The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

They've already been willing to move units out of armies and into entirely different armies (High elf Sisters of Avelorn went to Wood Elf Wanderers with the update).  This move broke all the synergies that they previously had in the compendium release.  Moving a unit from Order to Chaos isn't much different ultimately.

Nope. Not taking the bait this time. I see you with your bait but I'm not going to bite.

Also enjoy my newest guys for cause why not.

4+ 4+.jpg

• Like 3

Just thinking, if Steamhead Duradin really are a thing and coming soon, that should give us a very good idea of what is in Store for the current Aelven Factions. Whatever then happens to Dispossessed and the Duradin part of Ironweld Arsenal should set a pretty good precedent.

I can see a few scenarios possible there:

-Steamhead are entirely composed of new kits, Ironweld and Dispossessed stay as they are

-Steamhead are entirely composed of new kits, Duradin Ironweld and Dispossessed go Out Of Production and move to Legacy

-Steamhead are a mix of old and new kits, Duradin Ironweld and Dispossessed units not included in the Battletome go OOP and move to Legacy

-Steamhead are a mix of old and new kits, Ironweld and Dispossessed are diminished, but still hold any leftover units

-Steamhead are a mix of old and new kits, but Ironweld and Dispossessed stay exactly as they are, with some units pulling double duty

-Any of the above scenarios where Dispossessed and Ironweld stay, but there is a big Wave of moving the units of multiple factions to OOP, including Dispossessed and Ironweld, at a later date.

My own believe is that the third scenario will hold true, as there are some not so old steampunkish Duradin kits that seem appropiate (Irondrakes, Gyrocopters/bomber, Cogsmith) and I personally think there are many factions that are supposed to be only temporary. But any of the above is thinkable.

Another thing I've thought is, that Malerion and Morathi being on good terms at the time of their last mention (which was timed to the Age of Myth iirc), doesn't mean they would be the same faction or even Grand Alliance when they make a proper appearance. Uglu being the warground of two different factions would propably be more interesting than it just being Malerions personal playground.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

They've already been willing to move units out of armies and into entirely different armies (High elf Sisters of Avelorn went to Wood Elf Wanderers with the update).  This move broke all the synergies that they previously had in the compendium release.  Moving a unit from Order to Chaos isn't much different ultimately.

That was done when the game first was released wasent it? or atleast not long after.

Not saying its impossible. But the longer they leave it the harder it will be.

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Something like this is what happened to the Flesh Eaters, except that there weren't any "leftover" units at all.

Nor any new kits.

To be honest, I immensly enjoyed the Flesheater Courts, Bonsplittaz and Beastclaw Battletomes Fluff and Presentation wise, but I honestly hope GW never goes the "kitbash an entire faction from just two or three actual boxes" approach ever again. There is something fundamental about that approach, that I found abhorrent, though I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Flesh Eater Courts sets another interesting precedent though. The battletome includes both the Zombiedragon and Terrorgeist without rider, who composed their own faction in the GA:Death book. An example of one faction absorbing another, minor one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

To be honest, I immensly enjoyed the Flesheater Courts, Bonsplittaz and Beastclaw Battletomes Fluff and Presentation wise, but I honestly hope GW never goes the "kitbash an entire faction from just two or three actual boxes" approach ever again. There is something fundamental about that approach, that I found abhorrent, though I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

It was probably the ghoul king! :P

I feel very differently. I think that being able to pull this sort of thing off in a way that so many folks enjoyed it so well is very good for the game. We all hate the idea of power creep, of GW forcing us all to buy the new hotness by depowering the old stuff. We also hate the idea of the game becoming cluttered (like, say *cough* 40k *cough) with an endless parade of new ****** and no discipline.

So, yeah... I agree that they shouldn't do it too often, but it's not something I never want to see again.

• Like 1

I love the FEC/Bonesplitterz/Beastclaw approach and hope they keep doing it. I'm as or more excited for the old models to get rebased and re-envisioned as I am for entirely new armies. The only dream I have is they would make sure plastic options are available for heroes and such. Turns me off the Bonesplitterz with their resin/metal heroes.

