Best ways to introduce a new player

Hey Everyone!

My wife recently expressed some interest in learning how to play AoS. She has a lot of experience with reasonably complex board games, but none with tabletop games. I already have 3 full armies of at least 2k points and a bunch of random models, but was thinking about ordering the Storm Strike Starter Set, since that seems like a pretty good jumping in point. I probably need to keep the game time and complexity pretty short so I don't end up spending an hour explaining rules before we play, but still want the game to feel thematic.

What do people thing is the best way to introduce the game to a new player? Starter Sets, Scenarios, or experiences on what went well?

19 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Hey Everyone!

My wife recently expressed some interest in learning how to play AoS. She has a lot of experience with reasonably complex board games, but none with tabletop games. I already have 3 full armies of at least 2k points and a bunch of random models, but was thinking about ordering the Storm Strike Starter Set, since that seems like a pretty good jumping in point. I probably need to keep the game time and complexity pretty short so I don't end up spending an hour explaining rules before we play, but still want the game to feel thematic.

What do people thing is the best way to introduce the game to a new player? Starter Sets, Scenarios, or experiences on what went well?

I’d start with around 500-1000points and not more.

go for a more open play in other words leave the allegiance ability’s away for the first 2 or so games.

after she/he understood and really likes the game, I’d start putting in the extra allegiance ability’s.

also I would just play a game of who kills the most units/models instead of trying to control objectives, it’s easier for you the mentor to teach the system and also easier for the student to remeber the game, go slowly, have fun, and don’t use a too strong armylist against somebody who is just starting.

Just some pointers  from somebody who has played a few of such introgames (as the mentor)

anyways I hope my Knowledge will be helpful to you😉.

And happy wargaming.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Thanks 1

Start with skirmish. If she likes mechanics maybe a small (narrative) campaign and then some bigger games starting with 500pts and scaling up every couple of games. 

Thats how I roped in friends recently and hope to rope in my girlfriend someday. 

The main problem it helps with is complexity of the games. And as a result the duration. 

You could even do the first game with only melee troops, game two add some archers, game three a wizard, game four play the six game campaign  and let her build the list, make mistakes and after game six go to a 500-750 pts game. 

The looking up rules is what makes the game last long and can be frustrating. Especially when starting out and turn 2 you realise the mistake you made turn 1 and now you ‘wasted’ an hour on that only to give up or restart. Skirmish is much more forgiving in my mind. (And if she wants an own force she will be able to play her own miniatures faster)

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! That's all good advice. I like the idea of starting really small and building it up, and that does probably play well in a skirmish setting. Sometime it feels like really wonky things can happen in skirmish (anything that does a mortal wounds bubble for example), but that's probably pretty easy to avoid I specifically pick out the forces before hand.

• Like 1

A few thoughts:

1) Skirmish is ideal as an intro because its really small and she can start with just a handful of models - low investment, low commitment and it works at that scale. It's better than "ok so to get started first you need 5 boxes and assemble at least 40 or more models and then you've got just a 500 point army that sort of works but really is only just getting warmed up and some factions won't work so you really need to double all that to 1K points. By which point even enthusiastic people can get burnout. 

Skirmish eases people into the setting, the lore, the act of buying, building, painting models and playing with them. 

2) Don't forget some people like painting and building more than gaming, so do try her out on that side of things too. 

3) Take her to the store or the GW website and have her go through a few of the armies for the game. let her have time to view all the models for an army and see which she likes and doesn't like.

Personally I find going through each army and openign a tab for each model and then closing tabs on any I dislike works well for getting a measure of ones like of an army. 

Don't make it a trial/chore just encourage her to have a look at the different forces on offer and give her a sense of the flavour of each. "those are murder elves - they woreship a fallen god who has his heart stolen by a massive snake woman who steals his power for her own ends. They wield deadly blades and dance into battle, dodging blows and dealing out deathly slicing cuts and stabs; aiming to steal and feast upon the hearts of their foes. Or sacrifice them on bloody alters for more power from their god" Ergo instil some of the fantasy and awe and mad magic of the world 

• Thanks 1

One technique video game designers apply for the game's tutorial is to give newcomers five easy wins. In AOS this might mean letting her claim objectives first, setting your up weaker units against her stronger ones, playing defensively with your strong units, etc. not to throw the game, but put your noobie cap on and play at below your level. After certain moves you can regret a bad decision and explain why. Every new player I've introduced over the years was more likely to come back if they won their first game.

• Thanks 1

I slightly different take on this... I had a 2k army when I wanted to introduce my girlfriend to the game and just split it in 2 and played a proper game.  To me the game only plays how it is meant to once you go 1k or above AND playing objectives.   If you think she will like the gaming side more than the modelling side then I would say you have to start at 1k.   You already have the armies so just make a 1k one for her.   Then play a scenario like Border War but only using core rules and warscrolls (I.e no allegiance abilities etc)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Hey Everyone!

Shadespire is also a good gateway. All the new converts.. I mean, players our local shop have played shadespire first. 

I would tell tou to let her choose a start collecting. Let her see the models, give her a little backstory for each pne that she shows interest and inform a bit about it is playstyle.

