonesplitterz subfaction. Glareface Frazzlegitz are also heavily mentioned in the lore and the Snarlfang Riders single kit release is just odd. Could they be getting a new tome? Are Kragnos and Gordrakk parting wayz? I can see this happening before we are seeing a new army release for Destruction. Unless GW decides to pull another Kragnos on us and release a lore bomb out of nowhere.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Something just screams to me that we are getting some kind of rework within the Destruction factions before the ends of this edition. Could be a second wave for Ironjawz or a new Bonesplitterz subfaction. Glareface Frazzlegitz are also heavily mentioned in the lore and the Snarlfang Riders single kit release is just odd. Could they be getting a new tome? Are Kragnos and Gordrakk parting wayz? I can see this happening before we are seeing a new army release for Destruction. Unless GW decides to pull another Kragnos on us and release a lore bomb out of nowhere.

I think Whitefang hinted something more for Orruk warclans before the end of the edition : isn't?

Maybe something that will come along with next narrative campaign "broken Realms style".

1 hour ago, RileyArlic said:

Think about it from GW's perspective: Eventually they will *run out* of things to update from old resin, metal, or plastic. In 10 years, when most everything is 'modern' plastic, what do they update? Take the new skeletons from SBGL. At what point will those skeletons be deemed out of date and need new models? 10 years from now? 15?

It's an interesting question to think about isn't it. Perhaps there'll be a revolution in mini design akin to the move from hand sculpted prototypes being cast in metal to CAD designed designs being cast in plastic, but I'm not sure what that might be.

Without such a revolution it seems as though the only real option will be to change aesthetics and try to convince people the new ones are better than the old ones, but that's not as reliable as redesigning old metal and resin minis in modern plastic.

I wouldn't want to be the CEO of GW in ten it fifteen years time I have to say.

18 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

It's an interesting question to think about isn't it. Perhaps there'll be a revolution in mini design akin to the move from hand sculpted prototypes being cast in metal to CAD designed designs being cast in plastic, but I'm not sure what that might be.

Without such a revolution it seems as though the only real option will be to change aesthetics and try to convince people the new ones are better than the old ones, but that's not as reliable as redesigning old metal and resin minis in modern plastic.

Even if there will be a revolution in design that makes it possible to have way more detail on a model, there is only so much detail you can add until the painting side will get too tedious. You can also not really just keep adding new armies as their three year cycle until a new edition only allows so many battletomes to be released so unless they change the edition duration there is a maximum there too. 

Another way would be just keep adding units to existing armies which also doesn't work infinitely as you reach a limit where different warscrolls are just worse versions of others. So the only real way is rereleasing the same units which also has the problem of how are you getting players to buy them if they already have the old versions? Adding weapon options has the same problem as adding units. 

Of course that point is far in the future even more so for AoS than 40k but still I have no idea what they could do if they reach that point

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

If GW keeps growing, I'm sure it'll become a non-issue. The focus will become expanding units and options, exploring characters that haven't had much limelight, and giving old units new options they haven't had before (ala kill team sprues but maybe for other purposes). 

As Matrindur pointed out, eventually bloat does become an issue no matter how you slice it, but there are still a dozen factions for both 40k and AoS they could explore and add to. Small factions like Genestealer Cults and Harlequins on 40k side and Idoneth Deepkin and Fyreslayers on the AoS side, not to mention things we haven't even seen yet. There's plenty of room to grow, and only time will tell where the range of models simply ceases to be able to support itself. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, cyrus said:

I think Whitefang hinted something more for Orruk warclans before the end of the edition : isn't?

Maybe something that will come along with next narrative campaign "broken Realms style".

I just dont know what is being hinted at here to be honest. More soup? Less soup? Another wave?

On 3/4/2023 at 10:57 PM, KingKull said:

Given that I've impulsively ordered the new beastlord even though I don't have my first army sorted yet, does anyone know when the existing gors and other beastmen are from?

I remember they got a massive refresh shortly before I left the hobby as a young teen, but I can't remember what were the things that got updated and what they got.

Another related question, what are the odds of having beasts redone in the relatively near future?