• Like 2

Power creep is a myth. It feels right, but is demonstrably not. It's a nice narrative, but GW does not make the newest factions more powerful to promote sales. If that was the case, Deathwatch and Genestealer Cults should be dominating. Eldar are still on top, despite numerous releases since then. We'd also never have a competetively useless release, like the last time Tyranids got a lot of toys. They were all overcosted, and play little part in high-level tyranid play. The truth is simpler, GW are inconsistent, and much less focused on high-level balance than we think. At least up until now.  

Stormcast are still the Nr. 1 army, and they were the first release! By the power-creep logic, Fyreslayers should be better...

I hope Dispossessed stays as a faction. I love the idea! It's Thorgrim's ideal made manifest in a single faction. Would love to see them given some more toys. They've been mentioned in the background several times, and the Warden King's underground kingdoms beneath Azyrheim are reasonably well established. Getting a second "in-the-realms" Duardin faction, followers of Grungni, would be more interesting. Gives the Duardin three distinct directions.

• Like 4

I can take a few things from the pics.

1) looks like all acolytes have shields, even if they have two weapons.

2) Tzaangor unit on discs with either bows or two handed weapons give us a fast elite unit?

3) it looks like the Tzaangors on disc and Tzaangors on foot with double handed stave-blades could be the same kit?

4) the staff top from the rumour pics from the community page are in fact an awesome Tzaangor leader model

5) all of my money is going to be thrown at this release.

• Like 2

Looks like Tzaangor are going to be a big part of the coming release, which makes me absolutely happy. Theres a Mage on disk, regular Tzaangor, what looks like an elite unit on Disk and either a trio of characters or another unit of supersized elite Tzaangor in the background of the third picture.

I still don't particularly like the Kairic Akolytes though, really hope there are some other, more Chaos Warrior like, mortals along for the ride, at least among the characters. Otherwhise I may have to do some heavy converting if I want my Slaves to Darkness and Arcanites to look like a cohesive force.

Or I'll just go pure Tzaangor :D

And Damn, as an Admech fan I can't help but say, I thought the Magus Dominus was awesome...

• Like 1

Looks fantastic. Hoping for Tzeentch Allegiance rather than "Mortal Tzeentch Allegiance". The allegiance pack and Lore and new units would hopefully complement the Tzaangor and Acolytes which hopefully have revised Warscrolls too.

Very excited!

• Like 2

2000?cb=20140829235648

In all seriousness, loving that Tzaangors get a character and an elite unit. Makes them more than mindless assistant/fodder creatures. I think the kairic acolytes would look better painted a bit differently, the flesh is very high contrast, it makes the musculature a bit ridiculous. Look's like they may be the "worse" unit of the army.

So what do we think? Will daemons be a part of the army?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nico said:

Looks fantastic. Hoping for Tzeentch Allegiance rather than "Mortal Tzeentch Allegiance". The allegiance pack and Lore and new units would hopefully complement the Tzaangor and Acolytes which hopefully have revised Warscrolls too.

Very excited!

Looking at the number of units we can see, I think it's unlikely that it'll be a combined Tzeentch allegiance.  It would be a shame, but it follows what GW have been doing with everything else for AoS.  I'm still hopeful that we'll see some sort of Blightking-esc Tzeentch elite unit; something with armour similar to the Curseling.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, yarrickson said:

Dude on the disc is decent! 

Not so sure about the 'I cast parrot" guy? 

The Guy is a bit booring. But the parrot-vulture, I like very much.

11 minutes ago, Changer said:

Looking at the number of units we can see, I think it's unlikely that it'll be a combined Tzeentch allegiance.  It would be a shame, but it follows what GW have been doing with everything else for AoS.  I'm still hopeful that we'll see some sort of Blightking-esc Tzeentch elite unit; something with armour similar to the Curseling.

I'm not sure if it was Atia or one of the other reliable Rumormongers, but there was an offhand comment that there would be AoS Tzeentch waves in 2017.

One is propably blue and brimstone horrors along LoC, but I hope there will also be something along the lines of "Master Arcanites" as there is no mini in that release I'd pin as faction leader akin to Mighty Lords of Khorne and the Deathbringers.

4 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

How do the rules work for Nurgle forces? I know they are still a legacy army really, but I thought they mixed mortals and daemons well?

They have a surprising amount of synergy, but Rotbringers are "Nurgle Mortals" Allegiance, so if you bring daemons, you don't get battleline Blightkings. Its a bit of a wash, really.

• Like 2