This way she will have a taste of the lore, models and style and have a say in the matter.

Try and make the assembly/painting a couples thing too. Did it with my wife and it kinda worked!

• Like 1

I wouldn't start from skirmish because it's not how the big aos is supposed to be played and there isn't much difference in number of models comparing to what I'll suggest.
I'd say - pick a Start Collecting for her, and one for yourself (may build yours from your existing models, if you do that - search google for that SC battalion)
Then pick a simple scenario or roll on open war table in ghb (maybe it was in core book, can't remember) put models on a table and clash! Don't use allegiances at all, only core rules, scenario, warscrolls and SC battalion (maybe not in the first game), shouldn't be too much to begin with, even my friends who aren't very good with English learned basics fast.

Also write down a cheat-sheet for her with all she can do in each phase with her force.

I recently played a first game with my girlfriend too and I’d recommend playing objectives - we went with just kill the other army and it din’t feel as fun. As others have said I’d leave out allegiance abilities and the like to focus on the basics. Also be sure to really know the rules well, I’m not very experienced so it was hard to keep the flow of the game going while making sure I didn’t forget anything and looking up the unit stats etc.

I’m almost contemplating asking my wife to play with me.  I don’t get much time off work and we spend most of the time I do with each other so I want to see if she would like to learn.  We played Risk a few years ago and she stomped us all.  her ultra competitive attitude could really create a monster lol.  

Skirmish seems like a good idea if you want to teach the core mechanics to someone who has never played a table top game like Warhammer before.  Perhaps moving the second game up into a few units and an objective based battle plan would be the best second step.  I think it really just comes down to their willingness to learn the game as much as spending the time together.  

What a story it would be for someone’s wife who was getting tired of all the spending and long hours of painting and playing away from home To finally understand the hobby.  You could brag that Warhammer saved your marriage hahahah. 

1. Lend your army to lower barrier of game-play
  2. Play narrative game DnD style instead of battle plans
  3. Balance the game to allow the new player to score a hard won victory
  4. Encourage them to start low model count armies that are less daunting as compared to hordes
  5. Try Warhammer Underworld, Nightvault set is a good entry point with models to paint
  6. Engage and get validated on social media. A single Facebook/Instagram post about Warhammer that generates hundreds of likes and new followers can be a surprisingly effective motivation for some people
  7. There will definitely be exceptions to this but I did hear from store managers of GW Stores and FLGS that female customers generally tend to lean towards painting instead of gaming. Hence, painting  and spending time to research and try out new complex painting techniques might be more appealing for her. But again this will depend on individuals.
  8. Lastly, try not to play too competitively with your wife. My friend learnt this the hard way by spending the night on the couch. No regrets. 🤣

Edited by InSaint

2 hours ago, InSaint said:
  1. Lend your army to lower barrier of game-play
  2. Play narrative game DnD style instead of battle plans
  3. Balance the game to allow the new player to score a hard won victory
  4. Encourage them to start low model count armies that are less daunting as compared to hordes
  5. Try Warhammer Underworld, Nightvault set is a good entry point with models to paint
  6. Engage and get validated on social media. A single Facebook/Instagram post about Warhammer that generates hundreds of likes and new followers can be a surprisingly effective motivation for some people
  7. There will definitely be exceptions to this but I did hear from store managers of GW Stores and FLGS that female customers generally tend to lean towards painting instead of gaming. Hence, painting  and spending time to research and try out new complex painting techniques might be more appealing for her. But again this will depend on individuals.
  8. Lastly, try not to play too competitively with your wife. My friend learnt this the hard way by spending the night on the couch. No regrets. 🤣

I wouldn’t go so far as to rolfstomp her because she’s knew.  I know for a fact once she understands how to play she’d be having the upper hand, nefarious woman that she is hahahaha 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:22 PM, Kramer said:

Start with skirmish. If she likes mechanics maybe a small (narrative) campaign and then some bigger games starting with 500pts and scaling up every couple of games. 

Thats how I roped in friends recently and hope to rope in my girlfriend someday. 

The main problem it helps with is complexity of the games. And as a result the duration. 

You could even do the first game with only melee troops, game two add some archers, game three a wizard, game four play the six game campaign  and let her build the list, make mistakes and after game six go to a 500-750 pts game. 

The looking up rules is what makes the game last long and can be frustrating. Especially when starting out and turn 2 you realise the mistake you made turn 1 and now you ‘wasted’ an hour on that only to give up or restart. Skirmish is much more forgiving in my mind. (And if she wants an own force she will be able to play her own miniatures faster)

I started AOS and the hobby 3,5 years ago with my boys (9 and 6 at the time) and yes we slowly started with the scenarii from the Stromcast/Khorne 1st edition box. very good learning curve, and since completely into the game, even participating with the boys to AOS turnaments each 2 months for 2 years now in Switzerland and France (1st 40K one next month). it is now a family hobby, with boys starting to be better than me at playing, but I still be the one painting most of the figs.

Just start with some quick games, with your different srmies to show the differences and then add complexity slowly. 

Also a book or a battletome to read for the fluff and some youtube videos ( it works better with my boys) for fluff/ army rules/ battle reports  and then nothing else matters than AOS

• Like 1