About to buy the Realm of Battle board

Hi all so I am about to buy this insanely expensive fresh new Shattered Dominion Realm of Battle board.

However I find it really hard to spend that amount of money on something that is not needed at all since we have a bunch of Fatmats that we usually play on. On the other hand I have always wanted that board so I might be looking for a bit of a review or thoughts from the good people at TGA.

So here’s a bunch of questions, I would like your thought on:

1. Since the Realm of Battle board is made of plastic how annoying is the sound of chukking a ton of dice on the table constantly? It’s AOS so this is quite relevant.

2. How solid is the tiles? Do they bend or break easily? 

3. How good do the tiles attach to each other? Are there any gaps? Does the plastic clamps holding the tiles break?

4. Does the paint come off once its been used and packed a bunch of times?

5. Lets pretend that money isn’t the issue here (which is way better than honestly addmitting that I just make stupid purcheses when I get excited about stuff). Is playing on the Shattered Dominion Realm table an enjoyable experience? Why?

The reason for this whole thread is based on the fact that I like the looks and texture of the Shattered Dominion tiles and really want them to be my Shyish gloomy nighttable for my Nighthaunts.

I can’t see a better way to get a beatiful table, when I wont have the time to make it my self. However whats the point in having an awesome looking table if reality is that everyone prefere to play on the smooth silent mousepad battlefields?!

Edited by Greasygeek

1. Mildly annoying, probably more so as you’re used to fatmats. You could use a felt dice box though  

2. Very solid, don’t tend to break. 

3.  Pretty well, the camps are pretty solid too. 

4. Yeah it can do, but some coats of  varnish should stop it really. 

It does look super awesome, I think the downsides are outweighed by the upsides. 

Edited by The Jabber Tzeentch
  • Like 1

I would not buy the Realm of battle board. a battle mat from various sources is cheaper and offers more diversity. Heck you can get battle mats (6‘ x 4‘) for 65-90€ and some of those might even be two sided.

battlemsts are easy to transport, resistant to rubbing etc. and they damp the sound of dice.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

1. Since the Realm of Battle board is made of plastic how annoying is the sound of chukking a ton of dice on the table constantly? It’s AOS so this is quite relevant.

I hate playing on them. I really dislike the feeling on my knuckles when I pick up the dice on these boards.

I have the old school one and as it has been flocked so the dice noise isn't an issue for me. I haven't had any problem with paint peeling off and mine is not varnished (the flock may have helped to avoid peeling).

Invest in some sheets of bubble wrap. I use three 2' by 2' sheets which I place between two painted sides packed together. I also place every second board in the plastic bags that it came with so even the undersides are not in direct contact when put away. Another recommendation would be some black cloth to put over your table to protect it before you place it down, it can definitely scratch table surfaces (this may help dampen dice noise too). A cloth may allow you to avoid using those pesky clips. They hold the table surface together very well but they make it really a real pain to put together and pack away. 

You may want to consider dice tray. I was lucky enough to be gifted two beautifully hand made wooden ones with a rubber surface applied to the base followed by a layer of black felt. They really help with the cocked dice. Warhammer TV has some great painting guides on the Shattered Dominion tiles you may wish to check out if you haven't already.

Also, they look fantastic. 

Edited by Greyshadow

I have the original and honestly I prefer roll up mats.  You can get a wider array of mat designs for different tables, they are cheaper, they are flatter and so easier to put terrain on, they are easier to store, and models are less prone to sliding around on a mat.

The clip system for the original board is just terrible.  It is a royal pain to get the clips in and get the table set up with them.  I no longer bother trying to use the clips.  I now simply use rolled up non-stick plastic sheets meant to line kitchen cabinet shelves.  Put a few of those down on the table and then set the board up on them and it won’t move.

The boards are high quality and very durable.  I just painted mine and the paint has not worn off through use.  I bought some cheap felt and cut it into large squares that I place between the boards when I store it.  I don’t dislike playing on the board, but I still prefer mats more in all honesty.

• Like 1

Had one,,painted it up,even used it in a couple of local tournaments.The biggest complaint from players is that the molded cracks in the ground of it are a nightmare with dice as you end up with several getting cocked landing in them,that and of course the noise.

Sold it late last year to buy more models:)

Solution to all the dice issues - Dice Tray. 

Dice Trays also generally solve most dice problems from odd landing angles; going under the table even getting mixed up with your opponents or scattering into wound dice markers and the like. KR Multicase make a really nice accessory case which doubles as a dice tray - carry your dice in it; pop the lid off and now you've got a nice dice tray to roll into. 

I actually like both mats and  the realm of battle boards (I've got the originals with molded hills).  The boards are more practical for me as they sit on the dining table with an overhang - I don't need to find someway of storing a massive sheet of MDF or chipboard which a mat would need.  Mine are now painted (which took ages, but Plastikote spray cans are your friend and not has any chipping (used a few layers of paint and sealant)).  Dice rattle can be a bit annoying and they can fly much further if you put too much welly in them - as people say though, a dice tray is a better solution.

I do have a slight leaning towards the realm of battle boards - ours is a tactile hobby and going "that's a river of souls" on a mat isn't quite as cool as the same sculpted feature on a board!

• Like 1