The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Great news if this means new Aelves won't be recycled out of old Elves. I'd love Shadow and Light Aelves to be completely new. Brand new concept, like Idoneth Deepkin. 

Bringing old range all together hints they will get a battletome. 

If this sets the stage for the next batch of tomes,,then it appears we will be getting mainly "macro" tomes,those along the lines of LoN and BoC  that encoumpass several sub faction keywords.I think this is a great direction to go if thats what happens:)

I don't think it sets the stage, the more I look the more I think its just setting the stage for some, whilst with others its just a random grouping. I think its more just GW trying to make the game look more interesting rather than having lots of 1 or 2 model factions dotted around. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Great news if this means new Aelves won't be recycled out of old Elves. I'd love Shadow and Light Aelves to be completely new. Brand new concept, like Idoneth Deepkin. 

I hope we get more info on them or at least a book that gives more insight into them. Currently, only the DoK and Scourge Privateers have anything substantial. I know a certain type of people dislike elves, but I enjoy them and currently feel overfed on Chaos and Stormcasts.

Alternatively, give me more rats and Gotrek. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Well its probably not helped by the fact that most of the incomplete factions were complete functional factions until AoS launched. With wide rosters of units to rival the current count of Stormcast.

It’s a completley different game. It took the best part of thirty years for those factions to become fully functional and as diverse and well realised as they are. It took *work*, you know? It’s not easy doing that stuff. The Lore and world building that Warhammer has is so beloved and valuable because it’s different to most other things and creating something different is *hard*.

GW have never come even *close* to being as efficient with releases as they are now. They release in one year what they used to do in three. 

I get why people are enthusiastic about the hobby expanding and new options becoming more viable on the tabletop. But there’s a profound difference between  looking forward to something and having completley unreasonable expectations about what the community is owed.

Which is, literally, nothing. Just because an enthusiastic community exists around something does not mean the company is obliged to deliver on any sense of entitlement that such a community engenders among its members.  Either you agree with buying their toy soldiers or you don’t. That’s as complicated as it gets.

I’ve been a customer to GW for most of my life now but there was a period that I wasn’t brcause I found their products vastly overpriced and their attitude mercenary. But at no point did I declare that I deserve better or the like. I buy their products at point of sale. I always got what I paid for. I felt disappointed and even exploited that they wanted to fleece me for things that used to be much cheaper but the fact was at the time I used to buy my models I bought them at a fair price. That transaction did not become retroactively unfair because they were now asking for more. I just refused to repeat that transaction at the new terms they were asking. 

GW does not exist and thrive because of any hobbyist goodwill or the like. It’s because they make products that are good and sell them at a price people are willing to pay. It’s success is it’s own. It doesn’t owe any gamer, hobbyist, painter anything. 

• Like 7

Personally I'm not sure if this is a hint towards upcoming battletomes or just convenient way to clean up what was a set of messy store listings. Even though they have their new trademarkable names of Grots and Aelves, with recent naming, I have a hard time seeing books just called Battletome Grots or Battletome Aelves or any other just racial names except for maybe skaven, but I will leave a little opening for this in general if they just want to get books out. Now it is interesting that they put all lot of extra stuff Free Peoples and Gutbusters and I can certainly see those being battletome names. Even though I don't think a Battletome Grots is likely, the presence of trolls under grots seems to cement their place going forward. Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness makes a ton of sense and even before this I would have been surprised if a Slaves to Darkness book came out and didn't rolling Everchosen. That was just a weird book and faction to be stand alone.The Creatures of Chaos subsection is weird. It's basically non *gor beasts of chaos with the couple of left over daemons thrown in.

• Like 1

@Nos yes but when your once functional army is fractured and the only thing stopping it working once more as it used too is just GW putting two or three miniarmies together again then it can be frustrating to players. Esp if one or two of those mini armies are basically not functional as an army. 

Anyway that aside GW have dropped one of their hobby news posts but nothing about hints for next weeks pre-orders! Which might mean that we aren't getting any! Or that something else is happening. It might just be the news is late as I would have expected GW to give some "here's the last for the year have fun see you next year" post 

7 minutes ago, novakai said:

Also it looks like Greenskinz drew the short end of the stick again, since they didn't get merge or have a tab for themselves. 

