The Rumour Thread

12 hours ago, CDM said:

I think it's a real shame we haven't had a destruction beasties pack similar to the furies and raptortx of the first season. That and a couple more incarnates would of cemented the era of the beast better.

Oh they wouldve been insane!! I wouldve loved to see 'Neutral' beasts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

Oh they wouldve been insane!! I wouldve loved to see 'Neutral' beasts.

Neutral wondering monsters which could randomly bother either side would have been superb in the era of the beast.

Still can't really work out which beast(s) this is the era of?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Neutral wondering monsters which could randomly bother either side would have been superb in the era of the beast.

Right now the only evidence we have that Era of the Beasts was, even about Beasts at all is Seraphon. 

Hopefully FEC come through with a similar sized wave as well.

Im hoping that the next Narrative event that kicks off at the end of the Edition is actually about Destruction or at least Beasts of Chaos. 

If its BOC and it builds up to Morghur and they recieve a small range refresh and narratively make the Edition their own then the title is earned.

Im hoping that its a mix of Destruction with a good refresh for BOC leading into 4.0 with SCE vs Skaven.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Marcvs said:

My point was that it is not "not a traditional wargame", its place lies entirely outside the scope of the "wargame" hobby. Simply, it's a boardgame and/or card game, and the miniatures (like in other games of course) are simply pretty tokens.

I guess you could also just replace AOS minis by tokens as well or standees, as long as they have the same base size (not that anyone would do that). For me this is a moot point.

One thing that certainly set Warhammer Underworlds apart is that it is currently the best ranked game manufactured by GW on Boardgamegeek.com. Their ranking include all types of games, from cards games to roleplaying games and anything sitting in the top 1000 can be considered to be part of the best 10% of games. 

Here is the ranking for some of GW games:

868 - Warhammer Underworlds

1104 - Warhammer Quest (1995)

1507 - Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress (2018)

2115 - Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower (2016)

2385 - Kill Team

2449 - Warcry

2822 - 40k

4270 - AOS

There are some Warhammer games better ranked than Underworlds, but they are all OOP games from FFG (from the time they had the IP). So if you want an existing Warhammer game or simply one that has GW miniatures in them, Underworlds would really be the recommended option according to BBG (a site widely recognized and used by most gamers as a main reference).

Note on ranking: Editions are considered different games on BBG, so I only noted the best rated one for each GW's games.

• Confused 2

Hey now, y'all. Kruleboyz came out the gate swinging with some impressive beasties. Destro even got a pony! Im not a fan but he's still pretty beastly. 

Im sure "the rona" played a hand in some things getting changed up for this edition as well that we'll never know about. 

I also was hoping for a creature box like last warcry edition but oh well. Whatcha going to do... 

Im still so very excited to see what destro gets from the next warcry reveal. 

Edited by Vasshpit

This edition has been quite beasty though. It was kicked off by Kragnos and the Kruleboyz alongside two new types of Troggoth. We had the big vulture and the Stormcast dragons. We've had an Incarnate and king Brodd. Then we had the new Ogroids for chaos and now new Seraphon. Those could be safely described as beasts if not necessarily destruction. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

This edition has been quite beasty though. It was kicked off by Kragnos and the Kruleboyz alongside two new types of Troggoth. We had the big vulture and the Stormcast dragons. We've had an Incarnate and king Brodd. Then we had the new Ogroids for chaos and now new Seraphon. Those could be safely described as beasts if not necessarily destruction. 

And still another year to go if im not mistaken. 

32 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Ill be honest I completely forgot about the Drakes!!

54 minutes ago, JohnnyWolf said:

I guess you could also just replace AOS minis by tokens as well or standees, as long as they have the same base size (not that anyone would do that). For me this is a moot point.

so, leaving aside that no you can't (at current rules we're still playing with real line of sight, last time I checked) but then I wonder: in your opinion, is Warhammer Underworlds a wargame or not? If it is, fine, but your definition of of wargame must be incredibly broad and include everything using miniatures.

As for the boardgamegeek ranking, I don't find it particularly conclusive that the users of a website aimed at board gaming ranks first a GW game which closely resembles a... board game.

• Thanks 1

I think we maybe let our expectations run wild with "Era of the Beast" compared to Soul Wars. 
Soul Wars was pretty on the nose with three Death factions being introduced.

Era of the Beast is a little more abstract I think as opposed to fulling introducing factions it has given a theme to updates which might just not satisfy as much as new factions. Kruleboyz brought more warbeasts to Orruk Warclans. We got the Drakes, Kragnos, Incarnate... all the other things people have mentioned. 

Seraphon being the first** to really get a beastly update with the addition of all these new models. I'm with the ever positive force of our King Brodd that FEC will show us more beast themed updates. 

**I would actually put the Soulblight Gravelords as the first "Era of the Beast" update with their Vyrkos dynasty being added. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EntMan said:

The "era of the beast" as a marketing ploy is dead.  We got 1 incarnate and a whole lot of nothing. 

