The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, novakai said:

I don't think the problem is one over the other, it probably the fact that Destruction may not get a single release this year, haven't gotten one for almost 2 years now, got very terrible GHB updates, and never really given good lore coverage.  that and worst case scenario is waiting until next year for the release really feel like being neglected even further by GW.

The longer the wait between Waaaghs! the bigger it will be when it finally gets here.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I've been playing Night Goblins for almost 25 years now and they have never had their own book.  I am patient enough to wait a bit longer if they are indeed getting their own full book.

They got the cover of Ravening Hordes tho

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AGPO said:

Pretty much anyone with a Slaanesh army, myself included.

Unless you like your Moonclan army more than your Slaanesh army!  I'm happy to see both of them come and I am not too worried about the release order - as long as I know they are both coming.

4 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

Hopefully, destruction is not having the same meme status as Orkz do/did in 40k, but at least it seems confirmed that we will get sooner or later troggoths and squigs.

At least Orks have fared pretty well in 40k just using the Index rules they were given.  Those "get-you-by" rules were pretty well done.  And in regards to codex releases - they are obviously saving the best for last.  In Games Workshop games it is almost always universally better to get your books towards the end rather than towards the beginning.  GW is notorious for not being able to completely stick with a codex/battletome design template for an entire edition.  They almost always jump the rails and change directions at some point.  The only version of a core game where I can remember them sticking to the script throughout almost the whole edition was 8th ed Fantasy.

I still feel that 40k 9th edition is going to come out a lot quicker than most people suspect.  The new 40k edition is an improvement from the previous few editions, but they did not get the core rules quite right.  I think they will probably revamp the core rules a bit and launch a small iterative edition update that still works with all of the released Codexes (although expect a new Space Marine book), and if that ends up being the case then as an Ork player I would rather have a book designed closer to that new edition.

But honestly, as an Ork player and a big fan of the old GorkaMorka game - I really dig the idea of the Speed Freaks game.  I'll probably have more fun playing that little game than playing big 40k games.  KillTeam is already doing an excellent job of scratching the itch to play 40k more than playing the main game anyways.

As for AoS, the time for Destruction will come.  Death got a big shot in the arm with just the release of 2 books and only one of those had a model wave.  I think we will end up faring pretty well if we are a bit patient.

Edited by Skabnoze

Regarding Destruction pushing the narrative, it seems something as simple as a huge WAAAAGH across the mortal realms would suffice.

It would be neat if GW teased a new narrative story, like Soul Wars or something, then just before actual product releases they switch to a WAAAGH! disrupting the plans of whatever other GA was about to make a splash. The actual product winds up being WAAAGH related.

Some warboss isn't sitting idle anymore...

Edited by Mr. White
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nos said:

RE: the constant "Destruction never get anything" clamour, I don't get it. If you have an Ironjawz army I doubt 400 points of new grots or their rules are going to revolutionise your experience. If you want a new army, pick one of the many available rather than wait impatiently for one that you might not even like anyway. I fail to see how them belonging to a wider faction means anything.

I like all things Orcs & Goblins.  They are the primary reason I keep playing Games Workshop's fantasy game as opposed to other games (although I do play other games).  The only game that has a faction of fun little green guys that comes anywhere close to the things I really love about GW greenskins is Malifaux with their crazy bayou gremlin faction (I play those - but I play every faction for that game).

I am happy whenever a new army for AoS is released regardless of what Grand Alliance it is for.  I typically really just can't stand elves in almost every fantasy world but so far I like all of the Elf factions that have been built specifically for AoS.  I could honestly care less for the Elf factions that they carried over from the Old World, but even then I will be happy to see those guys get a book if/when they do.

I do collect other factions as well.  I started playing Warhammer Fantasy long ago with the 4th edition Undead book.  What drew me to that army initially was skeleton hordes, wights, wraiths, liches, necromancers, and the background and rules for Nagash were amazing.  Having been a 40k player before a Fantasy player I had never before seen models that powerful in warhammer.  Back then 40k characters were not nearly as powerful as some of the big guys kicking around in Fantasy and Nagash was one of the most potent of them all.  His background lore, while a lot smaller than it is now, was also just really cool.  But, sadly they raised the prices of skeletons quite a bit right when I was trying to start up and it pushed me out of that army.  Then over the next 20 years they pulled Nagash off of the table entirely and turned him into a background lore boogeyman.  Then they decided to concentrate almost entlrely on vampires - which I was a lot less enamored with.  But, I was happy to keep messing with my Orcs and mostly Goblin hordes.  The Death releases so far in Age of Sigmar are almost completely the exact thing I have wanted since the mid 90s.  Legions of Nagash gives me a nice template for Wights and Skeletal legions led by an even more impressive Nagash - yay!  And Nighthaunt gives me an etherial Wraith force that not only looks awesome but does not have all of the completely busted rules that ghosts and wraiths had in Warhammer fantasy and made your opponent hate every second of playing against you (etherial armies sucked to fight against back then...).