It's weird. They're one of the most complete destruction armies, but GW is trying its hardest to forget they exist.

11 minutes ago, novakai said:

Also it looks like Greenskinz drew the short end of the stick again, since they didn't get merge or have a tab for themselves. 

Well of course, youz can't clobbah gits wid the long end in yer hand can yah? 

Anyway, i'm with the "just a site organisation change" group on this. It's a nice way to tidy up so newcomers are less confused. Especially if the Age of Sigmar site was their starting point which had the armies just like that.

With how battletome armies got grouped, this has no effect on say Scourge privateers getting updated along with a tome and a Free Cities tome for human, duardin and aelven factions to be used together.

10 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

It's weird. They're one of the most complete destruction armies, but GW is trying its hardest to forget they exist.

yeah I feel like they are purposely doing it at this point, I find it strange that an army with a SC box, and decent (maybe showing it age a bit) plastic range get neglected so much. like no faction focus, their SC box is not in the general Starting box tab , and now they don't have a webpage

7 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Surely the lack of Greenskins and Beasts of Chaos must be a mistake? I can't see why those would be the only factions just to be rolled into the "all Destruction" and "All Chaos" tabs, especially given how popular the beastmen are proving to be since their revamp?

Beasts of Chaos are there.

47 minutes ago, Overread said:

@Nos yes but when your once functional army is fractured and the only thing stopping it working once more as it used too is just GW putting two or three miniarmies together again then it can be frustrating to players. Esp if one or two of those mini armies are basically not functional as an army. 

Anyway that aside GW have dropped one of their hobby news posts but nothing about hints for next weeks pre-orders! Which might mean that we aren't getting any! Or that something else is happening. It might just be the news is late as I would have expected GW to give some "here's the last for the year have fun see you next year" post 

They shouldn’t be frustrated.

They can play the old game still with the armies they have, within the ruleset they bought it for. Plenty do.

They didn’t buy that old army with a guarantee it would forever more be viable at all times in a GW ruleset.  I don’t exprct to be able to play with my Stormcast in 40 years time. Or even 2 years time necessarily. That’s an assumption I have but not one GW are responsible for.  I wasn’t sold them with a guarantee they will always be usable within an organic and evolving ruleset and system. I understand that rules change. I mean at present many people are arguing that the entirety of the  SC’s roster prior to Soul Wars is basically useless. It would be perverse for me to think that might not happen with my Sacrosanct Chamber right? I didn’t buy them for the future though. I bought them to paint and play with now. And I’ve already got my money’s worth. 

Hell I remember a decade ago when IPods were sold explicitly with something like 10,000 hours worth of charging before they would no longer work. Pretty much everything you buy now is explicitly limited use or access. Not sure why people expect GW armies to always be completley contingent to any changes that occur. 

If people want to play the new game with one of the new or more recently updated factions designed specifically for the new game and its new rules then that’s very easy of course.

Or they can be patient and wait for the work required to update the army from a different game to work with the new game and turn it into something probably quite different. In which case they’re actually really getting a new product for very little money. Which is sonething to celebrate and worth waiting for I should have thought.

It’s really very simple. If they want to play AOS there’s loads of armies to play it with. If they want to play specifically that game only with their own army they’ll just have to be patient and hope their army gets an update. It might, it might not. You bought what you paid for. You’re not due anything more than that. 

If someone bought an army for hundreds of pounds and invested hundred of hours into painting it with the expectation they would always be able to play with it, and they can’t,  and they feel it was money and time wasted then that’s  down to them. They were never promised what they expected.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh, that's cutting it close.

30 minutes ago, Nos said:

I mean at present many people are arguing that the entirety of the  SC’s roster prior to Soul Wars is basically useless

And I'm among those willing to argue against that.

The Strike Chambers were Sigmar's first hammer strikes to fall upon and break the chains chaos enslaved the realms with and by Sigmar they'll continue to safeguard them till the very end!

Besides that I agree, it's the way of everything especially an evolving franchise, just imagine the times when warhammer was still fleshing out and armies were being defined but then got shook up by the craziness of herohammer and back again to massive armies that made many people's forces obsolete like Empire players giving up their war wagons for shiny new steam tanks?

