The Rumour Thread

22 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

to be more clear i meant soup as in soup list "can take each other's units without needing auxiliary or mercenary/ally rules", not a soup tome.

I know. I was just joking. I have a little force of Stormcasts, the models I like the most, to put them with my CoS.

Edited by Ejecutor

OK.  I've seen the reaction to switching up the Hallowed Knights as the default color scheme instead of the Hammers of Sigmar.  So I know that this is an unpopular opinion.  But am I the only one that prefers the golden boys?

The silver looks good too, don't get me wrong.  But it feels sort of like ordinary knights in ordinary armor.  Whereas the gold "sigmarite" armor felt otherworldly and rare - both evocative of the Stormcasts themselves.  Plus, I never understood the hate for blue (capes) and gold (armor).  Blue and gold isn't a totally unknown color pairing among sports teams.  

Anyway, I'm OK being wrong on this one.  I'm just hoping that there's at least one other person out there who likes the Hammers paint scheme. 

• Like 7

I don’t know I got the feeling everyone was tired of Hammer of Sigmar. (Though that may have been because every hero character was from Hammer except few like Gardus) 

maybe it a good thing to explore the other Stormhost and they maybe releasing the Hallow Knight Lord Commander this time around.

21 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

the only problem with this is that we've had writers tell us GW did this in 1e before allowing those writers to actually give Stormcast better/different characterization.

Fair enough. In this case, perhaps they're reaffirming it now without leaving the human side in the shade. Also, when you think about it the Salamanders can link up quite well with SCE. Perpetual primarch and replace fire with lightning. Not a one-for-one but the Sallies are encouraged and allowed to remain in contact with the past lives which also being a chapter who willing put other humans before their own lives.

For me it isn't a question of 40k vs AoS. There are differences and parallells.

22 minutes ago, Ferban said:

Anyway, I'm OK being wrong on this one.  I'm just hoping that there's at least one other person out there who likes the Hammers paint scheme. 

There is no "wrong" or "right" about this. You are not wrong, you just have diferent preference.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

There is no "wrong" or "right" about this. You are not wrong, you just have diferent preference.

Yeah I know.  I'll keep painting mine in the Hammer style.  I meant "internet wrong."  Strongly in the minority of opinion.  Thanks! :)

• Like 1

I feel like 3rd edition's more muted take on the golden boys made them look pretty good. How cool would it be if the colors/Stormhost was switched up with every new edition? Anvil of the Heldenhammer bringing back some Thunderstruck Sacrosanct? Hyshian Tempest Lords presenting us with some Stormcast tanks from the Logister chamber?

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ferban said:

OK.  I've seen the reaction to switching up the Hallowed Knights as the default color scheme instead of the Hammers of Sigmar.  So I know that this is an unpopular opinion.  But am I the only one that prefers the golden boys?

The silver looks good too, don't get me wrong.  But it feels sort of like ordinary knights in ordinary armor.  Whereas the gold "sigmarite" armor felt otherworldly and rare - both evocative of the Stormcasts themselves.  Plus, I never understood the hate for blue (capes) and gold (armor).  Blue and gold isn't a totally unknown color pairing among sports teams.  

It's not like gold/blue is a bad colour scheme, but I think anything that is mostly painted gold is hard to make look good.

I like the colour scheme change because it illustrated the change in the characterization of Stormcast. When they were the big heroes retaking the realms, they were painted in gleaming gold. Now that they are tragic characters ravaged by their past, they get painted in more down to earth, more natural steel and leather colours.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ferban said:

Love the Hammers and their "big golden boy" vibe, loved that the Sigmarines had a color scheme that took the blue/gold of the Ultramarines and swapped it. I really liked that parallel tbh especially as, narratively, the Stormcast were the inverse of what a super-soldier could be in a Warhammer setting. I also like that their becoming morally two-dimensional was seen as a flaw by much of the people in the setting

However, I dislike whenever GW puts a "if you want to use X rules for Your Dudes, you gotta paint them 'right'" rule in place and I didn't love the over-reliance on the Hammers from the perspective of they were generally the "most important!" in a story and most of the named Stormcast characters came from their host. I feel like half of the named characters could have been from smaller/purposefully obscure stormhosts.

Ionus Cryptborne is cool and all, but I think it could have been more interesting if he was a brand-new guy from a brand-new stormhost that has entirely disappeared due to something happening during their reforging. That new stormhost could then have become the face of the ruination chamber

Edited by Pizzaprez
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

I feel like 3rd edition's more muted take on the golden boys made them look pretty good. How could would it be if the colors/Stormhost was switched up with every new edition? Anvil of the Heldenhammer bringing back some Thunderstruck Sacrosanct? Hyshian Tempest Lords presenting us with some Stormcast tanks from the Logister chamber?

Also, I feel the Hallowed Knights colour has been muted a bit this time, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Ferban said:

I like it! I painted mine in the Hammers of Sigmar colours. 

I think were I to pick up Thunderstrike though, to me they look almost like a different army, so good excuse to mix it up and choose a fresh scheme of my own creation. 