From what I remember a lot of the sprues are from 7ED WHFB. See below (Sourced from Collector-Info and the citadel 2010 catalogue):

- Bestigors, Gors and Ungors were updated and released in 2010.

- Beastmen Chariot = Somewhere around 2005 (then repacked 2012)

- Chaos Spawns = Somewhere before 2008

- Beastmen Minotaurs = I believe 2011

- Centigors = 2006 (then repacked 2012)

- Doombull = 2012

- Razorgor = 2012

- Chaos Warhounds = 2008

- Cygor / Ghorgon = 2011

- Jabberslythe = 2012

These are directional, but I can remember (as a kid) when Gors and Ungors were the same sprue, but then they expanded it (around 2006 I believe. Most of the line are about 10-15 years old, so you would *hope* that the lines get refreshed. But I wouldn't expect them being refreshed for a few years at least at this point...

• Thanks 2

I was just going through the webstore for the updated prices and I realized that nearly all heroes that are in vanguard boxes can't be bought separately anymore. That probably happened when each army got their reboxing but I only just noticed it.

Now if you want one of those heroes you need to buy the whole Vanguard instead.

And I really can't think of a reason for GW to not at least leave them as webstore exclusives (as was the case for the SC sets) except greed in wanting people to buy the whole Vanguard instead of just the single model they want.

Edited by Matrindur

3 hours ago, RileyArlic said:

It's true, hero models are definitely straightforward for GW to add, and in AoS they don't have to worry so much about giving a hero model a butt-load of options for every pistol/combi-weapon + power weapon combo that's ever existed to satisfy 40k players.

The advantage is also that many heroes in AoS are a little easier to convert. Especially in the case of foot heroes, sometimes one could simply be a slightly souped up version of a regular troop, given a different paint scheme or back banner or something.

As said above, it also gives players new options and new life into units that they may like, or may not have thought to try.

My personal hope is that we start seeing Hero + Unit like what Gloomspite Gitz and Sylvaneth got. Not a massive update, but definitely something fun and interesting as a way to update an army without breaking the bank.

I think the real hint of change will be when GW takes a 1st edition Stormcast unit or a Primaris marine and gives them a replacement unit. The day they update Intercessors to have a new kit we'll know the end times are upon us XD

I can't speak about 10-15 years in the future, but imagine a skeletons set where you can make the skeletons look as if they were of different factions before their death. Shields and heads you can magnetize on and off so you can mirror the faction you are currently fighting against.

There are a lot of options that can be done, but are currently unexplored.

EDIT: I also don't think everything is in need of an upgrade to keep up with current minis. Skinks are old, for instance, but they hold up really well. Crossbowmen are also old, but they are awful. In 10 years, the skinks might no longer be up to it and get a refresh.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, DinoJon said:

Most likely Kroxigor and "Cold One" Riders.  Those were at least semi confirmed. 

I'm holding out hope for another hero whether it's mounted or foot I don't care. Also hoping the Spawn of Chotec making a razordon and maybe a new monster/warmachine/big thing. 

Maybe the new Saurus cavalry will give you the option to build one miniature as a hero. A bit like how SCE can build the Knight Draconis out of the Stormdrake Guard kit. That would be a way for GW to provide more options at less costs. 

9 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

War Cry has been alluding to Chaos Dwarfs making their way into Thondia with the Horns of Hashut being the scouting force, which may not be a coincidence. 

Chaos Dwarfs are coming to Total Warhammer and GW has a record of making AoS releases correspond with DLC releases for the game. Like for example, Lumineth wave 1 released a little bit after the Eltharion vs Grom DLC, and we got the plastic Curseling model right before the Champions of Chaos DLC. For me, the Chaos Dwarf DLC for TWW3 is another sign the Dawi Zharr are coming back to tabletop. 

2 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I just dont know what is being hinted at here to be honest. More soup? Less soup? Another wave?

I think  new rules/fluff/miniatures through next narrative campaign is the most likely.

New Wurrgog/Wardokk models will be more than welcome as a rework of big waagh rules and some underwhelming warscrolls.