You just gotta roll with the punches.

Like me and my Bret obsession since 2008. Ten years later and I'm still using them but now as Deepkin proxies for matched (working on a sea theme is much easier than individual colors, haha) as well as to test fantome ideas and narrative battles.

And I'll definitely be using my Stormcast armies 40 years down the road too (if i'm still around and not a over-cosplaying Nighthaunt😛 ).

That's the beauty of models and TT gaming. It doesn't ever really become obsolete like a videogame(trying otherwise though, still got my gameboy color!). If you got the models and creativity you can use them forever.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Baron Klatz said:

Oh, that's cutting it close.

And I'm among those willing to argue against that.

The Strike Chambers were Sigmar's first hammer strikes to fall upon and break the chains chaos enslaved the realms with and by Sigmar they'll continue to safeguard them till the very end!

Besides that I agree, it's the way of everything especially an evolving franchise, just imagine the times when warhammer was still fleshing out and armies were being defined but then got shook up by the craziness of herohammer and back again to massive armies that made many people's forces obsolete like Empire players giving up their war wagons for shiny new steam tanks?

You just gotta roll with the punches.

Like me and my Bret obsession since 2008. Ten years later and I'm still using them but now as Deepkin proxies for matched (working on a sea theme is much easier than individual colors, haha) as well as to test fantome ideas and narrative battles.

And I'll definitely be using my Stormcast armies 40 years down the road too (if i'm still around and not a over-cosplaying Nighthaunt😛 ).

That's the beauty of models and TT gaming. It doesn't ever really become obsolete like a videogame. If you got the models and creativity you can use them forever.

Yeah exactly. You get what you pay for as soon as you pay for it. It doesn’t depreciate in value. Usually the opposite actually.

30 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

That's the beauty of models and TT gaming. It doesn't ever really become obsolete like a videogame(trying otherwise though, still got my gameboy color!). If you got the models and creativity you can use them forever. 

Exactly. I buy models because I know they will out last myself, I don't buy things like modern consoles and games as I know they are out dated moments after buying them. I have never understood the attitudes of people that buy into this hobby, moan about the prices or models & books being made redundant then look to ditch them of cheap to buy the next new in thing. I only buy models I like and know I'd still be happy playing with years down the line. I get that if you are more in to the gaming side of the hobby and only attend strict tournaments, then you have to keep up with updates and that costs money, but then you are buying into that side of gaming, so why moan about it.

I'm still painting up models I brought as far back as 1989. I also have a whole box of battlemasters beastmen and Empire models that I have been waiting on using for a project, which I'm only just getting around to starting now (thanks to new AoS releases!)

(As for old video games, I've moved on to Emulation, but I've recently been playing my old Atari ST games and been on the look out for replacing my physical hardware! They built things to last back then! But GBcolour is also still alive and kicking) 

29 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Huh, I'm sure it wasn't earlier... I only counted seven factions under Chaos.

Eight is a much spikier number though...

no ,your right it wasn't there at the beginning, they fixed it and added to the store page later on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

Wrath and Rapture will be available next week (so I'm assuming pre-orders will open this weekend) just in time for Christmas according to the preview they put up on the community site. I hope your wallets are ready! 

To clarify Wrath and Rapture is currently being shown as pre-order preview so it will go on pre-order next weekend (15th) and we expect general sale a week later (22nd). Though GW could surprise us and release it earlier and have a shorter pre-release period. 

Just checking the Greenskinz out under the new listings at GW and noticed a Greenskinz army offer that includes 20 Moonclan Grots.  Is this new and does it imply that generic Orruks might be in any new Grot battletome?  I'm trying not to be excited.

Also includes 3 Grot fanatics.

Edited by Aelfric

18 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Just checking the Greenskinz out under the new listings at GW and noticed a Greenskinz army offer that includes 20 Moonclan Grots.  Is this new and does it imply that generic Orruks might be in any new Grot battletome?  I'm trying not to be excited.

Also includes 3 Grot fanatics.

that package deal has been on the website for a while now, it not anything new.

• Like 1