• Like 1

We can debate and discuss Hammers vs Hallowed color scheme until the next End Times, but I think there's a bit of an Occam's Razor here too: the sickly green hue of warpstone would overtake the gold of Hammers and anything gold would just look like green metal. I think it's partially a decision based on Skaven's color palette.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pizzaprez said:

However, I dislike whenever GW puts a "if you want to use X rules for Your Dudes, you gotta paint them 'right'" rule in place

Based on responses to a comment I made the other day, I think this was only ever a thing briefly in AoS once and the colour scheme specific rules sillyness is much more a 40k thing.

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

Based on responses to a comment I made the other day, I think this was only ever a thing briefly in AoS once and the colour scheme specific rules sillyness is much more a 40k thing.

oh yeah it was thankfully very short-lived in AoS; iirc it mostly impacted Kharadrons. The color scheme stuff was always crazy silly to me in 40k, where there is an in-universe explanation for some pink dudes rocking Ultramarines rules with the concept of Successor Chapters;  some of which look/act next to nothing like their parent chapters. Like, if you're not seeing the Death Company on the field i'd be hard-pressed to assume Lamenters were a Blood Angles successor at a glance.

2 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

oh yeah it was thankfully very short-lived in AoS; iirc it mostly impacted Kharadrons. The color scheme stuff was always crazy silly to me in 40k, where there is an in-universe explanation for some pink dudes rocking Ultramarines rules with the concept of Successor Chapters;  some of which look/act next to nothing like their parent chapters. Like, if you're not seeing the Death Company on the field i'd be hard-pressed to assume Lamenters were a Blood Angles successor at a glance.

For 40K, I can more or less understand it. As a couple of those different coloured marines got their own codex or supplement. This is something that didn't happen with SCE.

But for AoS it was never a thing. My StD are the legion of the first prince. I didn't paint them as in the battletome, nobody cares. 😉 

4 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

I think the colour scheme ruling was understandable for like, space marines since their subfactions have as many players as some other full factions. Everyone's marine armies were all of a sudden white scars or iron hands etc. depending on which rules were better. Stuff like tau septs where even GW gets the colour schemes wrong between books though is silly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I think the colour scheme ruling was understandable for like, space marines since their subfactions have as many players as some other full factions. Everyone's marine armies were all of a sudden white scars or iron hands etc. depending on which rules were better. Stuff like tau septs where even GW gets the colour schemes wrong between books though is silly

sort of get that, if successor chapters didn't exist. Like, why couldn't my pretend neon green Skrunkmarines be Blood Angels successors who specialize in motorcycles? If I wanted to play some games as Death Company and some games as White Scars, it's wild that GW wants me to buy two armies of marines just so I can paint them different colors. 

If GW makes their most recent marine book objectively better than the other flavors, maybe they should have reconsidered making half of the Warhammer 40k armies marine variants that mostly share kits? That sounds like a GW problem, not a hobbyist problem. Personally, I find the notion I can only use certain rules if I paint my space marine kits a certain color insulting, and I feel like it goes against a lot of what makes tabletop games appealing.

But GW not wanting their players to use their armies in more than one book/setting/game system is absolutely not going away based on current trends; no idea if the colors thing is still relevant in 40k but it grossed me out real hard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

We can debate and discuss Hammers vs Hallowed color scheme until the next End Times, but I think there's a bit of an Occam's Razor here too: the sickly green hue of warpstone would overtake the gold of Hammers and anything gold would just look like green metal. I think it's partially a decision based on Skaven's color palette.

That’s definitely a big part of it. Even since the Realmgate Wars the Silver armor styles were better for a contrast against all the grimy Pestilens & Nurgle corruption & warpstone.

skaven10.png
image.jpeg.21ad1683705315e635778cfe8801f8d9.jpeg

skaven3.jpg

but I do also think it has to do with Stormhost rotations too to avoid Ultramarine burn-out.

Hammers for 3rd against Orruks and big chaos gits like back when they tussled with Ironjawz(even inside the Gnarlwoods at that which was a 2016 thing)

Hallowed Knights now for their natural high resistance to magic & chaos corruption.

Anvils of the Heldenhammer next edition against Death

Possibly Astral Templars against Destruction and then either Hammers again or finally Celestial Warbringers or Celestial Vindicators get some love against Chaos.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 4

I’ve been around here for a couple of weeks now and I always forget to ask: Do you think we’re going to keep the ugly-old plague monks kit? GW didn’t include them on the “soon gone” skaven list and I fear we’re stuck with the same 20 year old models for who knows how much time…

After painting some of the plaguepack models there’s no chance at all I’m going to paint the old ones…

3 minutes ago, Mr_Whateley said:

I’ve been around here for a couple of weeks now and I always forget to ask: Do you think we’re going to keep the ugly-old plague monks kit? GW didn’t include them on the “soon gone” skaven list and I fear we’re stuck with the same 20 year old models for who knows how much time…

After painting some of the plaguepack models there’s no chance at all I’m going to paint the old ones…

Sadly, if it is not on the list, we are for the moment.