But, I still fall into the camp that would like to see GW invest some effort into Destruction.  Part of that reason is obviously because I am a gigantic fan of Destruction.  But another reason is simply because I am overly impressed by GWs track record for army development in Age of Sigmar.  They are doing a really awesome job in terms of amazing visual themes, great background lore, and interesting play mechanics for the game as a whole.  I am chomping at the bit to see what they can do with the things that I have always favored over everything else.  They finally gave me the Death armies that I have wanted since I started playing Warhammer.  I am really keen to see what they can do with my all-time favorite fantasy army ever - the Night Goblins.  I have always held Forest Goblins as a close second favorite to Night Goblins, but GW was steadily moving them out of the game and into the background since 5th edition.  Age of Sigmar finally has an actual playable (and semi-decent) Forest Goblin force in the Spiderfang.  I am also holding out a slim hope that they continue to develop them as I really want a force of giant spiders and bugs and tribal goblins.

I like a lot of what GW has done so far in every grand alliance and I may collect a small force here or there of some stuff.  But Destruction has the forces where I will toss multiple house-payments at GW if/when they release them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Infeston said:

The armies of Destruction contain a lot of natural themes, beasts, hairy monsters and tribal imagery, which you won't get in any other alliance. So I think many Destruction players want armies and models which fit the "Destruction theme". 

Our problem can't be solved by simply choosing another army which gets supported more, simply because there is no army, which fits the theme that we want from an army. You won't get this with any other army. You may get monsters with other armies, but not of the same kind and theme like Destruction. 

Yup.  I like big crazy monsters and not many other factions really have that.  Beasts of Chaos might, and worst case it might give me a reason to buy some awesome big monsters from Mierce, but no other faction has really hit the big monster button quite like Destruction forces for me.  Deepkin did come close though.

4 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Well, it is now clear that GW is fishing.

Fishing new games and systems around miniatures and how to play them. GW is spreading out dangerously in many  ways, with different systems (around the same miniatures) and different games (around new miniatures and/or scales). That doesn't reassure me on the shedule of new factions for both 40k and AoS. Add to this, that they have some serious production issues and many "refresh this or that" (read: rebox but not re-create) that needed serious redo.

I hope that they now stop the "lets do more game race" now and focus on their core job (miniatures creation) around their core games (AoS and 40K)

To be fair, a lot of the game spread are licensed games.  The stuff at Nova was in-house GW stuff, but those things were not overly different from stuff that they have been doing for years.  GW has made a lot from licensing over the last decade and so it appears they have a plan to broaden that.

There is the possibility that there will be no more AoS "army" releases this year. I mean between now and december they will probably release Beast of Chaos + Endless spells, Nightvault starter set and probably (as it was the case last year) a couple of week laters two other Nightvault sets (previewed troll + squigs and an unknown warband), Rogue trade expansion for Kill team, A bunch Ork releases, 40K quest and a bunch of terrain / battleforce deals.

It seems fair that after a great 6 months of AoS releases that the rest of the year will be 40K and the only AoS alongside BoC will be Nightvault.

Just guessing ofcourse.

Also I don't believe GW changes their release schedule as easly as some people posted here. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ChatBatFun said:

Slaanesh are too kinky for me, I can’t see why people prefer them over crazy grots and squigs, but I suppose we are all different.

Geeez.. people would prefer 6 boobed creatures and sexual torture over drooling green dwarfs and cave mushrooms.

Who would have thought that ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Geeez.. people would prefer 6 boobed creatures and sexual torture over drooling green dwarfs and cave mushrooms.

How dare you call us dwarfs, and why is having those things on models good, it’s weird if u 

ask me.

Edited by ChatBatFun

15 minutes ago, ChatBatFun said:

How dare you call us dwarfs, and why is having those things on models good, it’s weird if u 

ask me.

I think one of the reasons Slaanesh has mysteriously disappeared over the past few years in both systems is to give GW the chance to work out how to do an aesthetic which isnt based on ****** and pincers.

Cant say that word apparently. How about mammaries? You up on that one word filter? Haha I got past you.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

Vanity a la Sigvald the Magnificent is a perfect approach.