The Sublime Desolation of Namibia's Skeleton Coast - The New York Times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

so, leaving aside that no you can't (at current rules we're still playing with real line of sight, last time I checked)

You are right of course, you'd certainly needs some small tweaks to be able to play AOS with tokens.

26 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

in your opinion, is Warhammer Underworlds a wargame or not?

Probably not according to most people definition of wargames and I do not claim otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

As for the boardgamegeek ranking, I don't find it particularly conclusive that the users of a website aimed at board gaming ranks first a GW game which closely resembles a... board game.

That is a common misconception. Like I mentioned, basically any type of tabletop game are ranked on there, including Magic the gathering (a card game, actually ranked quite high at 155) and Dungeons and dragons (role-play). There are also many wargames well rated on BGG, though it really depend what someone considers a wargame (X-Wing for example is in the top 200)

But that is beside the point I was making. My point was that Underworlds is fantastic publicity for GW as a ton of gamers look at BGG to know if a game is good or not and in doing so, might come in the Warhammer universe thanks to the (excellent) rating of that game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Same, honestly one of the best horror books I read last year and really good for world building what life is like for mortals in Shyish. I'm looking forward to the sequel

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JohnnyWolf said:

if a game is good or not and in doing so, might come in the Warhammer universe thanks to the (excellent) rating of that game.

Hopefully they'll stop at the average note and won't look at how many ratings it has received then ;)

Anyway it's all good, I agree with the rest of your post and I have expressed enough my point on Underworlds 😅

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

OOOOOOOOH SEASONS IF WAS GALLET!! Maybe itll be announced at Adepticon!! Completely forgot about it, damn these Ales are getting to me over time.

Yeah the next incarnate being announced there seems pretty likely, as it will release some months before we leave Gallet. 

Unless they release more with "broken realms" series of this edition, I think it's pretty safe to assume we are getting at least 2 more incarnates (1 for Gallet and 1 for the next GHB region).

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

Yeah the next incarnate being announced there seems pretty likely, as it will release some months before we leave Gallet. 

Unless they release more with "broken realms" series of this edition, I think it's pretty safe to assume we are getting at least 2 more incarnates (1 for Gallet and 1 for the next GHB region).

Im guessimg Gallet in late April/May and then perhaps one more before the next BR? Might end up only being 2 I wouldnt be surprised!! 

2 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

The "era of the beast" as a marketing ploy is dead.  We got 1 incarnate and a whole lot of nothing. 

The Sublime Desolation of Namibia's Skeleton Coast - The New York Times

Quite honestly I wish they wouldn't use any 'Era of the ____' type phrasing. I remember (maybe 2018?), When people kicked up a stink about Orktober (when they released a lot of vehicles, but no Boyz refresh.... hindsight on that one).

I think people have a tendancy to get way too overhyped, and then let down.

(Unless you're a BoC or Skaven fan. I will be the one broken record in the back of the room).

In terms of the BGG ranking - I take it with a big dose of salt. How are they ranking them? It's too easy for a couple of nerds to have strong opinions, start a website, and then display those opinions with their own sense of bias. X-wing being good is well known... for 1st edition at least, but that ignores the fact you'd have to buy rebel ships to get cards for your imperial ships to play well. AoS being so low reeks of strong opinions. 

In terms of Underworlds, we'll see where GW goes with it. Some factions are getting more underworlds warbands than they are getting new units for actual AoS, which is mildly frustrating. I get that GW wants you to be able to use all your toys however you like, but it's a little awkward. Underworlds is a fun thing, but it just doesn't have the same staying power at least in my group as 40k and AoS. 

In terms of 'Era of the Beast' or whatever... yeah. Considering most of this edition was out during covid, with lots of mess to slog through in terms of shipping issues and pandemic, it's no surprise we didn't get more. But hey, we got Kruleboyz, big update for Slaves to Darkness, and soon a big update for Seraphon. I'm personally hoping they ditch trying to force certain realm-based things down our throats because in a realm like the Beasts, I feel like there's not a lot of motivation to fight for any particular thing. 

IMO, this is GW's major failing with both 40k and AoS. Either a place is SO IMPORTANT that losing it will shape the entire galaxy (ie Vigilus) and therefore you can tell the end of the story before it begins, or it's so irrelevant (Gallet) because there's no clear goal. Who are we defending? Why are so many factions here? We see terrain that's a mix of ruins and new buildings being actively built which is neat, but I feel it would have been more compelling if we already had Dawnbringer Crusades as a faction more fleshed out.

It doesn't help that the Realm of Beasts is one of my least favorite realms, personally, out of all the other realms. I really really hope we move to literally any other realm in 4th edition. Realm of Shadow has so much potential, as does the Realm of Metal and Realm of Fire, especially for awesome, epic, high-fantasy terrain, fights, monsters, and other things. They just lost my interest and suspension of disbelief talking about how the terrain and continents itself eat things. But that's just me. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2