The Rumour Thread

15 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

It's not Necromunda, but it is Blood Bowl.

I'm sure it could make for an amusing Nighthaunt proxy though.

875MqyA3Ioo0KSO3.jpg

H8t2xb55KnUJFHae.jpg

XDquU9HlQVTMPYYX.jpg

From the article it says that green stuff all over them is meant to be fire. Might be the paint job but looks nothing like fire to me. From the back they look like they're being consumed by a green alien blob...

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Oh wow, they kind of didn't succeed with this model, didn't they? It's been a while since I last saw a modern GW model that I thought looked bad, but this is just a skeleton covered in green chewing gum, right?

The artwork looks great but the model just doesn't do it justice

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's surprising, I though they had nailed this kind of effect in models as old as Nagash and the Mortis Engine.

The 40k Avatar is another model in the closer past that has flames on its body and they also don't look great thought in a different sense than this skeleton.

I don't think the flow of the flames is that bad its more that its just a blob of flames with the skeleton peeking through instead of a burning skeleton

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Oh wow, they kind of didn't succeed with this model, didn't they? It's been a while since I last saw a modern GW model that I thought looked bad, but this is just a skeleton covered in green chewing gum, right?

I think they also really messed up the flames on the Avatar of Khaine but somehow it became model of the year. Could be the paint job but i dont think so.

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's surprising, I though they had nailed this kind of effect in models as old as Nagash and the Mortis Engine.

I love all the flames on Nighthaunt units and the Scions of the Flame also looked great. These newer models not so much imho.

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They’ve nailed flames in plastic, perhaps less so in resin? Not sure if it’s material, the sculptors, or the technique but you can see it in the handful of other FW minis with flames, it’s always a lot chunkier.

Bit of a ghastly conflagration, isn't it?

I was able to tell that it was fire, but in less of a "hey cool that duders on fire" way, and more of an "is that... fire?" fashion. The way the licks of flame roil down is just... so un-fire-like.

For me, a similarly sizable issue to the fire's general sculpting is its placement. I missed a bunch of details until after I had seen the art, and then re-examined the model. I think because the flames are covering up, breaking up, and confusing (up) the neat bits.

18 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I think they also really messed up the flames on the Avatar of Khaine but somehow it became model of the year. Could be the paint job but i dont think so.

I mean, the paint job does not help, because whoever painted this guy didn't attempt to make the flames cast light in any way. Neither on the model/environment, nor from the inside of the flames themselves.

But even so, the flames as they are scuplted massively break up the visual flow of the model. They make it really difficult to tell where the skeleton begins and ends and what the small details on the sculpt are supposed to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raviv said:

I thought you were making a joke at first because the 40k anniversary model is from Leagues of Votann and got a bit disappointed before seeing the actual KO hero. What an emotional roller coaster!

That Mini-Ironclad is great, though. Might pick up this guy if I get a chance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I mean, the paint job does not help, because whoever painted this guy didn't attempt to make the flames cast light in any way. Neither on the model/environment, nor from the inside of the flames themselves.

But even so, the flames as they are scuplted massively break up the visual flow of the model. They make it really difficult to tell where the skeleton begins and ends and what the small details on the sculpt are supposed to be.

I agree. It kind of looks like it is covered with slime/ooze.

Edit: that KO mini looks great, the mini ship is great design.

Edited by Gitzdee

59 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The model has big magistus Amon vibes and his toothpaste cloak

image.png.26cd3db860c647bb85dd3e5d2f6d287a.png

Forgeworld doesn't really do flowing textures well

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I thought you were making a joke at first because the 40k anniversary model is from Leagues of Votann and got a bit disappointed before seeing the actual KO hero. What an emotional roller coaster!

That Mini-Ironclad is great, though. Might pick up this guy if I get a chance.

Wow, both look awesome. How does the anniversary model work? Is it free with a minimum spend or do you just order it? 

3 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Wow, both look awesome. How does the anniversary model work? Is it free with a minimum spend or do you just order it? 

You just walk in and buy them like any other model, the only catch being they're only available that weekend.

If they sell out, they'll order you one in. Usually there's a delay of a month or two.

Iirc the 'extras goodies' like the pins, dice, etc are limited, but they usually have a decent amount.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

You just walk in and buy them like any other model, the only catch being they're only available that weekend.

If they sell out, they'll order you one in. Usually there's a delay of a month or two.

I assume that means you can buy both? I like the Kharadron, but the Votann is the winner if you are limited to one of them.

2 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I assume that means you can buy both? I like the Kharadron, but the Votann is the winner if you are limited to one of them.

You can, although I think you're limited to one per person per individual model. 

So you could buy a Votann and a Kharadron, but not two Kharadrons. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

2023 - Year of the Dwarf? 😍

Based on the anniversary models I predict (in deceasing order of confidence) - More Votann, More (than just a foot hero) Kharadron and new Tome, CHORFS.

Also, if the big Cities rumour was true then at least a dwarf crew member for new Ironweld.

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Love this KO model, definitely going to pick both it and the Votann up (good first 40K model alongside a Grimnyr). Hopefully later this year time for some Fyreslayers love as well! All duardin deserve, and borderline need, their own separate releases sooner rather than later.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

41 minutes ago, EntMan said:

You can buy both, you can usually only pick up one copy of each from the ones they have in stock but if you're buying them as made to order later in the weekend you can usually order a few if you want them for conversions or friends who can't make it in.

In addition if you spend over a certain amount you get various freebies (that will be available for you to collect from the store in a few weeks). Based on previous years it should be:
£50: Two pins (Kharadon and Imperial Fist)

£100: Dice bag

£150: Anniversary dice

£200: Accessory pack

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

You can, although I think you're limited to one per person per individual model. 

So you could buy a Votann and a Kharadron, but not two Kharadrons. 

They let you order in as many as you want. I picked up 2 gutrippas & 3 inquisitors last year.