It also allows a more distinct look from the other three chaos followers. Those three can have creatures , mutants, and freaks. Slaanesh would be all beautiful and perfect. It would require a redo of the Slaanesh line though and perhaps that's the delay?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aryann said:

So I think we've got all the '18 releases for AoS. Who' s got the short stroke for a Battleforce box? 2 last years it was 4 boxes per universe but this year we had 5 big factions releases:

1. Nurgle

2. DoK

3. Idoneth 

4. SCE again and again

5. Nighthaunt 

Unless they increase number of boxes I guess DoK are out as it was the smallest release of them all. 

Honestly I see Nurgle as the one most likely to be left out unless the box is basically a rerelease of the "Pestilent Swarm" box because nurgle has this paradox of having access to the most warscrolls yet they have very little variety once you exclude named heroes and the stuff they can take that isn't really "nurgle".

The best nurgle box I could see would be a Lord of Affliction, lord of plague or blights, a sorcerer,  2 units of blightkings, a unit of blightlords which would be a pretty solid force at 1020 points. However, the sprue situation with the LoA and blightlords could be a problem for a box meant to get new people into an army so they'll probably avoid including either of those units. GW seems to avoid putting named heroes in battleforces with the exception of the celestant prime (who was an exclusive when the force containing him was released) and the mortarchs (who could  be built into 3 different units) as well as nonplastic models and things larger than either 120x90mm oval or 100mm round. So we are left with  maggoth lords as the only potential centerpiece, 3 small rotbringer heroes ( sorcerer, lord of plagues/blights), 3 daemon heroes (the 3 heralds), 1 rotbringer unit (blightkings), and 4 daemon units (plaguebearers, drones, nurglings, and beasts) to work with which would most likely end up as the Pestilent Swarm box with an extra small hero thrown in.

Edited by TheMuphinMan
  • Like 1

Well at least that Nightvault warband are coming out soon but I have no idea how that unit of a Troggoth, Squig, and potentially  few gobbos would work on the TT, I have a feeling this time around they are not going to be cohesive

unit . I do hope the other warband are as cool as the Nighthaunt and potentially what the Moonclan one is going to be

1 hour ago, Kurrilino said:

I am in the camp where I feel like people overemphasis the sexual nature of Slaaneshi and not actually the dark princes other aspect

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

At least Orks have fared pretty well in 40k just using the Index rules they were given.  Those "get-you-by" rules were pretty well done.  And in regards to codex releases - they are obviously saving the best for last.  In Games Workshop games it is almost always universally better to get your books towards the end rather than towards the beginning.  GW is notorious for not being able to completely stick with a codex/battletome design template for an entire edition.  They almost always jump the rails and change directions at some point.  The only version of a core game where I can remember them sticking to the script throughout almost the whole edition was 8th ed Fantasy.

I still feel that 40k 9th edition is going to come out a lot quicker than most people suspect.  The new 40k edition is an improvement from the previous few editions, but they did not get the core rules quite right.  I think they will probably revamp the core rules a bit and launch a small iterative edition update that still works with all of the released Codexes (although expect a new Space Marine book), and if that ends up being the case then as an Ork player I would rather have a book designed closer to that new edition.

But honestly, as an Ork player and a big fan of the old GorkaMorka game - I really dig the idea of the Speed Freaks game.  I'll probably have more fun playing that little game than playing big 40k games.  KillTeam is already doing an excellent job of scratching the itch to play 40k more than playing the main game anyways.

As for AoS, the time for Destruction will come.  Death got a big shot in the arm with just the release of 2 books and only one of those had a model wave.  I think we will end up faring pretty well if we are a bit patient.

I am excited for Speed freak, just have not a big paint Vehicle type of guy, but gives me a good excuse to learn. As an Ork fan I hope some of the new model they release is morel HQ choice and a new Ghazghul.

I think 9th edition may come after SoB launches and be out for awhile, Probably exactly three years from the release of 8th (like how AoS 2.0 came three year after AoS was actually release)

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

Nurgle has a SC box, the Blightwar Box, and has been focused a lot lately (40k Deathguard, Rogue Trader, new Blood Bowl Team).  As a Nurgle player, I think it's time for a breather from Nurgle

At the same time, I have a hard time seeing them putting 2 Order Aelf battleforce boxes out at the same time.  They did release them back to back, so maybe I'm off there. 

If they want a GA Chaos one,  Nurgle does seem most likely (unless they do a Beasts of Chaos box!)

Someone mentioned somewhere that Slaneesh vs DoK would be a great box set fluff wise, similar to a Blightwar box.  I don't think that would happen for 14-16 months though (have to wait a while after Slaneesh release).  That may make them hesitant to do a DoK battleforce box.  I really hope we don't have to wait too long for some sort of DoK love though.   More Blood Coven, SC box, reboxed witch aelves, Battleforce, they need something!