3 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

It wasn't uncommon for metal minis to be replaced with other metal minis representing the same unit back in the day, often with immense improvements. Compare the Longbeard models below - the updated 6th edition metal Longbeards are IMO the best GW infantry models ever. They went from cartoons in 4th/5th edition to being truly impressive. You can easily imagine similar improvements made to a lot of current models, such as the Fyreslayers. I wouldn't be too worried about the future. :) 

image.jpeg.fb8f8462c220e7e8b4382a94c90d0ee6.jpeg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Dawi not Duardin
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

45 minutes ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

It wasn't uncommon for metal minis to be replaced with other metal minis representing the same unit back in the day, often with immense improvements. Compare the Longbeard models below - the updated 6th edition metal Longbeards are IMO the best GW infantry models ever. They went from cartoons in 4th/5th edition to being truly impressive. You can easily imagine similar improvements made to a lot of current models, such as the Fyreslayers. I wouldn't be too worried about the future. :) 

image.jpeg.fb8f8462c220e7e8b4382a94c90d0ee6.jpeg

s-l1600.jpg

Oh I'm not hugely worried about the future. In 10-15 years time I'll be fairly old, and will own a pile of grey plastic that works approximately as much as I do (if a Mad Max collapse hasn't happened yet) so whatever happens I'll be fine 😄

The issue with creating new versions if old sculpts is each time you do it you split players between those who like the new ones, and those who prefer the old ones, so it's unlikely to keep the same degree of growth as be stuff and/or updates of really old stuff. Like, if GW made new Namarti Thralls I have terrible imagining they'd be so obviously better than the current excellent sculpts that loads of people wouldn't just prefer the existing ones. If they are similar enough I guess people would mix them with the old ones, but again that probably wouldn't result in as many days as entirely new ideas.

35 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Oh I'm not hugely worried about the future. In 10-15 years time I'll be fairly old, and will own a pile of grey plastic that works approximately as much as I do (if a Mad Max collapse hasn't happened yet) so whatever happens I'll be fine 😄

The issue with creating new versions if old sculpts is each time you do it you split players between those who like the new ones, and those who prefer the old ones, so it's unlikely to keep the same degree of growth as be stuff and/or updates of really old stuff. Like, if GW made new Namarti Thralls I have terrible imagining they'd be so obviously better than the current excellent sculpts that loads of people wouldn't just prefer the existing ones. If they are similar enough I guess people would mix them with the old ones, but again that probably wouldn't result in as many days as entirely new ideas.

Yes, to be fair a lot of current AoS sculpts (and very late, End Times-era, WHFB sculpts) are extermely good. It's hard to see how they'd improve on the Idoneth or the new SBGL, for example. Better hope they improve what needs improving and not other things!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Chaos Dwarfs are coming to Total Warhammer and GW has a record of making AoS releases correspond with DLC releases for the game. Like for example, Lumineth wave 1 released a little bit after the Eltharion vs Grom DLC, and we got the plastic Curseling model right before the Champions of Chaos DLC. For me, the Chaos Dwarf DLC for TWW3 is another sign the Dawi Zharr are coming back to tabletop. 

The only reason I'm sceptical about a Total War connection is that they're aiming the DLC to be in April. Between Seraphon and Cities, it seems unlikely they'd be any earlier than very late 2023. 

Then again, they announced Votann on April 1st last year and they didn't fully release until October-ish so I could be full of rubbish. Announcing another 'dead' Dwarf army getting a revival on April 1st again would certainly be hilarious. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

Yeah I have a feeling that the models that have been updated recently are probably "done" for the forseeable future, if not just done full stop. There is no jank from limitations in moulds and such anymore as far as I can tell. But who knows, maybe in 10-15 years we will be looking back at the current Blood Knights like "damn, those are a bit dated now", but I doubt it.

It was such a certainty. 😆

I must confess that I became pissed after this game to have so much favoritism from sculptors (ok, I admit that AoS is better in 2023). Let's wait for the rest of the day to find out if I have a good reason to be grumpy...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Come on, Necromunda hardly gets any reveals ever, it's been so long since the last one!

..... Grumbles in Adeptus Titanicus.

But anyway, the day is still young, we often get reveals at 3, and have even had them as late as 5 before as I recall. Still plenty of time for Seraphon!

• Haha 3